Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Injected Performance bringing in the first four digit dyno number: 1016rwhp DD

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 01:30 PM
TENGAI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
This information could not be less acurate if you tried..The Machine costs of our "drop in " Brian Crower 3.8 liter stroker was over $2700. There is tons of machine work needed, especially on the 4.1 L stroke..There is no such thing as a "drop in" stroker..
Ok, maybe I need to re-phrase. PARTS ONLY from IP's website. Although it includes the sleeves, you still would have to machine the block to accept the sleeves and bore / hone the block.

If you bothered to read the whole post, you'd see that I stated GTM's prices as well as a complete/machined and assembled short block. Let's not turn this into another f'ked up debate thread... Both kits come within reason of the other's prices. and offer 4+ liters of total displacement. The ONLY difference in the prices is that with GTM's parts only offering, they don't seem to include the sleeves. I could be completely wrong, but according to the announcement thread they posted a while back, sleeves weren't included in the parts only quote. I also stated their complete kit price for what it's worth. Very nice gear from either shop. But I digress...

Great work by IP and great things for the community as a whole. I'm always happy to see new things in new forms offered up for the masses.

Last edited by TENGAI; 07-23-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by TENGAI
Ok, maybe I need to re-phrase. PARTS ONLY from IP's website. Although it includes the sleeves, you still would have to machine the block to accept the sleeves and bore / hone the block.

If you bothered to read my second post, you'd see that I stated GTM's prices as well as a complete/machined and assembled short block. Let's not turn this into another f'ked up debate thread... Both kits come within reason of the other's prices. and offer 4+ liters of total displacement. The ONLY difference in the prices is that with GTM's parts only offering, they don't seem to include the sleeves. I could be completely wrong, but according to the announcement thread they posted a while back, sleeves weren't included in the parts only quote. I also stated their complete kit price for what it's worth. Very nice gear from either shop. But I digress...

Great work by IP and great things for the community as a whole. I'm always happy to see new things in new forms offered up for the masses.
FYI, Sleeving is not the only machine work to perform.There is alot of material that needs to be machined from the block to make it fit. I wan not starting a debate, simply correcting an innacurate comment from you.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:35 PM
TENGAI

Point taken... I'll go back to my corner now
Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
welll its a stroker kit ..it cant be cheap... but in time turbo kits and fuel development will allow a block with sleeves to make the same power by compensating with more boost
What makes you think these advancements in turbo kits and fuel development won't make cars fitted with stroker kits even more powerful down the road?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by kwame@z1
What makes you think these advancements in turbo kits and fuel development won't make cars fitted with stroker kits even more powerful down the road?
did you read what i posted... its not like i am dissing the stroker? i am talking about the whp records made so far.

But considering the stroked 3.4L supra with less displacement has made more power than the Z "stock" displacement should give you a "reference". Plus at some point you hit a ceiling anyways... OF course you can make more power with stroker kits..but the point was that sleeves allow you compensate with more boost...

don't get sensitive. I like the BC stroker kit

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 07-23-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:23 PM
Kwame

did you read what i posted... its not like i am dissing the stroker? i am talking about the whp records made so far.

But considering the stroked 3.4L supra with less displacement has made more power than the Z "stock" displacement should give you a "reference". Plus at some point you hit a ceiling anyways... OF course you can make more power with stroker kits..but the point was that sleeves allow you compensate with more boost...

don't get sensitive. I like the BC stroker kit
You need to clarify your point better in your first statement then.

Your first statement is presented in a way that would lead someone to believe that the power achieved by utilizing a stoker kit can always be compensated for by sleeving a block and using more boost. That same someone might be led to believe that you are not able to run as much boost on stroked motor as you would on a non-stroked motor.

My point is that it should be clearly stated that if you have the same exact set-up on two seperate motors except for the fact that one is stroked and one isn't, generally speaking the stroked motor will have more power than the non-stroked motor.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:28 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by kwame@z1
You need to clarify your point better in your first statement then.

Your first statement is presented in a way that would lead someone to believe that the power achieved by utilizing a stoker kit can always be compensated for by sleeving a block and using more boost. That same someone might be led to believe that you are not able to run as much boost on stroked motor as you would on a non-stroked motor.

My point is that it should be clearly stated that if you have the same exact set-up on two seperate motors except for the fact that one is stroked and one isn't, generally speaking the stroked motor will have more power than the non-stroked motor.
werd

-peace!
Old 07-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Kwame

werd

-peace!
Old 07-23-2007, 03:17 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The turbo that you select is going to be the limiting factor for HP on any motor. A GT47 turbo can only support X amount of airflow which equals X amount HP whether it is on a 2.0L DSM or a 4.2L stroked VQ or a 450+ cu inch big block chevy. If you put the GT47 on all three motors the resulting maximum RWHP will be roughly the same on all three if the turbo is pushed to its limits. The larger motor will make slightly more HP and a ton more torque of course. The HP difference due to the turbo being in a more efficient range of the map and back pressure being less. Obviously the TQ is greater because the extra displacement gets the turbo spooled quicker at a lower RPM. Therefore a supra with a GT47 and a Z with one will ultimately make about the same HP..... Z making more TQ and I believe it is a bit lighter of a car?? correct?? So the Z should win

Now to the question of how much HP the 6 spd Z tranny can handle?? I know the supra one can take 1500. Anyone know the limits of the Z manual tranny??
Old 07-23-2007, 03:38 PM
r@mon

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
The turbo that you select is going to be the limiting factor for HP on any motor. A GT47 turbo can only support X amount of airflow which equals X amount HP whether it is on a 2.0L DSM or a 4.2L stroked VQ or a 450+ cu inch big block chevy. If you put the GT47 on all three motors the resulting maximum RWHP will be roughly the same on all three if the turbo is pushed to its limits. The larger motor will make slightly more HP and a ton more torque of course. The HP difference due to the turbo being in a more efficient range of the map and back pressure being less. Obviously the TQ is greater because the extra displacement gets the turbo spooled quicker at a lower RPM. Therefore a supra with a GT47 and a Z with one will ultimately make about the same HP..... Z making more TQ and I believe it is a bit lighter of a car?? correct?? So the Z should win

Now to the question of how much HP the 6 spd Z tranny can handle?? I know the supra one can take 1500. Anyone know the limits of the Z manual tranny??
Nowhere nearly as much as the supra tranny. Hope i helped.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:44 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by r@mon
So 700-800?? What I am getting at is what are people going to do with 1000RWHP 6 spd Z's if the trannys break frequently.... GM glides and 400s are nice for drag racing.... but not for daily driving.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:50 PM
failsafe306

I'm guessing that as long as you don't abuse the transmission (drag race, powershift), it should be good up to 1000whp (or more) before something actually breaks just from shear hp alone. It's been proven that a stock Z can tear up a trans, and that a 4.2 stroker with 8xxwhp can do just fine with that same model trans.

Last edited by failsafe306; 07-23-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by r@mon
I find that odd that someone even knows the answer to this question. Since I don't think there are that many people who have achieved these levels of power.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM
thawk408

I broke mine at 600rwhp. 5th and 6th are completely gone.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:13 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by thawk408
thats not the tranny specifically.. thats the ****ty syncro's... that shi~t happens N/A too.. these trannies have to be babbied.. if you shift slower it will last longer.. but it handles the power no problems
Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Nealoc187

Originally Posted by thawk408
Did you get it torn down and inspected? Did you read my post in the thread you posted?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:52 PM
manny007

Originally Posted by doug
thats not the tranny specifically.. thats the ****ty syncro's... that shi~t happens N/A too.. these trannies have to be babbied.. if you shift slower it will last longer.. but it handles the power no problems
My 3rd gear syncro went out at 51K miles N/A......I definitly take it easy now, with or with out FI
Old 07-23-2007, 09:32 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Did you get it torn down and inspected? Did you read my post in the thread you posted?
No I will be tearing it down for inspection this week. Ill go back and look at the thread.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:44 AM
Joeschmoe

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance

Yes exactly, and not only that but by IP or whoever else thinking that the reason why the power is dropping off is because of a restricted inlet (i.e. throttle body, intake manifold, charge piping, whatever..) you're simply wrong. Your power curve will not be dictated by how restrictive something is or something is not, your power curve will be dictated solely by the size of your turbo.. However if you do have a restriction somewhere, it will either stop making power beyond a certain psi, or if you do unrestrict it you'll notice it will take less pressure to get to a certain horsepower. Again it will not dictate your power curve.

thanks
Old 07-24-2007, 05:56 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Joeschmoe
Yes exactly, and not only that but by IP or whoever else thinking that the reason why the power is dropping off is because of a restricted inlet (i.e. throttle body, intake manifold, charge piping, whatever..) you're simply wrong. Your power curve will not be dictated by how restrictive something is or something is not, your power curve will be dictated solely by the size of your turbo.. However if you do have a restriction somewhere, it will either stop making power beyond a certain psi, or if you do unrestrict it you'll notice it will take less pressure to get to a certain horsepower. Again it will not dictate your power curve.

thanks
+1
as a good friend suggested me.... torque converter maybe the issue

Quick Reply: Injected Performance bringing in the first four digit dyno number: 1016rwhp DD