Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 05:13 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG
From the Utec BCS.

true
Old 03-07-2008, 12:37 PM
goosegoose

Okay. I'm not sure who needed info on the upgraded STS intercooler, but since CIN Motorsports already posted preliminary pictures, here are some detail and comparison shots. The new core is both thicker and taller.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:45 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by goosegoose

IMG]
Goose, I guess it is the angle but can you confirm that the core length is the same? Looking at the bottom pix, the upgrade IC is shorter (core wise) but the other pix look even.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:50 PM
goosegoose

Goose, I guess it is the angle but can you confirm that the core length is the same? Looking at the bottom pix, the upgrade IC is shorter (core wise) but the other pix look even.
I can confirm that the core length is insignificantly different between the standard and upgraded intercoolers. For all intents and purposes, they are the same length.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:59 PM
athenG

Great, this seem to be an easy bolt-on and maybe just a few pipe cutting.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I turned the boost up to 8 psi from 7 psi. Now boost is rock solid. No more minor boost spikes.

New problem however: knock! I suspected that I would need a new tune after I installed the BCS.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:01 PM
Z33_kid

sorry to be a dumb budd but they fit on the 07 ?? and would it cost the same ?
Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by Z33_kid
sorry to be a dumb budd but they fit on the 07 ?? and would it cost the same ?
I don't believe the current STS kits work on the VQ-HR engines, but I believe STS may be starting to test develop a platform for them. You can always contact them directly.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Short video. Not really wide open throttle but that was to about 85-90 mph

The idle is funny because I just started it and my fuel pump is a little twichy.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 AM
WASHWIZ

Finally got around in getting my HFC and Y-pipe installed with a new tune. I wrapped the cats and Y-pipe with heat wrap but did not get to wrap the mid pipe (ran out of wrap). Once I wrapped them I dropped my car off at Functiontuned for the install and dyno.

My car is a 03 G 6MT. I installed the kit myself in September 07 and got it tuned at the same location.

My final results were 355whp/350wtq @ 7.8psi. The red line depicts the before, and the blue is the after. As you can see the power band is a lot smoother then before along with the tq. Overall I’m happy with the results and enjoy the car more then I did before.

Few things that I have to address in the near future; One would be a new front bumper b/c I still have the stock one which is killing me. Two is an EBC b/c my boost is not stable thought-out. Three, at some point I have to get a fuel return or bigger injectors b/c I’m almost maxed out and with cold weather I will be (lucky for me it’s starting to get warm).

As most of you know this kit is not that great (consistent) on the dyno and tends to become heat soaked.

Here is the HP/TQ before/after
IMG]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/mhemsworth/G35_Dyno_HP_TQ.jpg[/IMG]
]

Here is the HP/AFR before/after
[IMG]http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r148/mhemsworth/G35_Dyno_HP_AFR.jpg[/IMG[IMG]
Old 03-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,079 Likes on 971 Posts

pics fixed

Originally Posted by WASHWIZ
Finally got around in getting my HFC and Y-pipe installed with a new tune. I wrapped the cats and Y-pipe with heat wrap but did not get to wrap the mid pipe (ran out of wrap). Once I wrapped them I dropped my car off at Functiontuned for the install and dyno.

My car is a 03 G 6MT. I installed the kit myself in September 07 and got it tuned at the same location.

My final results were 355whp/350wtq @ 7.8psi. The red line depicts the before, and the blue is the after. As you can see the power band is a lot smoother then before along with the tq. Overall I’m happy with the results and enjoy the car more then I did before.

Few things that I have to address in the near future; One would be a new front bumper b/c I still have the stock one which is killing me. Two is an EBC b/c my boost is not stable thought-out. Three, at some point I have to get a fuel return or bigger injectors b/c I’m almost maxed out and with cold weather I will be (lucky for me it’s starting to get warm).

As most of you know this kit is not that great (consistent) on the dyno and tends to become heat soaked.

Here is the HP/TQ before/after

Here is the HP/AFR before/after
Old 03-13-2008, 11:23 AM
goosegoose

You may need to fix your IMG links.

What brand HFCs did you use? How much louder is this new setup over the OEM Cats?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM
WASHWIZ

Thanks Jeff.

They are FI HFC. It did make the car significantly louder then before. I don't know if it's the combo of the two (HFC&Y-pipe). I will get a video this weekend.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 PM
athenG

Do you have a Boost graph? What WS spring are you using and are you holding boost until redline?

Edit:
Is that dyno Raw DD numbers? Mine is DJ corrected so you got some good #'s there if there is no correction.

Last edited by athenG; 03-13-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:03 PM
WASHWIZ

Do you have a Boost graph? What WS spring are you using and are you holding boost until redline?

Edit:
Is that dyno Raw DD numbers? Mine is DJ corrected so you got some good #'s there if there is no correction.
I do not have a boost graph; I have to ask for one. My WG spring is 5lbs. You know, I have not really looked at my gauge to see if I'm holding till redline.

Yes that is raw DD numbers.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:12 PM
athenG

I have the .3bar WS spring (4.3psi) and I have trouble holding boost at 8psi. I was told that you don't want to run double the amount of PSI your WS Spring is capable off. Can you find out if you are holding boost all the way to Redline and do you have the .3bar or .4bar WS spring? I just ordered a .5bar spring and hope that fix my problem, if not then I'll go ahead and upgrade my FMIC... Also what RPM do you hit Full Boost? It look like around 4200rpm.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:09 AM
WASHWIZ

I have the .3bar WS spring (4.3psi) and I have trouble holding boost at 8psi. I was told that you don't want to run double the amount of PSI your WS Spring is capable off. Can you find out if you are holding boost all the way to Redline and do you have the .3bar or .4bar WS spring? I just ordered a .5bar spring and hope that fix my problem, if not then I'll go ahead and upgrade my FMIC... Also what RPM do you hit Full Boost? It look like around 4200rpm.
I have the .4bar WS spring. As for holding boost till redline, I believe I am but not constantly. I'm also running the boost control that came with the kit (they say it is an EBC but it's not). I hit full boost around 3500-3600rpm. I will get some vids this weekend (if the weather holds).

Sorry for being so vague on some issues. This is not my DD, and I have not driven her much since the new tune.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:44 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

Originally Posted by goosegoose
I don't believe the current STS kits work on the VQ-HR engines, but I believe STS may be starting to test develop a platform for them. You can always contact them directly.
STS will not be doing R&D for the HR motor unless they have 20 lined up for sale. We (CIN Motorsports), however, have no problem with trying to tackle an HR motor with an STS kit. All we need is the car and little bit of time If anyone is interested, get to me through PM or email me at Derek@cinmotorsports.com
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by WASHWIZ
I have the .4bar WS spring. As for holding boost till redline, I believe I am but not constantly. I'm also running the boost control that came with the kit (they say it is an EBC but it's not). I hit full boost around 3500-3600rpm. I will get some vids this weekend (if the weather holds).

Sorry for being so vague on some issues. This is not my DD, and I have not driven her much since the new tune.

I now goosegoose use to have the same problem (boost dropping on higher RPM) and he also has the .3bar spring. I didn't know STS come with a BC!! Do you have pix of this unit?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 AM
goosegoose

I now goosegoose use to have the same problem (boost dropping on higher RPM) and he also has the .3bar spring. I didn't know STS come with a BC!! Do you have pix of this unit?
eh? what STS boost controller?

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread