Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:44 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*

Well I finally get the car back after 3 long months due to some problems and leaks with my kit. I had the turbo rebuilt by turbonetics and we fixed all the leaks we found. Replaced the oil feed going to the turbo. Anyways I drop the car off to get tuned and just my flipping luck the same problem is happening. After a WOT run on the dyno a cloud of white smoke will poof out of the exhaust as the car idles back down. Under acceleration it runs fine but once you let off the gas its pours out. I have a video that is loading now so I will post it asap. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Outside temp; 81deg

Last edited by solidsnake; 04-25-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:48 PM
solidsnake

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...1b01239e8b.htm
Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 PM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an article regarding white smoke from a Diesel engine, but I imagine the same is true for you. Basically it is incomplete combustion. As the unburned fuel exhaust exits the car, it condenses, appearing as white smoke.

http://www.cummins.com/jp/pages/en/c...B380C4A8F0FC10

White smoke is the result of incomplete combustion and is generally associated with engine start-up at low ambient temperatures. This condition is more predominant on high-horsepower fixed-injection-timing engines because the fuel and combustion systems are optimized for maximum performance and for reliability and durability under high load operating conditions. These engines can have two or three cylinders that misfire or have incomplete combustion when the engine is started at low ambient temperatures. The fuel that is injected into the cylinders that are misfiring is exhausted into the atmosphere as unburned hydrocarbons which cool, condense, and appear as white smoke. As the cylinder temperature and subsequently the coolant temperature rise, the misfiring cylinders begin to sustain combustion which decreases the hydrocarbon level in the exhaust, resulting in less white smoke being produced. Since white smoke is a normal characteristic of high-horsepower heavy-duty diesel engines during start-up at low ambient temperatures, it is extremely important to determine if the level of white smoke is significantly higher than normal for a particular engine model before making any attempt to correct a complaint. This can be accomplished by comparing the level of white smoke from one unit to another which has the same chassis configuration and engine model.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:11 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Usually on a turbo car, white smoke on decel is indicative of a faulty turbo. Could be the turbo itself or perhaps the oil return line is not adaquate. How low are the turbos mounted in relation to the oil level in the pan??
Old 04-25-2007, 02:15 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
Usually on a turbo car, white smoke on decel is indicative of a faulty turbo. Could be the turbo itself or perhaps the oil return line is not adaquate. How low are the turbos mounted in relation to the oil level in the pan??

The turbo just got back from turbonetics. They had to replace the bearings and bushings if im correct. The oil return line is something that needs to be checked. Maybe that is the problem
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your pushing oil past the seals in the turbo.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:23 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by rocks
Your pushing oil past the seals in the turbo.
Well you didnt think twice about that. Have you had or seen this problem. Whats the resolution to this ongoing problem? Remember that im not the mechanic here. Im just the sad owner so Im a newb when it comes to this.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:39 PM
rocks

I have seen this problem before its usually do to the turbo having to much oil in it from the feed line, or the return line is restriced backing up the oil in the turbo. The turbonetics turbo should already have a restrictor in it so it doesnt get to much oil from the feed line. The only other problem is a bad seal.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM
solidsnake

So what would be the best procedure to fix this. I cant see why the turbo seal would have went bad already. I just got it back and it only has 50miles on it since reinstall.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:18 PM
rocks

First of all check the drain line for kinks or restrictions in it. Make sure they oriented properly. Feed line on top and drain line hole should be at the bottom. You could also take your feed line off of the turbo and see if there is a restrictor in it, if not you can put one in it. Does it smoke when you start the car up after its been sitting? If it does that is a sign of oil pooling in the turbo, and not properly draining out of it.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:30 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rocks
I have seen this problem before its usually do to the turbo having to much oil in it from the feed line, or the return line is restriced backing up the oil in the turbo. The turbonetics turbo should already have a restrictor in it so it doesnt get to much oil from the feed line. The only other problem is a bad seal.
You're forgetting the other possibility. It could be a bad or cracked ringland on a piston allowing oil to blow by into the combustion chamber... Perhaps you should get a compression/leakdown or try pulling your oil pan to look for any debris in the oil. Hopefully this is not the case, but you can't count it out as a possibility.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Mike_G

Just a guess ...Head gasket, coolant leaking on the exhaust side will create white smoke ....
Old 04-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Phil do you have any residue on your piping ( intercooler or such ) left over on the pipes or any spacers on the pan. I would also check to see if tap is above the oil level and not under since you did not install the kit.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:45 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by taurran
You're forgetting the other possibility. It could be a bad or cracked ringland on a piston allowing oil to blow by into the combustion chamber... Perhaps you should get a compression/leakdown or try pulling your oil pan to look for any debris in the oil. Hopefully this is not the case, but you can't count it out as a possibility.
It would smoke all the time if that were the case.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:56 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by failsafe306
It would smoke all the time if that were the case.
It looked like it was smoking pretty bad at idle. (I also have no sound)
Old 04-25-2007, 04:06 PM
solidsnake

At start up the car runs fine and under boost(under 3k) there is no smoke. When he put the turbo back on he told me he ran the car and let it idle for a considerable amount of time and no smoke. The smoke only occurs once you let off the gas after a WOT run. We we still a compression and leakdown test just to be sure but I dont think thats the problem. The oil feed is tapped into the block and not the oil pan so I dont think the spacer has anything to do with this problem.

Last edited by solidsnake; 04-25-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Jim@Showstoppers
Banned

Sounds like seals, but dont know why they would go bad so soon. Possible bad misbuild by Turbonetics? It did look like it smoked at idle after the decel...
Old 04-25-2007, 04:21 PM
solidsnake

Here is the video of the car Before we got the turbo rebuilt. As you can see its the same problem. This was 4months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5M7Dg7I1kE

Last edited by solidsnake; 04-25-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:21 PM
rocks

If it had a cracked ringland or piston it would smoke all of the time. If it were the valve guides it would smoke on startup and then stop once the engine warmed up. I betting on a problem with the turbo. Thats my internet diagnostics.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 PM
solidsnake

Quick Reply: White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*