Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

600+ WHP Rev-Up...Believe It!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes traction is very important on the drag strip. i would hope that these 700+ hp cars have decent tires on them soo.... their trap speeds should show. not many cars can spin their tires all the way through 5th gear (if so you have the wrong tires on the car). so there is a point where these cars will hook up and reach a nice trap speed. thats all we want....

dynos are stupid and should be used for tuning purposes only. not high speeds or HP biggest ***** competition, there are too many variables to compare. figuring out the top speed in your car can be done using a calculator or on a track.

i think that anyone opening a shop and promoting it, is fine and i wish the best of luck , but to make claims that cannot be backed up and raising the bar when it shouldnt be raised, well thats another story...
Old 08-17-2006, 03:40 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since everyone is getting nit-picky Traction is important at the dragstrip especially if you want good sixty foot times and ofcourse good Et's. For the purposes of using trap speed to determine power,traction is pretty irrelevant.

Last edited by TurboTim; 08-17-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:45 PM
g35_anonymous

what's the point... comment deleted.

Last edited by g35_anonymous; 08-17-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Navygolf13

How are they riding on JWT's coattails if they do all the work and Jim tunes the car? So you are saying that anyone can build it but it ALL comes down to tuning?
Old 08-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
well, the thread title boasts a bit of arrogance, that might be the start of it. every car that you do has this massive amount of horsepower. we just would like to see this crazy amount of hp put down on another dyno or track time.

trap speed in the quarter mile doesnt lie. you cant make your car go faster than the hp it has. if you have 600-800 daily driven Gs and Zs, why havent any of them gone to the track to back it up?? thats why everyone is calling BS on your numbers...

the reason people get soo mad is that these numbers arent possible with what you say you have done and then people read it and think its the norm. to the people who own shops and "know" what can really be done, this makes them look bad when they cant compare to "magic" numbers...

have a good day...
I think it is pretty sad that becuase you haters here can't do it you say it cant be done. I have a question for you. How many people in this world over all of history have been told something cant be done and they prove them wrong? If you guys think about what you are saying...if everyone in the world went by your thoughts, we would not be driving cars and flying in planes. Because at one point "that couldn't be done either."
Maybe all of the things people were told they couldnt do are just "magic."

Like WA2GOOD said you all crack me up, because you all cant do it then there is no way it can be done. Michael and VRT have tried and offered to prove to all the naysayers, no one has stepped up to the plate yet.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Navygolf13
I think it is pretty sad that becuase you haters here can't do it you say it cant be done. I have a question for you. How many people in this world over all of history have been told something cant be done and they prove them wrong? If you guys think about what you are saying...if everyone in the world went by your thoughts, we would not be driving cars and flying in planes. Because at one point "that couldn't be done either."

Like WA2GOOD said you all crack me up, because you all cant do it then there is no way it can be done. Michael and VRT have tried and offered to prove to all the naysayers, no one has stepped up to the plate yet.

listen.... i have a darton sleeved, greddy tt Z that i just got all together that is getting its 8 point cage welded in right now, i couldnt make over 500 hp to the wheels because the clutch would just slip, i am putting in a turbo 400 as soon as i get it back in a couple weeks. i am going to turn up the boost to well over 20 psi and 150 shot of nitrous and put down some serious numbers, the difference with me though is that right in my sig, it will show that my car IS fast. dyno numbers dont mean anything to me. back it up!!

its not that we are hating or dont know what we are talking about, i can tell you i have 500 million dollars in pennies buried under my house, you wont believe me till i show ya...
Old 08-17-2006, 04:55 PM
MIAPLAYA

