Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 PM
xluv2eatx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..

Story:

So i was going on 610 east, doing about 70....i didnt gun it or punch it or anything.....when all of a sudden i heard clanking and saw some smoke. i pulled over to the shoulder when to see if i have a flat, but didnt. looked under the car, saw nothing but oil pouring from the engine. so i just waited for a tow truck...

when it finally gets towed to SGP racing, mark says, "im not surprised" then he says, "those kits have nothing but problems"....lol
so he puts it on a lift and takes off the crossmember and right under there is a 2-3 inch hole in the block. i dont have pics, sorry. but this sux....im so pissed right now all i can do is laugh......i dont know why.

i talked to mark to see what hes gotta do now and from what hes told me, its gonna be about a $7000 fix.....

these are just my opinions, but to me, it seems like with this kit its problem after problem....its actually getting to be too much. my G/F is pissed cuz we arent gonna get married sooner that what i expected because of just what happened...i gotta spend $7000.....and now, i have no car for a month, i dont even know how im gonna get to work. The z was my DD.

i think its time for me to call it quits, i havent decided yet. but when i do get my car back, i might have to let her go....
Old 07-25-2006, 12:53 PM
g35_anonymous

i'm sorry to hear that... good luck with everything.

i'll assume that you were running a stock bottom end... what psi were you running when car go boom.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:54 PM
captj3

Sorry to hear this. Don't let it go you can always get a motor from a junk yard with low mileage and sell the kit.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:57 PM
EM-EFER

Why not just buy a short block for 2K. If it didnt damage the head nor the turbo you might be all good and save yourself around 2K.. It will take around 1500 to have someone piece it back together and around 700-1000 to reinstall the motor and Turbo.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:57 PM
CFaddict350z
Banned

Damn dude sorry to hear about that. Thats exactly why I am against FI, especially when you have other priorities in life man.. Im in your same boat. I can justify going FI for fun,, but I cannot justify paying that much mor for a built bottom end or a new stock block cause all these kits suck...
Old 07-25-2006, 12:58 PM
xluv2eatx

Originally Posted by g35_anonymous
i'm sorry to hear that... good luck with everything.

i'll assume that you were running a stock bottom end... what psi were you running when car go boom.

i wasnt even boosting, i think i was at like 2600 rms in sixth gear, but the psi is set at 9psi....
Old 07-25-2006, 12:59 PM
xluv2eatx

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
Why not just buy a short block for 2K. If it didnt damage the head nor the turbo you might be all good and save yourself around 2K.. It will take around 1500 to have someone piece it back together and around 700-1000 to reinstall the motor and Turbo.

sgp is charging me about 2200 for labor...give or take a few....thats putting the turbo back on....never did ask how much without....
Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by xluv2eatx
Story:

So i was going on 610 east, doing about 70....i didnt gun it or punch it or anything.....when all of a sudden i heard clanking and saw some smoke. i pulled over to the shoulder when to see if i have a flat, but didnt. looked under the car, saw nothing but oil pouring from the engine. so i just waited for a tow truck...

when it finally gets towed to SGP racing, mark says, "im not surprised" then he says, "those kits have nothing but problems"....lol
so he puts it on a lift and takes off the crossmember and right under there is a 2-3 inch hole in the block. i dont have pics, sorry. but this sux....im so pissed right now all i can do is laugh......i dont know why.

i talked to mark to see what hes gotta do now and from what hes told me, its gonna be about a $7000 fix.....

these are just my opinions, but to me, it seems like with this kit its problem after problem....its actually getting to be too much. my G/F is pissed cuz we arent gonna get married sooner that what i expected because of just what happened...i gotta spend $7000.....and now, i have no car for a month, i dont even know how im gonna get to work. The z was my DD.

i think its time for me to call it quits, i havent decided yet. but when i do get my car back, i might have to let her go....
Really sorry to hear that.
If you remove the kit and put it up for sale, the $$ you'll get for it should buy you a used stock motor, you'll probably not lose any more noney beyond what you've paid for this thing so far...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by CFaddict350z
Damn dude sorry to hear about that. Thats exactly why I am against FI, especially when you have other priorities in life man.. Im in your same boat. I can justify going FI for fun,, but I cannot justify paying that much mor for a built bottom end or a new stock block cause all these kits suck...

Oh yes, the Tri-State Paranoid N/A club chymes in...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:06 PM
cvt

i wonder why the turbo kits are going boom and not the hks and vortchs??..they are both FI...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:07 PM
CFaddict350z
Banned

Originally Posted by Oleg
Oh yes, the Tri-State Paranoid N/A club chymes in...
Damn dog! I though you were on my side with the logical reasoning!! lol def not paranoid, very careful with my spending and investments
Old 07-25-2006, 01:11 PM
xluv2eatx

Really sorry to hear that.
If you remove the kit and put it up for sale, the $$ you'll get for it should buy you a used stock motor, you'll probably not lose any more noney beyond what you've paid for this thing so far...

i doubt ill get much for the kit....maybe 2000, if im lucky...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:12 PM
JasiJ

xluv2eatx....sorry to hear about this!
how many miles did you have on the kit? What was your EM?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:15 PM
xluv2eatx

i only had put about 8,000 miles on the kit and about em, i hadnt installed i yet. i had an appointment with sgp to get it finely tuned in 2 weeks. they are swamped...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by cvt
i wonder why the turbo kits are going boom and not the hks and vortchs??..they are both FI...
I do believe that the consensus on this issue is that the boost level of the centrifugals is dependent on RPM and they only reach full boost at redline. Also the boost rises more gradually as opposed to turbos.
Also there are much fewer people that have gone for higher power levels with SC's then turbos, therefore there were less chances to f. stuff up while running a blower.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by CFaddict350z
Damn dog! I though you were on my side with the logical reasoning!! lol def not paranoid, very careful with my spending and investments
Check my new sig...
Old 07-25-2006, 01:18 PM
JasiJ

Originally Posted by xluv2eatx
i only had put about 8,000 miles on the kit and about em, i hadnt installed i yet. i had an appointment with sgp to get it finely tuned in 2 weeks. they are swamped...
So just so everyone on the boards understands, you were running stock with no EM or tune after your turbo install? or am I misunderstanding?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:19 PM
JasiJ

Check my new sig...
Your too funny Oleg! I love it!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:21 PM
cvt

I do believe that the consensus on this issue is that the boost level of the centrifugals is dependent on RPM and they only reach full boost at redline. Also the boost rises more gradually as opposed to turbos.
Also there are much fewer people that have gone for higher power levels with SC's then turbos, therefore there were less chances to f. stuff up while running a blower.
gotcha...i forgot the centrifugals don't reach peak boost till later while the turbos come in earlier...

still....9psi boost isn't very much. i'm surprised the VQ is so tender. i got he impression that since we only have 10:5:1 comp. then it would be great to boost.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:28 PM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt
gotcha...i forgot the centrifugals don't reach peak boost till later while the turbos come in earlier...

still....9psi boost isn't very much. i'm surprised the VQ is so tender. i got he impression that since we only have 10:5:1 comp. then it would be great to boost.
10:5:1 Compression is REALLy high for a Turbo engine 8:5:1 is preferred.

The answer is most likely since you didnt have your car tuned!!! Not because you have FI!! There are plenty of people running FI on their stock VQ with little to no problems.The Turbo and SC kits out there are all pretty good, Greddy, Power Enterprise, Jim Wolf Tech, HKS, etc.

Case ended running around with a 10:5:1 compression non forged pistons and rods without a tune is a great way to blow your engine up.

Quick Reply: Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..