Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Update on the Brian Crower Stroker kit.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
Sam,

The last stroker we received from BC was already balanced.
Not according to their website,the bc kit is not balanced out the box.balancing is required and it is at additional cost .got an e mail from brian crower him self to prove that .i could post it ,but don't want to start a war here on the forum.

Greg the info i m providing is baced on our first hand experience ,we had a bc kit in our hand .i'm stating the facts

sam

Gt motorsports
Old 06-04-2007, 12:02 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Originally Posted by paranormal

this is a 3.8l right?

that is a great deal!
Yes jimmy that is corect ,3.8l that is designed to rev to 8000 rpm .we will be posting the dyno results sometimes this week,it is a great value .

sam

Gt motorsports
Old 06-04-2007, 12:05 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
We don't ,the more oil you are splashing the pistons .the cooler they will be . you tell me what is better keeping or removing the oil squirters

SAM

GT MOTORSPORTS
Sam,

I guess there is always a trade off since the oild squirters are there for cooling the pistons but at the same time you lose some of the pressure to feed the bearings.I think they both ways have their merits for specific applications. I feel as though the application should dictate whether or not you keep them For cars that have issues with bearing failure, then hey get them suckers out of there.If you have a motor that like to gobble up pistons then keep'em.

Last edited by TurboTim; 06-04-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:14 PM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
IMHO, I would not use a stroker kit that deletes the oil squirters. They do serve a very important purpose. Now, if you are running a 8sec drag car for one pass, that would be a different story...but for a street/road course car, I would prefer keeping the squirters.

So that points us to GTM. They kits are proven, and tested, and this new drop-in parts kits looks very promising as well.
from what i read, oil squirters are debatable... but, they are used quite frequently and according to e30m3performance.com, this is why:

"Oil squirters can be found on many newer production cars, as well as on most purpose built racecars. The purpose of the oil squirters is to cool the aluminum pistons. There are two reasons for this. First of all, the strength of aluminum decreases rather quickly as the temperature is elevated. With the emphasis on decreasing the mass of pistons (a reciprocating part) the amount of material is reduced to the absolute minimum, so the margin on strength is not large. Any further decrease in strength due to heating should be avoided to maintain the mechanical integrity of the piston. There is also evidence that cooling the pistons can reduce the likelihood of pre-ignition (and possibly detonation). This can be caused by hot spots (on sharp edges of the piston-top) lighting-off the mixture before the spark plug fires. Rounding off any sharp edges on the machined piston-top can also help prevent this."

i have to agree with this statement and see the logic behind it... i've always been of the mindset that too much insurance is better than too little...
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 PM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

Sam,

Wasn't the BC kit the first one that came off the assembly with the crank issues last October?

I am definitely not trying to start anything, just saying that the one we received a month ago and the one last week was balanced and we were not charged for it on our invoice.

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
Not according to their website,the bc kit is not balanced out the box.balancing is required and it is at additional cost .got an e mail from brian crower him self to prove that .i could post it ,but don't want to start a war here on the forum.

Greg the info i m providing is baced on our first hand experience ,we had a bc kit in our hand .i'm stating the facts

sam

Gt motorsports
Old 06-04-2007, 03:30 PM
EM-EFER

Great information Jullian. Thanks for posting that up.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:12 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

i am just happy that so far the thread is clean and filled with good info and on topic
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
i am just happy that so far the thread is clean and filled with good info and on topic
SSSSHHHHH!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 05:15 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by failsafe306
SSSSHHHHH!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by NoLimit
Good Thread!
Yeah I bet... I understand you have shown quite an interest lately in what were doing..
Old 06-04-2007, 08:27 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Just wanted to update everyone on some issues we discovered with the Brian Crower stroker kit.
We have been working on the 86.4 mm stroker kit, the one that is supposed to be able to retain the oil squirters and have no clearance issues according to Brian Crower and his technitians. Well after assembling the crank and dropping in the rods, we found thus far that the main girdle needs to be clearanced for the rod bolts, they hit.. We only got a 10 degree rotation in one direction before the rod bolts hit and stopped rotation. We rotated 10 degrees the other direction and found that the pistons that were supposed to clear the oil squirters, do not clear the oil squirters.
So now were off to dissasemble the mains and come up with a fix for removing the oil squirters from the block, we never did it, so Im not sure if we should utilize a spacer to fill up the gap, or find a shorter bolt.
We really wish we had been advised this would be an issue prior to assembly. We did ask about this prior to purchase and were told ther was no machining like this needed.
The valves we purchased from him came with a little notation that they may be a bit tight in the guides and some light honing was needed, so we did so to make them fit perfect.The crank however came with ZERO instructions on what to remove or machine for clearance.
So basically we just did Brian Crowers R&D for him at a cost of $60 per hour that I pay my engine builder..
We contacted Brian Crower in regards to the issue, and we are awaiting his reply eagerly. If this is a common issue , he needs to be made aware of it and supply the required machining instructions with the kit.

Didnt they fail on their first stroker kits, two years ago?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by turismo
Didnt they fail on their first stroker kits, two years ago?
They did have a block clearance issue on one they rushed to SEMA, but according to them they resolved it..
Old 06-05-2007, 03:29 AM
turismo

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
They did have a block clearance issue on one they rushed to SEMA, but according to them they resolved it..

I think there was a guy in Houston, that owned one of there first stroker kits. I dont know, if they ever got a chance to run it.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:16 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

You sure that isn't the guy that had the AEBS stroker about 2 years ago? It is a wide body yellow 350z.

Originally Posted by turismo
I think there was a guy in Houston, that owned one of there first stroker kits. I dont know, if they ever got a chance to run it.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:44 AM
MIAPLAYA

You sure that isn't the guy that had the AEBS stroker about 2 years ago? It is a wide body yellow 350z.
What ever happened to that car?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I tried calling him a couple months ago but never heard back. I think SFR was putting a turbo kit on it last time I heard.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:51 AM
MIAPLAYA

I tried calling him a couple months ago but never heard back. I think SFR was putting a turbo kit on it last time I heard.
It would be nice to see that thing run after all that time. Hell I want to see your Z making some passes to. Did you settle on a GT48? after all?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:13 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

It would be nice to see that thing run after all that time. Hell I want to see your Z making some passes to. Did you settle on a GT48? after all?
Went with the GT47-88 (1500hp turbo). Car is done, just waiting on the ECU which I am being told next week (crosses fingers).

We had to flip, rotate, everything possible to get the turbo to fit. Installing it, removing it, installing it, back and forth got tiresome. I swear this thing weights 75lbs.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:41 AM
MIAPLAYA

Wow Greg thats some serious redesign there... Can't wait to see the results..
Old 06-05-2007, 09:12 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Mia that teh car walds Z... its the one that has INtense/powerlab twin GT35 turbo kit

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 06-05-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Update on the Brian Crower Stroker kit.