Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:13 PM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe giving us the list of bolt-on you have or planning to get will be helpful.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:43 PM
GBoger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did we ever get any updates on goose's car?
Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by GBoger
did we ever get any updates on goose's car?
What kind of update would you like?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 AM
Boozt

Hey guys...I'm confused on my upgrades and some advice. I'm ready to increase power but not sure how to do it right. I can run 15 psi but don't have the injectors to support it. I am worried about the egt's the Z puts out as I can't afford another engine failure right now. I have about $600 to play with right now so here on my thoughts.
1st- 50/50 water meth with increasing boost on the 440 injectors and see how she runs out.....2nd- add 650 injectors (when cash allows) and retune on the utec to include the watermeth and more fuel. I've been doing the research and think I may be happy with 440's and 50/50 watermeth for good safe power.
input glady accepted......sorry for being a weenie about this. I just don't want to make any wrong moves right now and I am willing to take it slow to do it right.

Side note- I have debated putting the car up for sale and starting a whole new project as well.........but am dying over the amount of $$$$$ I will lose in the Z.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:10 AM
streetzlegend

Originally Posted by Boozt
Hey guys...I'm confused on my upgrades and some advice. I'm ready to increase power but not sure how to do it right. I can run 15 psi but don't have the injectors to support it. I am worried about the egt's the Z puts out as I can't afford another engine failure right now. I have about $600 to play with right now so here on my thoughts.
1st- 50/50 water meth with increasing boost on the 440 injectors and see how she runs out.....2nd- add 650 injectors (when cash allows) and retune on the utec to include the watermeth and more fuel. I've been doing the research and think I may be happy with 440's and 50/50 watermeth for good safe power.
input glady accepted......sorry for being a weenie about this. I just don't want to make any wrong moves right now and I am willing to take it slow to do it right.

Side note- I have debated putting the car up for sale and starting a whole new project as well.........but am dying over the amount of $$$$$ I will lose in the Z.
Well I am currently on 440cc injectors, at 15psi and water/meth injection. You should not use the water/meth to make up for the lack of fuel, thats a bad way of setting things up. How I have my injectors keeping up is by having a higher base fuel pressure and 1:1 regulator, I think my base fuel pressure is about 55 or so. Most important thing, other than fuel delivery ofcourse is your timing. You have to make sure ur timing is right to keep them EGT's down and keep away from knocking, the meth/water will help alot but its not a miracle either.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:25 PM
GBoger

Originally Posted by goosegoose
What kind of update would you like?
what is your current setup and how is it running and what are you making power wise?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:05 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by streetzlegend
Well I am currently on 440cc injectors, at 15psi and water/meth injection. You should not use the water/meth to make up for the lack of fuel, thats a bad way of setting things up. How I have my injectors keeping up is by having a higher base fuel pressure and 1:1 regulator, I think my base fuel pressure is about 55 or so. Most important thing, other than fuel delivery ofcourse is your timing. You have to make sure ur timing is right to keep them EGT's down and keep away from knocking, the meth/water will help alot but its not a miracle either.
+1

There is no way in hell the 440cc even with Water/Meth will support 15psi unless you have a FMU to raise your fuel pressure. Do you have the 440cc DW that came with it? Check if it has the bosh core coz if it is then you are really running just 400cc. You can either get a fuel return and raise the fuel pressure or a cheaper route and get a FMU to raise your fuel pressure. How's your timing map? You maybe running to conservative and that is why your EGT is high. To much timing retard can cause high EGT.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Boozt

Originally Posted by athenG
+1

There is no way in hell the 440cc even with Water/Meth will support 15psi unless you have a FMU to raise your fuel pressure. Do you have the 440cc DW that came with it? Check if it has the bosh core coz if it is then you are really running just 400cc. You can either get a fuel return and raise the fuel pressure or a cheaper route and get a FMU to raise your fuel pressure. How's your timing map? You maybe running to conservative and that is why your EGT is high. To much timing retard can cause high EGT.
Sorry...I nedd to clarify
I want to run the 440's (I have the DW's) with the watermeth and shoot for increased boost (10psi max) and decide if I am happy with the power output. If not....I will upgrade to the bigger injectors to support 15 psi with the watermeth and an updated tune. My current A/F under full throttle-boost is around 11:1 to 11.4:1 depending on gear etc. I am running a MBC for now at 6-7 peak boost. MY EGT's run at 1300 deg without boost-6th gear-70mph. I am running the Utec with a stock ecu. Thanks for the help
Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 PM
athenG

Sorry...I nedd to clarify
I want to run the 440's (I have the DW's) with the watermeth and shoot for increased boost (10psi max) and decide if I am happy with the power output. If not....I will upgrade to the bigger injectors to support 15 psi with the watermeth and an updated tune. My current A/F under full throttle-boost is around 11:1 to 11.4:1 depending on gear etc. I am running a MBC for now at 6-7 peak boost. MY EGT's run at 1300 deg without boost-6th gear-70mph. I am running the Utec with a stock ecu. Thanks for the help

Ok, since you are in CA then you might get away with it since you will not need that extra fuel in the Winter. Do you have the injector flow test that came with your injector? I monitor my IDC closely and so far so good and I have been running 90%-94% IDC close to redline for over to years now. I dont redline my car every minute so running low 90% IDC for a short period of time isn't that bad in my book. The bottom line is go set your boost to 10psi and see what is your IDC. If you are below 95% at redline then you might be good but there is always a risk when you run that high.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
streetzlegend

Originally Posted by athenG
Ok, since you are in CA then you might get away with it since you will not need that extra fuel in the Winter. Do you have the injector flow test that came with your injector? I monitor my IDC closely and so far so good and I have been running 90%-94% IDC close to redline for over to years now. I dont redline my car every minute so running low 90% IDC for a short period of time isn't that bad in my book. The bottom line is go set your boost to 10psi and see what is your IDC. If you are below 95% at redline then you might be good but there is always a risk when you run that high.
yea I agree, before i raised my base fuel pressure my injector duty cycle was at 80%. Since I increased the pressure, i now have lower duty cycles.

Also as stated above as well, if timing is too conservative you will run into high egt's, and in my case that low timing can actually cause misfires. Ever since I raised my timing my car has been misfire-free.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:31 AM
Boozt

Well, I got impatient and turned up the boost to play yesterday. I'm running 9psi at peak with 11.4:1 AF's. No knock or ping detected and car is VERY fast. No increase in EGT's either. In hindsight......I kinda wish I has stayed with stock compression levels (I droped to 8.8:1 for increased boost) and just stayed at 10psi or less. I notice a drop in bottom end torque/response..........Car feels more like a two stroke with good-decent power off the bottom that explodes with RPM. I think I will wait on water-meth unless I get a major itch and do it myself....my shop want's close to $800.00 for a wastermist system and install. I've seen a complete AEM system and can do my own install for less than 350.00. Any recommendation of water-meth systems for me out there? Thanks- Jim
Old 10-16-2009, 06:33 AM
goosegoose

Well, I got impatient and turned up the boost to play yesterday. I'm running 9psi at peak with 11.4:1 AF's. No knock or ping detected and car is VERY fast. No increase in EGT's either. In hindsight......I kinda wish I has stayed with stock compression levels (I droped to 8.8:1 for increased boost) and just stayed at 10psi or less. I notice a drop in bottom end torque/response..........Car feels more like a two stroke with good-decent power off the bottom that explodes with RPM. I think I will wait on water-meth unless I get a major itch and do it myself....my shop want's close to $800.00 for a wastermist system and install. I've seen a complete AEM system and can do my own install for less than 350.00. Any recommendation of water-meth systems for me out there? Thanks- Jim
Higher static compression and stock cams seems to work best with the STS systems.

AthenG and I use a simple but solid meth injection system made by RIPP mods. I have mine set to spray a 50/50 solution starting at 10PSI. No complaints so far.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 AM
Boozt

Higher static compression and stock cams seems to work best with the STS systems.

AthenG and I use a simple but solid meth injection system made by RIPP mods. I have mine set to spray a 50/50 solution starting at 10PSI. No complaints so far.
Thanks. I'll check out RIPP.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 AM
athenG

Thanks. I'll check out RIPP.
Most Water/Meth kit are the same except high end one like an Aquamist and use the same style. You can check AEM, CoolingMist, Snow and they are all pretty much the same. The only thing I liked about the Ripp kit is that the nozzle is SS which last longer with meth.

You can look for Ross (He's the owner) and tell him Arvin with the G35 sent you. Also ask for a bigger nozzle because the standard kit come with a small one.
http://www.rippmods.com/ProductDetai...Show=TechSpecs

I think the AEM is pretty good so if you want just get that.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:41 PM
streetzlegend

I agree, any injection kit will work, 95% of them use the exact same pump. I went with coolingmist, simple on and off kit not progressive or anything (I dont see the need for progressive to be honest), I think it was about 200 bucks or so, iv been using it for almost 3 years and in the 1st year I was none-intercooled so i was depending 100% on it, it has not failed me to this date, just a cracked line which sprayed meth/water all over engine bay but thats my fault for using home depot plastic line.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 AM
Boozt

Z was up for sale...but I missed out the car I wanted to buy...so I'll keep her for now. I am going Osiris in Nov but ran into a snag.....Does the STS kit have 2 fuel pumps (one in tank and one under hood that kicks in with boost?) I didn't intstall the kit.....don't know if the Osiris can control this or not?. Any help out there? -Jim
Old 10-27-2009, 05:27 AM
goosegoose

Z was up for sale...but I missed out the car I wanted to buy...so I'll keep her for now. I am going Osiris in Nov but ran into a snag.....Does the STS kit have 2 fuel pumps (one in tank and one under hood that kicks in with boost?) I didn't intstall the kit.....don't know if the Osiris can control this or not?. Any help out there? -Jim
I think there's only one fuel pump in the tank.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 AM
GBoger

I think there's only one fuel pump in the tank.

+1 only 1 fuel pump
Old 10-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Boozt

Thanks guys. I'm jumping into the Osiris......tired of thowing codes everytime I go racing with the utec.....BTW came in second place at last AutoX by .01.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 AM
goosegoose

Out of curiosity, is anyone running a non-stock compression ratio?

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread