Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 AM
BEBO'S ZEE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the3kgt2
You can either pick them up at a site like siliconeintakes.com or search eBay for some quality couplers. There are various quality levels of silicone couplers on eBay so choose wisely. Do a search for "vibrant coupler" on eBay...I ordered a few of those and they're top quality.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1073_1141_1168
I was looking at those already, just wanted to see what else is out there

Originally Posted by binder
Silicone intakes has some nice quality for a great price. Vibrant are nice as well but a little more expensive.

While you are at it get some t-bolt clamps.
exactly what I was thinking

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM
evilscorp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you order different colour couplers from vortech when placing an order?
Tried asking but I guess everyone is at Sema
Old 11-01-2012, 02:44 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by evilscorp
Can you order different colour couplers from vortech when placing an order?
Tried asking but I guess everyone is at Sema
NO..........
Old 11-02-2012, 03:10 PM
evilscorp

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
NO..........
Thanks
Old 11-07-2012, 03:15 AM
alexml

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do I know if the k constant is correct?
how can i test it?
what hapens if it isnt correct?

Sorry not this thread ...
but if anyone knows ...

Last edited by alexml; 11-07-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:26 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

still don't know why this thread hasn't been stickied yet....
Old 11-19-2012, 05:55 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

So I had my Vortech installed but there seems to be an issue. The cast pipe that goes between the intercooler pipe and the MAF pipe is off by about an inch. It sits much further back than it looks in the Vortech manual. Any one else have this issue?
Vortechs pic:
You can see the pipe sits right where the AC line is and the bracket for the hard line on the AC
Name:  9B3B3344-A331-41F8-88F8-B4A2CD546180-333-0000003926B2FAB8.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  199.1 KB
In this picture the AC line on the left looks like its been bent straight up
Name:  4C544298-905C-4683-B063-CC3587FCC3DF-333-000000392140AD73.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  171.5 KB
As you can see, my pipe doesn't sit anywhere near the metal end of the AC line.
The AC line is also a little squished inbeteen the pipe and another metal pipe, I think it's for the heater core...could this mess up that AC line?
Name:  06DBD4B3-0211-43D3-92F6-049534E263BE-333-00000036AFFAF7C6.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  199.6 KB
This picture is from underneath the blower. You can see that the cast pipe is not even close to the hard line bracket(as it is pictured in Vortechs guid)
Name:  4B65AD0D-B6C3-4832-AB21-F1E136E94956-333-000000369EE49EE4.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  242.5 KB
Shop said they struggled with that cast pipe and that was the only way they could get it to fit. They have done this install before on other Z's, but didn't have this issue in the past and that it may be a defective/wrong pipe. So anyone have this problem before?

Sorry of the spelling/grammar errors. I'm typing this on my phone

Last edited by BEBO'S ZEE; 11-20-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 AM
TunerMax

very very difficult to tell from those pics, take some more pics.

But if I'm guessing, it could be upside-down.

Normally they're a total pita to install, but once you bend the a/c line out of the way they JUST fit properly as long as it's not installed upside down.

The ends are different. One has a long 'leg' after the bend approx 8", the other end has a short 'leg' after the bend whcih is maybe 4".

I'm pretty sure the long 'leg' goes to the top.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya, we need more pics but it should fit just nicely once installed. A pita to get in there but it's ok once in place. That doesn't look right. I think someone pushed the pipes too far into the couplers from the maf up to the TB.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:10 AM
BEBO'S ZEE

Binder, pipe looks far back because I told them that I wanted to replace the vortech MAF pipe with a one piece they would make.
mock up

now done
Name:  9993CC0A-702F-4E4B-A947-47387B1C4CF3-983-00000143DC80173D.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  299.6 KB

Kit has already been installed and tuned, runs fine! I picked up the car and all was good. I noticed on the way back home that my AC wouldn't blow cold. After looking around, it turns out one of the lower AC lines that goes right by the cast pipe was cut by the AC pulley(hence no cold air).
See the AC line between the pipe and pulley?
Name:  151FA136-8641-453E-82E5-AE44BFB10F81-983-00000145E4001FFF.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  230.3 KB
Thats when I also noticed they cut a small section out of the sway bar bracket, shop said they had to because thats the only way the pipe would fit, even after trying to put it in different ways(right side up/up side down). As you can see in the other picture, now that pipe they made it pinching another AC line in between the pipe and heater core pipe(thats what I think it is). The pipe that goes to the intercooler is now also sitting off, not directly in to the intercooler. It sounds to me like this one cast pipe has thrown everything else off
Maybe I got the wrong cast pipe from Vortech