I think your statement is WAY to broad here. First off I was a HUGE nay sayer of VRT in the past. To the point that I called people who are lets say intimately familiar with Jim Wolf and what they do to ask if VRT was really even getting the kits Jim Wolf told me personally no one was getting. I met with Mike and Scott and when I saw they were telling the truth I posted it. Furthermore I was at JWT when they did the final power pulls on Mikes car (from Vegas). I talked for damn near an hour with Mike (VRT) and Jim Wolf about how they were tuning, what they were using, and how it was working for them. To say I haven't "stepped up" to be proven wrong is flat out bullsh!t. I know what they do and how they do it. Hell I knew before you even were in the VRT fold. All that aside the only comment I will make as it relates to Jim Wolfs dyno is that I have my personal thoughts about the amount of load being placed on the dyno. I watched Mikes car hit a full 20 PSI at like 2000 RPMs. In fact as soon as the rollers started spinning the car was at 20 PSI. That tells me they were loading the dyno VERY early. Now that does make sense when you are tuning a car. Hell I've watched at least 2 other manufacturers do the same thing during tuning. Thats how you ensure your target AFR is met at a given load condition. Run the car to 2k set the load VERY high so the turbos are spooled and adjust the air and timing curve. I'm not saying that they do that for EVERY dyno that they post but for Mikes car I know it happened cause I was there. No I didn't watch Jim or Clark input the load amount or the ramp up time but if you've been around someone tuning on a Dynapack more then once you know what it looks like. Does that means the numbers are false. Absolutely not. The car could make the exact same numbers without the additional loading. Its done to tune the specific range you are targeting. In the end I've said for a while now I'm impressed with the work VRT has done. They do track the hell out of their cars and I don't see many popping up with blown motors or issues. I have my own thoughts on how Jim and Clark are making the torque curve but again those are my opinions. Jim and Clark have forgotten more about motors then most of us will ever know so I don't question their knowledge or the way they do things. For cars to run the track that much and not fail is a testemant to their tuning and the work that went into the motors. Am I a VRT fanboy, well I think everyone knows who I rep here.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:17 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I think your statement is WAY to broad here. First off I was a HUGE nay sayer of VRT in the past. To the point that I called people who are lets say intimately familiar with Jim Wolf and what they do to ask if VRT was really even getting the kits Jim Wolf told me personally no one was getting. I met with Mike and Scott and when I saw they were telling the truth I posted it. Furthermore I was at JWT when they did the final power pulls on Mikes car (from Vegas). I talked for damn near an hour with Mike (VRT) and Jim Wolf about how they were tuning, what they were using, and how it was working for them. To say I haven't "stepped up" to be proven wrong is flat out bullsh!t. I know what they do and how they do it. Hell I knew before you even were in the VRT fold. All that aside the only comment I will make as it relates to Jim Wolfs dyno is that I have my personal thoughts about the amount of load being placed on the dyno. I watched Mikes car hit a full 20 PSI at like 2000 RPMs. In fact as soon as the rollers started spinning the car was at 20 PSI. That tells me they were loading the dyno VERY early. Now that does make sense when you are tuning a car. Hell I've watched at least 2 other manufacturers do the same thing during tuning. Thats how you ensure your target AFR is met at a given load condition. Run the car to 2k set the load VERY high so the turbos are spooled and adjust the air and timing curve. I'm not saying that they do that for EVERY dyno that they post but for Mikes car I know it happened cause I was there. No I didn't watch Jim or Clark input the load amount or the ramp up time but if you've been around someone tuning on a Dynapack more then once you know what it looks like. Does that means the numbers are false. Absolutely not. The car could make the exact same numbers without the additional loading. Its done to tune the specific range you are targeting. In the end I've said for a while now I'm impressed with the work VRT has done. They do track the hell out of their cars and I don't see many popping up with blown motors or issues. I have my own thoughts on how Jim and Clark are making the torque curve but again those are my opinions. Jim and Clark have forgotten more about motors then most of us will ever know so I don't question their knowledge or the way they do things. For cars to run the track that much and not fail is a testament to their tuning and the work that went into the motors. Am I a VRT fanboy, well I think everyone knows who I rep here.
Thanks Bob and Rob. Appreciate the words on either side.

I can say, You and I, MIA have had our tensions when there was a debate about the kits. Water under the bridge and we are cool for sure. We are all so competitive and passionate about Our Own Gigs - But I really hope our Z and G community can get out to the tracks more and step up to the Vettes, STIs, Evos, Exotics, and Porsches. We have a wonderful platform and for the money - the cars are pretty hard to beat.

Note:
I am definitely interested in speaking with you Rob about our ideas on the TN kit. We have been doing more and more and really would like your opinions ON SAFE Single Turbo Power...That is another story so I will PM...

Peace...

M

Last edited by mraturbo; 08-18-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:19 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by mraturbo
Thanks Bob and Rob. Appreciate the words on either side.

I can say You and I MIA have had our tensions when there was a debate about the kits. Water under the bridge and we are cool for sure. We are all so competitive and I really hope our Z and G community can get out to the tracks more and step up to the Vettes, STIs, Evos, and Porsches.

Note:
I am definitely interested in speaking with you Rob about our ideas on the TN kit. We have been doing more and more and really would like your opinions ON SAFE Single Turbo Power...That is another story so I will PM...

Peace...

M

Mike I'd be happy to chat with you on that. FYI I have some info you may not already be aware of regarding single turbos.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:35 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Mike I'd be happy to chat with you on that. FYI I have some info you may not already be aware of regarding single turbos.
Perfect.

M
Old 08-17-2006, 05:37 PM
JeffesonM

You guys should just meet up with some other folks with other kits (Greddy, APS, T-Netics, etc.) and all dyno at the same place on the same day... that should put to rest any questions...
Old 08-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Navygolf13

Rob, never meant any disrespect to you. We have met and spoken and I do respect you and what you know and bring to the table. You are right you were speaking with these guys long before I was around.
My comment was no directed at you who have stepped to the plate and understood what is going down, I HATE the people who stand in the wings to shoot someone down when they have over thirty PROVEN cars that do run phenomenal numbers!

Rob, I hope you understand where I am coming from. I do not like it when people say it cant bedone without knowing. Ask how it is done and come check it out and then if you still do not believe feel free to speak your mind. Just don't do it before talking with anyone at VRT.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MICHAEL!!!!!
Old 08-17-2006, 05:39 PM
Navygolf13

Originally Posted by JeffesonM
You guys should just meet up with some other folks with other kits (Greddy, APS, T-Netics, etc.) and all dyno at the same place on the same day... that should put to rest any questions...
I think this is a great idea, I do not think some of these other guys will actually step up to the plate though. We have gone through this before and people talk a lot but never show.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:48 PM
MIAPLAYA

Rob, never meant any disrespect to you. We have met and spoken and I do respect you and what you know and bring to the table. You are right you were speaking with these guys long before I was around.
My comment was no directed at you who have stepped to the plate and understood what is going down, I HATE the people who stand in the wings to shoot someone down when they have over thirty PROVEN cars that do run phenomenal numbers!

Rob, I hope you understand where I am coming from. I do not like it when people say it cant bedone without knowing. Ask how it is done and come check it out and then if you still do not believe feel free to speak your mind. Just don't do it before talking with anyone at VRT.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MICHAEL!!!!!

Fair enough...I know how you feel. People said a single turbo couldn't be done on the Z but Turbonetics did it. I just want to make sure you understand the not everyone speaks without having done their research. In the end I would like to see a VRT car take a pass down a 1/4 mile strip. If for nothing else then my enjoyment of watching high horsepower cars make 1/4 mile passes. I've always liked to watch drag racing but I've never been much good at it. Ultimately it would show people one way or the other what the cars are capable of. The Corsa Mike had on his car last time I saw it would work ok I'm sure. Of course some drag radials would be better. Its certainly not as fun as a trip to Willow or drifting but it has its moments.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:52 PM
MIAPLAYA

I think this is a great idea, I do not think some of these other guys will actually step up to the plate though. We have gone through this before and people talk a lot but never show.
We did that a while back. The turbo shootout in Sport Z mag. Unfortunately the playing field wasn't nearly as level as it should have been. Some manufacturers came as they were supposed to while others decided to come with the intent to best everyone else by any means necessary (even if it didnt conform to the rules). It would be cool to see a run what you bring shoot out. Turbonetics will be releasing their Stage 2 kit soon and should have a car to bring if it happens. Hell the Supras have one ever year. I'd still like to see SOME ground rules established. It would be most interesting I think if we had cars the were set up identical. Out of box kit and tuning. Minor to no other mods. Then another dyno with the same companies big power kits (if available) to show what is possible.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Nismo350ZRT

I'd still like to see SOME ground rules established. It would be most interesting I think if we had cars the were set up identical. Out of box kit and tuning. Minor to no other mods. Then another dyno with the same companies big power kits (if available) to show what is possible.
I think that's a great idea. I'd have UTEC's added to all the kits and have one person tune all the cars. That would isolate the turbo hardware and clearly show the differences between the kits. I nominate Sharif as the tuner.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:48 PM
Navygolf13

Again, like I said. What needs to be done to, say my Z to make it a drag car? Granted I do not have the 700 kit TT but I would love to see what it could do down the drag strip. What suspension needs to be done, gearing, etc....?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VRT bolted on a kit and Jim Wolf tuned it... Yippeee! Really, what do you guys want for a well executed install? Congrats, but you guys should just relax on calling out every other shop and person out in the country.

VRT self promotion on the forum is annoying… Performance Motorsports was making double your HP and backing it up over a year ago – you boys have a lot of catching up to do – 650whp was last years news for us. We can call BS, because we’ve BEEN THERE ALREADY!

I welcome VRT to the NYC Metro area anytime… I’ll have a dyno, we can visit E-Town, and hit up Pocono afterwards… VRT will have THREE (3) chances to strut their stuff, but something tells me it’ll never happen because Mr. A’ss will have no way to spin what he’ll have coming to him.

Congrats on the dyno chart – send me a high res image and I’ll have it framed and sent to you…
Old 08-18-2006, 06:04 AM
roneski

^^^ It's never going to happen because who's going to caravan across the entire country just to make you happy? Get some new material, you're sounding like a broken record. Go ahead and fire off the kool-aid line again.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:59 AM
Vq.turbo.DremZ

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think the VRT guys or the VRT fanboys get it. The dyno numbers that are posted look bloated and thats with every car thats been posted in the forums. And why do you think everyone is throwing up the BS flag? It's because all the major Z/G tuners in the country can't fathom how VRT are laying down these numbers with stock this and that. Everytime that VRT do make another thread its to boast WHP numbers on a dyno that can hardly be consistent in the first place with to many variables to have an industry standard. As well as everytime that someone does question your numbers VRT becomes defensive and say "Take it to the track" or "See you at the track." Well thats great and all but has anyone here question thier track capabilites or how hard you run these vehicles? I doubt it.

I'm not trying to bash VRT at all and i love some of the work that you guys have rolled out, but these numbers make me hate VRT all over again as there is no real determining factor to prove to anyone as to the power you are laying down. So until you hit another dyno and the 1/4 mile all the "haters" will keep doubting the numbers. Is it that hard to throw on one of those Gtech timers?

Quick Reply: 600+ WHP Rev-Up...Believe It!