Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Why are Supras so much better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 03:25 PM
FEARSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
I didnt take the time to read the entire thread, so this may be redundant..but....

vq35 when tt'd : tons of torque down low, great power band

I don't know much about supras, but they make much less torque and the power comes on late in the power band...

I think the Supras are impressive, but I would take a 350z tt anyday

-TODD
If you dont know much about Supras then what makes you think you know about their powerband? Most of the guys here are stuck on the HUGE turbo HUGE Lag mentality. Maybe this was the case 4 or 5 yrs ago. With current technology turbine wheels and the advent of cheaper 3.4 and 3.2 liter strokers you would be surprised at how even the huge turbo Supras are performing. Most Supras now are running 61-74 mm turbos with very little lag and still making good power. I would love to run against a FI Z here. By all accounts here they should have no problem beating me since my car is laggy and I have basically no powerband.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:51 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

is that you Ced?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:54 PM
FEARSM

Originally Posted by doug
is that you Ced?
Of course! Been trying to run an F1 Z forever in Hawaii. I know there are a few here as well as some G35's. They seem to like to stick the the road course though.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
doug

Originally Posted by FEARSM
Of course! Been trying to run an F1 Z forever in Hawaii. I know there are a few here as well as some G35's. They seem to like to stick the the road course though.
i know there is one guy with an APS TT... built motor... but he was looking for someone to tune his UTEC.... i believe his name is Kim or something and his car is white.

I don't think there are any Z's in your HP range though ... on the island or here on the mainland..
Old 09-05-2006, 04:14 PM
FEARSM

Originally Posted by doug
i know there is one guy with an APS TT... built motor... but he was looking for someone to tune his UTEC.... i believe his name is Kim or something and his car is white.

I don't think there are any Z's in your HP range though ... on the island or here on the mainland..
I WAS only making like 600rwhp (automatic though). Not sure what I am at now because I changed from a 67mm turbo to a 71mm turbo and now have an undisclosed amount of nitrous. I am far from the heaviest hitter Supra here though. We have one 1006 rwhp Supra on island, one 850 rwhp and one 800 rwhp. We have about 4 that are well over 600-700 also. Although with drive train loss accounted for my auto will probably be close to 900 on the spray. I will even race him them on pump though. I do have meth/injection though so I push about 24-26 lbs on 92 pump gas. We can also go from a stop because of course Supras only go from a roll. I usually dont comment much on these boards, just read. But there are SO many misconceptions on this thread its a trip.
Old 09-05-2006, 04:22 PM
doug

https://my350z.com/forum/pacific/205313-hawaii-performance.html
Old 09-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Javierg35

Default Why are Supras so much better? Reply to Thread

I just read all pages!!!!!!
And this is my second time posting a thread.( first time was about the rb26dett wich I have worked alot of times)been there done that with rb26dett!

Now to the point ; The rb26dett have been around since 1989 ( plenny of time to do R&D) not counting the rb20det,rb25det,rb30(almost same engine different displacement)
If someone ditch the twin turbo setup out of the rb26 and go single ,modifiying this engine is actually fair cheap(not cheap but fair).
The rb 26dett has one of the most incredible POWERBANDS I have ever see.it produce some serious power from as low(depend on turbo configuration) 3000rpm to almost 10k without cams!!!!

NOW the vq35de produce more TQ. than the rb26 but powerband is from around 3000rpm to 7,200rpm.
I agree with some guys that are saying the rb26dett is for the people that dont want to wait for more R&D on the VQ35de wich is without any douth the engine of the FUTURE !!!!!!!

It all comes out to what you really want!!!!! power + tq for a daily dirver(wich is with I will go , a turbo vq35de)since is much fun to drive!!!!!!
than power + high rpms of the rb26(rb26dett in a Z or a G35 is just great looks + fast )wich is really for drag racing than a daily driver ."done that" ( i can live with that but why?????? I can have both : a VQ daily driver that can beat the crap of alot of cars in the 1/4 mile).

remember : DONT MATTER HOW FAST YOU ARE!!!!!! BECAUSE ALWAYS WILL BE SOMEONE FASTER THAT YOU!!!!!!!! (I can really say this because I used to have a 1988 300zx with a 600+whp rb26dett in it)

FOR ME A VQ35DET WITH 500WHP FOR THE STREETS IS ENOUGHT
to many fast cars here in PUERTO RICO to try to be the king!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:43 PM
Javierg35

Default 2jz vs VQ35

I rather have a VQ engine with 500whp than a 2jz with 600whp.
the VQ will produce more TQ than the 2jz. the 2jz will have a snapping neck powerband, just like a ON /OFF switch. the VQ more linear power band and more predictable which is good to pushing at the limits.

The 2jz vs rb26dett is a really tought desicion. But the rb26 will eat for lunch the 2jz. The rb26dett produce the same HP as the 2jz with less displacement + rev like no other engine out there.
2jz produce more tq just because is a 3.0 liter vs a 2.6 liter

7GMT,2jz and 3get engines are the best TOYOTA engines that came out of Japan.
VG30et,VG30dett,SR20det,rb26dett,Vq30,VQ35 are the best NISSAN engines out of JAPAN . are 6 engines vs 3 engines SO YOU GET TO YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS OF WHICH OF THE TWO COMPANIES WITH PERFOMANCE ENGINES IS THE BEST!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:49 PM
mrtomcat

Originally Posted by FEARSM
I WAS only making like 600rwhp (automatic though). Not sure what I am at now because I changed from a 67mm turbo to a 71mm turbo and now have an undisclosed amount of nitrous. I am far from the heaviest hitter Supra here though. We have one 1006 rwhp Supra on island, one 850 rwhp and one 800 rwhp. We have about 4 that are well over 600-700 also. Although with drive train loss accounted for my auto will probably be close to 900 on the spray. I will even race him them on pump though. I do have meth/injection though so I push about 24-26 lbs on 92 pump gas. We can also go from a stop because of course Supras only go from a roll. I usually dont comment much on these boards, just read. But there are SO many misconceptions on this thread its a trip.
What are you running in the 1/4 mile?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:55 PM
doug

Originally Posted by Javierg35
7GMT,2jz and 3get engines are the best TOYOTA engines that came out of Japan.
VG30et,VG30dett,SR20det,rb26dett,Vq30,VQ35 are the best NISSAN engines out of JAPAN . are 6 engines vs 3 engines SO YOU GET TO YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS OF WHICH OF THE TWO COMPANIES WITH PERFOMANCE ENGINES IS THE BEST!!!!!!

don't forget the 1JZ which is better than the 7MGTE... also the 1UZ-FE is a great V8 engine
Old 09-05-2006, 06:56 PM
doug

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
its in his sig
Old 09-05-2006, 06:59 PM
zownz

The thing that makes the supra a great highway car is its gears as well...arent they 3.3..same stuff we have in the AT Z?..at least very similar?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 PM
FEARSM

Originally Posted by mrtomcat
The 10.75 I ran was at only 124 mph. I found out later that the thrust bearing in my turbo was gone and the compressor blade was rubbing against the housing. About 40% of the blade had worn away. Before the turbo started to go my best 1/8 time was 6.32 with a 1.52 60 ft. I had to let out of that run because there was oil on the track. That would have been a high 9 sec run. That was with my OLD setup. I went to a bigger turbo, injectors and also a shot of nitrous to help spool up the turbo. I will also be able to spray the entire run if I choose. I should have some numbers on the new setup soon. I have plenty of time slips also if you want to see them, inluding the aborted run. I am definitely not the highest HP Supra on the island but I am the quickest AND fastest at the track. I was also the first Supra in Hawaii to break the 10 second mark. All my runs are done on drag radials also, full interior.

Here a a few 10 sec runs. Bad thing about Hawaii is that we dont have the times displayed at the end of the run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VtecfrqVlU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7UWRTt9738

Last edited by FEARSM; 09-05-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:08 PM
FEARSM

Originally Posted by Javierg35
I rather have a VQ engine with 500whp than a 2jz with 600whp.
the VQ will produce more TQ than the 2jz. the 2jz will have a snapping neck powerband, just like a ON /OFF switch. the VQ more linear power band and more predictable which is good to pushing at the limits.

The 2jz vs rb26dett is a really tought desicion. But the rb26 will eat for lunch the 2jz. The rb26dett produce the same HP as the 2jz with less displacement + rev like no other engine out there.
2jz produce more tq just because is a 3.0 liter vs a 2.6 liter

You can make 600rwhp with a 63mm turbo easily. Not only will it have a linear powerband but it will spool up QUICKER than a stock twinned car. I know, I have had an 60, 63, 67mm turbo. Full boost on the 63 was at 3600-3700 rpms. Full boost on the stock twins is 4200rpms. The 63 pulled hard to 7500 rpms. Thats a nice fat powerband, definitely not on-off. I made 636 rwhp and 600 rwtq with my 63 on the stock cams. I dont think a 500 rwhp Z is making more tq than that.

