Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Vash350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by - bigc -
^ i think he answered your original question already. wider should provide more cooling, but there is a point where the additional width decreases flow. as to why the 28" one exists when its rated at slightly lower power, my guess is it just comes down to demand. some folks want a wider intercooler for aesthetic reasons, the 28" one may work better in some applications, etc. etc. etc.
Thanks, exactly what I was thinking. I think I may call them and report back what they tell me.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:07 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vash350Z
Look again, it is the 4 inches WIDER than the one that is good for 550whp, and equal in all other dimensions.
that's exactly what i said.

wider=longer path for air to travel=more resisitance=less flow.

it's simple physics.

The longer your path traveled will increase resistance. So say the 24" wide will have a 1psi pressure drop the 28" wide will have a 1.2psi pressure drop due to increased resistance. A drop in pressure decreases flow, therefore it will only flow for 500 hp, not 550hp.

neither of which will matter because you'll never get an sc trim over that. Both flow more than the stock cooler and i pushed it to 507 dj. So you won't have an issue.

so in recap, if you ONLY change the width the flow will decrease. It has nothing to do with cooling the charge. It has to do with the resistance on the air effecting the flow. Less flow means less hp output.

They put "xxx HP rating" because the laymen doesn't understand flow. If you look at CFM you'll see a decrease in cfm on the wider one. To bring it back up to 550hp you would have to either make it thicker or taller to increase cross sectional area that air flows through.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:10 PM
binder

^ i think he answered your original question already. wider should provide more cooling, but there is a point where the additional width decreases flow.
exactly correct

as to why the 28" one exists when its rated at slightly lower power, my guess is it just comes down to demand. some folks want a wider intercooler for aesthetic reasons, the 28" one may work better in some applications, etc. etc. etc.
not really correct. It comes down to a person that has 450hp. He wants to reduce intake temps. His power is 450 so either an intercooler ratedf or 500hp or 550hp will both work. The wider one will provide MORE cooling because it has higher surface area on teh face of the cooler than the narrower one. It won't affect his performance because it still flows enough for his power level but it will cool better.

THAT is why. Now if he needed more "flow" he could use the more narrow one but he would sacrifice his cooling since the face has less surface area for ambient airflow.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^ feelin' frisky today?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:16 PM
binder

^ feelin' frisky today?
eh, slightly. It gets under my skin when a person talks trash and challenges a company about why they build something "so stupid" when they don't even know the purpose of the produce.

If they learned how intercoolers work and how engineering behind air flow then they would completely understand.

I layed out the answer and it was disreguarded so whatever.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:20 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if those hp ratings are crank hp or whp?

Originally Posted by binder
exactly correct

not really correct. It comes down to a person that has 450hp. He wants to reduce intake temps. His power is 450 so either an intercooler ratedf or 500hp or 550hp will both work. The wider one will provide MORE cooling because it has higher surface area on teh face of the cooler than the narrower one. It won't affect his performance because it still flows enough for his power level but it will cool better.

THAT is why. Now if he needed more "flow" he could use the more narrow one but he would sacrifice his cooling since the face has less surface area for ambient airflow.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:25 PM
GT-ER

Originally Posted by 350z006
I wonder if those hp ratings are crank hp or whp?
They usually rate them in crank hp.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:40 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maXmood
Guys, what's the best TPs for us with FI'ed cars? especially that we need ones with extra bung for WB gauge.

something less raspier than the rest would be an advantage.

i wanna replace my Berk HFCs.. they suck!

thanks!
I have full exhaust.
Strup Headers
TiTech Test Pipes (very nice welds..i mean beautiful)
Fast Intensions Exhaust

no rasp at all! but it did rasp from 3100-3300RPM before the Vortech
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 AM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Someting is wrong with that. 2.87 on any kit will not be 8.8lbs. A 2.87 is 12psi on a non rev so it should be at least 10psi on a rev. Matter of fact the revs on here that i've seen put over 10psi on a 2.87
My car with the Stock blower didnt make 9psi with:

Strup Headers
APS Tall Boy Plenum
TiTech Test Pipes
Stillen Y Pipe
Stock Midpipe
Stock Muffler

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 08-09-2010 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:21 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^my car isn't making more than 7psi with 2.87" pulley with:

plenum spacer
berk hfc
borla TD
Old 08-09-2010, 01:23 PM
- bigc -

^ gotta be a leak somewhere. are you using aftermarket headers or cams? what size piping is the borla?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^no leaks.. oem headers + cams. 2.5" on borla.

if it interests you, you can check out my thread in this section "My SC Setup"..

Last edited by maXmood; 08-09-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Vash350Z

exactly correct

Certainly wasnt calling it stupid, was just looking for a second opinion.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:37 PM
binder

Certainly wasnt calling it stupid, was just looking for a second opinion.
oh, i didn't mean to imply you said it was stupid if i did. It all has a purpose, sometimes it just doesn't make sense when you first take a look at it but it clears up once you start thinking of the physics behind it.

4shizzle, your test pipes will remove a lot of restriction at the exhaust. The cats are the most restrictive part. More exhaust flow will lower backpressure so boost number will drop.

It was my understanding that the rev up engines will have 1psi more than the non-rev engines for the same pulley size. That's straight from vortech's site.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Vash350Z

oh, i didn't mean to imply you said it was stupid if i did. It all has a purpose, sometimes it just doesn't make sense when you first take a look at it but it clears up once you start thinking of the physics behind it.

4shizzle, your test pipes will remove a lot of restriction at the exhaust. The cats are the most restrictive part. More exhaust flow will lower backpressure so boost number will drop.

It was my understanding that the rev up engines will have 1psi more than the non-rev engines for the same pulley size. That's straight from vortech's site.
Btw, you mentioned that the CFM was lower for the 28" one, where did you find that info? I dont see it listed on that page anywhere.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
GT-ER

Btw, you mentioned that the CFM was lower for the 28" one, where did you find that info? I dont see it listed on that page anywhere.
It doesn't have to be listed. A longer intercooler that uses the same type of core as the shorter version will have a lower CFM due to added friction. It's physics...lol.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:23 PM
binder

ya, they don't list it. They should though.

flow= pressure/resistance

resistance= length/cross-sectional area (a laymen's simplified equation)
Old 10-17-2010, 12:26 AM
scenehouser

hey guys,

thought it was time to re-open this awesome thread (:

can someone maybe give a short summary of the different blowers and impeller options out there including expected power output and their best applications?

thnx!

Last edited by scenehouser; 10-17-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:51 AM
str8dum1

obviously you can check the current stuff on vortech's website. All the new ones for the VQ are V3 SCi impellers. Thats superior to all the older V2 SC trim stuff.

There are 3 differnt blower in the legacy line
V1,V2, and the new V3. V1 only has the T-trim. Its has straight cut gears and is a bigger blower than the SC trims.

V2 is the normal SC trim. You could get a Si impeller upgrade for that. Also the 928M impeller fit that model as well.

V1 and V2 use the engines oil system.

V3s are internally lubricated. Older models came with the regular impeller, but could be upgraded to Si impeller. Moot point now, as all new ones come with an update SCi impeller.

Finally there's the YSI. its huge, makes huge HP, and would need some body work on the car to make it fit. No one has put it on a G/Z yet. Pulley'd down, it would made deep into 600s maybe more.

As for power, its all over the place depending on pulleys and cars. Everyone says that the 928M impeller is so much better, but there hasnt been one car making more power than similarly setup stock impellers. That maybe due to the cars they were installed on, but nonetheless, there's no max hp data.

In basic terms they lines would fall like this (assuming same pulley)

V2 SC ~ V3 SC < V2 SI ~V3 Si < V3 SCi < V1 T trim < Ysi
Old 10-17-2010, 06:22 AM
scenehouser

thnx str8

that's great info.. i had no idea there was a difference between the sc and sci

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions