Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Load Based (Dyno Dynamics) vs. Inertia Based (Most DynoJets)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:26 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trav4011
It doesn't matter if it's 2 years, or 20 years.. Maybe the guy that has been tuning for 20 years, has been doing it wrong for 20 years.. while the guy who has been tuning for 2 years, has learned the safe/proper way. Not saying that Sam is doing it wrong.. I'm just saying that years of experience doesn't really matter. You either know how to tune, or you don't..
+1

If the tuner has been educated and has some experience it doesn't really matter - both will be able to provide a safe, balanced tune... Granted, a tuner that has more experience with a specific platform maybe able to pull a bit more HP out of the car, I'll agree to that point.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have three years of proffessional experiance tuning. I have taken the less difficult path of self-educating myself through books, classes, forums, and other documented reliable sources as well as testing of my own theories to push the limits.

Last edited by DaveFunction2ND; 05-02-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Trav4011

So, how do you road tune a 5-600whp car under 100mph? You can't.. unless you're driving around on slicks.

People are quick to jump on others for street racing.. but, it's ok to bring a 5-600whp car out on the street and try to tune it? Sure, I'll agree that tuning driveability isn't as dangerous, but I still would rather have a dyno.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:07 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think road tuning should be thought of more like a final tweaking phase to double check things work as they should

you can never simulate real world airflow with fans on a dyno

it'd just be stupid to take a completely untuned car and go out street tuning from scratch with it, not knowing when you'll have to immediately let off the throttle, or what if something breaks and causes an accident that might have been otherwise prevented if it was already pretuned on a dyno in a controlled environment. Putting heavy load on an otherwise untuned car is just asking for trouble
Old 05-02-2007, 02:09 PM
IslandZavage

do all shops road tune aswell as dyno tune?
Old 05-02-2007, 02:09 PM
sentry65
the burninator

nope, not at all. I'd say most don't
In that case, I'd trust a load dyno tune a lot more
Old 05-02-2007, 02:21 PM
booger

Here we go again...Sentry arguing with some one till he is blue in the face...let it go Sentry !

Last edited by booger; 05-02-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowell
No head lift, no knock, Dave will have to give the details.

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
With the correct timing I was able to tune to this level with ZERO knock. This is using stock TurboXS Knock Paramaters. I was worried we had not installed the knock sensor due to the lack of knock until finally at 18PSI I got a knock count of 03 at 6340.
So first you say you did not install a knock sensor, and now you say that you did and used headphones? I hope your tunning is more consistent than you are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc350z
Dave,, could you please explain to me why when you worked at AAM and saw my car tuned (several times) on there DJ (by mike) where a street tune was not conducted you did not advise me to the fact that you believed street tuning was a absolute must. Thanks John C.

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
No problem. It was completely out of my control. Mike is the ONLY tuner at AAM. He will not allow ANYONE else to tune. I learned through reading, and testing my own cars. Mike does not feel confident street tuning and this is one of the many many reasons I left there. He will not show anyone what he does and he will not tune a car properly. That is why his cars blow up at even low HP levels.
So now you are bad mouthing your previous employer on a public forum, that does not look very professional since you are trying to act and behave in a professional way here. Besides how good AAM is or isn't its not right for you to bash them on this forum since they are a vendor and so are you, the same way you come here and say if someone is tuning on a inertia based dyno they are not tuning but guessing.

So let me get this straight, If you NEVER tuned at AAM all the time you worked there were does the expierance come from, You just open up a shop and now you know more than everyone else?

Originally Posted by gmna2004

I have a questions for all the shops that tune on a DJ. If you were buying a new dyno today and money was not an issue which dyno would you buy?

In 2000 we bought our DynoJet dyno. It was one of three in the state of California. We are in the progress of adding a dyno dynamics dyno and also an engine dyno. So if money was no object I would have all of the above. They are all great tools.