Last edited by FEARSM; 09-05-2006 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:29 PM
NA350Z

Vinny Ten ditched the Supra for a Z. . .nuff said.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:40 PM
plumpzz

sharp supra! I think its all in the gearing.
My friend has a MK2 supra.. He has the 7mgte motor in it w/ a 60-1 turbo, a lot like the TN kit turbo here. He rebuilt the entire car. It puts out 404rwhp/400trq. Redlines at 8500 rpm. FULL race motor on a small turbo..

It has no low end torque, it builds boost slow at first, then all of a sudden it hits around 4000rpm. Hes running a small turbo and hes planning for a T67setup..
He used to run the MK2 tranny whcih was NA and topped out at 130mph. He switched to the MK3 turbo tranny which tops out around 180 or 190. After the tranny swap, his car felt maybe twice as fast. Its all in the gearing

Shifting at 25mph in 1st gear w/ 400hp 400trq is like driving on ice. Its pretty insane. Im waiting for audiblemayhem and see what kinda numbers he'll put out. Hes supposed have 600+rwhp w/ a 200shot of nitrous and TT as well as a auto race tranny. That'll show the Z's real ptential on a drag track
Old 09-05-2006, 08:40 PM
FEARSM

Originally Posted by NA350Z
Vinny Ten ditched the Supra for a Z. . .nuff said.
Vinny ditched the Supra for the Z because he is a business man. There will be no more MKIV's, the market is saturated with shops and parts for them now. The Z market is wide open. LOL...nice try.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:41 PM
TheCajunStyle

I don't believe he simply "ditched" the Supra like you make it sound...He set a lot of records with that car, and in my opinion, he wanted to move on to something new. What's the point in beating a dead horse?
Old 09-05-2006, 08:52 PM
mrtomcat

I think it's a mixture of both. If Toyota wouldn't have pussied out of making sportscars he might have stuck around.

If I had the money I would own both a fast supra and my beloved Z they are both two of the most gorgeous cars ever made.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:22 PM
taurran

It's good that supra owners are coming around that just because you make 800+whp on the dyno, it doesn't meant the car will be fast in the 1/4. Many of the local supra owners that I know are going with the smaller, quicker spooling turbos and shooting for midrange power for a more usable powerband especially at the strip. While the stigma of turbo lag and no torque isn't quite as true as it used to be, it's only because people have found ways to improve response by other means.

However, the level at which these setups have been refined on the 2j and the custom setups people have engineered far surpasses the level of sophistication we've seen on high hp VQ35's. I haven't seen a single instance of someone spraying n2o on a high power vq setup. Much less, spraying with the intent of assisting in spool time. There really is no need for it at this point. Though, I'm sure in time that will change.

As far as making more tq than a V motor with larger displacement, do you really believe a 2JZ makes as much or more than a VQ? It's not likely, if possible, also by design. The vq35, as a higher flowing, more efficient, V engine with an extra .5 liters of displacement will fundamentally provide a better powerband and more torque. The major hurdle is that Nissan didn't build a factory turbocharged vq35.

If you want to see torque, take a look at some of VRT, and a few other people on these forums, numbers. There are peole here making plenty of torque on high whp TT Z's, all without spraying. Hell, even at a measly 400whp on stock motor and drivetrain, I'm making 430whp on a 60-1 single turbo kit (almost 400ft/lbs at 3200rpms, untuned).

On the subject of stroker kits - take a look at some of the VQ stroker kits on the market. You can take this motor to 4.3l with a stroker kit, or even simply overbore to 3.8l with a sleeved block. I only know of one Z that's running a stroker on a turbo setup, and it's the injected performance Z, which is a single turbo. Unfortunately they haven't given up any numbers. There are a couple people running 3.8l overbored motors with much success.

We've still yet to see the beginning of real powerful VQ motors. In time we will. It's hard to compare it to 2JZ powered supras as they've already peaked in performance after 10+ years of tuning. I'll agree that presently the 2JZ is capable of a lot more, but the VQ will catch up, and most likely surpass it, in due time.

Sorry for beating the dead horse, but I was feeling a bit long winded..... . .

Quick Reply: Why are Supras so much better?