Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 10:34 AM
DanielW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a slight exhaust leak between the cats and the y pipe but have new gaskets now.

Jon, are you experiencing any boost dip at like 4,000 rpms or is yours holding pretty steady?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
goosegoose

Rick at STS said the tail pipe is designed to be mated to the midpipe with the OEM gasket in that position. If the original ring gasket is already gone, it is Nissan part number 206910P600 and costs $7.83.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:43 AM
DanielW
Banned

I spoke again with rick and he says that an upgraded intercooler should help spool time as well. So I guess the intercooler is a little small for the application as AthensG was saying
Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
goosegoose

... so within months after putting on this test kit, I have modified the exhaust track, will change the intake pipe routing, and now there are plans/options to alter the intercooler and the turbo? ... by the time we are done testing this kit, will anything have stayed the same? ...

I wonder if by the end of all this I will have paid for the price of two turbo kits to set it all up

Well, at least it is very good to know that Rick and STS have been great to work with.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:51 AM
TegraRacer134

Originally Posted by danielwebb
I had a slight exhaust leak between the cats and the y pipe but have new gaskets now.

Jon, are you experiencing any boost dip at like 4,000 rpms or is yours holding pretty steady?
Mine is hold strong it spikes a little but its more than likely because of the MBC not an electric one.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:00 AM
taurran

I spoke again with rick and he says that an upgraded intercooler should help spool time as well. So I guess the intercooler is a little small for the application as AthensG was saying
That's interesting. I'd think a smaller intercooler would typically help spool time. Either, that, or the design is completely going to change. Typically a larger core intercooler means greater pressure loss.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:01 AM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by goosegoose
... so within months after putting on this test kit, I have modified the exhaust track, will change the intake pipe routing, and now there are plans/options to alter the intercooler and the turbo? ... by the time we are done testing this kit, will anything have stayed the same? ...

I wonder if by the end of all this I will have paid for the price of two turbo kits to set it all up
Or a really nice twin setup.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:53 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by goosegoose

Well, at least it is very good to know that Rick and STS have been great to work with.

I think the kit stay the same, Rick has always emphasized that the current kit is enough for Stock Motor and all parts should be suffice for stock application. If customer has a different goal then he mentioned that that is why his Sales Team are there to answer all question a potential customer have before purchasing the final kit that can meet their goal. I believe the IC is an Upgrade for people that want more power but not sure if pressure will get to him to make it as standard for future kit.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
athenG

I need to get back with him about the upgrade IC, did he tell you what are the Spec? is it at least a Bar/Plate design?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:58 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by taurran
That's interesting. I'd think a smaller intercooler would typically help spool time. Either, that, or the design is completely going to change. Typically a larger core intercooler means greater pressure loss.

This is because the IC is to small and it is a Tube/Fine design. Rick already admitted that based on their test that the IC is already on the restricted side at 8+PSI
Old 08-22-2007, 12:04 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by athenG
This is because the IC is to small and it is a Tube/Fine design. Rick already admitted that based on their test that the IC is already on the restricted side at 8+PSI
In that case I'd think they'd be upgrading it to a better quality bar and plate style intercooler. Obviously sizing is important on the setup because one that is MUCH larger would affect spool time as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
DanielW
Banned

interesting from what I understand they should be able to stick with one that is relatively the same size and just upgrade to the bar/plate design
Old 08-22-2007, 12:46 PM
athenG

Ok, feel free for anyone to correct me but based on my findings between bar/plate and tube/fine are that Tube/Fine design has better cooling effect than a bar/plate design granted that both have exact same size. Bar/Plate on the other hand has less pressure drop than a tube/fine IC but because of less pressure drop the air pass through much quicker and does not cool as efficient than a Tube/Fine. To counter that, a litter bigger Bar/plate will increase the cooling effect without sacrificing any pressure drop.

Having said that I think if STS will just increase the IC just a little and at the same time switch to a Bar/Plate then this will improve the IC efficiency.

interesting from what I understand they should be able to stick with one that is relatively the same size and just upgrade to the bar/plate design
Old 08-22-2007, 01:22 PM
DanielW
Banned

I'm certainly not in any position to correct you that sounds reasonable. The real question is, do we get the hook up on the new IC?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by athenG
Ok, feel free for anyone to correct me but based on my findings between bar/plate and tube/fine are that Tube/Fine design has better cooling effect than a bar/plate design granted that both have exact same size. Bar/Plate on the other hand has less pressure drop than a tube/fine IC but because of less pressure drop the air pass through much quicker and does not cool as efficient than a Tube/Fine. To counter that, a litter bigger Bar/plate will increase the cooling effect without sacrificing any pressure drop.

Having said that I think if STS will just increase the IC just a little and at the same time switch to a Bar/Plate then this will improve the IC efficiency.
That depends on who you talk to really. However, the general consensus is that the bar and plate intercoolers have less pressure drop and are more efficient overall. They weigh more and tend to be a bit more bulky. But, most will agree that the bar and plate style coolers are more efficient all around.

That's why I thought they'd use a bar/plate style as the lower pressure drop would help spool time. From what I remember seeing, the size of the intercooler didn't seem lacking in previous pics. What are the dimensions of the current core?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:18 AM
DanielW
Banned

Rick recommended pro torque for my torque converter but i can't find any pricing or anything at all for that matter on there site about an upgrade for the Z. What would be the advantage of going with pro torque over SGP? I will be doing the SGP VB upgrade anyway. Do you guys really think its tru ethat the TQ converter will take .4-.6 seconds off the 1/4 time?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:21 AM
goosegoose

Rick recommended pro torque for my torque converter but i can't find any pricing or anything at all for that matter on there site about an upgrade for the Z. What would be the advantage of going with pro torque over SGP? I will be doing the SGP VB upgrade anyway. Do you guys really think its tru ethat the TQ converter will take .4-.6 seconds off the 1/4 time?
I talked with Thomas over at SGP as well as the owner over at ProTorque. From what I understand SGP uses ProTorque's converters, and the price of getting the TC from ProTorque directly was about $100 cheaper than getting the same unit from SGP.

I'm sure it will better your acceleration times, but I am unsure what it will do for daily driveability. I have spoken to various forum members and vendors, and am left with a split list of pros and cons.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:21 AM
DanielW
Banned

what kind of cons are you hearing about?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:27 AM
goosegoose

what kind of cons are you hearing about?
Here is input GURGENPB was nice enough to give me several weeks ago:

Level 10 VB upgrade is not going ot protect your tranny at all, sad to say, as without special valve modification (whcih override opposition processure in each gear hydrolic pathway), the line pressure an instance before the shift is reduced back to the stock 205psi level. So, that VB maintains increased line pressure only after the gear is engaged...and you need the line pressure to remain high DURING the shift as well, so the clutches clip less (or rather, don't slip at all). Sorry to say, just wanna be a straight shooter.

TC: they really accomplish only one thing, essentially, which is increasing the stall speed and multiplication at launch speeds, so you impart more torque to the wheels following an aggressive brake torquing (which does nothing bu spin tires if you are still have stock material/size). Beware, that when you increase stall, you increase inherent slip in unlocked conitions , which is in regions of stall and city driving, so your MPG WILL absolutley fall (by about 5-8%). If you do drag racing with an auto, you definitely should do the mod, but at the detriment of drivability (as it will feel much more "slushy", especially with extreme increases in stall speed over 3000-3200rpm). This is kinda stupid to do if it's only a street car, and not a dragster. In fact, the smart thing to do, is to go the other way, and LOWER stall speed to maximie coupling efficiency, this will get you more of an MT-like feel, "like" being the operative word there, reduce coupling inefficiency (by no more than a little bit, it will probably bring the the coupling efficiency from 96% to about 98-99% if you are lucky) in unlocked conditions. Do NOT do this mod if you are doing it to "strengthen" the converter...and don't listen to people that tell yo uotherwise, as our TC's are ALREADY furnace brazed from the factory (unlike the honda ones)... this furnace brazing is a major selling point with TC modding shops, saying that you will benefit from added strength....no!

anyway...HTH

- Gurgen

Furthermore, here is some guidance from RONCFPZ:

The SGP valve body is excellent; shifts are firm and fast but IMO not too harsh. The TC from ProTorque is avery high quality piece and I have not noticed much difference from stock as far as driveability.

At this time, I would recommend both as well as a very good trans cooler. The cooler is probably the most important upgrade for the 5AT. Mark @ SGP recommended an Earl's cooler and I can see why.....great quality and compact design.

Good luck!
Ron

You could go with the FULL AT upgrade that SGP offers. Take a look here.

Last edited by goosegoose; 08-24-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 AM
DanielW
Banned

excellent information.... I guess with that being said I'll prbably hold off on the TC upgrade. I can brake boost anyway once or twice when I feel like I'm ready to put down 12's and call it a day.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread