Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:44 AM
skn5002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full boost.....

So are some of you guys seeing full boost (8psi +) at 4k?? How warmed up is your turbo when you hit boost that early.... does it take 1 pull or a few after everything has warmed up? I have the HKS EVC VI. Boost kicks in at around 3800 rpms but slowly builds to full boost (8psi) at around 5k rpms. Feels a bit like a supercharger. I have begun to look into using the functions of the EVC but it is a bit confusing.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by skn5002
So are some of you guys seeing full boost (8psi +) at 4k?? How warmed up is your turbo when you hit boost that early.... does it take 1 pull or a few after everything has warmed up? I have the HKS EVC VI. Boost kicks in at around 3800 rpms but slowly builds to full boost (8psi) at around 5k rpms. Feels a bit like a supercharger. I have begun to look into using the functions of the EVC but it is a bit confusing.
This depend on what gear. The heat issue is only on startup where the car is sitting for overnight. On the street it is not an issue since once you are driving the turbo remain hot. The boost issue is dependent on what gear are we talking about. on 4th gear and higher then yes you will see 8psi at 4k rpm. With a good EBC then I dont see why you wont hit that earlier. With my crappy Utec BCS I hit 8psi@4300rpm on 3rd gear, 8psi@3800rpm on 4th gear and 3300rpm on 5th gear. Play with the settings on you EVC because you should be able to hit 8psi easy with that.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Boozt

I've got a new grimlin since the new motor install.....the alarm on the STS oil pump keeps beeping at me over bumps and hard braking. I think it is just a loose connection but I can't find it. Any ideas???
Old 08-17-2009, 10:57 AM
WASHWIZ

Originally Posted by Boozt
I've got a new grimlin since the new motor install.....the alarm on the STS oil pump keeps beeping at me over bumps and hard braking. I think it is just a loose connection but I can't find it. Any ideas???
Check the connections on the alarm. They may be coming in contact with something metal behind the dash. I had to put electrical tape around the connections.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Boozt

Originally Posted by WASHWIZ
Check the connections on the alarm. They may be coming in contact with something metal behind the dash. I had to put electrical tape around the connections.
Will do...thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:35 AM
Boozt

ok...this damn thing is still chirping away at me over bumbs in the road. I have changed out the relays...insulated and tied down the alarm...checked everything I can think of. I still acts like a loose connection or short somewhere as it only chirps on bumps. Last week when I washed the car it stayed on continous until the car dried out the next morning then went back to chirping again. Any other ideas out there???
Old 08-19-2009, 01:10 PM
athenG

Anyone went from Test Pipe to HFC? I'm planning to switch over to HFC to reduce the noise especially on startup. The bottom line I moving to a condo-townhouse and I'm afraid my neighbor will kill if when they hear how loud my car is.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by athenG
Anyone went from Test Pipe to HFC? I'm planning to switch over to HFC to reduce the noise especially on startup. The bottom line I moving to a condo-townhouse and I'm afraid my neighbor will kill if when they hear how loud my car is.
I never had TP's but the HFC's sound great....still a little on the loud side though.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:08 AM
athenG

I never had TP's but the HFC's sound great....still a little on the loud side though.
I guess I just need to find it the hard way. I'm just afraid that the HFC wont hold up and destroy my turbo.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Boozt

I guess I just need to find it the hard way. I'm just afraid that the HFC wont hold up and destroy my turbo.
Thats a legit concern.....I blew out my stock cats but was lucky in that the turbo was not damaged othe than a small nick in the fan blade. I switched to the steel HFC.....hopefully will last longer.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Mike_G

I had mine do that.
The wire that ties into the fuse box/relay panel by the firewall was loose.
Broke out the solder no more issues ..
Old 08-24-2009, 06:23 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by Mike_G
I had mine do that.
The wire that ties into the fuse box/relay panel by the firewall was loose.
Broke out the solder no more issues ..
I messed arround with the same wire.....no alarm for 4 days and counting now.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 PM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Berk metallic HFC's with the stock exhaust and it was loud as all hell still. There was no way for me to baby it through my neighborhood. If you're looking to go quiet I don't think HFC's would help much at all. Best bet is to do something like goosegoose did.

Speaking of exhaust, I have to figure out where I have a rattle type sound. It happens when I take off somewhat slow and just start to hear the turbo spool, but I think it's around the same RPM every time. I even swapped out the y-pipe thinking it was a heat shield. I'm just afraid it has something to do with the turbo itself.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 AM
GBoger

Originally Posted by JonnyC
I had Berk metallic HFC's with the stock exhaust and it was loud as all hell still. There was no way for me to baby it through my neighborhood. If you're looking to go quiet I don't think HFC's would help much at all. Best bet is to do something like goosegoose did.

Speaking of exhaust, I have to figure out where I have a rattle type sound. It happens when I take off somewhat slow and just start to hear the turbo spool, but I think it's around the same RPM every time. I even swapped out the y-pipe thinking it was a heat shield. I'm just afraid it has something to do with the turbo itself.
a birdie told me to tell you to check the heat shield above the turbo...
Old 08-26-2009, 05:12 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by JonnyC

That's how I realized my turbo went bad......It didn't do it at idle, started around 1500 rpm but went away with boost. The fan blades were hitting the side of the housing. I blew my motor all to hell at the track prior to this so my turbo had an excuse.....I kind-of doubt yours went bad but its worth checking out. Jack up the back end and get on a creeper under the turbo and have a buddy hit the offending RPM....you'll know right away if it's the turbo. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:06 PM
GBoger

That's how I realized my turbo went bad......It didn't do it at idle, started around 1500 rpm but went away with boost. The fan blades were hitting the side of the housing. I blew my motor all to hell at the track prior to this so my turbo had an excuse.....I kind-of doubt yours went bad but its worth checking out. Jack up the back end and get on a creeper under the turbo and have a buddy hit the offending RPM....you'll know right away if it's the turbo. Good luck.
I seriously think you should look at the heat shield if you don't have any reason to suspect the turbo being damaged. The turbo is mounted very close to the heatshield and sometimes if its not "bent" at the right angle it barely touches the turbo and will cause a sound that you are describing.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:26 PM
JonnyC

Oh crap, that's not comforting. It's not the heat shield, as everything is out of the way. I'm not sure that I can reproduce it not being under load. I don't hear it when revving it, but it's probably because I'm not going into boost. I'll have to find a way to figure this out. I ordered the kit just over 1 year ago, so there probably goes my warranty if something is bad. Maybe I'll just have to unbolt the turbo and check it out.

By the way, I finally made a video...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KVPR79WzkY0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KVPR79WzkY0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-27-2009, 07:32 PM
mcook41

Hey Jonny C. How you like the sts system you have had it for about a year now haven you? Still loving it? Im looking at a STS set up or powerlab, JWT.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 PM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by mcook41
Hey Jonny C. How you like the sts system you have had it for about a year now haven you? Still loving it? Im looking at a STS set up or powerlab, JWT.
go powerlab
Old 10-10-2009, 11:05 AM
rawley_12003

alright guys i want to go FI and was looking at the sts turbo kit for the 350z and from seeing all your problems with the sts kit is it worth it i have all basic boltons on my z its a base model.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread