Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 AM
SkyZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Vortech V3 Completed kits and have both side brackets supports of the cooler, my Zspeed undertray still fit but tight, I left the side with Bypass valve alone, but work fine.
You can also DIY paint the chargecooler in black, I paint a lot of my stuff in engine bay blue, pretty easy and fun.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 AM
evilscorp

Originally Posted by SkyZ33
I have the Vortech V3 Completed kits and have both side brackets supports of the cooler, my Zspeed undertray still fit but tight, I left the side with Bypass valve alone, but work fine.
You can also DIY paint the chargecooler in black, I paint a lot of my stuff in engine bay blue, pretty easy and fun.
Thanks, when you say you have both side brackets, does this mean they redesigned the chargecooler? The pictures I have seen show it is held on one side with a large bracket but for installation two small metal strips hold the bottom of it?
Glad you say the zspeed will still fit
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 AM
SkyZ33

I will try to take a picture if I can, both side of the cooler is held by two small metal strip on the bottom of it that secure to the radiator, it don't look safe but once I the metal strips is tide down, it is pretty secure, dosen't shake at all.
There are two bolt in the middle of Zspeed that suppose to bolt on to the same spot where the two metal strip are, which it won't happen because of the bypass valve on the right side. So I just left them alone and bolt it down all around, works fine and secure.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:40 AM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ those are the two temporary brackets.

@ evilscorp - the upper part of the driver side of the stock vortech intercooler has a hard point where you can mount a bracket (similar to the passenger side, but not pre-drilled). you can fab up your own bracket with L-brackets from home depot...attach it to the core support or the bumper support.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:46 AM
TunerMax

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evilscorp
Anyone know if Vortech will supply the chargecooler in black? About to order the tuner kit but would prefer a black one and do many of you guys leave the two installation brackets attached to the chargercooler to give it more support on the bottom? Just looks a bit weak with only one side supported, but may have issue with my Zspeed undertray fouling if I leave the install brackets on for support.
Paint it.

And as mentioned, Make your own bracket for the left side. It's silly that they don't include it.

the bracket you can make pretty easy. I actually used the bracket that you need to remove by your Oil Fill (when installing the front SC plate). Just bent it a bit and drilled new holes, worked great. Pics to come.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:44 PM
SkyZ33

Originally Posted by - bigc -
^ those are the two temporary brackets.

@ evilscorp - the upper part of the driver side of the stock vortech intercooler has a hard point where you can mount a bracket (similar to the passenger side, but not pre-drilled). you can fab up your own bracket with L-brackets from home depot...attach it to the core support or the bumper support.
Those are just for temporary brackets?
So I need to buy or made a different brackets? ****, I feel unsafe to drive around now
Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 PM
evilscorp

Pictures will be good, thanks.

A bit worried about the zspeed now as it is cable tied to the front ings bumper due to the holes not lining up and is not bolted to the wheel arch liners as the plastic holes have been ripped so the only thing that holds it to the car are the cable ties for the front bumper, radiator bottom bracket 2screws that holds both pieces, the rear part is screwed into the chassis. Which part interferes with the bypass valve?

Making another side bracket sounds like a good idea and shouldnt be too hard if the chargecooler already has a hard point which can be used to attach to.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 PM
TunerMax

Those are just for temporary brackets?
So I need to buy or made a different brackets? ****, I feel unsafe to drive around now
Yes, they are. How did you attatch them? Hope you didn't put self tappers into the Intercooler

Here's the pic of the bracket I made. This is the one that holds some wiring up by the Oil Fill, it comes off during the front plate install. Sorry I don't have many pictures of the process of 'making it work', just the installed pic.

Name:  IMG_8471.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  112.4 KB

Ideally you should have 2 bolts utilized on the Bumper Brace, I only used one. It's very secure, and miles better than Vortech's plan to only install 1 bracket

I still don't understand why they didn't just include 2 of these style mounts, stupid.
Here's the Passenger Vortech Mount for reference.

Name:  IMG_8481.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  74.2 KB
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
TunerMax

Edit.

Last edited by TunerMax; 10-17-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:33 AM
SkyZ33

I'm gonna look at it tomorow and take pictures......
I think my cooler is just sitting on the bottom 2 metal strips....
Wonder if I need to take off my front bumper to do this?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:40 AM
TunerMax

I would take it off, its a 15 minute job tops if you've never done it before. Well worth just getting it out of the way imo
Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TunerMax

I still don't understand why they didn't just include 2 of these style mounts, stupid.
Because it isn't needed. The intercooler piping will hold that cooler without any brackets at all. I've done a few different vortech setups on friends' cars as well as having one for over a year on my car and didn't have a single issue with only 1 bracket in place.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Staisman

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by binder
Because it isn't needed. The intercooler piping will hold that cooler without any brackets at all. I've done a few different vortech setups on friends' cars as well as having one for over a year on my car and didn't have a single issue with only 1 bracket in place.
Same here, I have only one bracket and piping holding it on other side with no problems.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 AM
TunerMax

Originally Posted by binder
True, it is half-way secure with only one mount, but that's half-a$$ any way you cut it. Piping and couplers should not support an Intercooler assembly, it should have it's own supports.

Just my Opinion, one mount is doing half the job, they clearly cut costs here. But you're absolutely right, I'm sure it's 'ok' without the other side supported, I just wasn't personally satisfied with it.

Just my take on it, no offense or ill-will toward anyone running one mount.

Last edited by TunerMax; 10-18-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:35 AM
TunerMax

Anyone who is curious, in case it hasn't been covered:

You can remove the Blower without removing the front plate. Simply remove most of the left inner wheel well plastic and slide it out.
Just thought I'd toss it out there in case it hadn't been covered, I didn't think it would come out at first.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:08 AM
SkyZ33

Just a noob question, how you guys clean the air filter? did I need to take out the whole blower? need to replace it or just clean it and re-oil it? Thanks =)
Old 10-19-2012, 05:30 AM
binder

Just a noob question, how you guys clean the air filter? did I need to take out the whole blower? need to replace it or just clean it and re-oil it? Thanks =)
You can get the filter off if you smash it a little and squeeze it out. It is harder on a 350z than g35. g35 It drops right down in the fender and comes out easy. If you don't squish the filter a little then you have to remove the blower to change the filter.

Tunermax, with a vortech system being as cheap as it is cost effective is part of the game. If they made the system more expensive and complex people would never buy it. I've never had an issue with stability on those kits with just 1 bracket so if it doesn't affect or compromised function then it's not really 'half assed'. Half assed would mean to me that something is compromised and it wouldn't be effective or cause it to fail early.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:03 AM
TunerMax

^ True.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:06 AM
binder

now that i'm reading it I want to make the statement that I'm not trying to argue with you (although it appears like that) but just point out that it is sufficient for proper function and cost effective. Cost effective drives consumers.

That being said, there will probably be 10 threads that will soon pop up with people asking about the safety of vortech only having 1 intercooler bracket based on the idiots that troll these forums nowadays. lol
Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 AM
Calinismo350z

it is way too complicated on a 350z, you are really gonna damage the filter if you don't take the blower off.. good thing for me is way easier now..!!! =)

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions