Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Why are Supras so much better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:24 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faster than u
how about this, your never going to have the fastest car, their is always somone faster ,plus just be happy with what you got. Just think, maybe in a few year the z will be crazy fast
so ture. theres always some one or something better and also know that your car probably can beat me and many other cars out there
Old 09-04-2006, 08:27 PM
mrtomcat

This is funny!

I posted this this morning out of frustration and moved on, now there are over 3 pages and lots of flaming....I'm glad that I was able to create the discussion thread of the day

My main point was that a Supra is so much cheaper to get into the 11's than a Z and I was hoping for some reassurance to show that I made the right decission in the long run.

And FYI to Alberto who claims I don't know how to drive ( I thought you'd know me better by now): I did better 60 foots, better 330's better 1/8's, better mph's so I do not think that he know how to launch bette than mer, the car simply delivered better for half the price I paid and I am a bit frustrated because I miss my freakin Z that I was supposed to race yesterday but hasn't been finished and I have no idea when it finally be ready; I wish auto shops would simply tell the truth on how long something takes....don't say 3 weeks when it takes 6...one day someone needs to explain to me the logic behind that.

Also my buddy in his stock supra also beat an 800 whp supra yesterday on a hole shot so yes I am very aware of their high horsepower traction issues as well.

Anyways, flame on
Old 09-04-2006, 08:37 PM
RevLimitZ

4 pages of Z vs. Supra and no mention of the only undeniable advantage of the Supra: 6sp GETRAG tranny!!! BTW I'm all for the Z, but I'd swap trannies (if it were reasonably possible) any day of the week.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:40 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zexy
When have i stated ignorance on any of my posts? Have i mentioned anything involving weight on my posts? Where are you trying to get to with his fact? Should i hail to the all mighty VQ because Nissan decided to choose the VQ over RB for touring races?

Oh yes. Take a left for the line.

As soon as your fingers hit the keyboard what spewed forth was ignorant. Lets break it down...

The VQ35 will never be what the RB26 was and STILL is.
The RB is the past, the VQ is the future. It's lighter and has a much better powerband, and it can make power (already 1800hp out of a VQ)

The RB like the 2JZ can be modded 400whp+ reliably on stock block.
I have well over 10K trouble free miles on my car well over 400whp on a completely stock VQ35 longblock, the same can be said for over 95% of stock motored 400+whp 350Zs. That's pretty good reliability in my book...

At least more than any VQ which will have to spend thousands of dollars more and still have issues with headlift and spend 4000 on the only standalone plug and play ECU on the market. That is bull****.
What?

Plus the iron block and mind blowing sound is a plus in my book.
Yea for old tech, low displacement, heavy motors!!

Go ahead and ditch your VQ for an RB, and myself and many others will be laughing at you while we make 600+rwhp on pump gas and actually have a very usable powerband. Plus we won't have to get parts overnighted from Japan for our motors.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Zexy

Well i thought we would all have our personal wants and opinions. But anybody who has different mindset than you is just ignorant and deserves to be laughed at. Shows how horrible it is now-a-day to share opinions on public forums without getting flamed on. You're #1 on the list for the typical ******* that i'm stating about.

Have you gotten raped by another male lately? Have you caught your GF phucking another guy? Relax and be glad my friend. No need to get angry.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Plus we won't have to get parts overnighted from Japan for our motors.
Someone's been watching too much Fast and Furious . I'm done with you. Keep E-flamming to soothe your ego. You're a hero here on my350.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Nealoc187

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course, but that doesn't mean that their opinion isn't ignorant. It just means they have the right to be ignorant.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:09 PM
iNi_REALiZED

Originally Posted by RevLimitZ
4 pages of Z vs. Supra and no mention of the only undeniable advantage of the Supra: 6sp GETRAG tranny!!! BTW I'm all for the Z, but I'd swap trannies (if it were reasonably possible) any day of the week.
+1 This is what I've been thinking the whole time!
Old 09-04-2006, 09:37 PM
norapat01

anyone ever think about dropping a 2JZ engine into a Z33?
Old 09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by iNi_REALiZED
+1 This is what I've been thinking the whole time!
so ellaborate on this please I don't know anything about the GETRAG Tranny.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:31 AM
iNi_REALiZED

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
so ellaborate on this please I don't know anything about the GETRAG Tranny.
Just an attribute to how stout the mkiv's transmission is, and how over built it is from the factory. GETRAG is the company that designed/built it. www.getrag.de
Old 09-05-2006, 12:42 AM
mistaboosta

how about reving high? In a short time period we'll have custom or aftermarket turbo kits that has really big turbos to support 1000+ or 1200+ hp. At that time we will need to rev higher to have a decent powerband. Does VQ has any handicaps about high revs? I'm asking this coz i dont have enough knowledge on this issue.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:31 AM
ReV2Red
I haz da turbos

What's with all the JZ lovers. The JZ can make 400whp stock block. So can The VQ. Once you go past that, you have to start upgrading internals, and at that point, costs start to become very much equal. The JZ can make 1500hp!!! Great!! So can the VQ, and it's 10 years younger. ***! at that rate we'll be making 2000+ whp in 10 years. Watch this space!
Old 09-05-2006, 04:47 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zexy
Well i thought we would all have our personal wants and opinions. But anybody who has different mindset than you is just ignorant and deserves to be laughed at. Shows how horrible it is now-a-day to share opinions on public forums without getting flamed on. You're #1 on the list for the typical ******* that i'm stating about.
I clearly explained to you why your "opinion" is ignorant. Go back and read.

Have you gotten raped by another male lately? Have you caught your GF phucking another guy? Relax and be glad my friend. No need to get angry.
That's mature I'm not angry at all, I'm more dissapointed that people with your mindset exist. You have taken a very hard stance on an issue when you seem to have nearly no backround in said issue.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:25 AM
taurran

The only reason to swap an RB into a 350z would be to impress people at car shows that don't know the slightest thing about either motor. Sure, it's different, that's why people are interested in it.

If you're really interested in owning an RB powered car, just buy and S14 and do the swap. It can be done for a fraction of the cost, and is actually a nice upgrade (6 cyl > 4 cyl).

Just my
Old 09-05-2006, 06:40 AM
wtf no turbo

Can not compare the 2 cars its just not fair. Anyone who has owned a supra "2 for me" knows it was overengineered. This is what gave it its huge price tag. A turbo supra in 1993 was 45100 retail. It hit the 52000 mark by 1997. 45k 15 years ago with a 20 % inflation increase equates to 55k.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:42 AM
EM-EFER

Old 09-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
This is funny!
And FYI to Alberto who claims I don't know how to drive
Damn man, I didnt say you dont know how to drive, I think you do ok given you relevation/track conditions. All I said was if he was running faster than you with a lower trap speed on the same track he is outlaunching and/or outshifting you. Even if that was the case that doesnt mean you suck I never intended to insult you, why do people get so damn defensive around here?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:53 AM
nissansource

look at it this way 3-4 years the Z has been out and look at the progress we have made!!! supra has 13 years we got along way to go
Old 09-05-2006, 08:30 AM
USED

Originally Posted by ReV2Red
What's with all the JZ lovers. The JZ can make 400whp stock block. So can The VQ. Once you go past that, you have to start upgrading internals, and at that point, costs start to become very much equal. The JZ can make 1500hp!!! Great!! So can the VQ, and it's 10 years younger. ***! at that rate we'll be making 2000+ whp in 10 years. Watch this space!
The 2JZ-GTE can make up to 650whp reliably on the stock internals. The VQ35DE can do about 450whp reliable on stock internals. Huge difference.

RB26DETT = Great engine design
2JZ-GTE = Great engine design

B18C = Great engine design
VQ35DE = Great engine design

Note the grouping of engines. Two awesomely engineered FI engines and two awesomely engineered NA engines. Each one with their own downfalls. The VQ (at least the ones in G/Z's) was never intended by Nissan for FI. When Nissan replaced the RB engine in their GT500 class cars with the VQ (turbo'd, I believe it was a VQ32?), they owned the track.

I am eagerly waiting for the release of GTR Proto power plant info. If it's FI, then an equal comparison can be done. Turbo V motors still annoy me though. They have twice the piping/parts. Space restriction is horrible. Imagine how much less space the new GTR is gonna have with a front diff/prop shaft and a pair of axles under the turbos. Start cursing now All of us in the industry will have to accept it.

Quick Reply: Why are Supras so much better?