Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS single TUrbo? yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Bullitproof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
well everyone loves APS Turbo's because of the extra 2 mins you have to leave your car running to cool down your turbo's when you run them hard
That doesnt even make sense.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:28 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarspunZ
isnt there a little device called a turbo timer to solve that problem?

damn i wouldnt mind waiting 10 mins if my turbo worked right
yeah, but me personally.. i just sit in the car for 3 mins and call it a day
Old 10-17-2006, 11:29 AM
doug

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
That doesnt even make sense.
water cooled turbo's vs oil cooled turbo's.. it was one of the selling points that won over some owners instead of the Greddy Kit
Old 10-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Bullitproof

Oh. well for me that's a moot point. my alarm has a intergrated turbo timer. press a button and them arm the alarm and you're off. car shuts off in 2 minutes. no more waiting around.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:37 AM
wtf no turbo

From a former owner of one HELL NO! APS makes decent stuff but until they get competent customer service in the states I suggest no one buying anything from them. TN has its issues but the for make up for this in CS
Old 10-17-2006, 11:38 AM
taurran

I'm happy with my Single Turbo setup. At the time, a TT kit was totally out of the question which had me looking at supercharger setups. When the ST kits hit the market they were a perfect medium. Now I realize that I dont' really NEED more power in my car as I'm not a hardcore racer type. As long as my motor holds up, I'm totally happy with around 400 to the wheels.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:42 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by doug
water cooled turbo's vs oil cooled turbo's.. it was one of the selling points that won over some owners instead of the Greddy Kit
That isn't the reason why these other kits are water cooled. The real reason is that on a dual ball bearing turbo, it would totally melt down/self destruct without some sort of water cooling. On traditional turbochargers and ceramic ball bearing turbos, this is not a problem.

No cooldown required and higher water temps are just a biproduct of the necessity of water cooling on these dual ball bearing turbos.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:45 AM
synth19

I dont understand why ppl get pissed at APS for "poor customer service." Perhaps some manufacturers excel at this, but why would you expect customer service from the product maker? If I have issues with my APS setup, I would call GRD and have THEM figure out the problem and do my legwork. There is no way I would call the actual manufacturer for ANYTHING unless I bought directly from them. I never even would consider it. When I had issues with some wheels a few years ago, I contacted the vendor who helped me resolve the issue, not the company in Japan. Anyways, this is just my opinion.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:53 AM
sugarspunZ

Received 665 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by synth19
I dont understand why ppl get pissed at APS for "poor customer service." Perhaps some manufacturers excel at this, but why would you expect customer service from the product maker? If I have issues with my APS setup, I would call GRD and have THEM figure out the problem and do my legwork. There is no way I would call the actual manufacturer for ANYTHING unless I bought directly from them. I never even would consider it. When I had issues with some wheels a few years ago, I contacted the vendor who helped me resolve the issue, not the company in Japan. Anyways, this is just my opinion.
true i agree 100% with that. however when your shop or tuner can not get in touch with them, or parts take 3 years to get delivered then it can be a pain in the ***
Old 10-17-2006, 11:59 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by synth19
Well, if you look at it from another standpoint of "Why shouldn't we expect this from a product manufacturer" it might make a little sense. Overseas companies have us trained pretty well, eh?

The big difference between, APS, Greddy, etc and Turbonetics is that one is located here in the US. This makes it a lot easier to warranty parts directly. It's also a good reason to buy from them as your money is staying here in the good ole US of A.

And no, I'm not trying to make this an APS vs TN thing. As long as the problem is fixed in either case, for either kit, it doesn't really matter who did the leg work.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
sugarspunZ

Received 665 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
Well, if you look at it from another standpoint of "Why shouldn't we expect this from a product manufacturer" it might make a little sense. Overseas companies have us trained pretty well, eh?

The big difference between, APS, Greddy, etc and Turbonetics is that one is located here in the US. This makes it a lot easier to warranty parts directly. It's also a good reason to buy from them as your money is staying here in the good ole US of A.

And no, I'm not trying to make this an APS vs TN thing. As long as the problem is fixed in either case, for either kit, it doesn't really matter who did the leg work.
again i agree with you. it is always an aps vs the world thing
Old 10-17-2006, 12:03 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by phunk
just save another little bit of money and get a twin turbo kit. from all the reviews i have read, it sounds like everyone either wishes they went twins, or soon will. the only positive things i have read about that single kit is "my car is fast" ... yea well, that happens when you put a turbo on it, that isnt saying a whole lot. just get the twins right off the bat, it just makes more sense. why bother with return oil pumps, road clearance issues, boost dropping off problems, a terrible EMS solution, limited HP potential. skip all that junk, go for the prize.
So which TT kit do you suggest? If the APS ST isn't so good, can their TT kit be better?
Old 10-17-2006, 12:05 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by DMK
So which TT kit do you suggest? If the APS ST isn't so good, can their TT kit be better?
IMO the APS TT kit is the only way to go turbo...be it single or twins

I fully agree with Phunk....go TT or don't go turbo at all

The ST kits seem to cause more problems than anything else

Last edited by zman1910; 10-17-2006 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:14 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by zman1910

I'll have to disagree with you there. Mine has worked with basically no strings attached. For what I paid for this setup compared to a TT kit, I am more than happy with my results.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 PM
chimmike

LOL! the JWT twins have it all over the aps setup. The JWT setup looks better, spools faster, and the customer service is far better.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:23 PM
doug

APS Kit is only good if you wanted an out of the box no modification twin turbo kit..

after you start buying other EMS, down pipes, fuel systems.. the Greddy Kit puts the APS Kit to shame...
Old 10-17-2006, 12:24 PM
doug

Originally Posted by taurran
That isn't the reason why these other kits are water cooled. The real reason is that on a dual ball bearing turbo, it would totally melt down/self destruct without some sort of water cooling. On traditional turbochargers and ceramic ball bearing turbos, this is not a problem.

No cooldown required and higher water temps are just a biproduct of the necessity of water cooling on these dual ball bearing turbos.
i am just telling you what the fan boys told me why they went with APS over Greddy
Old 10-17-2006, 01:30 PM
original786

Thanks for everyone's imput

i did not mean to start a heated conversation. just asking everyones honest opinion that i take into consideration

yes i am college student..that doesnt have alot of $$$$$$
so i thought APS kit, sound reasonably expensive. and good kit with add ons here and there..

i did look at the APS TT kit..kind of pricey, but still keeping it in mind

i dont want too much power, since its a daily driver, 400 will be plenty fine..
Old 10-17-2006, 01:36 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by original786
you say that now...I've heard many people say that they'd be happy with 350-380whp, but then they later start talking about spending big bucks to reach 500+ pretty soon
Old 10-17-2006, 01:47 PM
synth19

heated conversation always follows any questions regarding FI options here.

Originally Posted by original786
Thanks for everyone's imput

i did not mean to start a heated conversation. just asking everyones honest opinion that i take into consideration

yes i am college student..that doesnt have alot of $$$$$$
so i thought APS kit, sound reasonably expensive. and good kit with add ons here and there..

i did look at the APS TT kit..kind of pricey, but still keeping it in mind

Quick Reply: APS single TUrbo? yes or no