Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: If had money, Turbo for Z or ZO6 down payement?
Turbo The Z
47.42%
Put it towards a Vette
37.32%
Neither, save money for different car
15.26%
Voters: 426. You may not vote on this poll

If had money, Turbo for Z or ZO6 down payement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:05 PM
Tubbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
I took me like 20 seconds to get out of a lotus exige... I'm 6'2" 250lbs..

Overall, I think it's very little car for the money you pay.

Well, Jesus... you're huge. On the contrary, though, I think it's a great car for the money.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:08 PM
HDPDZO6

Originally Posted by Tubbs
Well, Jesus... you're huge. On the contrary, though, I think it's a great car for the money.
I like the Lotus, just wouldn't be practical for me as a DD. One of the main reasons is I have to carry alot of work crap around (tac gear bag, patrol bag, EMT kit, rifle case, etc.). It was a tight fit with the 350Z and fits easily in the vette (huge trunk space, considering).
Old 08-08-2007, 02:52 PM
JCSVT

I'd probably just buy a used C6 Z06 and do some N/A mods. At the shop I worked at, $4500 would get you all of the N/A boltons and would reliably put down 490/470 on the dyno. A mild heads/cam package would do 550/500 but that's another $5K. By then you should be trapping 130+mph in the quarter....

They are out there too. We cranked out 3 H/C Z06s in one week at one point this summer.

Last edited by JCSVT; 08-08-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by HDPD350Z
I like the Lotus, just wouldn't be practical for me as a DD. One of the main reasons is I have to carry alot of work crap around (tac gear bag, patrol bag, EMT kit, rifle case, etc.).

lol. well ya.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Get the Z 06, they run high 10' stock with DR's, and a warrenty
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 PM
ZMotegi53

So far the upgrades to the Z are very expensive, it actually might be cheaper in the long run to get a Zo6, only would need exhaust/cams to be satisfied(Maybe Not, nobody ever is). Back when I had a TransAm it didnt cost nearly as much...Times have changed, who knows though...Z is a sexy car. Should not have gotten the base though I guess,wanting leather seats as well.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:26 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove a friends new Vette (non Z06 but has headers, exhaust and tune ) last week, and was really impressed with what GM has done with the fit, finish and ride... Still not sure I would ever buy one, too mid life crisis stereotype of a car....

Last edited by Philthy; 08-10-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by George@GTM
You can get a used C6 vette for around 40k or less, slap a APS TT kit on that and a couple of supporting mods and you are at 550rwhp, Sounds good to me

This is if you like the vette, I still rather have my TT G35C over a Vette anyday. Not to mention I don't know of many vettes that will be able to hang

-George
GT Motorsports
can you really get a vette for 40k or less? The markup on options sends most sales prices intothe 50's for that car.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Or, just sell the slower-than-a-snail 350Z, and get a C6 Z06 then dump a S/C on that bad boy
Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by Vash350Z
There are like 5 cars at that level of performance, so yes, a ZO6 would destroy many TT Z's.

Originally Posted by DDS_RACER
....like 5 cars??

Sam did 42 APS kits in the last year alone. Many, many, many, many members (as in more than 5) own Z's with TT's on built engines that can kill a stock Z06 (2006 model and above) on standard APS and Greddy kits.

Something tells me a kill story would not be enough for you. Therefore, I will prove it mathematically. In a thread I created a couple of weeks ago, I had discussed with Gurgen the necessary power goals a 350z would need to beat a ZO6. His response:

"Those things [Z06's] have 445 hp/torque at the wheels, roughly, and weigh 3150 lbs...so that means they have a power-to-weight ratio of 7.1 lbs/hp. Let's be conservative and assume, and this is not necessarily the case, that the Z06 is better geared for a longer (15+ second) race, requiring you to have about 10% more power than him to safely beat him (with our presumably poorer gear ratios -- so this is worst case scenario). So, with the Z's 3339 lbs weight and the desired power to weight ratio of 7.1-10%= 6.4lbs/hp , you will need 3339/6.4= 521hp at the wheels. As simple as that. Now, that assumes a stock Z06."

Plenty of members on this forum (again, as in more than 5) are safely making 521 whp. Perhaps you should have done your research before showing your ignorance.

You should be more realistic (nothing pesonal )

Out of 10 FI Z's, how many really put down that much whp? And how many have the ideal gearing for such power?

I would say for every 10 FI 350Z's, probably 1 at most have the potential to outrun a stock C6 Z06; these things can do low 11's, high 10's, on just slicks in ideal conditions.

Sure, you can mod any car to be faster than another car, including a C6 Z06. But its not going to be an easy task.

The C6 Z06 was made in stock form for such acceleration & speed.

Last edited by skaterbasist; 08-10-2007 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:40 PM
ZMotegi53

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Or, just sell the slower-than-a-snail 350Z, and get a C6 Z06 then dump a S/C on that bad boy
Its true, z seemed fast in beginning, was driving a truck for 2 years still relatively fast,now I feel and know its slow campared to my old 02 TransAm or old vette I do hate to say . Wish someone would have told me before I got it, to bad at least its the best looking car out there for the price.

Last edited by ZMotegi53; 08-12-2007 at 10:45 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:53 AM
Mamounas123

Save ur money and get a used 06 z06. One of my friends dad has one and i love it. stock With drag radials he ran 11.1. Much more ptoential with that car goin na of course. But with any car you gotta pay to play.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:33 AM
Mid117

Originally Posted by ZMotegi53
I told myself I would save up know for a turbo kit for my current Z or put it towards a down payement towards a new or used corvette zo6. ****ing tough choice, but I think after saving my money and after school it would be nice to have a vette personally. Lots of people here have fantastic setups, would be great to say you have a turbo etc. but my car might be too old by then, its an 04. Lets hear what you think, faster more appealing Z or trademark power of Corvettes?
I have the same exact thoughts...

I'd opt for the Z06 since you dont have to worry about blowing your motor....Z's need f/i to get any big power. Do heads/cams/bolt-ons and you're set with the Z06.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:01 PM
DDS_RACER

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I would say for every 10 FI 350Z's, probably 1 at most have the potential to outrun a stock C6 Z06.
Is this line supposed to be funny!?

Assuming your guess was validated through an accurate pole, it would only hold true with regards to FI 350z's WITHOUT forged engines. I have defined and stated numerous times already, we are basing this discussion around TT 350z's with BUILT engines.

It's the only way a 350z can beat a Z06, duh!

BTW, where did you get your 1 in 10 result from? Did you in fact take a poll or a random sampling? Have you ever taken a stat course before....probably not b/c if you did you would know better then to announce something that isn't backed with fact. You would also know that alot of time and money goes into getting accurate statistics which are derived from complex probability formulas, expensive poles, distribution/sampling, and techniques for the collection and analysis of data. In other words, your 1 in 10 guess is really pretty hysterical. It's not what you think, it's what you can prove.

Out of 10 FI Z's, how many really put down that much whp?
WE HAVE ALREADY ESTABLISHED THIS. A twin turbo 350z on a built engine can definitely make over 520 whp (on high-boost) and beat up a Z06. I'm not concerned with how many Z's you think a z06 can beat. I'm trying to inform the OP of the potential he has with his car so that during his decision-making he can weigh all his options. And the fact that only a handful of Z's can beat a Z06 is actually advantageous for us... since the Z is looked upon as the underdog we have the element of surprise going in.

You should be more realistic.
I am being realistic. To think that a 350z with $25-30k in pure racing mods will not outperform a stock Z06 is entirely unrealistic.

these things can do low 11's, high 10's, on just slicks in ideal conditions.
You're changing the topic -- the stock Z06 has been emphasized this whole time. Too many variables once you start adding in what a modded Z06 can do. That is a separate discussion all together.

And how many have the ideal gearing for such power?
We accounted for this in the equation (~10%). You obviously did not read very carefully.

Sure, you can mod any car to be faster than another car, including a C6 Z06. But its not going to be an easy task.
Never said it would be an easy task. But then again that's why God created reputable shops like GTM and Forged.

Last edited by DDS_RACER; 08-16-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:25 PM
ZMotegi53

Nicely put btw, this comes down to money and what you like, personally for me with a used z06 I will save some green with warranty but again the 350z can be made into a monster that can outrun a vette, it could be easily done with the money to back it up. However, I just dont know if I could risk blowing the engine with the cost and time involved. As stated in 2 years or so when graduated, it might be more of a possibility because no car payments, its payed off in january 09 and a car thats up to my standards with the mods would be nice as well. Remember though it was stated that a turbo z, maybe 10k invested for the kit and thats it or a down payement for a z06 that will be stock, minus exhaust etc...with no worries. Its still debatable and is a tough choice for people to consider

Last edited by ZMotegi53; 08-17-2007 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:23 PM
DDS_RACER

ZMotegi,

If it were me, and I only had 10K to work with I would get the Z06. Like I said above, to do the 350z right, you would need $25-30K (35K to destroy pretty much most cars).

And don't even think about FI without a built engine....that's a recipe for a ticking time bomb.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:37 PM
DDS_RACER

Originally Posted by Philthy
too mid life crisis stereotype of a car....
+1

Plus I've heard females say that vette drivers are DQ - DISQUALIFIED from dating!!

Last edited by DDS_RACER; 08-17-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:40 PM
ZMotegi53

Originally Posted by DDS_RACER
+1

Plus I've heard females say that vette drivers are DQ - DISQUALIFIED from dating!!
It does have some sterotypes but not as much as say a viper etc... although every sportscar does.....and great quote btw Ill remember that one, but if you look young or are young, this rule shouldnt apply and only adds to the meaner that you like muscle cars like the vette and its worth it to you
Old 08-19-2007, 01:12 PM
Grey Ghost

after reading all 4 pages of this, the only thing that I would suggest you do:
Instead of getting anything new, whether its a tt kit for the z, a Z06, or some other car; Pay off any debt you have.....

because in the long run when you have no worries about any other payments/ monkeys on your back, you'll have a much better time enjoying the things you want and with that goes a long way because you'll be a much happier person overall than having to worry about a car payment, bills, CC for the mods you bought etc.....

i;ve been through this route once before and if i couldve done it differently, i would stayed focus on paying off my debt than adding to it by buying another car. I bought an FC RX-7 and spent $20k on a fully built N/A 3-rotor and the total cost of the project when it was done was around $50k.
I enjoyed it for the time being, but not as enjoyable as it wouldve been if i didnt have things to pay off such as a previous car. I ended up selling it to an individual from Austrailia who knew the engine builder. i broke even.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:50 AM
DuMA_

Honestly if you can afford it I would go w/ the Z06, but only do it if you can afford it comfortably. If you can then get the Z06, and FI 350Z is nice fun but it is push to the limit. You will have to constantly maintain it and keep it running while the Z06 is stock. I highly doubt a 500+ HP 350Z could be a DD while the Z06 can. I think the Z06 gets like 16 / 27 MPG, thats pretty amazing for 500 BHP car.

Quick Reply: If had money, Turbo for Z or ZO6 down payement?