Originally Posted by Philthy
Is there even a question that a load base isn't superior to an inertia dyno? We need to embrace technology...
And that is why we will have the best of both worlds inertia based, loaded based, and engine dyno

Now, I would NEVER come on to another vendors post and comment regardless of whether I agree or disagree out of respect. For the record your comment on your other post is way wrong as far as factory head bolts and head lift, you made the mistake of knocking other vendors in order to make yourself look better, or superior. By the way you have a long road ahead of you in tuning and successfully running a business.

Sam

GT Motorsports
Old 05-02-2007, 02:41 PM
hide187

Wow, whats gonna happen next.
Old 05-02-2007, 02:55 PM
andypandy

how much do these dynos cost anyway?

i agree with sharif though... tools can only do so much. products are handled with care by the hands of tuners.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:02 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Our AWD Mustang was around 70k

As mentioned before a good tuner can do it on either dyno, it is preferable for the tuner that it is a load based dyno to minimize road tuning, I know that Roger prefers the load based Mustang after having tuned on a dynojet before getting the mustang.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Devil Z

Isn't a Dyno just a tuning tool? Isn't the tuner supposed to use computers, software, sensors, etc? Measure this and that, and make sure everything is as perfect as possible?

So wouldn't it matter not what tool they were using as long as the tuner has really good experience and is knowledgeable in what they do? I mean I'm sure they can dyno tune, road tune, tune on inertia and load-based . . . but at the end of the day isn't it down to the tuner and not the Dyno?
Old 05-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Sean

Originally Posted by andypandy
how much do these dynos cost anyway?

i agree with sharif though... tools can only do so much. products are handled with care by the hands of tuners.

50k and up
Old 05-02-2007, 03:16 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by Devil Z
Isn't a Dyno just a tuning tool? Isn't the tuner supposed to use computers, software, sensors, etc? Measure this and that, and make sure everything is as perfect as possible?

So wouldn't it matter not what tool they were using as long as the tuner has really good experience and is knowledgeable in what they do? I mean I'm sure they can dyno tune, road tune, tune on inertia and load-based . . . but at the end of the day isn't it down to the tuner and not the Dyno?
Yes but the discussion here is which is best to get you accurate readings and operation of the car as you will see in the street. Would you rather dig a whole with a broom or a shovel? Crude comparison but you get the idea that the tool does matter.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by westpak
Yes but the discussion here is which is best to get you accurate readings and operation of the car as you will see in the street. Would you rather dig a whole with a broom or a shovel? Crude comparison but you get the idea that the tool does matter.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:21 PM
RBlover69

The crazy thing here is that if you are a vendor as everyone else on here. And then state that your tool or method is better then etc. I mean you just have to use common sense to see that your gonna bring attention to yourself and comments and views. We all say good tuner etc. But one who also respects ones art or method is just as valuable as one who uses another method of tuning. Its preety easy to weed out whos capable and whos not in the tuning world from reputation alone and merit. These boards are a show case of that . Thats why the big names remain big names and people are driven to the quality of there work and prowess. But the direction of this thread was definetly aimed . And I dont understand why because its obvious that cars from our current vendors have been rather highly sucessfull in tuning already. Granted technology advances but that doesnt mean jump ship to that new tech if what your working is highly sucessfull already. The best way to mentally be satisfied is to just have all damn forms of dynos and that really is the only way i see to get a unbiased result. But from seeing what already works i see no point in knocking what isnt broken and is already a good standard and medium.

End of rant. Great views on here. And damn GTM someone has $$$ . As for me when i ever get passed my issues with my stock motor i feel perfectly fine getting tuned at a dynojet by a exprienced tuner. Its a art/science. Sometimes the artist makes his work a masterpeice without the lastest in digital paint photo analysis equipment and photoshop. Sometimes a canvas (platform ) paint and a brush will do just fine. ...good luck.
The tuners are the key. You can have the best money can buy and still blow up. The years and reputation and quality of work is what i use to define a tuner. Not the stretch to be convinced that there machine is better then the current industry standard and except that to believe that my car is in safe hands. I mean ....thats just......yea.. Good views here though.

