Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Car won't turn over anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:23 PM
SecretAsianMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't turn over anymore.

Ok well I got my car back yesterday and everything seemed to be alright until later that evening. I was on my way home from dinner and at a light my car died while idleing. I was stunned but then I turned the car back on and quickly went to a lit parking lot. As soon as I got there the car turned off again. After another try to keep the motor running long enough to see if I through a CEL it just died and would not turn over again. None of the spark plugs tried to fire and we tried to see if the throttle body would even open at the crank but no luck. So a friend of mine that said there might be a fail safe and that the ecu might have shut off or locked up. Also being that I am running rich and might have a messed up 02 sensor or fouled up the plugs.

Keep in mind my motor just came back from the machine shop and is fully built with lower compression pistons (8.8:1). And I am running my old set up, stock vortech set up, greddy ult. emanage, rc 440's. When we first drove the car out it threw fuel codes, mainly it was running rich from the previous tune. Before I actually drove it home we had to change the battery since mine was on it's last limb. I was going to wait till Monday and drop by SGP to see if it's just an electrical problem or one of the sensors gone bad but I'd like to see if any of you guys had an idea of a problem.

I checked all piping no disconnections, no leaks, pulleys on correctly, belts fastened, all fluids topped off, car isn't over heating, any ideas fellas?

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:05 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like your altenator is not charging your battery. The battery must be charged for the car to run.

JET
Old 08-13-2006, 07:24 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

if it was the altenator the car wouldn't turn over at all
Old 08-13-2006, 07:40 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The car has enough power to turn the starter but no to run the vehicle systems. This happened to me before due to a blown altenator fuse.

JET
Old 08-13-2006, 08:00 PM
SecretAsianMan

My fuel pump isn't priming anymore when I stick the key in the on position. Hrm... I don't know if it was my alternator fuse because I just came back from dinner and it started up fine then it just died on the road. I also tried to reset the ecu by unplugging the battery and then when I tried to start it again it'll just choke, sounds like it's trying to start but there's no spark to ignite.

Last edited by SecretAsianMan; 08-13-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:07 AM
TTRANK

It might have had enough in the battery to start it those last few times but if the alternator is dead or has a blow fuse the car is runing off the battery and it won't last long.

Why were you driving it on the old tune?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Mr_pharmD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like u mention, it's pig rich so when that happens your ecu tells the engine to shut down before anymore harm happens. It happen to me in my last turbo setup car and after I waited like 10+ minutes it fires right up like nothing happen and dies once again when driven. You need tunning.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:11 PM
THE TECH

Sounds like the alternator to me too. If you can start it and then it dies on the road, just make sure the alternator was plugged back in. The car can start and run without the alternator plugged in as long as the battery has some power in it. Once the electrical items on the car drain the battery, the car will die.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:47 PM
G352NV

If it was the alternator the battery and brake light would be on.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:58 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by G352NV
If it was the alternator the battery and brake light would be on.
It might only come on right before it dies though.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:04 PM
G352NV

I just went through a alternator change. The volts were at about 9 and the brake light would stay on. The car would run for about 20min. I would say re charge the battery and see if what the volts are and if the brake light is on.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:12 PM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by G352NV
I just went through a alternator change. The volts were at about 9 and the brake light would stay on. The car would run for about 20min. I would say re charge the battery and see if what the volts are and if the brake light is on.
Yeah that would be the easiest and cheapest thing to try first.

Although you should have probably had your flash changed before driving the car again after the build. You may be running way too much fuel. Are you getting any smoke at all??
Old 08-14-2006, 01:28 PM
SecretAsianMan

No smoke.

I just got back from SGP. A fuse just blew, Mark put in a new one and tried to tune it but I'm having some sort of electrical problem. Shawn took out a coil and it seemed to be running a little better, but we will just have to wait and see what the underlying problem is.