Im thinking of doing one of two things;
1. remove all 3 pipes (intercooler pipe, cast, MAF pipe) and have them all remade.(going to cost more $$)
2. See if Vortech can send a replacement pipe since this one doesn't fit (hope they are nice and dont charge me since I purchased the kit new)
Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 AM
TunerMax

If it were me, paying a shop to do it, I'd be a little ticked, and would expect them to fix it. If the part was wrong, they shouldn't have installed it unless you gave the go-ahead.

The rubbing A/C line is due to poor install, if I'd have blindly installed mine, I'd have the same thing. It's common to have to work with the line to get it safely out of harms way. Clearly they just missed it.

Hope you can get it all cleared up. I'd be having them at the minimum re-do some of the routing, etc of those lines before you hvae some more issues.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That distance is way messed up. They removed the black maf tube and just welded the pieces that are too short together. That intake tube coming from the throttle body looks about 8" too short. It should extend to the front of the car quite a ways before it bends down towards the ground.

They need to make a new pipe since they screwed it up. On top of that, it specifically says to watch the clearance on the a/c line in the instructions. I used industrial zip ties to make sure the a/c line wouldn't accidentally hit that pulley. It's very close but it shouldn't just swing into it since the line is pretty thick. I haven't had any issues with it on any of the cars I installed a vortech.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:51 AM
BEBO'S ZEE

Originally Posted by TunerMax
If it were me, paying a shop to do it, I'd be a little ticked, and would expect them to fix it. If the part was wrong, they shouldn't have installed it unless you gave the go-ahead.

The rubbing A/C line is due to poor install, if I'd have blindly installed mine, I'd have the same thing. It's common to have to work with the line to get it safely out of harms way. Clearly they just missed it.

Hope you can get it all cleared up. I'd be having them at the minimum re-do some of the routing, etc of those lines before you hvae some more issues.
I was really worried at first because I thought they had cut something structural from the car. After they told me it was just the bracket I was a bit at ease since that could just be replaced. However, I was a bit disappointed that they didnt inform me about the fitment issues before they started cutting. I would have liked a call asking if they should make it work or what other option I might have had.

Originally Posted by binder
That distance is way messed up. They removed the black maf tube and just welded the pieces that are too short together. That intake tube coming from the throttle body looks about 8" too short. It should extend to the front of the car quite a ways before it bends down towards the ground.

They need to make a new pipe since they screwed it up. On top of that, it specifically says to watch the clearance on the a/c line in the instructions. I used industrial zip ties to make sure the a/c line wouldn't accidentally hit that pulley. It's very close but it shouldn't just swing into it since the line is pretty thick. I haven't had any issues with it on any of the cars I installed a vortech.
I dont think they reused the piping straight from vortech since I was given some pipes as "left overs." I noticed the pipe looked shorter than others Ive seen made, but didnt think much of it.
Would it be hard to get to that cast pipe with the blower in the car?

Im starting to get flashes of "the ruined Z" thread. I hope its not THAT bad...

Last edited by BEBO'S ZEE; 11-27-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 AM
TunerMax

Binder hit it for sure. the Maf pipe needs to be fairly precise.

Same goes for the Cast piece. It only fits properly ONE WAY. I didn't even think it was possible for it to fit the wrong way, I know, I tried, lol.

If they got it in there incorrectly they must have 'made it fit', and cobbled it all together. You will need the proper upper MAF tube to correct this, no matter what you do you need to extend the MAF tube.

One cheap option (though not cosmetically pleasing perhaps) would be to cut the pipe and install a coupler, that'd give you a few inches. If you need more than a few inches (you might) then you're better off getting the Proper pipe.

As for the Removal of the Cast piece/Blower, I don't know about the Z so can't comment there, but on the G you can access it from the fenderwell.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

Cast pipe has some numbers imprinted on it. They are facing the top toward the MAF pipe.
Should these be facing toward the bottom intercooler pipe and not the top?
Name:  5ACFE409-6652-4DAD-A064-0BD8450619B7-1708-00000177F96315B8.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  270.0 KB

Last edited by BEBO'S ZEE; 11-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:42 PM
BEBO'S ZEE

Originally Posted by TunerMax
Binder hit it for sure. the Maf pipe needs to be fairly precise.

