Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stock Motor with forced induction...How badly did you push it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 06:06 AM
erichsherrill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im at 123,000 on a turbonetics kit osiris uprev tune 340whp for the last 3k miles hittin full boost everytime i drive and ive had zero issues. fingers crossed if it blows it blows it will give me a reason to build a bottom end
Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Elperuano

Originally Posted by niZam
+1 Sticky

I see some engines running over 10psi, +450whp lasting for many miles and even abused on the track that don't fail.

At the same time there are engines that fail well under the 400whp level at 6-8 psi. This isn't very consistent. WTF

This leads me to assume the VG35DE is very sensitive to detonation. This explains the bent rods, it sounds like everything else in the engine is fairly strong.

Things that can cause detonation:

Crappy fuel-You need a higher octane to increase the combustion temperatures which lowers the chance of igniting pockets of air outside of the flame front. The type of fuel also makes a difference: Branched chain vs straight chain paraffins.

Bad Timing- Duh. Can anyone chime in on how much retard or advance the engine likes and doesn't like under boost ?

Poor turbulence in the combustion chamber- This is a big one and I think a huge factor with the VG. I personally do not like the design of the intake system of the engine. There are too many direction changes which slow down air and disrupt natural turbulence. Hopefully someone with a little more experience can chime in on this. Compare the intake system of the VG to the RB for instance. The RB is a straight forward design, straighter flow means faster air with more turbulence. Better turbulence=better air fuel mixture=less detonation.

The engines are technically the same yet some fail far before others. This could be due to many factors, maintenance ect. I think its out of the range of a "factory freak" possibility due to the fact that all the rods are pretty close to exactly the same.

We should turn to ways to reduce detonation on this engine when going FI.

Running a little richer
Pulling timing/Retard
Good quality gas/high octane- I use only Shell because of its quality control.
Spark plugs that burn hotter
Changing the intake system/lower/upper collector for something with a straighter flow to induce more turbulence.
Water injection to help the cooling of cylinder temps. These systems are relatively cheap?

Lets keep this thread going. As someone who's interested in boosting on a stock car, I want more knowledge and input.
Good stuff bro, will definitely look into going with a very conservative tune when im done with my turbo set-up which im waitin on
How much richer can i run it where it'll be more safe yet not cause an issue? Will it just burn out in the exhaust?
I only use 93 Chevron/Shell/Bp so im good there.
Spark plugs should be ran 1 step colder and i guess 2 for really well built engine.
I thought the intake system was very well crafted from Nissan to begin with.
Will definitely be looking into the water/meth injection.. Tuned with this though doesnt it make room for more potention power to the motor? Would this require even a more conservative tune with a water/meth injector?
Old 03-19-2010, 05:08 PM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by dlt1cy
I am actually kind of disappointed with this thread. I was hoping to see many more 400+whp with over 30k miles.
How do you feel now? I'm sure a few more Zs/Gs with 400+whp at the 30k mile mark and are running just fine with 0 issues...

On the flipside I'm sure there were a few blown engines along the way too. I'm curious what the new list would look like if it were compiled again
Old 04-08-2010, 08:22 AM
flecko28

^ +1 on any updates

also sub'd
Old 04-08-2010, 11:27 AM
eltness350
The Untouchable

i had a procharger for two summers....about 15k..first summer 375rwhp...second summer 431rwhp.....one summer with the turbonetics st kit 405rwhp and it lasted about 2k then BOOM....rod through a piston!!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM
niZam

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'd be happy as ***** with a 350whp set up. Thats a lot of power, more than you need in a daily driver and plenty for a mild track car to have fun in. When was the last time you drove a car with over 400hp?

Keeping it as simple as possible is key. Supercharging is the simplest but my prior addiction to turbos wont let that happen. I don't want a car I have to baby sit on a daily basis. I've done that, its not fun and really takes the enjoyment out of it. Slapping a turbo on a non-turbo car has its downsides (less power) but it also has (in my mind and experience) higher reliability than a fully built engine running god awful amounts of power that frankly makes no sense to put on the street. Sure, its cool to burble around town with 500whp but c'mon, your gonna spin in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and possibly 4th and by that time your at felony speeding violations. No thanks. I'd rather have a reliable, fun car thats faster than 95% of the cars on the street over a monster with no traction, low reliability thats faster than 99.9% cars out there. There is always someone faster.

Now don't get pissy with me fellas with built motors. Its bad *** what some of you guys on here do, I envy and respect it but its not for me. If I ever built another engine it would be track only. Thinking that I can match or exceed the build quality of an OEM is ridiculous. They spend millions on R&D so I can have a reliable piece of equipment.

Also, I'm not in Cali or Florida where a lot of high dollar cars pull up next to me at a light. That might have something to do with it.

To each his own. I cant wait to turbo my Z. Single turbo, 350whp, water injection to keep it cool and a good tune. Simple. My 03 track has just over 15k on it. It will be fun to see how long it can last at that power level.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:38 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

nice post
Old 04-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have now put about 7000 miles on my 06 Z. No sissues at all. Last year I was making about 360whp, and this year at 8psi (droped to 6.8psi at the top):

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...D/IMG_4803.jpg

I did the tuning myslef with a Haltech. Timing is 12deg @ peak torque.

IMO the 400whp for the roads we have here is too much. The rear end is ariborn half the time, and it becomes very unsafe. I can see having this much power where the roads are very good, but not where I am.

I should mention that the engine has about 15 dyno pulls, about 30 WOT 4th gear runs on the higway (street tuning) and about 12 passes at the track (1/4 mile)

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 04-08-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:53 AM
abarclay

Received 157 Likes on 109 Posts

Bumping
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 AM
mx594

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosted Performance
Timing is 12deg @ peak torque
~4500 rpm?
93 octane?
Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
UMW350Z

those who say 350 whpr is enough soon realize to put their foot in their mouth. 2 weeks later it is boring and you just want more and more to the point where you are scared to push the pedal down...then it is fast enough.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Boosted Performance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mx594
~4500 rpm?
93 octane?
91 octane up here, can't get 93.

I am at 9psi now too. Don't know how much power, so I will have to go back to the dyno. I would suspect in the 420-430 at the wheels if I made 402whp at 8 psi.

The car has a ton of track days too (1/4 mile) still holding up very well. Important thing is not to boost in 5th and 6th, especially in the low rpm range. I think that is one very important thing that some may not know, this goes for build motors as well. It is just too much stress on everything.

IAT's are very good too though. I am crossing the 1/4 mile in 4th and on an 82deg day, the highest IAT I saw was 96deg. It did not look like it was going any higher either. Vertical flow FMIC FTW.

Last edited by Boosted Performance; 07-01-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:03 PM
ffwturboZ

I have never read so much in my life. This thread is full of good info. Im happy to see at least one person with the Powerlab kit, LOL... I have the kit and love it. Just need to see where the numbers are since the car has no gauges. Dyno run comming next month.

Last edited by ffwturboZ; 07-03-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 AM
erichsherrill

turbonetics kit for around 6k spun a main bearing at 126k it was about time.. now i have a built bottom end done by kyle at IPP.. soo much more happy now
Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 AM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by erichsherrill
turbonetics kit for around 6k spun a main bearing at 126k it was about time.. now i have a built bottom end done by kyle at IPP.. soo much more happy now
Ouch sorry to hear that. I remember your post a few months ago. Take a look at this guys post here...

I really like what he did by swapping out the Turbonetics turbo with a Garrett T3 unit.

That's something I would look into if I had a Turbonetics kit myself
Old 07-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by niZam
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'd be happy as ***** with a 350whp set up. Thats a lot of power, more than you need in a daily driver and plenty for a mild track car to have fun in. When was the last time you drove a car with over 400hp?

Keeping it as simple as possible is key. Supercharging is the simplest but my prior addiction to turbos wont let that happen. I don't want a car I have to baby sit on a daily basis. I've done that, its not fun and really takes the enjoyment out of it. Slapping a turbo on a non-turbo car has its downsides (less power) but it also has (in my mind and experience) higher reliability than a fully built engine running god awful amounts of power that frankly makes no sense to put on the street. Sure, its cool to burble around town with 500whp but c'mon, your gonna spin in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and possibly 4th and by that time your at felony speeding violations. No thanks. I'd rather have a reliable, fun car thats faster than 95% of the cars on the street over a monster with no traction, low reliability thats faster than 99.9% cars out there. There is always someone faster.

Now don't get pissy with me fellas with built motors. Its bad *** what some of you guys on here do, I envy and respect it but its not for me. If I ever built another engine it would be track only. Thinking that I can match or exceed the build quality of an OEM is ridiculous. They spend millions on R&D so I can have a reliable piece of equipment.

Also, I'm not in Cali or Florida where a lot of high dollar cars pull up next to me at a light. That might have something to do with it.

To each his own. I cant wait to turbo my Z. Single turbo, 350whp, water injection to keep it cool and a good tune. Simple. My 03 track has just over 15k on it. It will be fun to see how long it can last at that power level.
just dont ever ride in a 500whp+ car because you'll want it. the adrenaline rush you get at that power level and up is addicting. im at those power levels and i want more now. oh and fkn ricers go around town at full boost. i only go into full boost on the freeway without traffic usually later in the evenings.

Last edited by Nexx; 07-12-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 AM
supernadc2
Banned

Originally Posted by Nexx
just dont ever ride in a 500whp+ car because you'll want it. the adrenaline rush you get at that power level and up is addicting. im at those power levels and i want more now. oh and fkn ricers go around town at full boost. i only go into full boost on the freeway without traffic usually later in the evenings.
Haha. There is only truth in both of the statements made here.

As for me 518whp @ 10psi. Not a daily driver and havent tracked it. Pretty conservative driving except the once an while need to boooost! No problems as of yet. I have close to 12k miles on the twin turbos. 3 months or less and the build will begin.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:16 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 1k miles on my JWT 530 set u only at wastegate (7lbs) and its super boring. Its my weekend car and I drive at WOT all over the place lol

LSD and 10psi tune coming next week
Old 07-14-2010, 08:23 AM
MDHRZ

Should have got an HR and 7psi would be fun lol........jk
Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 AM
PRuane

Originally Posted by Barnabas
About 1k miles on my JWT 530 set u only at wastegate (7lbs) and its super boring. Its my weekend car and I drive at WOT all over the place lol

LSD and 10psi tune coming next week
Lol I doubt it's "super boring". I still have fun in my
Z and I only have intake/exhaust!

Quick Reply: Stock Motor with forced induction...How badly did you push it?