Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:54 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cannysage
I don't want to take sides here, but asking the less knowlegable owner about the status of an engine was a bad call. I personally feel that it's the tuners/installer's responsibility to elaborate on the risks and their professional opinion to their customers, thoroughly.
You aren't taking into account that the oil return on the turbo was kinked/punctured and shooting oil out of the seals. I personally would have assumed that was the main factor for low oil. It's certainly more plausable than expecting a high end Extreme Duty piston to be busted.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
You aren't taking into account that the oil return on the turbo was kinked/punctured and shooting oil out of the seals. I personally would have assumed that was the main factor for low oil. It's certainly more plausable than expecting a high end Extreme Duty piston to be busted.

i am leaving the oil return line with a hole in it out of this equation. yes there was a return line with a hole in it, BUT there was no oil anywhere around it. the line was poorly routed for sure.

thats pretty much what threw me off... this is just another crazy story
Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 PM
chuquison

and these are the reasons sometimes i just wanna leave my car stock! cause there is soooo much headaches with upgradig stuf that didnt come the way people wants them! i

f you want a turbo car buy a stock turboed car! if it came NA i think its for a reason. just my two cents
Old 06-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Scythenc

oh believe me i feel your pain im going through this with a stock engine. i couldnt even fathom how i would feel if something like this happened with the amount of money invested in a built engine.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:03 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
i am leaving the oil return line with a hole in it out of this equation. yes there was a return line with a hole in it, BUT there was no oil anywhere around it. the line was poorly routed for sure.

thats pretty much what threw me off... this is just another crazy story

Hmm... was the hole before or after the kink in the line? If it was after then I could definitely see why that was happening.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:08 PM
zstreet86

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh snap, the first negative thread about shariff @ forged!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:10 PM
kostat26

Originally Posted by zstreet86
oh snap, the first negative thread about shariff @ forged!
i've heard many negative stories.......
Old 06-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Emotions are running high in this thread ,which shouldn't be. Everyone should take a deep breath and calm down a bit again our number one focus should be on our mutual customer (jet pilot ). it easy to fall into the finger pointing game , we need to gather the facts and find the route cause of this problem first . Lets get Larry back on the road.

sam

GT Motorsports
Old 06-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by Sam@GTM
Emotions are running high in this thread ,which shouldn't be. Everyone should take a deep breath and calm down a bit again our number one focus should be on our mutual customer (jet pilot ). it easy to fall into the finger pointing game , we need to gather the facts and find the route cause of this problem first . Lets get Larry back on the road.

sam

GT Motorsports
Listen to this man . . . . . .
Old 06-05-2007, 11:13 PM
priscilla ls1

sam

GT Motorsports

AMEN! BROTHER!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:22 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam....what facts should we be focused on? What is your insight into this? (Not meant in a wise@ss manner).

Is it possible to blow 5 quarts of oil out in 400 miles without noticing?

JET
Old 06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
Weqster

I busted 4 forged pistons within 500km's due to ****ty valve seals installed by an engine builder. Tear the engine down and inspect the damage. Thats what you should be focused on.

An low oil will spin a bearing WAYYYYYY before it will starve a piston ring.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Sam@GTM
Sponsor
GT Motorsports

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Sam....what facts should we be focused on? What is your insight into this? (Not meant in a wise@ss manner).

Is it possible to blow 5 quarts of oil out in 400 miles without noticing?

JET
We should do some more testing before pulling the engine out of the car, like cylnder leak down test and a wet compression test .All this info will be very helpfull in determening the cause of the problem at the tear down inspection .

Its not going to be dificult at all finding the problem after the tear down inspection whether its a broken ring land ,oil starvation ,or rings not seating (inproper break in) keeping in mind that the first thound miles is very crucial in a fresh engine .

Now it doesn't make sense for you to loose 5 quarts of oil in 300 miles and not able to see that through smoking out of the tail pipe. lets put it this way, this thing should have fouled the plugs with consuming oil at that rate and the car should have ran very poorly .

sam

GT Motorsports

Last edited by Sam@GTM; 06-06-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:31 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

i made sure i asked larry a few times how the car was running, if he drained out some of the oil and if he noticed anything strange towards before he brought the car. honestly it looked like he drained the oil when he brought the car. no metal shavings from any bearings in the oil, no oil leaking anywhere on the car.

he brought me the car with no front end on it, no radiator support, no headlights, no radiator, etc. i figured if he took all that off, he probably just drained the oil out as well.

no signs of anything worn, i questioned him on it all to find out how it ran previous, told him what would happen if he put it back together and there was an issue. he said, that he felt that the car was running 100% when he ran over the retread.

he said go ahead after asking him a million times....

leak down test will be done today in just a little while
Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 AM
TruBluZ

Wow...sorry to hear that JET.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:55 AM
Bullitproof

Jet, did all this happen on your initial break-in of the motor?
Old 06-06-2007, 05:01 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

1. I don't think I've seen a tuner blamed for being too conservative before.

2. When the tire piece/tread hit the bottom of the car, isn't it possible for there to have been an intermittent leak at that point? By the time JET got to his destination - the leak might've stopped. I wish some clever guy would come up with an oil "volume" gauge rather than oil pressure gauge, which would solve issues like this.

3. I don't think while examining the facts, that either Performance Factory or Forged Performance are directly responsible for the cylinder #2 failure. Not sure why there's a heated debate on a tangential issue (conservative vs. more aggressive timing).

I hope there is no major damage JET - good luck man.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear this Jetpilot, I liked your build
Old 06-06-2007, 05:46 AM
roncfpz

sam

GT Motorsports
+1.....well stated Sam. This thread is just another example of what is wrong with this forum. Jet, good luck with everything.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:47 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

there is really no debate where it came from, it was either on sharifs dyno or on the road after when larry was driving. so that would be the only debate. not possible that it happened in the 20 mins of it running at 2500 rpms during cam initial break in here.

car came to me not running but smoking when it did run. i threw some cams in after we had the motor out for the greddy install. we just want to pinpoint where it happened so it doesnt happen again really...

Quick Reply: Engine is Toast !!!! Feel my Pain!!