Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 11:37 AM
xluv2eatx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg
Dude, this is what my post was in reference to, so I am a bit furbubbled as to why did you got so emotional, that you couldn't keep your hand off the "shift" key.
But, you know, the likelyhood of me driving to Florida to prove something to you is as low as you driving to NY to prove something to me. So spare me the chestbeating, testosterone boy.

lol....
Old 07-27-2006, 04:34 PM
buffmanjeff

this thread is why i love this forum so much
Old 07-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Weqster

Originally Posted by Alberto
Im sure nobody with EVERY precaution taken at that power level or less hasnt had any issues
I cant tell if that engrish is sarcasm or not so i will clarify. I said a built engine at 400whp will be reliable as hell. A built engine at 600whp wont be.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:31 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ipcheck
THE ONLY ****ING PROBLEM I SEE IS THE AC PROBLEMS, OTHER THAN, I'D SAY ITS GOOD!
How many of you have had A/C problems after putting the TN ST on your Z? I keep reading more and more about A/C problems.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:47 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by iceburns288
The VQ block is terribly frickin weak. It's not any aftermarket turbo tuners' fault. Instead of blaming each other's turbo manufacturers, just think about this for a second. I honestly have never been on a board with this high of a failure rate of stock blocks under FI. It's unfortunate Nissan didn't match the strength of the RB engines when it produced the VQ.

Sorry to hear about your blown engine, man, I hope you can find a good deal on a new one .
are you kidding me?????

the VQ is holding up better than any engine I have seen. IT's desinged for 240whp but easily taking 450whp with proplems when tuned right...It's an awesome engine for FI. You just need to know the risks when pushing it harder and harder and be prepared.
I have over 23k miles with 100's of drag race events on my stock block boosting with the APS TT (knock on wood it will continue to hold), and I'm not the only one.

People need to take proper precautions though, make sure they have a great tuner and take care of their cars...
I'm getting my engine build next week by GTM because I know that eventually the block will give up because of daily stress (I'm at 475whp) and of course I want more power

There is simply no turbo kit that out of the box will give you a reliable tune and the sooner people get that the sooner the turbo company bashing and VQ bashing can stop.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:49 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by shanecrosby
Can anyone recommend a shop in So Cal to do 1. built motor 2. turbo setup 3. tuning?

Thanks everyone!
contact Sam at GT Motorsort in Rancho Cucamonga they are doing my build starting next week.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:03 PM
FrickU

I'm really sorry to hear that bro... My opinion would just to be sell the turbo kit as is, or sell what you can from it, buy a new motor and just run a stock motor.

I really hope that everything works out for work and transportation, Hope everything goes well with the marriage issue.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:08 AM
xluv2eatx

Originally Posted by FrickU
I'm really sorry to hear that bro... My opinion would just to be sell the turbo kit as is, or sell what you can from it, buy a new motor and just run a stock motor.

I really hope that everything works out for work and transportation, Hope everything goes well with the marriage issue.

thanx for the support bro...
Old 07-28-2006, 07:02 AM
FrickU

No problem man

mrtomcat is completely right about tuning and the way in which it is installed.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Q45tech

9psi boost isn't very much

Sure it's only a 69% boost over design.

14.7 +9= 23.7..../14=1.692

Why would a modern engineer [who wants to keep his job and get promoted]build in such a reserve when his work is double checked for cost savings by accountants.

How will building in reserve for a situation that cannot happen [naturally] help longevity.............no way to naturally increase the earth's boost pressure [14.7 psi].

All aluminum engines vs old Nissan Iron blocks
Old 07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
xluv2eatx

Originally Posted by Q45tech

Why would a modern engineer [who wants to keep his job and get promoted]build in such a reserve when his work is double checked for cost savings by accountants.

How will building in reserve for a situation that cannot happen [naturally] help longevity.............no way to naturally increase the earth's boost pressure [14.7 psi].

im confused....
Old 07-28-2006, 04:32 PM
taurran

Let me attempt in translating and maybe answering...

9psi isn't very much.

It is on a motor that was never meant to handle boost, with connecting rods the size of my finger.

This is a 69% boost over stock compression.

Ok.

Some math to prove this.

Ok.

Why would a Nissan engineer design the VQ any stronger than it needed to be so that it might handle aftermarket boost? It would not be cost effective.

Ok.

There's no reason for them to build the motor any stronger from the factory, as it was never intended for higher than the earth's natural manifold pressure.

Ok.

This is an aluminum block, vs older iron blocks.

Doesn't really matter. It is the connecting rods that fail, not the block.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:14 AM
NoLimit

Thumbs up

ROTFLMAO!!

who the fu<k talks like that!!????
Old 07-29-2006, 06:58 AM
nissansource

Wow.... People need to know what detonation is. TN tune is well different on all cars. I always put a bit of racegas in my car with every fillup to bring it up the octane reading for the weather and my hard driveing. I beat the living poop out of the car at the track and drive it normal on the roads. Ill step on it once in awhile but i do find it hard to belive yoru driving normal and then POP! when i drive normal i take my car to 5800 b4 i shift but no full throttle run i just love hearing my car.
Old 07-29-2006, 08:51 AM
xluv2eatx

Originally Posted by nissansource
Wow.... People need to know what detonation is. TN tune is well different on all cars. I always put a bit of racegas in my car with every fillup to bring it up the octane reading for the weather and my hard driveing. I beat the living poop out of the car at the track and drive it normal on the roads. Ill step on it once in awhile but i do find it hard to belive yoru driving normal and then POP! when i drive normal i take my car to 5800 b4 i shift but no full throttle run i just love hearing my car.

wow, you shift that high? when im just DD i shift at about 2500....
Old 07-30-2006, 06:47 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Goodluck.

M
Old 08-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Kevd007

Honestly, I am not a auto expert but I have seen some people run very lean (AFR) after installing exhaust. Its important to dyno everytime you make a change. I'm finding there is a lot of responsibility that comes with FI. Running lean, incorrect detonation will eventually destroy any engine. I hope everything turns out well. Don't let a car stop you from marrying somebody you love though. Keep the Z if you can!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:56 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

Sorry bro. Good luck w/ everything. No advice though cause you already know what you should have done and circumstances just didn't allow them. The guys at SGP will take care of you.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Ahmads350z

ahh a blown motor!
ive been through it too
good luck bro your best bet is to get a built engine bro
ahmad
Old 09-03-2006, 01:16 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

you brought up a month old thread to tell us something we already knew?

Quick Reply: Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..