Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 12:17 PM
ekelly36

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IPP and Forged both sell built blocks for around 3k... if you are mechanically inclined you would be able to do it under 4k and then possibly find a used TT for 3-4.... add guages and fuel im sure it is very possible to do under 10k.... The only thing I let anyone do on my car is a tune... and when I boost again I might even try to learn what I can about tuning...
Old 05-04-2010, 12:46 PM
CMyTailsBlink

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To make the power you want to make, you're definitely going to need more than 10K, believe me. Making the "big" power is not cheap by any means. The amount that i spent on my first build, making 624rwhp, on race gas, and now what i've dropped on my second build, is actually quite a bit nauseating. Most people would think i'm mental, or retarded, or both. But hey, its a hobby and a passion, and you truly do need to pay to play. If your serious about making the power, and trust me it is worth it in the end, then just keep saving and planning. Research as much as you possibly can because things are always changing. When i first started my original build, it was widely believed in the the Z/G community that to make over 500hp, the block needed to be sleeved. Then as my build came to be completed, there were a bunch of guys that were having major issues with sleeved motors. Just keep current on whats going on in the mods world and spend wisely.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Ryank327

Originally Posted by athenG
/\ I was thinking more of a stroker block plus install. You can get a stage 2 long block from importpartpro for 5,650.00 + maybe 2-3K for install and other misc...

I was actually just looking at that. Theres a guy here that has done a lot of work on the Z platform and he owned the Z with the fastest lap time at the track here on island when we had one. I was gonna talk to him and see about how much I would be looking at for him to do a similar built block like that one.

I definitely plan on doing a lot of the work myself, I have access to an auto skills hobby shop on base here that is decked out with a huge tool selection and a ton of lifts. I'll also be purchasing at least one extra longblock, will probably be my first purchase so I have a backup.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Corbic

Originally Posted by Ryank327
To be honest I'm really starting to see that, it's disheartening, I'm really getting the sticker shock of moving out of the Honda scene, all worth it though. I even picked up a 2nd job to fund the build.
What sticker shock? i would argue the Honda Scene is a sticker shock!

People are still paying 4k for a freaking B18C motor? What about over 2k for a B16A?

A turbo is a turbo, emanage is emanage, a tial waste gate is a tial waste gate.

I'm sure a set of Z pistons and Rods actually costs the same as a set of pistons and rods for a K20, even though you get two more of them. If you can't do your own labor, they a rebuild is going to cost roughly the same as well.

700whp Honda's are not built on McDonald's wage budgets.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Ryank327

Originally Posted by Corbic
What sticker shock? i would argue the Honda Scene is a sticker shock!

People are still paying 4k for a freaking B18C motor? What about over 2k for a B16A?

A turbo is a turbo, emanage is emanage, a tial waste gate is a tial waste gate.

I'm sure a set of Z pistons and Rods actually costs the same as a set of pistons and rods for a K20, even though you get two more of them. If you can't do your own labor, they a rebuild is going to cost roughly the same as well.

700whp Honda's are not built on McDonald's wage budgets.
For 10 grand I could build a 500whp honda including the price of the car. For 10 grand you might be able to get 500whp out of a G35, not including the price of the car.

Don't really care to argue about it, but the wide range of used parts available in the honda scene is what makes it affordable.

Now on topic:

So I've been offered a used STS kit at a great price. But one thing that still bothers me is how everyone says this kit is very limited. With a built block and the right supporting mods I don't see how this kit couldn't make 700whp+ with a new turbo, injectors and IC.

Are there other limitations of this I am missing?

I just finished reading through this WHOLE thread today
Old 05-08-2010, 07:53 PM
athenG

So I've been offered a used STS kit at a great price. But one thing that still bothers me is how everyone says this kit is very limited. With a built block and the right supporting mods I don't see how this kit couldn't make 700whp+ with a new turbo, injectors and IC.

You can make 700+whp but the power band will suck especially without a bigger displacement motor. I think 500whp is manageable but above 600whp it's going to be laggy on the street...