Last edited by RBlover69; 05-02-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:23 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
Quote:
And that is why we will have the best of both worlds inertia based, loaded based, and engine dyno
Sam

GT Motorsports
NICE!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM
andypandy

damn... those dynos are quite expensive.

i wanted one in my backyard. :T
Old 05-02-2007, 03:48 PM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowell
No head lift, no knock, Dave will have to give the details.

So first you say you did not install a knock sensor, and now you say that you did and used headphones? I hope your tunning is more consistent than you are...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc350z
Dave,, could you please explain to me why when you worked at AAM and saw my car tuned (several times) on there DJ (by mike) where a street tune was not conducted you did not advise me to the fact that you believed street tuning was a absolute must. Thanks John C.

So now you are bad mouthing your previous employer on a public forum, that does not look very professional since you are trying to act and behave in a professional way here. Besides how good AAM is or isn't its not right for you to bash them on this forum since they are a vendor and so are you, the same way you come here and say if someone is tuning on a inertia based dyno they are not tuning but guessing.

So let me get this straight, If you NEVER tuned at AAM all the time you worked there were does the expierance come from, You just open up a shop and now you know more than everyone else?

Originally Posted by gmna2004

I have a questions for all the shops that tune on a DJ. If you were buying a new dyno today and money was not an issue which dyno would you buy?

In 2000 we bought our DynoJet dyno. It was one of three in the state of California. We are in the progress of adding a dyno dynamics dyno and also an engine dyno. So if money was no object I would have all of the above. They are all great tools.

Now, I would NEVER come on to another vendors post and comment regardless of whether I agree or disagree out of respect. For the record your comment on your other post is way wrong as far as factory head bolts and head lift, you made the mistake of knocking other vendors in order to make yourself look better, or superior. By the way you have a long road ahead of you in tuning and successfully running a business.

Sam

GT Motorsports
I said I was WORRIED we had not installed the STOCK knock sensor since as you know that is the sensor that the UTEC uses and I was seeing ZERO knock through the UTEC and obviously none through the head phones. You of all people should know that the electronic knock detection systems are notorious for picking up just random engine noise. That is what I was looking for to confirm the stock knock sensor was functioning. The UTEC Tuner Pro FYI uses a standalone Bosch Knock Sensor that we installed next to the stock knock sensor in the valley of the V.

I never said I had more experiance then everyone else. I never tuned customers cars at AAM. I've been around cars my entire adult life. I've tuned many many friends cars and my own 1987 BMW 635CSi with an Electromotive TEC3 Standalone.

So you to are jumping on the band wagon. A load based dyno IS a better tuning tool? This is all I was saying from the very beginning. Are you disputing that? I would have to assume not since you're spending the money to get the better dyno.

I'm not bashing my former employer I am mearly stating the facts. A statement of fact is much more professional in my opinion. Being honest with my customers and giving them the best customer service is the professional way to do things. I did the best I could at AAM to change the way they did business. Many here can attest to that. My best attempts failed and it was time for me to move on.

What other vendors did I knock concerning head bolts. I only shared my experiance. The facts of the situation. You saying "For the record your comment on your other post is way wrong as far as factory head bolts and head lift, you made the mistake of knocking other vendors in order to make yourself look better, or superior." is only a disservice to the Z community. That was never my intention and you know it. It is my opinion that you felt slighted by my comment so you assumed I was speaking out of superiority. When in fact I was only telling the person what I thought. A resonable thing to do. Are you just trying to protect the position you have built up? I mean what gives? Is this just an attempt to steam roll the small guy? Seems like it....hmmm...professional is all relative isn't it.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:53 PM
RBlover69

this is def a vendor thread . So godspeed and swiss cheese. .........

.(at the sidelines watching )

i know some vendors on here are gonna form voltron so im just waiting for the blazing sword man. All im saying.

Last edited by RBlover69; 05-02-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Load Based (Dyno Dynamics) vs. Inertia Based (Most DynoJets)