Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

AEM Tru Boost Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 11:08 PM
rr_z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Tru Boost Review

Well i recently just got my aem tru boost on my twin turbo z. for the value this is a really good unit. it hardly spikes and adjusting boost from the cockpit on the gauge. its hard to beat it for the value. but id highly suggest the unit for those who are looking for a cheap alternative.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:07 PM
DMK

Any other reviews or opinions on this unit?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:56 PM
1ZweetZ

Well the name is counter intuitive, becuase it doesn't feedback..I.E. you can'ts et s boost amount, only a duty cylce, so in the winter....look out, you'll get more boost. The other thing (other than it's ugly) is that it doesn't display actual manifold pressure, it's gage pressure, so you only display the difference between outside pressure and manifold pressure. Straight duty cycle works well, no hunting, but it's kind of lame in the fact that you can't tell it a boost amount.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:47 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by 1ZweetZ
Well the name is counter intuitive, becuase it doesn't feedback..I.E. you can'ts et s boost amount, only a duty cylce, so in the winter....look out, you'll get more boost. The other thing (other than it's ugly) is that it doesn't display actual manifold pressure, it's gage pressure, so you only display the difference between outside pressure and manifold pressure. Straight duty cycle works well, no hunting, but it's kind of lame in the fact that you can't tell it a boost amount.
I always hear that cold weather=overboost but why? Colder weather only give you a denser air and some pressure drop. This will give you a Leaner A/F so fuel should be adjusted with the denser air coming in. I did a quick search but can't find a real explanation on why overboost on colder weather.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:25 PM
DMK

I think that when the turbo's compress denser air, it creates more pressure than normal.

How does duty cycle work? If I wanted to set it at 8psi, what duty cycle is that?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:23 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

After using this thing........I would reccomend to stay away from it. the two little buttons to change settings are flimsy and cheesy.Navigating through the menus is retarded and changing boost levels quickly is a pain in the ***. Overall I would rather using any of the EBCs out there vs. this one.Ofcourse this is just my opinion.Take care.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:36 PM
1ZweetZ

Originally Posted by DMK
I think that when the turbo's compress denser air, it creates more pressure than normal.

How does duty cycle work? If I wanted to set it at 8psi, what duty cycle is that?
Exactly.... you get to go out and adjust it til you figure out what duty you need...problem is...it's gonn change!...

I also agree....it's cheesey.... made as cheap as possible.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:58 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn, i was just about to pick one up. any other suggestions?? i plan on only using this for the summer, until i get my build next winter
Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 PM
fklentz

I've been running it for 5 months, most of everything said is true. When the engine is cold it will boost higher than set pressure, once warmed up it's been pretty much accurate for me. The initial setup asks for the maximum boost pressure, I set it for 15 PSI, it also asks for spring pressure which I set at 7 for the JWT. Then it allows for two boost settings A & B, I have A set at 9 and B is at 11 and then I also have OFF that gives me 6.5 to 7 PSI. It also has a SCRAMBLE setting that has a timer that is user selectable that will let it run at 100% duty cycle for what ever seconds you set.

Once you get it set it will be very close to what you set it at but I've found not exact but I've always been less than 1 psi, and even closer when fully warmed up. The duty cycle is pretty easy once I figured it out. If you set max boost for 10 psi then duty cycle at 99% then the boost should be close to 10 PSI. I have my max boost set ay 15 PSI and my A setting duty cycle at 67 and it boosts 9 PSI with the B setting set at 76 duty cycle and get a consistent 11 to 11.4 boost pressure.

The buttons are a pain, small and they need a lot of pressure so it hurts the finger tips, switching settings takes too long or at least longer than it should, the dial led's should be made to light up the whole area of the sweep and not just where the pressure is at, but it works for me, fits well into an already crowded dash.