Same goes for the Cast piece. It only fits properly ONE WAY. I didn't even think it was possible for it to fit the wrong way, I know, I tried, lol.

If they got it in there incorrectly they must have 'made it fit', and cobbled it all together. You will need the proper upper MAF tube to correct this, no matter what you do you need to extend the MAF tube.

One cheap option (though not cosmetically pleasing perhaps) would be to cut the pipe and install a coupler, that'd give you a few inches. If you need more than a few inches (you might) then you're better off getting the Proper pipe.

As for the Removal of the Cast piece/Blower, I don't know about the Z so can't comment there, but on the G you can access it from the fenderwell.
"Made it fit" is what I think has caused these other issues

Just looking at the pipe, cutting it wouldnt work. With the way its angled, it wont fit.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:16 AM
jmicaelk

Hi guys, and thanks OP for all the great info in here. I am done through page 61 and I think if I didn't find it yet I won't find it so I better ask. Might be answered already and I am just too slow right now, as I am sick and trying to read from my bed.

Well here it goes, I have a customer that wants to buy a supercharger, he is on stock block and 5AT and only wants 70 hp or so, he wanted turbo first but I told him supercharger is better for his needs. So my question is, if he gets the tuner kit and with the low horse powers he is looking for, does he need anything else than a Uprev ?? Stock injectors and pump should be able to handle it, but how about the fuel pressure ?? He has some after market exhaust on right now, but nothing else. If he just bolts it on what power might he see on 95 fuel. We are in Bangkok, so pretty hot weather.

Any advice you guys have would be helpful. Me myself is thinking about a built 5AT from GTM for my built long block, I was thinking TT all the way, but now with all this info and the GTM's DE kit with Rotrex, SC looks more and more appealing to me, at least until I get my 4.2 liter long block done

Thanks again and happy Thanksgiving over there, and happy shopping
Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 PM
jmicaelk

Well finally done with all posts, still didn't find the answer I was looking for, so any help would be great. Can I just bolt the tuner kit on and drive with an Uprev, or do I need something for the fuel as well.
I guess I better start from page 1 again and see if I missed it all
Old 11-25-2012, 12:08 AM
unvmyg35

Originally Posted by jmicaelk
Hi guys, and thanks OP for all the great info in here. I am done through page 61 and I think if I didn't find it yet I won't find it so I better ask. Might be answered already and I am just too slow right now, as I am sick and trying to read from my bed.

Well here it goes, I have a customer that wants to buy a supercharger, he is on stock block and 5AT and only wants 70 hp or so, he wanted turbo first but I told him supercharger is better for his needs. So my question is, if he gets the tuner kit and with the low horse powers he is looking for, does he need anything else than a Uprev ?? Stock injectors and pump should be able to handle it, but how about the fuel pressure ?? He has some after market exhaust on right now, but nothing else. If he just bolts it on what power might he see on 95 fuel. We are in Bangkok, so pretty hot weather.

Any advice you guys have would be helpful. Me myself is thinking about a built 5AT from GTM for my built long block, I was thinking TT all the way, but now with all this info and the GTM's DE kit with Rotrex, SC looks more and more appealing to me, at least until I get my 4.2 liter long block done

Thanks again and happy Thanksgiving over there, and happy shopping
If your customer is only looking for 70hp or so. Just go with the complete kit from Vortech. No need for uprev becuase you have the piggyback that comes with the CK. You will just need to dyno/street tune.

If you go with the tuner kit you will need minimum of a 255lph fuel pump, uprev tune and possibly larger injectors +440cc and your customer will have the option for more power down the road. Might see around +/-350whp on a dynojet.

i think with an auto you have to install a trasngo shift kit too from what I have read.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by unvmyg35; 11-25-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:11 AM
jmicaelk

Originally Posted by unvmyg35
If your customer is only looking for 70hp or so. Just go with the complete kit from Vortech. No need for uprev becuase you have the piggyback that comes with the CK. You will just need to dyno/street tune.

If you go with the tuner kit you will need fuel pump, uprev tune and possibly larger injectors +440cc and have the option for more power down the road.

i think with an auto you have to install a trasngo shift kit too from what I have read.

Hope this helps.
Thanks but I am actually in Bangkok now, I better change my location haha. Can he do with just tuner kit and Uprev, or does he need anything for fuel pressure ??

Regards Micael

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions