Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Troubleshoot Issue -- JWT TT Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
A little carbon is fine, as FI engines tend to run a little bit rich at WOT. My money is still on the MAF clamp/overload issue.
I agree with the MAF issue being a possible problem..I am curious as to when he got the kit installed, like was it cooler or warmer weather initially, and now with the cooler weather the car is making more boost, and overloading the MAF. I honestly can not believe a reputable company like JWT would utilize a $40 piece of crap tunning method such as the Split second box..The technology is so outdated in that thing..
Old 08-30-2006, 05:28 PM
k3silk

Is the slit second box 40 bucks really? I thought it was around 400 from split second?
Old 08-31-2006, 05:32 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by k3silk
Is the slit second box 40 bucks really? I thought it was around 400 from split second?
probably cost them $40 to make...
Old 08-31-2006, 05:39 AM
roneski

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
I honestly can not believe a reputable company like JWT would utilize a $40 piece of crap tunning method such as the Split second box..The technology is so outdated in that thing..
Maybe, but you have to admit that the failure rates on engines using JWT kits is relatively low. I'm all for cutting edge tech, but there is something to be said for products that are simple and reliable.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:52 AM
k3silk

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
probably cost them $40 to make...
Im not knocking your or anything but its called profit. Many company's do this and im sure yours does to for a turbo install im sure it wont take you 20 hours to install it its more like 10-12 but you would still charge them the normal rate Right? Same thing... I just dont want to come off as a A$$ butlike the guy said above how many jwt kits have your heard off blowing up???
Old 08-31-2006, 05:47 PM
TheCajunStyle

Update:

I checked the MAF (for cleanliness) and it was perfect. I drove the about 3 miles down the road and checked for any new codes--two new ones popped up:

P0300 - Random cylinder misfire
P0174 - Fuel System Lean, Bank 2

I cleared the codes, allowed the car to idle for 5 minutes, then checked the codes again...

P0300 - Random cylinder misfire

At this time, I was talking to my father (listening to him whine about how old cars used carburetors and they were so much easier to troublehshoot blah blah blah...) and then I put my head behind the intake manifold. WOW. Exhaust fumes galore! It's almost like I have open dumps right off the exhaust manifold. In fact, my eyes started watering there were so strong.

Since it's so loud, I couldn't tell if I have an intake manifold gasket issue or an exhaust leak.

Anyways... I have an appointment set up for Wednesday (3 hours away at Performance Motorsport) so that I can get this problem solved.

Aight, I'll post back in about a week when I figure out what has been going on.

--John
Old 08-31-2006, 06:49 PM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

I just dont want to come off as a A$$ butlike the guy said above how many jwt kits have your heard off blowing up???

How many JWT kits are out there? probably less than 30 at this point..it is a fairly new kit, as more people run the split second setup, more problems will arise, it is outdated, and I agree, suprising that JWT uses such antiquated technology for their turbo kit...

Want to solve the problem...install a UTEC

-TODD
Old 08-31-2006, 07:36 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Was the boost raised on this vehicle? The split second has no MAF clamp that I can find....so if the boost is raised, and/or if too much fuel is added prior to 4600rpm, the car will go into limp mode. There are ways to work around it, but I would check your boost level and report back. Boost levels can charge slightly with different ambient conditions, so those minor boost fluctuations might be triggering the limp mode. The codes you got, are likely just phantom codes, that were trigger when the car went into limp, and are not necessarily indicative of a problem with your cam position sensor..etc..etc.

best of luck.

You can put a clamp on the voltage by keeping it below 10 in the cells in which you want to clamp at higher boost and rpms Alot of tuners start adding voltage (by increasing the numbers in the cells) to add fuel when they start maxing out their injectors and it maxes out the MAF sensor
Old 08-31-2006, 09:27 PM
k3silk

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
How many JWT kits are out there? probably less than 30 at this point..it is a fairly new kit, as more people run the split second setup, more problems will arise, it is outdated, and I agree, suprising that JWT uses such antiquated technology for their turbo kit...

Want to solve the problem...install a UTEC

-TODD
there are atleast 100 cars turbo with jwt kits. Now if you are talking about my 06 well then yeah there are only two me and another guy out on the west coast but as long as you keep your boost where it should be at then i think people are fine but yeah utec would be nice.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

there are atleast 100 cars turbo with jwt kits. Now if you are talking about my 06 well then yeah there are only two me and another guy out on the west coast but as long as you keep your boost where it should be at then i think people are fine but yeah utec would be nice.
There are NOT 100 cars with JWT kit yey...Get your facts straight..
Old 09-01-2006, 10:07 AM
k3silk

Ok this is dumb.... Im sure you know more about this stuff then me so your prolly right but it is what it is if you and your company comes out with a kit then you can include all the right stuff from the getgo. You win and your right oh well whole the hell cares all Z with any FI big ups to them cause im sure its a hella lot more fun to Drive. Back to the issue with the Limp mode thing
Old 09-07-2006, 08:55 AM
TheCajunStyle

UPDATE:

Get ready for this:

The night before my appt, I decided to fill the tank before my trip the next morning. Car would not stay running. It puked out every time.

Reminded me of the time when I popped an IC pipe.

So, the next day, in the down pouring rain, I put the Z up on jackstands AGAIN. I'm getting really good at it--takes about 10 minutes. HAHA.

What do you know? An IC pipe popped off--just as I thought.

I had a similar issue back in May '06--in fact it was the same clamp. I guess it's time to invest in some T-bolts.

I started up the car and it ran perfectly. Hmmm. I took it for a spin--hit full boost without a problem.

So, after all this BS, it was merely an IC pipe that had PARTIALLY disconnected. In fact, when I originally checked all the piping, it appeared as though it was still connected. It's amazing how I was still able to drive 400 miles without the pipe completely disconnecting. My guess is that the ECU had no idea how to handle the crazy AFR, so it started throwing random codes.

Performance Motorsport still wants to look over the car to make sure everything is OK... So I will be heading down shortly.

I'm happy that everything is fine and that the $40 SS box still works LOL. Cam sensor is fine, and all the O2/AFRs are fine. I adjusted the exhaust so there's no more rattling.

The only issue is that the exhaust manifold gasket is leaking ever-so-slightly, but that will be a fairly easy fix.

Thanks for all the help--you guys really had me worried that I f'ed something up in the engine!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:07 AM
k3silk

wahoo!!! I know it felt so good when you found the problem all that worry and thinking your car was messed went out the door. I wanted to Pm you some questions about your kit though.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:14 AM
zman1910

Glad you got it resolved and it was something minor....let us know if PM finds anything else. They are a great bunch of guys...I recently got a chance to meet Vinny Ten and the gang..
Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 AM
zpeedDemon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were you happy with the service with Performance Motorsports? This shop is realy close to me.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Jonathan Allyn

Originally Posted by TheCajunStyle
UPDATE:
Thats exactly what happened to my brother a few months ago. We did a track day at GIR with my Z and his 240sx (SR20).

He had a problem throughout the day with his intercooler hose popping off at full boost and on his last run his car went completly out. No one could figure out what did his car in during that last run. I ended up having to get him a rental car so he could stay back and work with the shop in St. Louis to figure out what was wrong.

After having another ECU & MAF sensor sent back, it turned out that it was yet another IC hose that was hidden that popped off slightly.

Crazy weekend!

Glad to know things worked out for you!!
Old 09-07-2006, 04:54 PM
TheCajunStyle

Originally Posted by zpeedDemon
Were you happy with the service with Performance Motorsports? This shop is realy close to me.
VERY happy with Performance Motorsport. Not only do they have highly experienced employees, they know A LOT about customer service.

You really should stop by Westbury Nissan in Hicksville and check out their shop.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:27 PM
1G-350Z

Originally Posted by TheCajunStyle
UPDATE:

Get ready for this:

The night before my appt, I decided to fill the tank before my trip the next morning. Car would not stay running. It puked out every time.

Reminded me of the time when I popped an IC pipe.

So, the next day, in the down pouring rain, I put the Z up on jackstands AGAIN. I'm getting really good at it--takes about 10 minutes. HAHA.

I had a similar issue back in May '06--in fact it was the same clamp. I guess it's time to invest in some T-bolts.

I started up the car and it ran perfectly. Hmmm. I took it for a spin--hit full boost without a problem.

So, after all this BS, it was merely an IC pipe that had PARTIALLY disconnected. In fact, when I originally checked all the piping, it appeared as though it was still connected. It's amazing how I was still able to drive 400 miles without the pipe completely disconnecting. My guess is that the ECU had no idea how to handle the crazy AFR, so it started throwing random codes.

Performance Motorsport still wants to look over the car to make sure everything is OK... So I will be heading down shortly.

I'm happy that everything is fine and that the $40 SS box still works LOL. Cam sensor is fine, and all the O2/AFRs are fine. I adjusted the exhaust so there's no more rattling.

The only issue is that the exhaust manifold gasket is leaking ever-so-slightly, but that will be a fairly easy fix.

Thanks for all the help--you guys really had me worried that I f'ed something up in the engine!
I'm glad to see it was something simple... It's a good idea to have PM check it out... It's better to be safe...
Old 09-25-2006, 04:00 AM
Trav4011

I find it humorous, how other shops pick on JWT.. It's pretty stupid.. Clark/Jim/Mike are probably some of the most brilliant minds in the Nissan aftermarket scene. If you've ever met, or spent time on the phone with any of those guys, I guarantee you, they would blow your mind with technical babble.

JWT's approach to tuning this kit was one of safety, reliability, and the possibility of CARB. Changing injectors won't fly over with the feds.. Bottom line, is that this kit is solid as a rock. I highly doubt, that you will ever see a large crowd of people, popping motors with this setup. It is very conservative, and very reliable. The design/layout was well thought-out and is top notch. All of these mom and pop shops, that have been around for a few years, don't have SQUAT on a company like JWT. They were in business, back when most of you guys were in elementary school..

So, please, stop with the petty attempts to sling crap at JWT.. If it wasn't for those guys, busting ***** for so many years.. the Nissan aftermarket wouldn't be NEARLY what it is today.

Travis