Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Overheating, weird color coolant, coolant all over engine.. pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:24 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Overheating, weird color coolant, coolant all over engine.. pictures

so far what i have been reading is that i may have air bubbles in my cooling system.. this is what i am hoping for... I noticed Sunday that i had coolant all over my hood and when i looked under the hood i see coolant had been all over the engine.

I never had an over heating problem until today, i noticed my temp gauge was all the way up to H. I am really hoping its not headlift since i am only running 5.5 PSI on a Greddy Kit..

anyone want to take a look a the pictures and give an idea?

Old 07-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Weqster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u are blowing boost into ur coolant sleeves. Sorry to say, ur headgasket is toast.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:01 PM
k3silk

hope he is wrong... by the way is that a rev up motor?
Old 07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
doug

Originally Posted by k3silk
hope he is wrong... by the way is that a rev up motor?
nah.. 03 ..

i am hoping and praying its either bubbles in the system or thermostat...

i hardly boost.. so i am hoping that luck is on my side... that and my EGT's have never gone over 1500
Old 07-11-2006, 05:17 PM
VN_350z
Banned

this is no way done by air bubbles in coolant system. This is busted head gasket...boost pressure got in there
Old 07-11-2006, 05:29 PM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

or you could of boiled over the fluid and it simply overflowed the overflow tank and squirted everywhere. its happened to me and its happened to my buddy's car. i wouldnt say you have a blows gasket yet. people jump to conclusions way to fast
Old 07-11-2006, 05:30 PM
k3silk

what is a good way to prevent this?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Doug,
Get the car in when you can for a check up. Could have just overflown out of the resevior tank.I highly doubt you lifted a head at 4 psi, car might have simpy overheated....Did it get hot then go right back down?Or was it running hot for a while??
Old 07-11-2006, 06:28 PM
doug

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Doug,
Get the car in when you can for a check up. Could have just overflown out of the resevior tank.I highly doubt you lifted a head at 4 psi, car might have simpy overheated....Did it get hot then go right back down?Or was it running hot for a while??
just happened tonight on my way home, 10 min drive, i parked it immediately. It was hot for about 5 mins... I would have to setup to tow it down to NJ.. i don't feel safe driving it to NJ
Old 07-11-2006, 06:32 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by doug
just happened tonight on my way home, 10 min drive, i parked it immediately. It was hot for about 5 mins... I would have to setup to tow it down to NJ.. i don't feel safe driving it to NJ
Doug,
It could have been air bubbles or a thermostat that caused it to run hot. However it could have also blown a headgasket if it was run to hot for to long regardless of EGT's Check the oil and let me know if it is "milky or Murky" looking, like Brownish instead of black or gold depending...Also how is it running since?Has the temps gon back up or did it go right back down after you restarted it?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:36 PM
doug

Doug,
It could have been air bubbles or a thermostat that caused it to run hot. However it could have also blown a headgasket if it was run to hot for to long regardless of EGT's Check the oil and let me know if it is "milky or Murky" looking, like Brownish instead of black or gold depending...Also how is it running since?Has the temps gon back up or did it go right back down after you restarted it?
i havn't restarted it yet... i will check it tommorow... its too dark out now to check it. I was going to have the thermostat and bubbles in the cooling system checked on Saturday and just drive my jeep for the mean time.

I will let you know how the oil looks tommorow
Old 07-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

i havn't restarted it yet... i will check it tommorow... its too dark out now to check it. I was going to have the thermostat and bubbles in the cooling system checked on Saturday and just drive my jeep for the mean time.

I will let you know how the oil looks tommorow
Kool.
Keep me posted, I really dont think you would have blown a headgasket at low boost levels,I have run from 7-18 psi on a stock headgasket..
Old 07-11-2006, 06:43 PM
doug

Kool.
Keep me posted, I really dont think you would have blown a headgasket at low boost levels,I have run from 7-18 psi on a stock headgasket..
I sure hope so... i will let you know
Old 07-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I sure hope so... i will let you know
looks like a boil over, dont think anything is to messed up..Look like some rust from the radiator floating on the surface..
Old 07-11-2006, 07:07 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Kool.
Max(chris) sent me the link to this and gave me some background info. If he was running the out of box tune, he could have very well had small detonation occuring since day one due to timing, fuel or both. These small explosions could have worked over the stock head gasket even at those low boost levels.

I had my thermostat go out on my car a couple months ago. while a fair amount of coolant was pushed out, I didn't have anything like what is shown in those pics. That looks fairly violent and the remnants in the coolant are not reassuring.

There is a test kit you can buy that you put on top of your radiator and suck the gases from the cooling system through a solution to test for by products of combustion. I bought and used this to test my car when I was trouble shooting.

I for one don't see this as being a thermostat or air bubbles not being bleed from the system properly. My reccomendation is tear the engine down and drop in some forged internals, get the mating surfaces machined flat, reinstall the TT kit and get a proper tune from the start.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Zivman
Max(chris) sent me the link to this and gave me some background info. If he was running the out of box tune, he could have very well had small detonation occuring since day one due to timing, fuel or both. These small explosions could have worked over the stock head gasket even at those low boost levels.

I had my thermostat go out on my car a couple months ago. while a fair amount of coolant was pushed out, I didn't have anything like what is shown in those pics. That looks fairly violent and the remnants in the coolant are not reassuring.

There is a test kit you can buy that you put on top of your radiator and suck the gases from the cooling system through a solution to test for by products of combustion. I bought and used this to test my car when I was trouble shooting.

I for one don't see this as being a thermostat or air bubbles not being bleed from the system properly. My reccomendation is tear the engine down and drop in some forged internals, get the mating surfaces machined flat, reinstall the TT kit and get a proper tune from the start.
Well this is hard to diagnose over the internet.From the pictures it does not look as violent of a discharge of fluid as you seem to make it out to be, it is limited to the area of the overflow tank. It very well could be the case however only time will tell with a proper diagnosis..
Old 07-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first of all the pics look like the coolant boiled over do to a stuck thermostat or lack of coolant, with a greddy TT kit, the coolant lines run right next to the exhaust manifolds and other places that get really hot. this could easily leak out coolant and cause the motor to overheat

when FI on these motors you really need to watch the coolant temp at all time and if it gets above halfway it needs to be shut down immediately.

if the motor was overheated at all, this could have caused serious damage to the aluminum heads or block. very important to make sure everyone pays attention to the gauge...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
when FI on these motors you really need to watch the coolant temp at all time and if it gets above halfway it needs to be shut down immediately.
even better get a after market water temp gauge. you'll see what a POS the factory gauge is once you have an after market temp gauge.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

exactly, watching the UTEC and the actual coolant temp, i notice that the gauge doesnt even move with a 20-30 F degree difference....

WTF

my gauges are on order right now actually...
Old 07-11-2006, 07:57 PM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

man if you let it cool down properly your heads will be fine, to many people worrying about stuff like that, ive seen boilovers left and right for years. dont sweat it. check the fluid level, bleed the system and start her up see how she is. just relax everything will be fine

Quick Reply: Overheating, weird color coolant, coolant all over engine.. pictures