Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:13 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Dont you use the AAM return kit? If so it burned through the stainless line?
He did and if the pipe wasn't heat wrapped it absolutely could. My EGT is in my up pipe and sees 1300 or 1350 at WOT and full boost. 600-800 under cruise. That kind of temps could easily burn the SS line. Granted thats inside the pipe EGT but I'm sure that outside aint THAT much cooler. Of course I have that pipe heat wrapped on my car.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:23 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sharif replaced the SS braided oil drain line with a lightweight nylon braided line after my engine build becasue the oil drain line could have been an issue with my turbo seal. The up-pipe in my car was not wrapped. It had Jet-Hot coating.

I'm depressed!

JET
Old 06-05-2007, 08:30 PM
maximumsportZ

Jet, very sorry to hear man. I feel your pain. I'm sure Jeremy had filled you in what happen to my motor about a month ago. Reading this thread hauntingly reminded me of my mishap.

Well you seem to be in good hands with a couple shops that will back up their work. Really hope all works out.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:31 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Sharif replaced the SS braided oil drain line with a lightweight nylon braided line after my engine build becasue the oil drain line could have been an issue with my turbo seal. The up-pipe in my car was not wrapped. It had Jet-Hot coating.

I'm depressed!

JET
I don't see how that could have been any better than the thick AAM SS line. I have one of those nylon lines on my car now and I want to get it out of there ASAP, it's pretty much crap. I'm surprised you were told that they were changing it out to help with the oil return issue.

Now that the cat is out of the bag concerning the oil line, I'll just say that I heard the think was kinked in half on the strut bar, and burned in a spot as well. This may have had something to do with the smoking turbo issues all along, and is fault of the installer that put the kit in with that line. There's just no way why it would be blowing out oil that bad without something that serious blocking the drain.

But we're not here to discuss the turbo. We're here to discuss the motor.

Now, I will go on a limb to say this is exactly why the motor was not immediately broken down in the first place. The car had always burned a lot of oil, and with the oil return kinked and burned, anyone would have said "ok, so it ran low after leaking/burning all that oil out of the turbo oil return". If you look at it from that perspective, it's perfectly clear why Jet made the choice to go ahead and install the TT kit on the car. I would have done the same thing.

So, please don't try to put this on Jeremy. He's been stuck on this entire job cleaning up other people's messes. I think some people on here are just trying to say otherwise due to shop loyalty. That's as far as I'll go with it, make of it what you will...
Old 06-05-2007, 08:34 PM
chris'smax

looks like this is going to get ugly real quick
Old 06-05-2007, 08:48 PM
masterj26

Sorry to hear this Jet, Good luck in getting everything sorted out.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Not to add fuel to the fire but that was a bad call on Jet's part, he should have stated he wanted tro proceed with things in his first post. Im surprised you didnt do a compression test before you had tuned it-as I read your post I take it you did that after you guys realized the motor really was done. Also, a stock block with higher compression will of course make more power psi vs psi over a built motor with low comp and even cams, we have seen this before. You also dont have a Dyno Dynamics dyno, so how would you know you made more power anyway? Are we back to comparing DD vs DJ #'s again?

Its a shame the Z boards have turned into such a "negative" place when things like this happen.

ok just want to make clear that we did a compression test as soon as i got the motor back together and back in the car. i had the car idling and removed the oil cap and it was smoking out pretty bad. there was no tuning or anything actually on my part....
Old 06-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

you sharif well are just plain overrated. who are you, you are some guy who got on some message boards a couple years ago with NO history or background of cars. you built up a loyal following of people in need of parts. you honestly had the lamest tune that i have ever seen on a car on jets car. come on man, when will everyone see through the BS. you are a nestle quick marketing person. thats it...

you come back to me when you build something that actually runs for once, not set up stupid safe...

here just for fun, we will let all the real tuners make fun of your timing maps that were on jets car. soooo lame man, i cant believe anyone pays for this... people WILL see the light

these images are jets old TN tune on a BUILT motor, parameters set up from 1 to 15 psi. if we want to talk crap and say who has a lot to learn, well this timing map tells the truth for sure...

now wonder you couldnt make any power over 5500, you left the timing the same values.

also, why we are trash talking, i heard through the grapevine sharif that you blew your motor, is that the reason you have a different one in there and only running 8 psi?? at least i make sure i dont hide stuff when i do it...

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Jeremy, you really have a LOT to learn. For a shop that has been open for 6 months, you sure do talk a lot of smack..and its getting old. Our dyno reads much lower than your DJ...so please quit with the dyno comparos. Wait..I forgot...you are the expert and know everything about the VQ35.
You sort of need a TRACK RECORD before you can judge what is conservative, and what is not.

