Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

FI = Smelling like exhaust / gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:16 AM
BobaFettm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI = Smelling like exhaust / gas

One of the key reasons why I want to get rid of my Z after all the work I have put into it is for the fact that I cant stand smelling the way I do after I get done driving it. It doesn't matter if the windows are open or down, or if the heater is on or off... I will get out of the car reaking like exhaust / gas... even though I doubt the smell is harmful since its barely noticeable while your in the car.

Once you leave its a different story... its so bad that I can smell it on my skin after taking off the clothes I had on and will literally need to take a shower

Has this happened to anyone else? I loved my Z... but this has really made me question on keeping it...

Any info would help greatly!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:25 AM
wtf no turbo

I see the same thing sometimes but only when the top is up. After the last tune Mike did at aam it seemed to be very minimal and may be due to a rich condition.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:29 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep running into a gas smell probelm on my car in the last week or so.

I can't find a leak under the hood. I am prett sure it is from somewhere under the hood because if I turn my A/C off, the smell goes away. I turn the A/C back on and in comes the smell again. My smell of of raw gas, not post-combustion emissions. The strange thing is that the smell is not always there. It seems like I get it after I have been getting on it.

this morning on the way to work, I just crusied and had no smell.

one thing that may have happened was last week when I changed out my fuel pressure sensor (new gauge) fuel squited out onto the back of the engine (valley in the block). I would think that the gas would have evaporated by now. right???
Old 12-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

since the svrt dumps expell right under the cabin, after a drive I also reak of exhaust and my eyes burn, but damn is it worth it
Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 AM
BobaFettm

lol... okay I wanted to see if it was fixable... but it looks like its not

sigh... well it looks like im off to something new this spring!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:21 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the AAM return fuel system?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:23 AM
350zSteve

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
lol... okay I wanted to see if it was fixable... but it looks like its not

sigh... well it looks like im off to something new this spring!
Dont get rid of it!! Im sure theres a leak somewhere... I dont think you could possibly be smelling anything unelss it was leaking.. Do you have a catch can? If you are smelling raw fuel, you have a fuel leak, if you smell burned fuel/exhaust, you have an exhaust leak, I dont think FI has anything to do with it, ie..the most "smell" you should be getting would be the same as a bone stock car without cats...
Old 12-07-2006, 11:26 AM
CNOTE

Originally Posted by Juztin
since the svrt dumps expell right under the cabin, after a drive I also reak of exhaust and my eyes burn, but damn is it worth it
are you serious?
Old 12-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Ahmads350z

i like the smell lol
Old 12-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Peking

You guys smelling the fuel and stuff... Are you guys using cats or no? Cause with the TN I don't have cats and it reaks of fumes of exhaust/gas.

I want a hi-flow cat on there now hopefully to help remove some of that gas smell.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Juztin

Originally Posted by CNOTE
are you serious?
yup
Old 12-07-2006, 01:03 PM
BobaFettm

Originally Posted by Peking
You guys smelling the fuel and stuff... Are you guys using cats or no? Cause with the TN I don't have cats and it reaks of fumes of exhaust/gas.

I want a hi-flow cat on there now hopefully to help remove some of that gas smell.
same here... no Cats... and my eyes burn at times from the amount of exhaust / gas smell... I'm just at the point where I gotta ditch it cuz I cant be rolling up to class / work reaking like gas and what not... and I'd like a fun car for a daily driver (except in winter) to actually use instead of a car to sit in my garage every day...

its fine... the switch is probably a good thing... I'll get something in all black and it will help with all the ticket getting .. Elise, M classes, evo x... are all on the list of possiblities
Old 12-07-2006, 01:14 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that really sucks guys, it's actually so strong that it burns your eyes and makes you stink like gas the rest of the day? That crap can't be healthy to breath either. Does anyone ever feel dizzy while driving or like they might pass out or feel sick??

I thought it'd be mostly the outside of the car that'd smell a little like gas, not the inside as well.

Sounds like it's a bad thing overall then other than more power, earlier boost, and less weight.

I mean, they're a pain in the *** to always have to remove for emissions testing, they're obviously bad for the environment, they're loud and attract cops, make the car smell like gas, make you smell like gas, burns your eyes, usually hard to talk with a passenger with them in the car. I don't know how some of you stand driving with them on a daily basis with FI
Old 12-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Juztin

my cabin never reaks of exhaust when driving. It just somehow accumulates on you over time though as you drive around and gun it. If I go WOT everywhere, then my eyes will eventually start to bother me, but overall it's nothing major err in my case anyway.

If I just recirculated it all it'd be smelling exhaust free. But I love the sound of the WG dumps aside from their function. I also run test pipes so it further compounds the cough factor, anybody behind me gets a nice exhaust popourie lol. But it's definately something should consider before doing those type of mods, either you can deal with it or you can't. For me my car is strictly weekend fun so I dont have a problem with it.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:41 PM
PORTUGEE

My porsche 944 turbo was bone stock w 62k and would make my clothes reek after driving it. It smelt more like burnt oil from the turbo than gas. Definately a petroleum but a heavier small than gas.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:18 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever since test pipes I have a gas smell when the windows are down but never in the cabin. Makes me feel like I'm in a race car. I love it.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:39 PM
BobaFettm

if you stay off the gas hard then yah... the car wont smell at all... but who the hell gets 517whp and doesnt get on the gas a lot
Old 12-07-2006, 10:00 PM
AmateuRN

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I keep running into a gas smell probelm on my car in the last week or so.

if I turn my A/C off, the smell goes away. I turn the A/C back on and in comes the smell again. My smell of of raw gas, not post-combustion emissions. The strange thing is that the smell is not always there. It seems like I get it after I have been getting on it.
This describes my car to a T! I have the exact same problem and have NO idea what it is. Mine is so bad you can smell it inside the cabin, outside around the car, everything. When the AC is on recirculate it is worse then when its just outside air. The heater is not as bad, but the smell is still there. I noticed it right after I got my return fuel system. Cannot get it to go away. I thought it may be the fuel hoses cracking [the recall] but its way to strong and my car doesn't even qualify for that recall.

I never thought to ask, but I hope someone figures this out. I take long trips between home and where I live for school [4 hours] and I get major headaches if the windows are up too long....
Old 12-08-2006, 01:06 AM
silver nismo

Originally Posted by 300zxSteve
Dont get rid of it!! Im sure theres a leak somewhere... I dont think you could possibly be smelling anything unelss it was leaking.. Do you have a catch can? If you are smelling raw fuel, you have a fuel leak, if you smell burned fuel/exhaust, you have an exhaust leak, I dont think FI has anything to do with it, ie..the most "smell" you should be getting would be the same as a bone stock car without cats...
Man I'm an FI lol and a big 1 heheheh I have no smell what so ever but my shower jell no matter how long i drive. Dont do it dont do it.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:30 AM
ht4

I have absolutely no smell at all except when I first start the car (before the HF cats heat up).

If it is so big a problem that you are thinking about selling your car, why not get some big 3" metalic HF cats fabbed into your exhaust and see if that helps.

Quick Reply: FI = Smelling like exhaust / gas