Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 02:44 PM
AParshall04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chimmike
let me get this straight, you were running higher than stock boost on the reflash, on 91 octane, and I see no mention of a wideband sensor.....

WERE YOU RUNNING A WIDEBAND SENSOR?

seems to me this is more your fault than the kit's fault.
Agreed
Old 07-25-2006, 02:49 PM
PumpedVA

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Please don't take offense to this, but I am so sick of all the "this is why I don't go FI" pansies. If you won't take the risk because you can't afford a new motor or if you are just to scared that's fine, but STFU already. Some of us don't give a *** if the motor blows or can afford a new motor without thinking about it twice........we'll just rebuild! Bigger and Better!

sorry to hear about your motor xluv. Don't worry things will get better and after you drive the car on the built motor you aren't going to sell anything.

+1
Old 07-25-2006, 02:54 PM
njsho

Originally Posted by Gman2004
Please don't take offense to this, but I am so sick of all the "this is why I don't go FI" pansies. If you won't take the risk because you can't afford a new motor or if you are just to scared that's fine, but STFU already. Some of us don't give a *** if the motor blows or can afford a new motor without thinking about it twice........we'll just rebuild! Bigger and Better!

sorry to hear about your motor xluv. Don't worry things will get better and after you drive the car on the built motor you aren't going to sell anything.
Yes, but you are the minority instead of the majority. Most people do care if their motors blow up. So if someone is searching for info about turbo kits it would be helpfull for them to see that this does happen and that it isn't a small thing to fix.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:55 PM
chimmike

Originally Posted by njsho
Yes, but you are the minority instead of the majority. Most people do care if their motors blow up. So if someone is searching for info about turbo kits it would be helpfull for them to see that this does happen and that it isn't a small thing to fix.

yes, but if you are smart, many times this can be avoided. Like this instance......
Old 07-25-2006, 02:56 PM
PumpedVA

And full of hidden cost! Plus going to be more than a month
Old 07-25-2006, 03:05 PM
IslandZavage

Sorry to hear about your ride..

The day i drop of my Z to get FI'd, i wont let it leave without a tune..... Imma pay for everything up front.. and call me when its 100% good to go...
Old 07-25-2006, 03:08 PM
chimmike

Originally Posted by IslandZavage

The day i drop of my Z to get FI'd, i wont let it leave without a tune..... Imma pay for everything up front.. and call me when its 100% good to go...

TN reflash is fine if you're not dumb about it. Most stock out of the box tune kits like APS and JWT and Vortech are fine.

I'm still waiting to see if this kid was even running a wideband.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:12 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by njsho
thats not his point.. his point is.. if you are more interested in enjoying FI than you engine blowing.. then this is the place for you...

if you are more paranoid about blowing your engine that you won't do FI.. why the fck are you in the FI forum..

thats his point
Old 07-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Oleg

Guys, give him a break. He's upset enough about his motor being blown, his DD being down and his marriage plans afected.
I know that all of you here are big turbo experts, but I am positive that the last thing he needs rubbed in his face right now is that this is his fault, even if that's the case. Can you find a way to add inches to your internet penises without doing so at someone's expence?
Old 07-25-2006, 03:14 PM
sbcbaseball

Gotta have big ***** to go FI babyyyyy
Old 07-25-2006, 03:15 PM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandZavage

+1 on that, I will also be running Utec! not the crap out of the box.

Installation is a big thing I will only go to a place that is reputable and knows how to install a Turbo on a VQ motor.

Like everyone said just rebuild it better and stronger, you already spent 5-8k whats a little more!!
Old 07-25-2006, 03:19 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by 03redlineZ
Like everyone said just rebuild it better and stronger, you already spent 5-8k whats a little more!!
Not quite THAT little...
Old 07-25-2006, 03:25 PM
HKS350z

Sorry to hear about your loss man...I've spoken to you before right after you got the kit installed...Hate to see you have to get rid of the kit or the car...Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:49 PM
iyah

so was he running on stock internals and EM??
Old 07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
S12 driver

Sorry to hear that, the cheapest way to go is probably get a low mile engine from a wrecked Z and swap that in. The Z engine's strength varies a lot, some people have no problem at 450+hp, so blew at less than 400hp. Good luck with your build/repair.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:14 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by 03redlineZ
+1 on that, I will also be running Utec! not the crap out of the box.

Installation is a big thing I will only go to a place that is reputable and knows how to install a Turbo on a VQ motor.

^^
Seems like this thread mostly consists of NA scrubs that have no idea what they're talking about...

It is very likely this has nothing to do with the "out of the box" tune that is the reflashed ECU. In fact, take a look at the history of motor failures on ST kits and you'll see there have been failures even with kits utilizing full fuel return systems and UTEC tuning. These kits also demonstrated no signs of detonation, but still the rods failed all the same.

The problem, and strong point, of these single turbo kits are the massive amounts of torque being applied to the connecting rods in the low/midrange powerband. (For instance, my car is putting down as much midrange torque as a TT kit at 450+whp, all before 4000 rpms)

This, also coupled with bad driving habits such as bouncing off the rev limiter, downshifting into too low of a gear, and also upping the stock rev limiter with the kit all are a big contribution to engine failure. -- I'm not saying this is the case in every situation, but they are big factors. The fact that someone says their motor let go at 3000 rpms while cruising just points to previous conditions (as the ones stated above) weakening the rod at which it finally fails, seemingly randomly, and catastrophically.

As Mike pointed out, the only way this would be related to the reflash is if the user 1) altered the setup with exhaust and intake mods wihout verifying AFR's, 2) Did not very AFR's in the first place by running on the dyno or wideband, 3) Installed the kit incorrectly.

Either way, the failure is not directly an issue with the reflash, but rather the owner's failure to remedy any issues that might have arisen with the out of the box tune. This is because if there was an issue, it is up to the user to verify safe operation and remedy this before running the car in boost.

There is also the issue of "boost creep" involved with the old wastegate pipes. If the user has not taken precautions to remedy this such as installing the wastegate pipe that was provided by Turbonetics free of charge, or installing a softer wastegate spring, then they shouldn't be surprised when they run into problems.

Blaming it on an out of the box tune is just idiocy, as it is the user's job to verify that the reflash/tune is working *properly* before ever taking the car on the streets. Would you tune your car without actually running it on the dyno to verify the custom tune??? No, why would you do this with the reflash and expect it to be perfect?

To the OP - this is not directed at you but rather to those who responded. I'm sorry to hear about your motor but as you know, this is something that we all should be prepared to face. Good luck with your rebuild.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:23 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bring the car to orlando and i will fix it for 2500, i will put a long block in and throw your turbo kit on it...

not kidding, pm me if interested
Old 07-25-2006, 04:31 PM
GMZ

Originally Posted by audiblemayhem
bring the car to orlando and i will fix it for 2500, i will put a long block in and throw your turbo kit on it...

not kidding, pm me if interested
Any pics yet?
Its a risk that we all take when we go FI, and should always be ready for. Even if you dont want to go all out built motor should something happen, at least be ready to repair the engine/go back to stock. I just put on my Vortech and got up and running this weekend. Didnt even take it past 3k till I got on dyno and had it tuned real conservative. Its still in the back of my mind when I go through the tunnel though! "You pay to play".............

Last edited by GMZ; 07-25-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:41 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another blown turbo
Old 07-25-2006, 04:46 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No wonder you didnt buy my single exhaust. Sucks to hear. Where you really using 91 octane at 9psi or did read that incorrectly. 8k on the turbo isnt much but again ya nevr know. Good luck with the rebuild. Dont give up now.

Quick Reply: Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..