Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

IPT Valve Body Upgrade for $499

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007 | 01:18 PM
ma_sha1

Default IPT Valve Body Upgrade for $499

Has anyone worked with this company?

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...uto.shtml#main

They also has a solomoid upgrade for 189.

I wonder if there's a need for both?
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:40 PM
booger

it is the cheapest Ive seen . and Ive heard they do good work . I paid twice that for mine .
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:45 PM
Oleg

Originally Posted by ma_sha1
Has anyone worked with this company?

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...uto.shtml#main

They also has a solomoid upgrade for 189.

I wonder if there's a need for both?
I looked into them a while ago. They built some single digit DSM's w/autos, but I want someone else to be their first Z test subject...
Old 01-19-2007 | 01:50 PM
rcdash

500 + 200 (for solenoid to increase line pressure) = only 100 less than Forged, and that's not specific to the 350 or G.

Probably better to go w/ Forged or SGP...
Old 01-19-2007 | 03:32 PM
ma_sha1

Default -

I beg to differ. SGP & FP both are Tunner, not transmission specilist.

Both send VB out to third party to do the work.

IPT is transmission specilist. The only reason people here go to SGP & Shiarf
for VB is because of other people have spread the words around. That's marketing, not necessary have anything to do with if IPT does better work or not.

I am looking for who's got experence working with IPT.

Check this article written by John, the owner of IPT,
Nobody explained the VB better.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=19955

Last edited by ma_sha1; 01-19-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-22-2007 | 07:58 AM
Ozzie@Hppracing

They are doing it kinda like the level 10 and all others. It's a boost valve in the tranny. It goes along with the use of a spring that helps hold line press. The problem we have found with all the vb companies is that there are a couple different things that have to be done.

What we have notice with all of them is the clutches burn up way to easy. From what we have seen is that the bigger boost valve helps line pressure and shifts for sure. But the boost valve is sucking the pumps dry for a couple seconds at a time. Then you hit the rev limiter etc. There is maching also that has to be done for it to work right. Also the trans pan it very small and that is also hurting the pump. It needs to be cut and welded towards the rear. Also a new pickup is in the making. In the next 3 weeks we should have convertors also they are in the making.

I'm not the tranny guy. My car just has been the one we are testing on.
Old 01-22-2007 | 10:29 AM
ma_sha1

Default -

Are you saying the VB upgrade is hurting the tranny by "sucking tranny fluid dry"

a few second at a time?

What do you mean by "clutches burn up way to easy"? Easier than stock tranny?

Would bigger solonoid help or hurt the "sucking dry" problem?

Last edited by ma_sha1; 01-22-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-22-2007 | 10:37 AM
rcdash

ma_sha1 - good points. In regards to VB upgrade, I wish the services offered by vendors was more "open" so we knew what we were getting as part of the upgrade...
Old 01-22-2007 | 10:46 AM
ma_sha1

Default -

Just spoke to IPT about the theory of "sucking it dry" with VB upgrade.

They don't think it's possible.

Yes the boost valve is getting bigger, applying more pressure,
As I was explained, the Tranny fluid runs on a "closed loop", the fixed
anount of liquid get pushed around. Therefore, you also get the same liquid circulated back immediately, not possible to be "sucked dry" for any amount of time.

It sems to make sense to me.

As for the solonoid, IPT says it's more for High Milage (>100,000 miles) cars with worn solonoid, need to change that. He didn't think my car with <20,000 miles need to do solonoid upgrade.
Old 01-22-2007 | 11:25 AM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by ma_sha1

Check this article written by John, the owner of IPT,
Nobody explained the VB better.
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=19955
That little article was written pretty well and touched on a couple important points. One is Comfort/Performance ratio. A Hi Per Aito should snap ur neck a little when it shifts, Clutchs are Clutchs whether auto or manual. The quicker the lock up the easier it is on them. We arent driving Miss Daisy here.
The other is line pressure. There again, like a standard, more clamping force ( IE: Stronger Pressure Plate )
Im real surprised there has not been more headway in the Auto Mod areas other than the fact that the big money is made in other areas so why fuc with it.

Keep in mind, all u Auto guys out there, the importance of Fluid capacity/temp. Increase any way u can and keep it as cool as possible. ALSO, Change it LOTS!!!!! Fiber from those inadiquite clutchs build up in the system ( Valve Body ) Thats fine, But if ur careless and change fluid well over its time, then because of the Hi Detergents in AT Fluid u "wash" that residue loose and it will mess up ur VB by plugging orifices and causing slider valves to stick
Old 01-22-2007 | 03:20 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Someone needs to try IPT out. There are plenty of VB upgrades on the market, but most of them feel "just about stock". I am not naming names, but when you have one of our VB's, the shifts are firm, sharp, and you definately notice the improvement. I have driven some other company's VB upgrade, and noticed zero improvement over stock.
Old 01-22-2007 | 03:25 PM
booger

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Someone needs to try IPT out. There are plenty of VB upgrades on the market, but most of them feel "just about stock". I am not naming names, but when you have one of our VB's, the shifts are firm, sharp, and you definately notice the improvement. I have driven some other company's VB upgrade, and noticed zero improvement over stock.
I had heard this of other VB's . I can tell you , its night and day difference in the shifts with the SGP VB . I assume F.P. vavlebody is about the same
Old 01-22-2007 | 03:27 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by booger
I had heard this of other VB's . I can tell you , its night and day difference in the shifts with the SGP VB . I assume F.P. vavlebody is about the same
That's correct....the SGP and Forged Perf valve body feel identical...good stuff.
Old 01-22-2007 | 03:40 PM
Eazzy

Thats right --Unless u get that tire chirping snap on shifts then somethings not right with the Mod-Just more burnt clutch packs
Old 01-22-2007 | 08:55 PM
roncfpz

I spoke at length with John Lombardo of IPT and asked several questions about their transmission rebuild process for the Z trans. In particular I asked what upgraded clutch packs they were using in their builds since neither Raybestos nor Alto had released any at this time. He indicated it was neither manufacturer and the information was proprietary. They may have a good reason but that doesn't give me any confidence considering they charge about $4k for the build......I want to know what the heck is going in the trans.

It's pretty discouraging the lack of product development for this trans and it's certainly one reason I'm seriously considering a 6MT swap.
Old 01-23-2007 | 06:47 AM
Oleg

I kind of have my hopes on this Ozzie@hpp guy. So far he is the only shop owner on this board with a 5AT and going for high power (w/APS extreme, no less), so whatever he designs, he'll run.
Old 01-27-2007 | 06:21 AM
ma_sha1

Default -

I would love to go your VB, Sharif, heard some good reviews.

However, review from people usually useless beacues most were compare to
VB they's done over stock, off cause they all see "big improvments" only Gurgen I am aware have tried two VB: SGP vs. Stillen. Bigger solonoid in SGP could explain the improvment over stillen.

I wish you could provide more disclosure to explain what does the shop where yous send the VB to, do to the VB? I know you send it out, that's ok, but do you:

1, First increase linse pressure with springs etc, as Stillen/Level 10, IPT?
2, Then add bigger solonoid on top of line pressure increase, like SGP?
3, What else do yo do to the VB?

I am leaning toward IPT because the price & the detailed articles John wrote about VB. He is a transmission specilist with code name of "Transdude" for years, He is not aware of what else could be done beyond Up the line pressure & getting bigger solonoids. As for the solonoid, he believes it make the actural shift happen faster but is not a huge leap over standard VB upgrade in terms of saving Tranny's life(IPT do offer solonoid upgrade for additional $180, but most usefuil for high milage carrs per John). The basic VB upgrade is the predominnant need if saving tranny is the primary concern.

So, please educate me on what the shop you are using do the VB job differently?

Old 01-27-2007 | 08:24 AM
rookie

I've driven a Stillen VB, Level 10 VB and the Forged/SGP VB. If you want performance the Forged/SGP is the way to go.

The 2-3 Stillen VB owners I know that have seen mine run want to do the Forged. The Level 10 one I drove is happy with his, and doesn't feel he needs the superfast shift the Forged/SGP gives.
Old 01-27-2007 | 06:43 PM
ma_sha1

Default -

I am going to be the Guinea pig for IPT VB.
I have orderd IPT VB & will give feedback after it's done.

I am only looking out for Tranny safety, not super duper fast shift.
My S/C gives out less HP than TT, So I prefer a middle of the road shift
improvment at this point.
Old 01-27-2007 | 07:37 PM
JuanFunction2ND
Sponsor
Function:Tuned

Well I have the FORGED VB and couldn't be happier. The shifts are fast and hard at WOT but its smooth enough when cruising. Bang for your buck FORGED all the way. Also comparing Stillen’s to FORGED it is night and day

Quick Reply: IPT Valve Body Upgrade for $499