Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

wow 80+ pages in an hr and 20 mins.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:50 AM
Boozt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok boys the Uprev flash is done and I am a happy camper. EIP Racing in San Jose did the tune on their mustang dyno (I know, mustangs are HP heartbreakers) but I must admit my car has never been faster or pulled harder than it does right now.
Final numbers are 322 RWHP with 333 ft lbs TQ at 8 psi on 440 injectors.
I kept the boost low as I don't need another engine failure right now.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
sold my APS ST a few months ago for personal reasons. However Just came across BNIB STS for very good money. I already know the opinions of Daniel and Bobby at CIN since they back this turbo kit and i def trust Bobbys opinion. So to the OGs that have had STS installed for a while whats ur thoughts? still happy?
Still have my kit and hasn’t given me any problem. It really depend how much are you going to pay and how much you can afford. If the price CIN is giving you is close to a PowerLab kit then no doubt a Powerlab is going to be a better choice for a single. If you do get a good deal then STS is not bad. The good thing is that CINMotorsports know the STS like the back of their hand so any issue you have will be resolved very quickly.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Boozt
Ok boys the Uprev flash is done and I am a happy camper. EIP Racing in San Jose did the tune on their mustang dyno (I know, mustangs are HP heartbreakers) but I must admit my car has never been faster or pulled harder than it does right now.
Final numbers are 322 RWHP with 333 ft lbs TQ at 8 psi on 440 injectors.
I kept the boost low as I don't need another engine failure right now.
That low compression hurt your number... You have a built motor so you can definitely run more than 8psi but your injector will need an upgrade. What turbo did you go with again? I hope not the 60-0 trim because that is to small.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 AM
goosegoose

sold my APS ST a few months ago for personal reasons. However Just came across BNIB STS for very good money. I already know the opinions of Daniel and Bobby at CIN since they back this turbo kit and i def trust Bobbys opinion. So to the OGs that have had STS installed for a while whats ur thoughts? still happy?
If you have a stock motor, the STS works well. The kit seems to like higher static compression and stock cams.

If you plan on building your motor, STS will still work, but my recommendation is to simply go TT if you are already at that level.

From a dependability standpoint, the STS components seem to be pretty solid.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by athenG
That low compression hurt your number... You have a built motor so you can definitely run more than 8psi but your injector will need an upgrade. What turbo did you go with again? I hope not the 60-0 trim because that is to small.
60-1 trim. Seat of the pants "dyno" tells me the car is performing way better than ever.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Boozt
60-1 trim. Seat of the pants "dyno" tells me the car is performing way better than ever.
Ok, that should be good up to 15-17psi.time to get new injectors!!!! Goosegoose has the same turbo.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 AM
WASHWIZ

Like Athen already stated it will depend on how much you get the kit for. I like the STS kit for a stock block but if you want more, which u will, you will have to upgrade the turbo and IC. My G is not my DD and I do not drive it in the rain or other conditions (yes, I’m pu$$y when it comes to my car). Most the problems I’ve encountered w/ mine are not really a fault w/ the kit.

- In the beginning I had some issues w/ STS sending me wrong parts.
- BOV would get stuck closed in temps in the 20’s and lower.
- HFC blew out had to rebuild turbo (under warranty)
- One of my injectors stuck open, DW replaced all six w/ the new style at no cost to me.
- Replaced plugs (made a huge difference, no CEL)
Old 01-06-2010, 01:26 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by WASHWIZ
- In the beginning I had some issues w/ STS sending me wrong parts.
- HFC blew out had to rebuild turbo (under warranty)
- Replaced plugs (made a huge difference, no CEL)
STS gave you warranty on the turbo after blowing your HFC? how many miles you had with the plugs? That is a normal maintenance and I replace them every 10k miles or every year.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 PM
GBoger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a built motor so you can definitely run more than 8psi but your injector will need an upgrade.
You should deffinitely run more boost than that even on a low boost setting. I would do a 12psi and a 15-16psi tune and call it a day.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Boozt

Originally Posted by GBoger
You should deffinitely run more boost than that even on a low boost setting. I would do a 12psi and a 15-16psi tune and call it a day.
I might switch to bigger injectors and more boost in the future....but to be honest, I have a crap load of useable power as it sits. I am looking for a long term reliable car that I can track alot and not constantly stress over breaking stuff or catastophic failure. My Z is no dyno queen......so I am not sweating the lower Mustang numbers. I have some buddies that are real dyno nuts that speculate low 400's RWHP on a dynojet but I really don't care. The car is pulling harder than ever and feels like a factory turbo set-up in terms of response. That is what I was looking for by swithing to the Osiris tune and that is what I got. Thank you Paul at EIP Racing in Milpitas / San Jose area.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
WASHWIZ