I am done with this thread, because I dont want to get into a further debate with you...its not worth my time.
Attached Thumbnails Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!-gaytuned.jpg   Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!-gaytuned2.jpg   Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!-gaytuned3.jpg   Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!-gaytuned4.jpg  
Old 06-05-2007, 08:59 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

wow
Old 06-05-2007, 09:09 PM
rythex

yoikes.. and the gloves come off
Old 06-05-2007, 09:10 PM
bacalhau16

Pretty interesting stuff here. I hope your car get fixed alright JET. Hopefully your luck in the future will be a little better.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 PM
carfi179

GTM, Forge Performance and Performance factory are 1 of the most respected Shop/tuner in the Z community. Now IMO....calling each other names and playing the blame game is very lame, Instead of calling each other names....... just help Jetpilot's car get back in the road ASAP! We can all learn from this experience. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:19 PM
bacalhau16

But at the same time, there seems to be some things on JETs car that just werent done right. This tune in question, doesnt seem to be impressive initself as well. JETs car Im sure will get fixed, but some things need to be talked about a little as well.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Originally Posted by carfi179
GTM, Forge Performance and Performance factory are 1 of the most respected Shop/tuner in the Z community. Now IMO....calling each other names and playing the blame game is very lame, Instead of calling each other names....... just help Jetpilot's car get back in the road ASAP! We can all learn from this experience. Just my 2 cents.

please leave sam and GTM out of this, he is a respectable engine builder/ tuner....

i dont claim to be anything false or misleading from what or who i am , i am a hardcore racer... i like going fast and getting sideways. i just happened to start a shop finally like have thought about since i was 16 back in 1992. finally i have reached my goals and honestly, i would do this all for free if i didnt have any bills. i just hate all the bull**** that people believe here and we need more people who are honest and upfront and not all about making $$$$$
Old 06-05-2007, 09:23 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
please leave sam and GTM out of this, he is a respectable engine builder/ tuner....

i dont claim to be anything false or misleading from what or who i am , i am a hardcore racer... i like going fast and getting sideways. i just happened to start a shop finally like have thought about since i was 16 back in 1992. finally i have reached my goals and honestly, i would do this all for free if i didnt have any bills. i just hate all the bull**** that people believe here and we need more people who are honest and upfront and not all about making $$$$$
+1 me and julian were having this same convo that u just stated the other day jeremy
Old 06-05-2007, 09:31 PM
taurran

Ok, well I've been thinking about how this could have all possibly gone down with Jet's motor. For those of you who don't know, I've been arguing the smoking and multiple smoking turbo issue here on the forum with Jet for a LONG time. I really never saw why his "turbo" would repeatedly smoke over and over even after rebuilt.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around this whole situation since I've spent so much time over the last year ARGUING the point that there's no way one person could get 4 bad turbos.

Lets go back to the start. Jetpilot's original turbo was changed out at the time his built motor went in, if I'm not mistaken. Since that point, even with multiple turbos changed out, his car continued to smoke, even after 3 more rebuilt turbos were replaced. During this time the car was tuned on the dyno and then sent home with Jetpilot.

Now I hear in this thread that for some reason, a SS oil return line was replaced with a nylon return line. This same line that was later found to be kinked around the strut and burned through, which could definitely be blamed for the car smoking.

This certainly makes it difficult to tell when ringlands went bad on that piston, as the turbo has been smoking the entire time and would have masked any issues caused by a damaged piston ring. For all we know, the piston ring could have gone into the motor damaged, or it could have been damaged on the initial dyno run. Furthermore, Jetpilot's car had a very conservative tune this entire time, so that makes the likelyhood of the ringland going bad on the street since then even less likely.

Would that mean this entire time the blame has been placed on Turbonetics for a smoking car, it could have easily been caused by a blown piston ringland and terribly swapped and installed nylon oil return? It's very convenient that all this happened and it panned out so it could be blamed on the Turbonetics turbo.

I'm sorry, I personally consider myself friends with all the parties invovled, but something smells a bit fishy here. I'm very interested in this situation as I've been dealing with Jet's personal agenda against Turbonetics for the past year. And, if all that energy was misdirected when it was a bad motor and bad install, then I feel the need to raise the flag on it.

I'm not trying to play Perry Mason or JFK here, just throwing out some possibilites in order to shed some light on the situation. Take it as you will...
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 PM
carfi179

It would really suck for him if that was the case. A lot of thread have been created about how bad of experience he had with Turbonetics turbo.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:41 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your piston isnt cracked its a busted oil ring or it didnt seat. I have the same Arias ED pistons. My car uses some oil because of the loose pistons, but nothing like 4 quarts in 300 miles. A piston like the arias ED will crack before it melts. If your oil return line had a hole in it, there would be signs of it.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
i am going on record to say that i asked jet if he drained the oil before he brought me the motor and also asked him if he had any problems. i told him that the oil level was very low and does he want me to pull the motor apart and check it out.

this was all brought up and in the open. he said that he feels the motor was ok oil wise and he felt like there would be no issues so we went ahead.

here....
I don't want to take sides here, but asking the less knowlegable owner about the status of an engine was a bad call. I personally feel that it's the tuners/installer's responsibility to elaborate on the risks and their professional opinion to their customers, thoroughly.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

well, i gave him the choice and he brought me the car not running. i told him the consequences if there was a problem and he said go ahead with it cause he felt like there was no issue the last time that the car was driven. i then took it into my own hands and did what the customer wanted. i cant force everyone into doing another engine breakdown. i did make sure i covered myself in an event like this though.

Quick Reply: Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!