Here, look at CMyTailsBlink dyno at 600whp. Remember this is with a 3.8L motor. CMyTailsBlink's car is being rebuild and it is supposed to be a bigger build. I'm curious to see the power curve on his new setup.

https://my350z.com/forum/attachments...6-tune-sts.jpg
Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Corbic

For 10 grand I could build a 500whp honda including the price of the car. For 10 grand you might be able to get 500whp out of a G35, not including the price of the car.

Don't really care to argue about it, but the wide range of used parts available in the honda scene is what makes it affordable.
Ugh welcome to owning a car made in the last 20 years.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Corbic

Now on topic:

I think you completely fail to understand the purpose of this setup.

This is not a "big power ticket", nor is it the most efficient setup ever.

The purpose of these remote-mount-turbos is to provide an easy, affordable FI solution for vehicles with cramped engine bays. This is why such kits are popular on Camaro's, Corvettes and S197 Mustangs (Fox-based have fuel tanks in the way).

These vehicles also have gobs of torque readily available, so any lag as of the result of the set up is a non-issue. An LS1 can never be "laggy" with a turbo.

If you are serious about +700whp (which I doubt) this is not the direction for you. Also, saying "I can get it for cheap, so can I upgrade the turbo, IC and Injectors?"... umm.. what are you getting then? A few bent pieces of pipe as the rest of the kit is worthless?
Old 05-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Ryank327

You can make 700+whp but the power band will suck especially without a bigger displacement motor. I think 500whp is manageable but above 600whp it's going to be laggy on the street...

Here, look at CMyTailsBlink dyno at 600whp. Remember this is with a 3.8L motor. CMyTailsBlink's car is being rebuild and it is supposed to be a bigger build. I'm curious to see the power curve on his new setup.

Yea I've read through his build a few times along with probably every thread on these forums related to the STS, my eyes are killing me haha.

I know there will be some lag compared to the stock kit/stock block setup, mainly because the turbo they put in the kit it's pretty small and puny imo. It is great for the intentions of the kit though.

There was a lot left on that GT67 also, I don't know the details of his build but I don't see why it wasn't possible to get 600-650 on pump gas unless he was just being cautious.

I may be wrong, I'm still researching compressor maps and re-reading my corky bell book. We'll see but I know this system is capable of 700whp with the right combo I just don't think anyone has found that combination or pushed their motors hard enough yet since most people buy this kit for it's stock reliability.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Ryank327

The purpose of these remote-mount-turbos is to provide an easy, affordable FI solution for vehicles with cramped engine bays. This is why such kits are popular on Camaro's, Corvettes and S197 Mustangs (Fox-based have fuel tanks in the way).

These vehicles also have gobs of torque readily available, so any lag as of the result of the set up is a non-issue. An LS1 can never be "laggy" with a turbo.

If you are serious about +700whp (which I doubt) this is not the direction for you. Also, saying "I can get it for cheap, so can I upgrade the turbo, IC and Injectors?"... umm.. what are you getting then? A few bent pieces of pipe as the rest of the kit is worthless?
I never said the kit I was getting was cheap, I said it was a great price, it already has an upgraded turbo/IC. Being a good deal and being cheap are 2 completely different levels IMO.

I am serious about my goals, I plan on running low numbers on my stock block first to learn the kit and work any kinks out than a few months down the road drop in a built block and push it. This isn't some dream post, I'd really like to know what limitations and disadvantages a remote mount has compared to a front mount.Cause outside of the slightly later spool, I can't seem to find any.

I'm going for the Remote mount setup because it's a new front on our cars and I don't think anyone has pushed it yet, that's what i would like to do.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:20 AM
Corbic

I am serious about my goals, I plan on running low numbers on my stock block first to learn the kit and work any kinks out than a few months down the road drop in a built block and push it. This isn't some dream post, I'd really like to know what limitations and disadvantages a remote mount has compared to a front mount.Cause outside of the slightly later spool, I can't seem to find any.
Now that's just stupid. What "kinks" will you be getting out? Mechanical, Tune? Guess what, you swap blocks those "kinks" are back. Have you read anything? Why not google Remote-Mount. The limitations and disadvantages have been well documented.

I'm going for the Remote mount setup because it's a new front on our cars and I don't think anyone has pushed it yet, that's what i would like to do.
No it's not the "new frontier". It's been around for 3-4 years. I don't believe STS even makes the kits anymore. The Pros-Vs-Cons have been very well documented. Are you actually dreaming of building a street car, or just some lame dyno-look-at-me-car.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Ryank327

Now that's just stupid. What "kinks" will you be getting out? Mechanical, Tune? Guess what, you swap blocks those "kinks" are back. Have you read anything? Why not google Remote-Mount. The limitations and disadvantages have been well documented.
Have you read through this thread? have you ever installed a turbocharger? Every one has little nuisances you have to figure out and fix, once the built block goes in either they won't reappear and if they do I'll know what to do.

No it's not the "new frontier". It's been around for 3-4 years. I don't believe STS even makes the kits anymore. The Pros-Vs-Cons have been very well documented. Are you actually dreaming of building a street car, or just some lame dyno-look-at-me-car.
I believe you really don't know much and if you do you can't even have a discussion and are just spouting bs now, your first couple posts were slightly informative and now it's just a waste of thread space and time.

I've not only read through these forums but I've also read through Corvette and Camaro forums and they even touched on remote mounts in Corky Bell's Maximum boost book. They do still make the kits. The highest HP on a Z/G with these kits is only 621 Hp and you are trying to say it's not a new front in our cars?

If every individual that wanted to try something new stopped because someone told them they couldn't where would our hobby be?

You can have the last word, I'm done responding to you. I'd rather talk to someone that isn't close-minded and wants to discuss the physical limitations of the kit and ways to overcome them.

Last edited by Ryank327; 05-09-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:23 PM
1GR8350Z

I'm at 403whp with mine and it more laggy than I like. I can't wait to see his power curve also.

I actually at one point considered doing an LS-1 swap into my Z while keeping the STS, but decided against it when I realized how much it would cost. A proplerly built stroker will set you back just about the same though. More displacement is the only way for this kit to operate at peak efficiency.

I know there will be some lag compared to the stock kit/stock block setup, mainly because the turbo they put in the kit it's pretty small and puny imo. It is great for the intentions of the kit though.
Please tell me that you aren't implying that a bigger turbo will equal less lag.

I just don't think anyone has found that combination or pushed their motors hard enough yet since most people buy this kit for it's stock reliability.
Why do you think that is? Do you believe that you possess more knowledge about FI than all of the guys here.LOL. Don't you think if this kit was capable of 700hp with minimal lag that the TT kits would be obsolete with what the STS cost in comparison

My thoughts exactly. So everyone on here that has talked about the limitations of this kit full of shat? What are your driving intentions of this 700hp STS Z? Do you want a DD or a car that sits in the garage that rarely get driven?

Have you read through this thread? have you ever installed a turbocharger? Every one has little nuisances you have to figure out and fix, once the built block goes in either they won't reappear and if they do I'll know what to do.
Ask yourself the same question. I don't care about Ebay turbos in you Civic either. You know what, thats not fair for me to make assumptions like that. I just think its stupid to ignore what everyone has said about the limitations of this kit

I've not only read through these forums but I've also read through Corvette and Camaro forums and they even touched on remote mounts in Corky Bell's Maximum boost book. They do still make the kits. The highest HP on a Z/G with these kits is only 621 Hp and you are trying to say it's not a new front in our cars?

If every individual that wanted to try something new stopped because someone told them they couldn't where would our hobby be?

You can have the last word, I'm done responding to you. I'd rather talk to someone that isn't close-minded and wants to discuss the physical limitations of the kit.
You want to something new, then do what I wishI could have done. Swap the LS-1 in and keep the rear mount set up. The cost wouldn't be much different and you would have a much more reliable DD at 700hp. You seem so worried about the limitations of this kit, but I would read a little more about the troubles that the people that have reached 700hp on the VQ35 have experienced.

BTW, what was the max hp you found on a rear mount LS-1 setup

Last edited by 1GR8350Z; 05-09-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Ryank327

Originally Posted by 1GR8350Z
I'm at 403whp with mine and it more laggy than I like. I can't wait to see his power curve also.
Do you have a GT67 also? Why would you upgrade to it if you were only going to run ~400whp?

