Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:49 PM
priscilla ls1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear but this is just another road block.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
i am going on record to say that i asked jet if he drained the oil before he brought me the motor and also asked him if he had any problems. i told him that the oil level was very low and does he want me to pull the motor apart and check it out.

this was all brought up and in the open. he said that he feels the motor was ok oil wise and he felt like there would be no issues so we went ahead.

we did a compression test on the motor and we have 145 110 145 145 145 145. cylinder 2 is definitely the issue.

sorry sharif but your tune was rather to say the least "conservative" plus i have made more hp on AJs stock motor than you made on that built motor.

i really would like to know what honestly happened here....
Not to add fuel to the fire but that was a bad call on Jet's part, he should have stated he wanted tro proceed with things in his first post. Im surprised you didnt do a compression test before you had tuned it-as I read your post I take it you did that after you guys realized the motor really was done. Also, a stock block with higher compression will of course make more power psi vs psi over a built motor with low comp and even cams, we have seen this before. You also dont have a Dyno Dynamics dyno, so how would you know you made more power anyway? Are we back to comparing DD vs DJ #'s again?

Its a shame the Z boards have turned into such a "negative" place when things like this happen.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:57 PM
k3silk

Damn bro sorry to hear this. z06 is sounding better and better everyday.some people have good luck with boost and others don't thats just the way it works. But if your compression was cjeck and #2 cyl was bad why wold you go ahead with the tune?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Weqster

Its the blame game. Everyone plays the blame game when something falls over.

If two shops are involved in an engine - say head/shortblock - they will both blame eachother until the cows come home. There is no integrity in this industry..

That said, i would not have started a thread like this until all the partys in the build had had a chance to put in there final verdicts/statements.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:59 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The story is that on the ride home from the body shop a re-tread came off a truck and cracked the front bumper. When I got it home I parked it and removed the bumper and rasdiator support to replace it and decided to get the twin turbo since the front was off and that would fascilitate pulling the motor. The car was flatbedded to Jeremy's 3 weeks later. I never checked the oil. I didn't have a reason to. I had just changed it. So the oil was drained by jeremy after dropping the car off. That's when we noticed the 5 quart loss. I forgt othe oil spacer adds 1 quart.

Jeremy had stated that AJ's G was making power to 6200 at 14 psi. Maybe he can asnwer your question about the tune. I haven't seen my UTEC map.

JET
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I never noticed the engine smoking under normal driving conditions. It may have been smoking very little on the highway and over a long period of time a large quantity of oil was consumed. I still had the issue concerning the turbo. The way the oil was burning off after WOT runs is indicitive of the turbo seal that I have always had.

Jeremy did a compression test and the # 2 cylinder is 110 while the rest are 145. So after the teardown we will figure out what is up. Did the low oil quantity cause failure of the ring and piston or was the low oil quantity the result of it's failure. That we have to determine. Again the "low oil press" light never illuminated.

JET
Jet, did you notice what you oil pressure was during idle and cruise? The light will not illuminate until pressure is basically zero or very close to zero. Unfortunately, the light doesnt give you any warning.
chris'smax

Originally Posted by Alberto

Its a shame the Z boards have turned into such a "negative" place when things like this happen.

It's because some people on here do not know how to act like adults and try and play the "my coc is bigger than your's game" .
Old 06-05-2007, 08:02 PM
JETPILOT

Jeremy did not tune the car. I believe the oil issue wasn't discovered until the engine was out of the car already.

JET
Old 06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Jeremy had stated that AJ's G was making power to 6200 at 14 psi. Maybe he can asnwer your question about the tune. I haven't seen my UTEC map.

JET
You do understand AJ/PF has a nice wastegate relocation (forget if they mod'd the downpipe or not) that alters the power curve over your kit, and stock compression AND are pushing it to the limits? Also, please dont compare DJ to uncorrected "low" Dyno Dynamics #'s, Im sick of seeing crap like that (dyno d!ck swinging), especially from members like you that should know better, I wouldnt have expected that from Jeremy, as I know he usually lets the times do the talking. Again how is this related to your engine failing or did you just want to vent that you think Jeremy can tune your TN kit (stock) + built motor and make power to 6200rpms?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Alberto
You do understand AJ/PF has a nice wastegate relocation (forget if they mod'd the downpipe or not) that alters the power curve over your kit, and stock compression AND are pushing it to the limits? Also, please dont compare DJ to uncorrected "low" Dyno Dynamics #'s, Im sick of seeing crap like that (dyno d!ck swinging), especially from members like you that should know better, I wouldnt have expected that from Jeremy, as I know he usually lets the times do the talking.
FYI Jet had a Turbosmart 48mm wastegate custom relocated and dumping to atmosphere too.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:04 PM
JETPILOT

I was watching and recording my oil pressure very closely lately. I was trying to troubleshoot the issue with the oil seal on the turbo. Oil pressure at idle was 28. WOT was about 68. The oil pressure that day I drove home was normal.

JET
Old 06-05-2007, 08:05 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
FYI Jet had a Turbosmart 48mm wastegate custom relocated and dumping to atmosphere too.
Yeah... my wastegate was huge and efficiently mounted.

JET
Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 PM
taurran

I did make a long post about the issue, but I'd rather stay out of this and let it be sorted out by those parties directly involved.

Jet - good luck getting this straightened out. Hopefully everyone that's worked on the car over the past year will be able to sort out the problem and help you resolve it asap.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:08 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
sorry sharif but your tune was rather to say the least "conservative" plus i have made more hp on AJs stock motor than you made on that built motor.
Jeremy, you really have a LOT to learn. For a shop that has been open for 6 months, you sure do talk a lot of smack..and its getting old. Our dyno reads much lower than your DJ...so please quit with the dyno comparos. Wait..I forgot...you are the expert and know everything about the VQ35.
You sort of need a TRACK RECORD before you can judge what is conservative, and what is not.

I am done with this thread, because I dont want to get into a further debate with you...its not worth my time.
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Forgot you had that WG Jet! Let this be a lesson to newbs that if possible stick with one reputable shop for all your work, that way if something goes wrong you can have it taken care of hopefully. I know your car has been to at least 3 shops, maybe more. The curse of **M follows you! (Alberto-trying to lighten the mood)
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jet, what about that f'd up oil return line that I saw Jeremy take out?? Maybe that prob. caused some issues.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 PM
JETPILOT

The issue with the the oil return line was this.... The line was routed so it was touching the up-pipe. It burned through the line, but no oil leaked from the oil drain line. The outside of the oil drain line shows no sign of burnt, or soaked in oil. There is also no carbon/oil residue on the up-pipe. That's why I didn't mention it. Because it wasn't a factor. The oil return line isn't pressurized and oil was not being forced out of the hole. I have the line and will take a picture of it.

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 06-05-2007 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 PM
MIAPLAYA

At any rate sorry to hear about this Jet and I hope you get this sorted out.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Dont you use the AAM return kit? If so it burned through the stainless line?
Old 06-05-2007, 08:12 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue with the the oil return line was this.... The line was routed so it was touching the up-pipe. It burned through the line, but no oil leaked from the oil drain line. The outside of the oil drain line shows no sign of burnt, or soaked in oil. There is also no carbon/oil residue on the up-pipe. That's why I didn't mention it. Because it wasn't a factor. The oil return line isn't pressurized and oil was not be forced out of the hole.

JET
I know it's not presurized but if was leaking out there's where all your oil went. But, since that wasn't the case I guess you have to look elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!