Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The reason the VQ35 breaks with FI

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:23 PM
350zSteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The reason the VQ35 breaks with FI

Well, ive been part of this forum for awhile, had a vortech at one time, but I havent payed attn to the FI for awhile..... have we found out EXACTLY what causes the motors to blow? Sorry if has been found but I didnt see anything new while searching..

Im pretty sure rods go first, but I remember APS claiming that the rod bearings dont get enough oil which causes them to heat up, seize, and then the rods break... This doesnt exactly seem correct, because people with built motors are using the same oil design, with oem bearings and achieve 600+whp

Although I see A LOT of built motors blowing...

Is the weak point strictly the rods?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:27 PM
taurran

No exact cause has been confirmed, but there are multiple theories. I doubt it is as simple as simply weak stock rods.

I don't see many built motors blowing... Where are you seeing these? The only issue I've seen to plague built motors was headlift/blown headgaskets but that's since been resolved.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:33 PM
350zSteve

Well, theres a few local guys that have blown their built motors, I believe one guy just blew his second built motor. I cant confirm he was running it properly, just heard he blew it.

Thx for the reply, I wish we knew exaclty what the weak point was, you would think we would have the answer by now, are boosted revup motors holding up better than 287's??
Old 12-06-2006, 12:38 PM
clemlover15

well if the guy has blown a second motor I guess the defect is the instal, tune, or more than likely driver abuse.

also i have heard stock motors 03 - 05 have weak rod bolts which is why the 06 have stronger ones, I think??
Old 12-06-2006, 12:38 PM
thawk408

I know a guy that has blown a few built motors, but he was also running 16psi and using the emanage blue....
Old 12-06-2006, 12:40 PM
clemlover15

at 16psi I hope he was sleeved and should have been running F-CON

Last edited by clemlover15; 12-06-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:00 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by clemlover15
at 16psi I hope we sleeved and should have been running F-CON
True that. I wouldnt even run the blue on a built motor on 5psi.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:38 PM
Mahdivr4

well if the guy has blown a second motor I guess the defect is the instal, tune, or more than likely driver abuse.

also i have heard stock motors 03 - 05 have weak rod bolts which is why the 06 have stronger ones, I think??

Yeah the 06 got a bolt in the rod (I think so dose the 05, REVUP)
Old 12-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

at 16psi I hope he was sleeved and should have been running F-CON
Sleeved at 16 psi? The boards have you brain washed.

almost an infinite number of reasons for a motor to let go.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:43 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Open decks really only distort at high rpms not directly from cylinder pressure. There are open deck 2.5l inline porsche engines making like 600whp, they dont break cylinders.... Just trannys you have shift right, so the rpms dont hit the tq peak while getting on it from the shift. If that makes any sense.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:54 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, rods are the weak point. the beam is only about as thick as your pointer finger! second is pistons. very small ring lands.
gotta remember this is the same motor they use in the quest! the only guys making a stock motor last is retarding the timing large amounts so it fires on the way back down and not at the peak of compression.
when i pulled my stock block apart, i had 5 bent rods and 4 different pistons with broken ring lands. yes, visibly bent.
i know your still fairily new to the forum, but yes, this info was found 1.5-2 years ago with not much talk about it since. some searches on headlift/combustion leaks is the main battle at this point.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:06 PM
overZealous1

Originally Posted by rocks
Open decks really only distort at high rpms not directly from cylinder pressure. There are open deck 2.5l inline porsche engines making like 600whp, they dont break cylinders.... Just trannys you have shift right, so the rpms dont hit the tq peak while getting on it from the shift. If that makes any sense.
ya, inlines will always hold more power than V design due to the fact they run a main bearing inbetween every cylinder unlike a V that will run 2 cylinders between every main bearing. crank flex can result in core shift. luckily the VQ35's decks become "closed" again about 1 1/2" down off the deck, cylinder shift should not be to bad. but i have seen signs the end cylinders move the most, and the areas inbetween the cylinders are also a concern with lifting. it is due to the headbolt layout.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:12 AM
Q45tech

Why would any engineer chance the accountants wrath by over designing any NA engine to tolerate over pressure from boost for long - a pure waste of money proving the engineer is unfit to keep his job.

The cheapest parts that will do the job [make it thru warranty and 100k which ever is sooner] is what mass production is all about.

Computers have enabled maunfacturers to wring out all the waste of yore, where you overbuilt, as the easiest method of creating longevity.......this wasteful concept was dropped im the mid 90's designs which went into production in 2002.

Look back at the J30/300zx engine [castiron block] even in it's mild boosted form almost every internal component was different and strengthened.

Hopefully the engineers use every stock internal failure on the web as proof they did their job well and frugally! See boss another one bit the dust see how good I am...........not a gram of extra weight in any of MY DESIGNS.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:28 AM
THE TECH

You'd think that Nissan's US flagship would at least have something that the Quest or Maxima doesn't have. Too bad Nissan doesn't care as much about the Z as they do the Skyline.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:25 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by overZealous1
yes, rods are the weak point. the beam is only about as thick as your pointer finger! second is pistons. very small ring lands.
gotta remember this is the same motor they use in the quest! the only guys making a stock motor last is retarding the timing large amounts so it fires on the way back down and not at the peak of compression.
when i pulled my stock block apart, i had 5 bent rods and 4 different pistons with broken ring lands. yes, visibly bent.
i know your still fairily new to the forum, but yes, this info was found 1.5-2 years ago with not much talk about it since. some searches on headlift/combustion leaks is the main battle at this point.
I disagree, we don't know what exactly causes motors to go. I have been running mid to upper 4xxwhp the better part of two years on a completely stock long block with no issues whatsoever. I don't have large amounts of timing pulled and I beat on my car constantly.

You can speculate all you want but power isn't what typically causes a con rod to break or bend. Detonation and excessive revolustions are much more likely culprits.

All that said, my stock motor is coming out of my car this weekend. It's still in perfect running condition..but I have bigger plans for the spring.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Q45tech
Why would any engineer chance the accountants wrath by over designing any NA engine to tolerate over pressure from boost for long - a pure waste of money proving the engineer is unfit to keep his job.

The cheapest parts that will do the job [make it thru warranty and 100k which ever is sooner] is what mass production is all about.

Computers have enabled maunfacturers to wring out all the waste of yore, where you overbuilt, as the easiest method of creating longevity.......this wasteful concept was dropped im the mid 90's designs which went into production in 2002.

Look back at the J30/300zx engine [castiron block] even in it's mild boosted form almost every internal component was different and strengthened.

Hopefully the engineers use every stock internal failure on the web as proof they did their job well and frugally! See boss another one bit the dust see how good I am...........not a gram of extra weight in any of MY DESIGNS.
So please explain why I've been able to run over 500 crank HP on a completely stock VQ35 longblock for the better part of 2 years and nearly 15K VERY HARD miles? It's not luck and the VAST majority of people that boost the stock motor have the same experience as me. Sure you hear about a couple failures here and there, but for every 10 failures, there's over 100 guys who have zero issues.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:34 AM
G1s Z

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax

All that said, my stock motor is coming out of my car this weekend. It's still in perfect running condition..but I have bigger plans for the spring.

Niiice, good luck and can't wait to see what's up!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:37 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's been many people who hurt their engine when the engine was NA

I think most of it is knowing what you're doing with maintenance. Maybe a small portion are faulty engines - if you're going to boost the stock block, usually it's a good idea to put a decent amount of miles on it first to make sure it's ok - and where warrenty can cover it if there was an issue
Old 12-07-2006, 08:46 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by THE TECH
You'd think that Nissan's US flagship would at least have something that the Quest or Maxima doesn't have. Too bad Nissan doesn't care as much about the Z as they do the Skyline.
The Z was designed to be profitable. The GTR is being designed to set the standard.

(note - the skyline is the g35)
Old 12-07-2006, 08:55 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by taurran
The Z was designed to be profitable. The GTR is being designed to set the standard.

(note - the skyline is the g35)
Sucks to be us.

Quick Reply: The reason the VQ35 breaks with FI