Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 01:23 PM
TheCajunStyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
you brought up a month old thread to tell us something we already knew?
Old 09-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which Cold Air Intake should i buy for my car??
Old 09-03-2006, 01:38 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
which Cold Air Intake should i buy for my car??
GReedy
Old 09-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
are you kidding me?????

the VQ is holding up better than any engine I have seen. IT's desinged for 240whp but easily taking 450whp with proplems when tuned right...It's an awesome engine for FI. You just need to know the risks when pushing it harder and harder and be prepared.
I have over 23k miles with 100's of drag race events on my stock block boosting with the APS TT (knock on wood it will continue to hold), and I'm not the only one.

People need to take proper precautions though, make sure they have a great tuner and take care of their cars...
I'm getting my engine build next week by GTM because I know that eventually the block will give up because of daily stress (I'm at 475whp) and of course I want more power

There is simply no turbo kit that out of the box will give you a reliable tune and the sooner people get that the sooner the turbo company bashing and VQ bashing can stop.

I hope your kidding. Doesn't matter if you have the PERFECT tune or the PERFECT tuner, people are still blowing motors. I don't get how this motor is perfect for FI when there are so many motors blowing. If it were so PERFECT like you say no one would ever have any problems. How many Supra, Evo, and STI motors do you hear about blowing? Hardly any. Best way to make sure you don't blow your motor with the Z is to build the engine.
Old 09-03-2006, 03:51 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I hope your kidding. Doesn't matter if you have the PERFECT tune or the PERFECT tuner, people are still blowing motors. I don't get how this motor is perfect for FI when there are so many motors blowing. If it were so PERFECT like you say no one would ever have any problems. How many Supra, Evo, and STI motors do you hear about blowing? Hardly any. Best way to make sure you don't blow your motor with the Z is to build the engine.
they blow alot of engines.. you just don't hear about them
Old 09-03-2006, 04:28 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

You are certainly going to hear about blown VQ's on a 350Z thread more than Blown STi's, EVo's, or Supra's!
Old 09-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Diesel350

Hmmm that's wierd. I did a search on this site with the key words "Blown Engine" and went through the first four pages and found 7 threads on guys reporting they had blown an engine. Did the same search on MKIV and there were no matches found for my search. Then I searched Evo and found 4 threads on blown engines. And only 1 in the STI forums.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:08 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Hmmm that's wierd. I did a search on this site with the key words "Blown Engine" and went through the first four pages and found 7 threads on guys reporting they had blown an engine. Did the same search on MKIV and there were no matches found for my search. Then I searched Evo and found 4 threads on blown engines. And only 1 in the STI forums.
Suby's http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sear...archid=5660783

EVO's http://forums.evolutionm.net/search....archid=3094229

Last edited by westpak; 09-03-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:10 PM
taurran

Sorry, but you're a moron if you think these other cars don't have cases of blown motors. I've heard of quite a few blown 2j's from supra owners I know.

For an NA motor, the vq35 actually does hold boost quite well.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Diesel350

Originally Posted by taurran

Sorry, but you're a moron if you think these other cars don't have cases of blown motors. I've heard of quite a few blown 2j's from supra owners I know.

For an NA motor, the vq35 actually does hold boost quite well.
Excuse me but I never said these cars don't have cases of blown motors. I said not as much as the 350z's.

And at the next meeting try being disrespectful and calling me a moron to my face and see what happens.

Last edited by Diesel350; 09-03-2006 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:44 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

they have been around longer... they don't blow as many engines as people find out what blows engines... i am pretty sure the number of blown VQ's have dropped considerbly since the first batch of turbo and sc kits came out
Old 09-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Three5oZee

Well...I have to agree with Taurran; these vq monsters handle boost pretty well in my opinion. I cant imagine why or how u could have been at 9psi on just a reflash without an em system. The spring in the waste gate is set for 8.5psi right?

Like it has been stated...im thinking this is user error. Not to rain on the already soaked issue... these things dont break themsleves... but its a learning experience deffinitly... but dont give up. rebuild and have fun with it man!
Old 09-03-2006, 07:32 PM
taurran

Excuse me but I never said these cars don't have cases of blown motors. I said not as much as the 350z's.

And at the next meeting try being disrespectful and calling me a moron to my face and see what happens.
Who are you anyway?

If you make a dumb statement like again that I will, tough guy.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:52 PM
maximumsportZ

Most of those "Blown motors" have a story behind it, which you will never hear about.

I've gained a lot of respect for the VQ motor since going FI. This motor is a dime boosted.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Diesel350

Who are you anyway?

If you make a dumb statement like again that I will, tough guy.
I'm not trying to be tough, I'm just telling you I will not tolerate disrespect by name calling. Debates can be had without disrespecting other members. I don't remember exactly who you were at the last meet but next week I'll make it a point to meet you and we'll see if you still come at me with an attitude and the total disrespect you seem to display in your posts. I make it a point to respect other people but when I get disrespected repeatedly I WILL get nasty.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
taurran

I'm not trying to be tough, I'm just telling you I will not tolerate disrespect by name calling. Debates can be had without disrespecting other members. I don't remember exactly who you were at the last meet but next week I'll make it a point to meet you and we'll see if you still come at me with an attitude and the total disrespect you seem to display in your posts. I make it a point to respect other people but when I get disrespected repeatedly I WILL get nasty.
That's fine, just don't try to "debate" how well the VQ35 holds boost.

Apparently you haven't been around long. I didn't even know you were a local until you replied with your threats. To refresh your memory, I was the one RUNNING the meeting. Our club isn't high school or one where you physically threaten other members. If you bring an attitude like this in person you probably won't be around long.

Perhaps if you want to continue to threaten me you should take it to PM's.

Last edited by taurran; 09-03-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:21 PM
maximumsportZ

Uhh, Craig is like the VP of the club.

The last meet he was the guy presenting us with the upcoming club events with his cool looking flyer.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:40 PM
taurran

Yeah, well, I'll be the first to admit I can be a bit crude online. That's just the way it is. Welcome to teh intarweb.

I think most people that know me in person can vouch for me being generally well-liked in person. Threatening to fight me isn't a good way to make a point. Not only do I not really care if I get my *** beat or not, but it definitely isn't a way to get me to apologize.

Regardless, if I had any idea that I've met you in person, I probably would have gone a little easier when you made the ludicrous comment like you did. Not because I'm "afraid" of you, but because you're more than a screen name and a post count at that point.

As stated before, you should PM if you've still "got beef" . See ya friday.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:46 PM
maximumsportZ

Yeah, well, I'll be the first to admit I can be a bit crude online. That's just the way it is. Welcome to teh intarweb.

I think most people that know me in person can vouch for me being generally well-liked in person. Threatening to fight me isn't a good way to make a point. Not only do I not really care if I get my *** beat or not, but it definitely isn't a way to get me to apologize.

Regardless, if I had any idea that I've met you in person, I probably would have gone a little easier when you made the ludicrous comment like you did. Not because I'm "afraid" of you, but because you're more than a screen name and a post count at that point.

As stated before, you should PM if you've still "got beef" . See ya friday.
You, being an ex-marine and the stories you've told me. I'd rather have you on my good side, you crazy ****.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:53 PM
IndustrialDuane

yeah, good point BUT!!!! the supra, evo, and STI have been built for a turbo, with stronger internals. if the 350 came stock with a turbo system im sure we wouldnt be blowing them, how many people on the fourm are blowing non stock motors on the 350z?

Quick Reply: Blew motor with Turbonetics S/T..