I actually at one point considered doing an LS-1 swap into my Z while keeping the STS, but decided against it when I realized how much it would cost. A proplerly built stroker will set you back just about the same though. More displacement is the only way for this kit to operate at peak efficiency.
I liked the sound of the LS1 swap also but it looks like it'd be a bigger PITA than what I currently want to do.

Please tell me that you aren't implying that a bigger turbo will equal less lag.
I don't know how you thought I was implying that, I was implying that since the 60-0 is such a small turbo anything is going to feel laggy compared to it.

Why do you think that is? Do you believe that you possess more knowledge about FI than all of the guys here.LOL. Don't you think if this kit was capable of 700hp with minimal lag that the TT kits would be obsolete with what the STS cost in comparison
I think it is like that because most of the people that buy this kit are attracted to it for it's stock reliability. If I believed I possessed more knowledge on FI than everyone here I wouldn't be asking for advice/criticism. I don't want to be driving in boost all the time which is why I don't want a TT kit. The only other kit I've considered is the powerlab kit.

My thoughts exactly. So everyone on here that has talked about the limitations of this kit full of shat? What are your driving intentions of this 700hp STS Z? Do you want a DD or a car that sits in the garage that rarely get driven?
The only limitations I have heard of this kit are it's slightly slower spool time. I think this can be offset partially with a properly sized and well prepared exhaust setup.

I have a DD already as well as a motorcycle, the G35 would only come out for recreational driving on nice days or for meets/cruises.

Ask yourself the same question. I don't care about Ebay turbos in you Civic either. You know what, thats not fair for me to make assumptions like that. I just think its stupid to ignore what everyone has said about the limitations of this kit

You want to something new, then do what I wishI could have done. Swap the LS-1 in and keep the rear mount set up. The cost wouldn't be much different and you would have a much more reliable DD at 700hp. You seem so worried about the limitations of this kit, but I would read a little more about the troubles that the people that have reached 700hp on the VQ35 have experienced.

BTW, what was the max hp you found on a rear mount LS-1 setup
I'll look more into the LS1 swap but I don't see myself going that route. I will read more into the High HP VQ's. The highest Hp I've found so far on an LS1 is around 750, theres a couple guys with 408s running in the low 900's and one guy in a LS1 C5 running the quarter in the high 8's but I can't find any dyno numbers on him.

One thing I found interesting is the guy with the C5 in the 8's was running a single 3" exhaust pipe to the turbo, considering the size of our engines to theirs I think the 2.5" that most VQs are running on this kit is too big and if it dropped down to 2.25" or even 2" it would help the spool a lot.

I'm not sure on which diameter is best though but tonight I'm gonna do all the math and figure out the flow rates and such and see what is the more efficient size piping.

The reason I want to do this is cause I don't want to just mindlessly follow what some manufacturer has laid out for me. I want something that will be a challenge and that will stick out.

Last edited by Ryank327; 05-09-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Elperuano

What the hell happened to this thread?
Old 05-09-2010, 05:26 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by Elperuano
What the hell happened to this thread?
LOL.. STS/Rear Mount = Drama!! This thread wont be fun without it... This is why this thread has survived for this long...
Old 05-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Elperuano

lol yea tell me bout it meng.... makes for good novelas!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:02 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Someone should try sticking two turbos back there
Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 PM
1GR8350Z

The reason I want to do this is cause I don't want to just mindlessly follow what some manufacturer has laid out for me. I want something that will be a challenge and that will stick out.
If you have the money and a DD, then go for it. I didn't say anything about the manufacturer. I said you seem to be ignoring good advice from people with experience on this kit. I'm not trying to discourage you, just offering my opinion. I love this kit. The sound is unbeatable and it has served as a gr8 DD for me. If I ever get in a position to go built block I may try to push it close to 500whp, but thats it for me. Continue to look into the LS-1 swap, though. For your goals I feel it would be more suited with a rear mount set up. Plus I would love to see someone do it. GL on your build.

Originally Posted by Chris@FsP
Someone should try sticking two turbos back there
I would love to see that done, too
Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 AM
myroncuz

I'd be the first Z/G on Oahu with it
YOU SHOULDNT GET STS CUZ IT SUCKS.. GO GET GREDDY TT.
i thought i was going to be the 1st in hawaii to get this.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread