Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS single TUrbo? yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 01:49 PM
Peking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
I'm happy with my Single Turbo setup. At the time, a TT kit was totally out of the question which had me looking at supercharger setups. When the ST kits hit the market they were a perfect medium. Now I realize that I dont' really NEED more power in my car as I'm not a hardcore racer type. As long as my motor holds up, I'm totally happy with around 400 to the wheels.
Honestly so am I, and agreed 400 WHP is more than enough for a daily driving street car.

Originally Posted by original786
Thanks for everyone's imput
i did not mean to start a heated conversation. just asking everyones honest opinion that i take into consideration
yes i am college student..that doesnt have alot of $$$$$$
so i thought APS kit, sound reasonably expensive. and good kit with add ons here and there..
i did look at the APS TT kit..kind of pricey, but still keeping it in mind
i dont want too much power, since its a daily driver, 400 will be plenty fine..
Don't worry, this always happen.

To be said maybe you should def. wait till after college before taking the plunge into boost. I look back and wish I wouldn't have waited till my Z was paid off before boosting.

And spend the time searching/reading/learning from all the available threads... There is alot of good info and experience within the threads.

Also I have seen the APS single in person, and have read/heard the issues with the kit. I was not impressed by the kit, and even more turned off by the problems (holding boost, oil collecting in strange places, and terrible customer service).

While the Turbonetics Kit is very nice looking and you can get the Tuner Kit with supporting mods (fuel pump, injectors, Engine Management) and be in really good shape along with great customer service.

When you have some time I would suggest you give Sharif@Forgedperformance a visit. He has done set-ups for customers like yourself still in school and wanting to have a safe reliable boosted car (APS, Greddy, HKS, Vortech, Turbonetics, JWT, etc)

-Jonathan-
Old 10-17-2006, 02:03 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by chimmike
LOL! the JWT twins have it all over the aps setup. The JWT setup looks better, spools faster, and the customer service is far better.
LOL!! your gonna get a kit bc it looks better!(stupid statement) Not to mention no fuel return, using stock injectors, and an outdated fuel management system. Thats actually kinda funny and it shows just how much you know. Sure it spools faster and I dont know how you can judge customer service when there aren't that many kits out there to begin with. Once again the APS TT is the most complete kit you can get out of the box - that is all I'm trying to say.

As much as I love the JWT kit it is clearly lacking a few things. Unless I add those things to the setup I wouldn't feel safe driving around with the kit

Last edited by zman1910; 10-17-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:04 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by doug
APS Kit is only good if you wanted an out of the box no modification twin turbo kit..

after you start buying other EMS, down pipes, fuel systems.. the Greddy Kit puts the APS Kit to shame...
That was my point and I agree with everything you said
Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 PM
zman1910

I'll have to disagree with you there. Mine has worked with basically no strings attached. For what I paid for this setup compared to a TT kit, I am more than happy with my results.
Couldn't be happier for you and I hope your kit continues to provide many years of enjoyment
Old 10-17-2006, 02:12 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by zman1910
LOL!! your gonna get a kit bc it looks better!(stupid statement) Not to mention no fuel return, using stock injectors, and an outdated fuel management system. Thats actually kinda funny and it shows just how much you know. Sure it spools faster and I dont know how you can judge customer service when there aren't that many kits out there to begin with. Once again the APS TT is the most complete kit you can get out of the box - that is all I'm trying to say.
Actually, I'd be willing to bet Chimmike knows much more about this than most here. He's actually very knowledgable when it comes to turbochargers. Most people here are nothing more than sheep when it comes to turbo knowledge and just go off what they read from the biased opinions on this forum. "Most complete" is objective. If a kit comes well equipped to handle the target power levels then I would consider it "complete".

Besides, this "complete kit" BS that is so popular is almost unheard of in the aftermarket FI world. Most people that don't own 350z's would be more comfortable building their own setup than leaving it to a manufacturer to put in the lowest cost components and calling it "complete". This is just another fallacy perpetuated by certain manufacturer marketing schemes in this community.

I have no doubt that JWT knows more about these cars than any other shop in the US, if not abroad. Saying that the JWT kit is not complete is just ignorant. It serves its purpose well, and to my knowledge still is the "safest" TT kit on the market with no blown motors to date (that we've heard of, at least).
Old 10-17-2006, 02:14 PM
taurran

Couldn't be happier for you and I hope your kit continues to provide many years of enjoyment
Thanks, I hope so to. I still think making blanket statements is not a good thing. Everyone has their own goals and budget, and fortunately there is a kit on the market that will fit about any of these.

The turbonetics kit just happens my goals and budget just right.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:18 PM
dutchboy

This is just another fallacy perpetuated by certain manufacturer marketing schemes in this community.

Lots of smart sounding words in that there sentance.

Taurran, what mods do you have other than the TN single and exhaust? I've read alot of your threads, and I can't recall any other bolt-ons. You're making really good power for the reflash from what I have seen.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:24 PM
chimmike

As much as I love the JWT kit it is clearly lacking a few things. Unless I add those things to the setup I wouldn't feel safe driving around with the kit
the guy doesn't want over 500whp. And the JWT kit will make 550 whp as it stands, per words directly from Jim Wolf himself. It's incredibly quick spooling and provides solid power to redline. The kit is as well-engineered as any kit on the market, and if JWT gets approval, it will be the ONLY turbo kit that is also CARB approved.

I dwouldn't down JWT's kit
Old 10-17-2006, 02:28 PM
zman1910

Actually, I'd be willing to bet Chimmike knows much more about this than most here. He's actually very knowledgable when it comes to turbochargers.
And I dont doubt that he does....however I dont think good looks is at the top of most peoples list
Old 10-17-2006, 02:54 PM
zman1910

I have no doubt that JWT knows more about these cars than any other shop in the US, if not abroad. Saying that the JWT kit is not complete is just ignorant. It serves its purpose well, and to my knowledge still is the "safest" TT kit on the market with no blown motors to date (that we've heard of, at least).
Believe me I know plenty about the JWT kit as it stands. As I told you a while back I am highly considering this purchase for my new Z. Having said that I will not be running the stock kit over 400whp without a few upgrades of my own. I have also discussed this with my shop whom also agrees with my decisions on the upgrades....IMO its a small price to pay for a little extra security

Given this guys scenario I think if you want an out of the box solution the APS TT's are the way too go, without having to upgrade anything. You don't have to do what I will be doing to the JWT kit but as I said before I wouldn't feel safe leaving it be

Last edited by zman1910; 10-17-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:58 PM
MIAPLAYA

And I dont doubt that he does....however I dont think good looks is at the top of most peoples list
While I agree that looks aren't the only thing to factor in some people do think about their investment and what it looks like under the hood. If I produced a part that made 150 WHP and did a wonderful job at it but looked like a complete POS would everyone buy it? Prolly not. As far as the JWT argument I agree with taurran that a lot of people simply repeat what someone else told them. The fact remains that no other company on the market (aside from Nismo Japan) has been making parts for Nissans longer then Jim Wolf. The guys has decades of time doing Nissan development and is far smarter then any of us on this board. Hell I remember a time when JWT introduced ECU controlled Nitrous injection for the older Nissans. Everyone doubted them then but as usual the system worked like a charm and is still what I would use if I had an older Max. While it may not be conventional his fuel system works and aparentely works well. Several track cars can attest to that. Jim Wolf is not in the habit of producing products that blow up peoples car or are incapable of the target parameters they are designed for. I would put him and Clark up against Peter and George any day of the week. For those new to Nissans JWT may just be another name. For those that have been around for a while JWT is almost a household brand. Granted there are things I personally don't like about the kit but those are my opinions and I'm sure if I brought them up to Jim or Clark I'd get my @ss handed to me in a well versed engineering reply. My personal perference should be obvious by now to everyone. I think Jhame and Turbonetics are topnotch engineers and know their stuff. Fmax was also a pretty common name before Turbonetics bought them out. My main point is that just because someone departs from the beaten path doesn't mean their choice is unsafe or won't work. These guys know what they are doing and have been doing it for a very long time with great success.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:59 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by dutchboy
Lots of smart sounding words in that there sentance.

Taurran, what mods do you have other than the TN single and exhaust? I've read alot of your threads, and I can't recall any other bolt-ons. You're making really good power for the reflash from what I have seen.
Exhaust, 5/16 plenum spacer, boost controller, and a well installed kit.

That's about as far as I want to take it with the reflash. I'll be looking at the 1.5 kit, a custom tune, and a clutch/flywheel setup to run a more conservative street tune in the near future.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:05 PM
DMK

Which kit comes more complete, faster spooling, reliable and has more potential - TN ST or APS ST? Which kit has blown more motors?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

water cooled turbo's vs oil cooled turbo's.. it was one of the selling points that won over some owners instead of the Greddy Kit
Actually the APs turbos are Water and oil cooled, unlike Greddy which is just oil cooled..Never left mine running for 3 mins, ever..
Old 10-17-2006, 03:10 PM
zman1910

Originally Posted by DMK
Which kit comes more complete, faster spooling, reliable and has more potential - TN ST or APS ST? Which kit has blown more motors?
More complete - APS
Faster spooling - I'd say about the same
Reliability - thats a toss up - lots of factors come into play(tune, install)
Blown motors - TN but they have also sold many more kits. Just do some research and see why any of these kits have failed. 99% of the time its due to some type of negligence on the owners behalf
Old 10-17-2006, 03:24 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

of course its not.. its only offered by the top Tuners and installers in the country..

i bet you any money in the world if JWT opens up his kit to every Tom dick and harry in the US you will find more blown kits..

Look at Noah's car.. poor work done and his motor was almost blown... you guys keep buying into that whole JWT bullsh!t..

let me tell you something.. a survey can provide you with whatever results if you control the test bed to how you want your results to reflect..

and the JWT Kit getting CARB approval.. yeah.. hold your breath on that one
Old 10-17-2006, 03:26 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
While I agree that looks aren't the only thing to factor in some people do think about their investment and what it looks like under the hood. If I produced a part that made 150 WHP and did a wonderful job at it but looked like a complete POS would everyone buy it? Prolly not. As far as the JWT argument I agree with taurran that a lot of people simply repeat what someone else told them. The fact remains that no other company on the market (aside from Nismo Japan) has been making parts for Nissans longer then Jim Wolf. The guys has decades of time doing Nissan development and is far smarter then any of us on this board. Hell I remember a time when JWT introduced ECU controlled Nitrous injection for the older Nissans. Everyone doubted them then but as usual the system worked like a charm and is still what I would use if I had an older Max. While it may not be conventional his fuel system works and aparentely works well. Several track cars can attest to that. Jim Wolf is not in the habit of producing products that blow up peoples car or are incapable of the target parameters they are designed for. I would put him and Clark up against Peter and George any day of the week. For those new to Nissans JWT may just be another name. For those that have been around for a while JWT is almost a household brand. Granted there are things I personally don't like about the kit but those are my opinions and I'm sure if I brought them up to Jim or Clark I'd get my @ss handed to me in a well versed engineering reply. My personal perference should be obvious by now to everyone. I think Jhame and Turbonetics are topnotch engineers and know their stuff. Fmax was also a pretty common name before Turbonetics bought them out. My main point is that just because someone departs from the beaten path doesn't mean their choice is unsafe or won't work. These guys know what they are doing and have been doing it for a very long time with great success.

thats funny... JWT blew up Loren's SuperCharged Maxima because they tuned his ECU for N/A instead of his 3.12 Pulley Setup
Old 10-17-2006, 03:28 PM
Bullitproof

^wowsers.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:30 PM
taurran

of course its not.. its only offered by the top Tuners and installers in the country..

i bet you any money in the world if JWT opens up his kit to every Tom dick and harry in the US you will find more blown kits..

Look at Noah's car.. poor work done and his motor was almost blown... you guys keep buying into that whole JWT bullsh!t..

let me tell you something.. a survey can provide you with whatever results if you control the test bed to how you want your results to reflect..

and the JWT Kit getting CARB approval.. yeah.. hold your breath on that one
Same can be said for the APS kits. One big reason why they haven't had as many blown motors is that they regulate who is actually doing the install work. This is a huge part of "kit reliability" that I'm well aware of. This is one reason why the turbonetics kit has as many publicised problems as it does. I'd say its the single most self-installed turbo kit for this car.

As far as the JWT debate, I was mainly pointing out the fact that comparing its "completeness" vs the APS kit is arguable. Both kits handle power quite well and are aimed at slightly different target audiences.

I'm afraid you missed the point of my last post. You're very much preaching to the choir here...
Old 10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
zman1910

thats funny... JWT blew up Loren's SuperCharged Maxima because they tuned his ECU for N/A instead of his 3.12 Pulley Setup
Wow! That I did not know...interesting to say the least

Quick Reply: APS single TUrbo? yes or no