Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:26 PM
geezin56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg
One day and five pages. Topics so far:

1) Condolences to the driver
2) Turbo experts showing off
3) The ballers having a ******* measuring contest
4) TN vs. APS round 109812389712368162

What's next?
Oleg, I think that about sums it up.....

To the OP, best of luck with the fix/rebuild.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:23 PM
taurran

Why don't you all wait to blame it on tuning until he pulls the pistons. If they're blown to hell by detonation, then have at it. Just remember, that if a car is detonating and running poorly, it is entirely up to the owner to remedy it.

It would be the same for an APS, Vortech, or Greddy owner that installed the kit with extra modifications and ran the car on the stock tune. If that car blew, what would you blame it on?
Old 07-26-2006, 09:31 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

One day and five pages. Topics so far:

1) Condolences to the driver
2) Turbo experts showing off
3) The ballers having a ******* measuring contest
4) TN vs. APS round 109812389712368162

What's next?
You left out the MIAPlaya defense team.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:01 PM
Weqster

4 comments:

* Too the person blaming the compression ratio. LAMO. Grow some *****, the honda crowd has been boosting 11.2:1 motors for years now without problems. All high comp means is u need a good tune and good fuel. boosting on 91 doesnt cut it IMO.

* To the OP, Swap in another stock motor. It will save u time and money. If u do build ur motor though, be happy with 400whp and watch how reliable it will be.

* Building a boosted VQ need not cost 7+k. Simply add pistons and rods with a hone of the cylinders and u will have a competant, 400-450whp hella reliable daily driver. People confusing making ****loads of power with building motors. It doesnt have to be the case.

* The reason why so many VQ's blow up is two fold. 1 reason is that the manufactures of ALL the kits give way too many promises and not enough education. n00bs + aftermarket FI = disaster. There are way too many people on this board with more money then brains. Look at all the honda and drift kids. They research a ****load, they gather information and they LEARN from other peoples mistakes.... Driving on an untuned car... driving on basemaps... driving without gauges... driving without octane... driving without sense...!
Old 07-26-2006, 10:44 PM
MIAPLAYA

Sorry to hear about this. I've been away on business for a couple weeks and really need to catch up. I find it interesting that is Mark's opinion. Even more so that I haven't had a single issue in 30k+ miles and that you have had the kit on your car for a VERY long time now.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:26 AM
xluv2eatx

ok, sorry i havent been on lately

from what i see, i started a war...sorry about that...

let me say a few things:

im not blaming anybody. im not blaming SGP for installing the kit, or turbonetics for making the kit.
about tuning. i had not EMS. i was just running the flash and was going to get the car tuned 2 weeks exactly from now.
i did have a aftermarket exhuast, it was a topspeed pro1. and thats the reason why i was going to get the car tuned.
when the kit was installed, kyle at sgp was said i was boosting 9psi at 11:1, he told me, "it was safe". this was on 93 oct. but once i put the exhasut on, i bet that changed.
but when i did dyno it (with stock exhaust), i only dynoed 346 in 4th gear. i dont know what kind of dyno it was though, maybe those who live in houston can chyme in on what type of dyno AUTOLOGIC has.

mia: yes, the kit has been on for a long time, and yes the z is my DD, but work is not too far from me. and i drive my GF's car on the weekends. i think ive had the kit on for like 9 months, and ive only put about 8k miles on it, give or take a few.

well, if ive missed something, please let me know...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:27 AM
xluv2eatx

I appreciate all the kind words fellas...thanks for the support...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:36 AM
xluv2eatx

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Sorry to hear about this. I've been away on business for a couple weeks and really need to catch up. I find it interesting that is Mark's opinion. Even more so that I haven't had a single issue in 30k+ miles and that you have had the kit on your car for a VERY long time now.

yea i was surprised that was marks opinion, but he said, that this kit has problems. from what hes told me, he said that he even gets flown out of town to fix lots of engines with the the turbonetics kits on. i dont know what the problems are or anything, but those are his words not mine.

oh and for those who think the kit was installed incorrectly...SGP did all the install...and mark was the one that installed the kit.

thanx
Old 07-27-2006, 07:19 AM
sands

xluv2eatx,
Mind giving the details on your engine build up? Did you buy one of the packages listed on their webpage? What are your HP goals?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 AM
ipcheck

Originally Posted by xluv2eatx
i wasnt even boosting, i think i was at like 2600 rms in sixth gear, but the psi is set at 9psi....
HOW FUNNY, "I WASN'T EVEN BOOSTING, I WAS AT 2600 RPMS" BLAME THE TURBO KIT, LMAO, BAD ENGINE DUDE, YOU EITHER OVERBOOSTED IT BEFORE, NO FUEL, SOMETHING HAPPENED, IT'S COMMON SENSE, ENGINES DONT POP HOLES ON THEIR BLOCK AT 2600 RPM OFF BOOST... THAT ENGINE IS FUNCTIONING AT THE SAME PACE AS A STOCK ONE AT THAT RPM, PERHAPS A BIT MORE AIR AND FUEL BUT STILL, DON'T BLAME THE TURBO KIT IF YOU BLEW AT 2600 RPMS, NO OFFENSE, JUST COMMON SENSE.

I'VE HAD MY TN KIT FOR ALMOST A YEAR, AND THE ONLY ****ING PROBLEM I SEE IS THE AC PROBLEMS, OTHER THAN, I'D SAY ITS GOOD!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:38 AM
ipcheck

You'll turn more heads, but they'll quickly turn back away when they see that you are not much faster then stock...
NOT MUCH FASTER THAN STOCK? DUDE COME OVER WITH ANY STOCK Z, I'LL SHOW U HOW MUCH FASTER, AND HEY, STILL A STOCK VQ, COMPLETELY, EVEN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD!
Old 07-27-2006, 08:31 AM
xluv2eatx

Originally Posted by ipcheck
HOW FUNNY, "I WASN'T EVEN BOOSTING, I WAS AT 2600 RPMS" BLAME THE TURBO KIT, LMAO, BAD ENGINE DUDE, YOU EITHER OVERBOOSTED IT BEFORE, NO FUEL, SOMETHING HAPPENED, IT'S COMMON SENSE, ENGINES DONT POP HOLES ON THEIR BLOCK AT 2600 RPM OFF BOOST... THAT ENGINE IS FUNCTIONING AT THE SAME PACE AS A STOCK ONE AT THAT RPM, PERHAPS A BIT MORE AIR AND FUEL BUT STILL, DON'T BLAME THE TURBO KIT IF YOU BLEW AT 2600 RPMS, NO OFFENSE, JUST COMMON SENSE.

I'VE HAD MY TN KIT FOR ALMOST A YEAR, AND THE ONLY ****ING PROBLEM I SEE IS THE AC PROBLEMS, OTHER THAN, I'D SAY ITS GOOD!

try taking caps lock off and then retyping what you just said...
Old 07-27-2006, 08:33 AM
xluv2eatx

:d

Old 07-27-2006, 08:49 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Weqster
4 comments:

* To the OP, Swap in another stock motor. It will save u time and money. If u do build ur motor though, be happy with 400whp and watch how reliable it will be.
Im sure nobody with EVERY precaution taken at that power level or less hasnt had any issues
Old 07-27-2006, 09:35 AM
ht4

Old 07-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol
Old 07-27-2006, 09:59 AM
ipcheck

wow, flame the caps locks, whats the big deal, still spells out the same, and you got the point, anyway
Old 07-27-2006, 10:33 AM
Nismo350ZRT

If you're going to run on a base tune, like I am, then take some extra precautions. Use a race gas mix and/or lower your boost with a boost controller. I'm running on the APS 91 octane map at 7 psi using 94-96 octane mix. The car runs awesome and has more than enough power to beat most cars. Some of you ppl are just too obsessed with hp numbers instead of safety.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:17 AM
xluv2eatx

Originally Posted by sands
xluv2eatx,
Mind giving the details on your engine build up? Did you buy one of the packages listed on their webpage? What are your HP goals?

Thanks.

right now i just want the car to run, with the kit or not, i dont give a dam anymore. but i still have to wait on sgp to see how much damage was done....
Old 07-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Oleg

NOT MUCH FASTER THAN STOCK? DUDE COME OVER WITH ANY STOCK Z, I'LL SHOW U HOW MUCH FASTER, AND HEY, STILL A STOCK VQ, COMPLETELY, EVEN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD!

Originally Posted by Life Goes On
Rims, nice bodykit, good system, exhaust, and maybe a cai and couple other goodies is all you need (well for me anywayz ).. sorry to hear about the damage by the way.
Dude, this is what my post was in reference to, so I am a bit furbubbled as to why did you got so emotional, that you couldn't keep your hand off the "shift" key.
But, you know, the likelyhood of me driving to Florida to prove something to you is as low as you driving to NY to prove something to me. So spare me the chestbeating, testosterone boy.

Quick Reply: Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..