Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Load Based (Dyno Dynamics) vs. Inertia Based (Most DynoJets)

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports

Have you also noticed all of the "monster cars" to come out of your shop trap 116-118 mph WAAAAY lower than any of out stock motor boosted cars. Either your customers cant drive, or something is wrong..Stop dragging me into your little dyno debates..I proved you wrong last time, dont make me do it again and make you look like the fool you really are..

Besides your car and Jason's, what MRC stock block customers have trapped in the 120's? Or even over 115mph? Im curious....
Old 05-03-2007, 12:20 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EDIT:
It's pointless to argue back and forth, Regardless you did a nice job on the car, good luck with your future projects.

-George
GT Motorsports

Last edited by GTM; 05-03-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:56 PM
RBlover69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed that was putting the foot in your own mouth with that statement .
Old 05-03-2007, 04:11 PM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by Devil Z
Kinda uncalled for too, but whatever. I like all the Vendors here and FI guys, good people but they sure like to argue.
i have to agree to disagree on the "uncalled for" portion... truth is truth and should always be known... i'm not calling anyone out by any stretch of the means, but fishy numbers are what give people a sense of being duped and misled... this, in turn, trickles down into all aspects of after-market modifying... who to trust? who not to trust? if they'll fudge hp numbers to gain/keep a client, what will they do if they make a mistake with your car? if people will lie about the small stuff, they'll surely lie about the larger... vendor reputation be damned; the client should always be well informed and should never be on the losing end of a deal...

i liken my car to a girlfriend... i treat her well, spend lots of money on her...and would never allow her to be in the hands of someone i cannot trust...

Last edited by stormcrow; 05-03-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:56 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Alberto
Besides your car and Jason's, what MRC stock block customers have trapped in the 120's? Or even over 115mph? Im curious....
+1 I am curious too!
Old 05-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
+1 I am curious too!
Dude, first time I have seen your 1/4 mile vid...very nice!
11's on the stock block....with just 410 measly whp on my dyno. Good stuff!
Old 05-03-2007, 07:21 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Dude, first time I have seen your 1/4 mile vid...very nice!
11's on the stock block....with just 410 measly whp on my dyno. Good stuff!

Yeah! I cant wait for whats comming!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hehe, want to race my techs slow car.. just a 2 hp less than yours!!

we will all battle soon!!
Old 05-03-2007, 11:16 PM
jon at HKS

If your tuner is tuning on an inertia based dyno then they are not tuning your car. At best they are guessing and hoping for the best. I know; I’ve tuned on DynoJet Dynos. I know I was guessing many times when I tuned on those dynos. That is why I always, always confirmed my tune on the street. A DynoJet only provided me a safe place to accelerate the vehicle to triple digits in an efficient time period.
We have a DynoJet and tune our road and drift cars on it. GUESSING at the tune? I dont have any room to GUESS at a tune, nor can I drive it on the street to "fine tune" it. If you are guessing at a tune, you are not a tuner.
I am not saying a DynoJet is better than a DD. I have been wanting a DD for years, but I would not get rid of our DynoJet either. A tuner can tune on almost any type of dyno. Some just make low speed mapping easier and faster, which I am all for.
The start of this thread to me implies inertia dynos suck, and people who use them are not real tuners. IMO, people who start these kind of threads are just ignorant.

Last edited by jon at HKS; 05-03-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:01 AM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Originally Posted by jon at HKS
We have a DynoJet and tune our road and drift cars on it. GUESSING at the tune? I dont have any room to GUESS at a tune, nor can I drive it on the street to "fine tune" it. If you are guessing at a tune, you are not a tuner.
I am not saying a DynoJet is better than a DD. I have been wanting a DD for years, but I would not get rid of our DynoJet either. A tuner can tune on almost any type of dyno. Some just make low speed mapping easier and faster, which I am all for.
The start of this thread to me implies inertia dynos suck, and people who use them are not real tuners. IMO, people who start these kind of threads are just ignorant.
+ 1000

SAM

GT MOTORSPORTS

Last edited by Sam@GTM; 05-04-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:14 AM
andypandy

HKS ftw!

time to slap on a powered by HKS sticker!
Old 05-04-2007, 04:29 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

+1000

Jon is the HKS F-Con Tuning PRO at HKS USA.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:29 AM
Slick 6MT

Someone just got ...... uhh .......
Old 05-04-2007, 05:16 AM
RBlover69

HKS HAS SPOKEN THAT IS THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE..........wow no response must have understood i guess.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:39 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

WOW - Jon comments on this thread... How about some tech info on the FCON V-PRO threads too...
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 AM
TENGAI

Now we have performance shops AND manufacturers in the mix... Wow.

I think it's safe to say that everyone agrees that load based dyno tuning is the preferred method, but that in NO WAY does tuning on an inertia based dyno mean that you can't dial in the tune correctly given that the tuner knows what they're doing.

Overall, and all arguements aside, very informative thread.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:38 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

So let me get this right.

Everyone agrees that a load based dyno is a better tuning tool?

Its a yes or no question. The answer obviously being yes.

So I've become quite confused. Jon, Sam, or Jeremy could you please tell me WHY you would like to have a load based dyno?
Old 05-04-2007, 06:42 AM
Slick 6MT

You're not getting it. I'm pretty sure they aren't disputing that fact.

From what I gather they're saying that you made some false statements in your original post. For example, the guessing on a dynojet.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND

So I've become quite confused. Jon, Sam, or Jeremy could you please tell me WHY you would like to have a load based dyno?
A load based Dyno makes tuning low rpm load points easy..I can hold the car at 10% load at 2000-2500-3000-or whatever my hear chooses to do so, and make the needed adjustments..
Old 05-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Load base dynos also speed up the tuning process - for a business owner, time is money....

I know several experienced tuners that specialize in certain vehicle platforms, and they can create a base map based solely on the vehicle mods and get close to 80% there with out any dyno or road tuning... As mention several times on this thread, experience is key - but the knowledge of learning what, why, and how is the foundation that every tuner must have.

Reading books, attending classes, get certified and finally getting some experience under you belt are the makings of a great tuner!

Quick Reply: Load Based (Dyno Dynamics) vs. Inertia Based (Most DynoJets)