STS gave you warranty on the turbo after blowing your HFC? how many miles you had with the plugs? That is a normal maintenance and I replace them every 10k miles or every year.
I believe their was a defect with the turbo from the beginning. When I initially installed the kit it was not making the power and it was smoking a little. When STS inspected the turbo they found that the check valve was not functioning (may have been why it was smoking). As for the plugs, I have 5000 miles on the whole kit. Since I had the new plugs put in I have not had a cel (knock on wood) and it has been over six months since they were installed. Overall I have had a pretty good experience with STS.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Still have my kit and hasn’t given me any problem. It really depend how much are you going to pay and how much you can afford. If the price CIN is giving you is close to a PowerLab kit then no doubt a Powerlab is going to be a better choice for a single. If you do get a good deal then STS is not bad. The good thing is that CINMotorsports know the STS like the back of their hand so any issue you have will be resolved very quickly.
Well the kit is bnib but used. Havnt bought it or anything im jw about this kit. Im not gonna have the need to turn the boost up and crave more power bc its gonna take a miracle for me to go FI to start with(Bad **** keeps happening) And ill have Bobby at CIN install and tune bc hes got great prices and backs everything up. CIN still has the turn key package of STS installed for like 5500 i think. Thats everything that comes with the kit including the tune with him installing.

Originally Posted by goosegoose
If you have a stock motor, the STS works well. The kit seems to like higher static compression and stock cams.

If you plan on building your motor, STS will still work, but my recommendation is to simply go TT if you are already at that level.

From a dependability standpoint, the STS components seem to be pretty solid.
thats what im looking 4
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 AM
athenG

Well the kit is bnib but used. Havnt bought it or anything im jw about this kit. Im not gonna have the need to turn the boost up and crave more power bc its gonna take a miracle for me to go FI to start with(Bad **** keeps happening) And ill have Bobby at CIN install and tune bc hes got great prices and backs everything up. CIN still has the turn key package of STS installed for like 5500 i think. Thats everything that comes with the kit including the tune with him installing.

thats what im looking 4
That is a great price for everything. Like goosegoos said, the kit alone is pretty much very reliable once you have it installed right. I think I'm the last one of all the tester still on stock kit. Goosegoose is longer but he has an upgraded turbo/FMIC. I have yet to replace anything from the original kit including the filter!! lol.. I just clean them every year..
Old 01-07-2010, 05:49 AM
Boozt

That is a great price for everything. Like goosegoos said, the kit alone is pretty much very reliable once you have it installed right. I think I'm the last one of all the tester still on stock kit. Goosegoose is longer but he has an upgraded turbo/FMIC. I have yet to replace anything from the original kit including the filter!! lol.. I just clean them every year..
If I can throw in my two cents......I never found a tune that worked great with the utec.....maybe it was just me. Best thing I've done to date is the Osiris tune. If I did my build again, I would have left the compression at 10:1 with the forged internals and kept boost at 8-10 psi. When I blew up the stock motor (no fault of STS.....high milage motor with many hours of WOT track time and heat) I built with the intent of going big on psi (up to 15) with bigger injectors, etc.........................I can still go there but I still need bigger injectors and a HPX MAF with a another tune (at least another 1k) and I'm tired of droping cash on this toy. Even with the lower compression, my car has never run this good, been so responsive, and pulled so hard as it does right now.......so in the end, my zig zag journey to FI smiles is at it's current end. I think the STS kit is a very good one and it should treat you well. For what it's worth, I has a Vortech charger on this car 2 years back and the qualtiy of the STS kit is FAR SUPERIOR! Good luck
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM
pmohr13

are there any shops in the dc/maryland area that support the sts kit? i'm interested in this kit, but i'd like a local shop that can help work out the bugs that come with going fi.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:36 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by pmohr13
are there any shops in the dc/maryland area that support the sts kit? i'm interested in this kit, but i'd like a local shop that can help work out the bugs that come with going fi.
PM Washwiz because he's in Virgina.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:50 PM
CMyTailsBlink

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my suggestion would be to just drive to charlotte and have Bobby at CIN motorsports do the install. Two reasons this is a good idea, 1: Bobby is the man when it comes to rear mount systems and is awesome awesome builder, and B: if you go to CIN, you might be lucky enough to get an early peek at my new build.
Good luck with whatever you choose and where ever you go. The rear mount Kits are bad *** and can't be truly appreciated until you drive one.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Boozt

Time for the complete updates....It's been a long time but she is finally done.....(altough it's never REALLY done ). As the dust settles on my blown motor and the rebuild the numbers are.......
The NEW.
15K in total rebuild with parts, labor and tune
GTM stage 0 long block with high rev valve springs added
Motordyne plenum spacer
New Garret 60-1 trim turbo
Berkley HFC & XYZ pipe
New CD009 tranny
Koyo "thick" aluminum radiator
New oil cooler
AEM true boost controller (ditched the MBC)
Ditched the UTEC and re-tune with Osiris (Paul at EIP racing in Milpitas CA)

Current specs-
All the above and.....
Light flywheel and 6 puck clutch
Koni Yellows on Eibach pro springs
Hotchkis sways
Wilwood BBK all 4 corners drilled and sloted
BCR harness bar with impact racing 4 points

And the numbers are...
Mustang "heart breaker" dyno
322 RWHP
333 TQ
at 8 psi on 440 DW inectors

Car pulls like a freight train in all gears and runs smooth like a factory turbo car. I'm a happy camper and I am back in action for the 2010 race season
Old 01-12-2010, 01:46 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

I thought a mustang Dyno read high? 320hp 15k wow. Makes me not wanna sell my nitrous kit that cost 300$

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread