Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

AEM or Innovative Wideband

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 04:27 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AEM or Innovative Wideband

Any reason to pick one over the other?

JET
Old 11-11-2006, 04:38 PM
redline350ZZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Innovative and I like it , If I had to complain about 1 thing it would be that the power wires from the gauge itself are thin. I have not heard of any issues with it but I have heard of AEM not registering A/F right in rich conditions. It also doesn't look as cheap as the AEM IMHO but it is 100.00 more. I like that it has data logging capabilities and I have heard the output signals can be inserted into EMS systems. Heres more info...

The Innovate “Standalone Gauge Kit” comes complete with the NEW! LC-1 Wideband Controller, NEW! XD-1 Programmable Digital Gauge, Bosch 5-wire Wideband 02 Sensor, Bung/Plug Kit, Software CD, and owners manual.

The LC-1 is a complete Wideband controller built in to a sealed cable. It features the same award-winning patented digital measurement principal found in the LM-1, and includes digital input, output, and 2 programmable analog outputs.

The Innovate XD-1 dash-mountable Digital Gauge features programmable LED colors and remote control button to start and stop LM-1 log sessions or initiate calibration. The entire gauge is a mere .750" thick, so it's possible to mount even in surface mount configurations. The display features a 3 character central LED display, remote control button, and a programmable digital needle. The body is a billet aluminum bezel.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:45 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not even a contest.... Innovate all the way.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:35 PM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

larry, why don't you get the TurboXS Tuner Wibedand. it logs everything through your UTEC. It is the best setup for the UTEC........you do have a UTEC< don't you?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:13 PM
redline350ZZ

Can the Innovative be used with a UTEC if you already have a Innovative..hmmmm
Old 11-11-2006, 10:18 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCam
larry, why don't you get the TurboXS Tuner Wibedand. it logs everything through your UTEC. It is the best setup for the UTEC........you do have a UTEC< don't you?
Yes I have a UTEC. You mean like the Tuner Reg? What display can I use to display A/F?

JET
Old 11-12-2006, 12:11 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Does the UTEC accept a regular 0-5V output? If so, then yes. As long as you know the specs of the signal the UTEC can accept, or conversely you can define the scale in the UTEC software, you can make it work in 10 minutes.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:11 AM
gNaRKiLL

I have personal experience with the innovate wideband with my formula SAE club and I gotta tell ya hands down its the way to go. The software alone has been invaluable in helping us tune our vehicle. Their whole system works flawlessly.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:24 AM
chimmike

guys, it's not innovative, it's innovate. 2 totally different companies

Innovate for the win. Won't kill sensors as fast as AEM and IIRC AEM won't let you recalibrate on teh fly
Old 11-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Innovate 02 sensor was done after 1 tuning session on the dyno and less than 1000 street driven miles. Another friend of mine had the same experience. Even having to spend $60 to replace it, I love it, looks much better than the AEM, and seems slightly more responsive.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:50 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Yes I have a UTEC. You mean like the Tuner Reg? What display can I use to display A/F?

JET
the tuner reg has an LED display onthe front of it.......I have mine tucked up behind the dash so I can't see the display, but I just look at the laptop when I am datalogging. The A:F comes up on the last column of the UTEC log.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:15 AM
lemansz20
Banned

alright everyone is worrying me, I have the aem. Is it really not that good or something???
Old 11-12-2006, 07:27 AM
in2therain3

Innovate is very accurate . I love mine!
Old 11-12-2006, 07:34 AM
KPierson
Banned

The UTEC will NOT work with any other wideband. TurboXS will not release the comm information for their wideband. If they did, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to scale any wideband to work in the parameters of the UTEC input.

However, if you ditch the less then impressive Hyperterminal interface that TurboXS provides and use some 'real' software it is possible to log AEM and Innovate wideband data in real time against the UTEC data. Even though the TurboXS wideband would be the easiest way to go, I wouldn't buy it out of spite for them trying to force us to use their guage. I like having choices.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Innovate all the way. The AEM is less expensive, but prone to faulty readings. We've seen it many times on the dyno. And without a method of recalibrating, I dont like it.

The Innovate looks and reads MUCH better than the AEM.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:51 AM
TayTaythatsme04

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Innovate all the way. The AEM is less expensive, but prone to faulty readings. We've seen it many times on the dyno. And without a method of recalibrating, I dont like it.

+1 the innovate unit is much better, but I was reading a thread were the Turbo XS Tuner unit was hooked-up to display out of the AEM unit.

I see if I can find the thread

T
Old 11-12-2006, 09:03 AM
KPierson
Banned

It was most likely my thread, using two seperate com ports and using software to combine the data together in one screen/log.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:03 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by KPierson
The UTEC will NOT work with any other wideband. TurboXS will not release the comm information for their wideband. If they did, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to scale any wideband to work in the parameters of the UTEC input.

However, if you ditch the less then impressive Hyperterminal interface that TurboXS provides and use some 'real' software it is possible to log AEM and Innovate wideband data in real time against the UTEC data. Even though the TurboXS wideband would be the easiest way to go, I wouldn't buy it out of spite for them trying to force us to use their guage. I like having choices.
Well, this is very easy to fix.... as long as the relationship is linear. Just program different voltages into the innovate, and see how it appears on the screen. Once you get your curve, you are all good to go.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:50 PM
KPierson
Banned

If I remember correctly, it's not a voltage, it's a serial data stream. I may be wrong, as it's been quite a while since I did the research.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:57 PM
teh215

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged

I know that this is OT but, do you have any experience with PLX devices? I have their M300 and I really like it.

Quick Reply: AEM or Innovative Wideband