Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 AM
Ryank327

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myroncuz
YOU SHOULDNT GET STS CUZ IT SUCKS.. GO GET GREDDY TT.
i thought i was going to be the 1st in hawaii to get this.
Haha you're the one that told me about it, not stuck on it though.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:25 AM
streetzlegend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone ever measured the temperature difference turbos charged air and Pre-intercooler air. To see if the length in piping actually reduces temperature?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:59 PM
GBoger

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Someone should try sticking two turbos back there
maybe someone is...
Old 05-12-2010, 10:17 PM
ITOzann

Have you guys seen this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/350Z-...Q5fAccessories

Old 05-13-2010, 10:41 PM
harvin350z

Default quick question

Hey guys havent been around for a while hope everyone is good. Just a quick question if anyone can help....With my aem tru boost an 8.5 psi spring... in second gear i hit no more then 6 psi and in third gear no more then 8-9 psi and 4th gear goes to 10.5 psi regardless what I set the bc too... (I know a gdbc will help but short on cash right now) I was wondering could it be due to a bad tune>? Iam running stock kit with hks bov aem tru boost (8.5 psi spring) and heat wrapped the exhaust. Should I bother to get it retuned by someone else? My a/f generally sits around 10.8-11.2 in wot because i wanted to run a bit on the safer side. Should I lean out a bit more for more power? Anyone else have a similar problem? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:51 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by harvin350z
Hey guys havent been around for a while hope everyone is good. Just a quick question if anyone can help....With my aem tru boost an 8.5 psi spring... in second gear i hit no more then 6 psi and in third gear no more then 8-9 psi and 4th gear goes to 10.5 psi regardless what I set the bc too... (I know a gdbc will help but short on cash right now) I was wondering could it be due to a bad tune>? Iam running stock kit with hks bov aem tru boost (8.5 psi spring) and heat wrapped the exhaust. Should I bother to get it retuned by someone else? My a/f generally sits around 10.8-11.2 in wot because i wanted to run a bit on the safer side. Should I lean out a bit more for more power? Anyone else have a similar problem? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Your A/F has nothing to do with your boost problem. It may help you spool better by playing with the A/F but not much. remove your BC and just go with a WG and let us know what happen. Check all your vacuum line and make sure they are good. I'm guessing your BC is failing on you. By the way, 10.8 is a little rich in my book. The Riches I'll go is low 11's.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:03 AM
harvin350z

Thanks AthenG! I noticed with the bc off the boost runs lower in gear 1 an 2. It does not go higher then 5psi..weird. But I will re chek the vac lines and will possibly retune on tuesday.I have a feelin ill have to get the apexi inorder to fix this boost problem.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:26 AM
myroncuz

Originally Posted by Ryank327
Haha you're the one that told me about it, not stuck on it though.
oooo!!!!! ya!!!!!!!!!! haha now i remember..

u still wanted a jwt intake and ztube? i might be buying another intake
Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 PM
GBoger

Originally Posted by harvin350z
Thanks AthenG! I noticed with the bc off the boost runs lower in gear 1 an 2. It does not go higher then 5psi..weird. But I will re chek the vac lines and will possibly retune on tuesday.I have a feelin ill have to get the apexi inorder to fix this boost problem.
apexi will hit 10psi in first gear but you MUST get the speed signal hooked up which is a bit of a trick.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:01 AM
athenG

Finally got a chance to replace the STS FMIC with the ARC-made IC that comes with the PE TT. It's wider and taller than the STS IC but it's a Bar/Plate design vs. Tube/Fine that comes with the STS. The actual core size is 22.3" (W) x 10.3" (H) x 2.5" (D). I can’t believe how heavy the STS IC was… I'll post some pix of the inside of both IC but the STS definetly has smaller air passage way vs the PE IC. The overall design of the PE TT look much more efficient than most of the IC I have seen.

At first I was worried about the pressure drop because it is bigger but it's not the case. The IC barely heat up vs. the STS. I did a little driving and I have noticed some spool difference. I haven’t touched my Utec boost mapping and did some driving and the first thing I noticed is that I'm hitting 9psi on my 8psi map. I had to bring down the BCS duty cycle to -10 just to get back to 8psi. I'm also on stock CAT right now so spool is slower but I noticed I'm hitting the same boost/rpm when I had my Test Pipe. I only did a 20 min of driving but I'll try to retune my car again in the next week or two. I'll get a better gauge once I re-tune my car because I already know how the STS react on different load/gear.

I dont have a pix yet of the IC on my car but this is what it look like.

Name:  PE_FMIC.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  42.9 KB
Old 05-24-2010, 08:54 PM
harvin350z

^^^^ Nice AthenG... I got the car turned last week ill post the new dyno when I scan it in... let me know what u think
Old 05-24-2010, 09:05 PM
1GR8350Z

Awesome, keep us updated on the results
Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 PM
harvin350z

Originally Posted by GBoger
apexi will hit 10psi in first gear but you MUST get the speed signal hooked up which is a bit of a trick.
I think this will be my altimate solution for the boost situation. I'll sell the AEM truboost and grab the apexi.. the speed signal wire wont be a problem since my decks vehicle dynamic already hooks up to it. THanks!
Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
athenG

where is the dyno?
Old 06-10-2010, 12:56 AM
rawley_12003

ok guys haven't posted here for a while been saving up for this turbo kit. lot of money for a single turbo lol.. but might be worth it in the end but need to ask how hard is the install for this kit just asking i full bolt ons which parts should i keep and which should i part out here is the list.

i know the intake is out and the exhaust is gone but heres the rest kinetix v+ plenum, ground wires, lightweight pulleys stock size, strup headers, kinetix hfc, jwt clutch and aluminum flywheel, and cobb tuner.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 AM
GBoger

I would lose the plenum and get a spacer, lose the ground wires just for the extra cash and trade the hfc's for some tp's and lose the cobb since you will be going with utec. I don't think anyone has done headers yet with this setup. I've been interested to see how they would do, although i think equal length headers would be best.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:31 AM
rawley_12003

wouldn't the plenum be the same as the spacer anyways? and why swap my hfc for the test pipes? i know antheng told me about the headers that slow my spool up or something like that and what gauges do you recommend i was looking at a fuel press. gauge and a/f gauge, and boost gauge, what do you think. and is it hard to install the kit yourself sts company told me its a full bolt on?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:54 AM
WASHWIZ

Originally Posted by rawley_12003
wouldn't the plenum be the same as the spacer anyways? and why swap my hfc for the test pipes? i know antheng told me about the headers that slow my spool up or something like that and what gauges do you recommend i was looking at a fuel press. gauge and a/f gauge, and boost gauge, what do you think. and is it hard to install the kit yourself sts company told me its a full bolt on?
The HFC's could possibly blow out and destroy your turbo (happened to me). I installed this kit in my garage using jack stands. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined it should not be a problem.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:00 AM
GBoger

Originally Posted by athenG
Finally got a chance to replace the STS FMIC with the ARC-made IC that comes with the PE TT. It's wider and taller than the STS IC but it's a Bar/Plate design vs. Tube/Fine that comes with the STS. The actual core size is 22.3" (W) x 10.3" (H) x 2.5" (D). I can’t believe how heavy the STS IC was… I'll post some pix of the inside of both IC but the STS definetly has smaller air passage way vs the PE IC. The overall design of the PE TT look much more efficient than most of the IC I have seen.

At first I was worried about the pressure drop because it is bigger but it's not the case. The IC barely heat up vs. the STS. I did a little driving and I have noticed some spool difference. I haven’t touched my Utec boost mapping and did some driving and the first thing I noticed is that I'm hitting 9psi on my 8psi map. I had to bring down the BCS duty cycle to -10 just to get back to 8psi. I'm also on stock CAT right now so spool is slower but I noticed I'm hitting the same boost/rpm when I had my Test Pipe. I only did a 20 min of driving but I'll try to retune my car again in the next week or two. I'll get a better gauge once I re-tune my car because I already know how the STS react on different load/gear.

I dont have a pix yet of the IC on my car but this is what it look like.

good to hear.... now just man up and switch back to test pipes and retune and dyno at 9 psi and see if you can hit 400
Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 AM
MI 35th
OGPremierMafia

not to thread jack, but for the $ I would go with Sasha's mid mount kit. Better response, more power, no boost bleeding, second to none customer service. Not to mention he's a Z guy himself.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread