Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forged Performance: Engine inspection after 25K miles of abuse

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:03 PM
majik16106

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ON topic - i cant believe there is no more wear in the bearing considering how hard you drive that car. its all in the tuning!

Last edited by majik16106; 08-14-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:04 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MacGuffin
Huh? Don't you mean that it is an open-deck, dry-sleeve design? The stock iron cylinder liners directly contact aluminum, not water/coolant, right?
That's correct. The stock sleeve is about 1mm of iron, and the rest is aluminum, but it is an open deck and wet. Just wanted to make that clear...maybe I misunderstood you. When I think dry, i am thinking solid block, with cooling channels, rather than an open deck, where coolant surrounds the cylinders.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:08 AM
MacGuffin

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
That's correct. The stock sleeve is about 1mm of iron, and the rest is aluminum, but it is an open deck and wet.
No, that makes it an open deck with a dry sleeve. The part that is aluminum is the block, not part of the sleeve. A wet sleeve by definition is wet because the sleeve itself is in direct contact with the coolant flow. A dry sleeve (or cylinder liner -- same thing) is in an interference fit with the supporting block material.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:24 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by majik16106
ON topic - i cant believe there is no more wear in the bearing considering how hard you drive that car. its all in the tuning!
so much of it is, several factors, the type of oil, oil change interval, proper break-in... and proper tuning!

back on topic- good job again sharif...

I've been tempted to try out an unsleeved setup with a stroker crank, 96mm bore but some 10 ft rods
Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 AM
06Track

Shariff.....how did the cylinder walls look??? Scuffing, any cross hatch left and did
you pull a top ring off a piston and see what the gap was compared to when it
was installed? Piston to wall clearances?? I know it is alot of questions, but
since your building one for me, I like to see what you ended up with after
your tough 25K.

How many dyno pulls was this engine subjected to over its lifetime?

And by the way, my car is running GREAT...THANKS!!!!!!

Mike Miller
Old 08-15-2007, 06:10 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by 06Track
Shariff.....how did the cylinder walls look??? Scuffing, any cross hatch left and did
you pull a top ring off a piston and see what the gap was compared to when it
was installed? Piston to wall clearances?? I know it is alot of questions, but
since your building one for me, I like to see what you ended up with after
your tough 25K.

How many dyno pulls was this engine subjected to over its lifetime?

And by the way, my car is running GREAT...THANKS!!!!!!

Mike Miller
The cylinder walls looked perfect, with no scuffing whatsoever. The original hone was just lightly visible. Bore size and original ring gap were all intact. The rings looks unburnt, and overall....very nice!

This engine has saw about 250 dyno pulls on the only dyno, and about 100 on the new dyno.

Glad your car is running well. We are getting caught up this week on our backlog of Forged engines, and I'll call you later, so we can get one staged and on the shelf for you. Sounds like you don't trust the "other guys" engine.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Sharif,
Can you post better pictures of the pistons.i am curious to see closups of the skirts, and the tops of the pistons near the ringlands. Also some closer and better shots of the bearings would help.The current pictures dont really show much.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:31 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Sharif,
Can you post better pictures of the pistons.i am curious to see closups of the skirts, and the tops of the pistons near the ringlands. Also some closer and better shots of the bearings would help.The current pictures dont really show much.
Sure, I just snapped a few more. I also opened pushed the ring out slightly, so you can observe its condition. There is a good amount of carbon buildup from all the hard miles, and leaded fuel this thing has seen. Aside from a 5 min stop in the parts washer, this is how they looked without any additional scrubbing or cleaning.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope my motor lasts this long lol...
Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

So is there any reason to try to clean carbon deposits or be concerned about it after xxK miles? The carbon layer looks really thin for 25k miles - does not look enough to affect compression ratio like I've read about...
Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by rcdash
So is there any reason to try to clean carbon deposits or be concerned about it after xxK miles? The carbon layer looks really thin for 25k miles - does not look enough to affect compression ratio like I've read about...
The carbon layer is very thin, which I know can be heard to tell in the pics. I can't think of an easy way to clean it off while the engine is together, nor should it effect compression ratio in a meaningful way. 25K miles on this engine, is likely the equivalent of 50K on a typical street driven engine, since the car saw hours and hours under heavy loads at the track.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 08-15-2007 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

the amazing thing is when you tear a motor down and inspect the valves and carbon deposit on the pistons when running water/methanol injection its entire life!!! Another reaon to add water to one's setup, the claim of "steamcleaning" you engine is true. The pistons will have some carbon deposits (as all will) but overall much less in a non-water setup...

for 25k miles those pistons look great, re-use em on your next build and put those Extreme duties to the test!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
the amazing thing is when you tear a motor down and inspect the valves and carbon deposit on the pistons when running water/methanol injection its entire life!!! Another reaon to add water to one's setup, the claim of "steamcleaning" you engine is true. The pistons will have some carbon deposits (as all will) but overall much less in a non-water setup...

for 25k miles those pistons look great, re-use em on your next build and put those Extreme duties to the test!
Interesting I did not know that. Thanks for the info...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Looks good..Thats how my pistons and valves looked from running leaded race fuel You can bead blast them ,wet sand them and reuse them bad boys!!
BTW, Who's Ducatti?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:17 AM
failsafe306

BTW, Who's Ducatti?

Good eye, I missed that. I believe it is Sharif's.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:24 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

BTW, Who's Ducatti?
It's mine. In my previous life, when I had free time, I did a lot of riding. I havent riden it in about a year or so..its for sale if anyone wants it? It's the best bike I have ever owned, and very reliable.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:25 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb

I dont want to test my luck, so I will use some new pistons. They say that engines run their best....right before they melt down...LOL.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

It's mine. In my previous life, when I had free time, I did a lot of riding. I havent riden it in about a year or so..its for sale if anyone wants it? It's the best bike I have ever owned, and very reliable.
Your nuts...Ill never set my butt on a bike..I have seen way to many kids hit walls and other objects in my secondary profession Then they clean them up with a shovel.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Your nuts...Ill never set my butt on a bike..I have seen way to many kids hit walls and other objects in my secondary profession Then they clean them up with a shovel.
I almost exclusively rode it on the track, and the occasional trip to Starbucks. I cant even count how many times I have been cut off. IMHO 90% of the guys killed on bikes, have no clue how to ride, were drinking, or doing something really really stupid.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I almost exclusively rode it on the track, and the occasional trip to Starbucks. I cant even count how many times I have been cut off. IMHO 90% of the guys killed on bikes, have no clue how to ride, were drinking, or doing something really really stupid.
The last one we had, the kid went into a turn to fast, locked up the front brakes, and went over with the bike, then slid 150 feet on the shuolder of the road until he hit the wall head first at over 85mph.........The helmet kept what was left of his head in there..Looked like soup
Oh and the bike was stolen to boot..
Sorry for the OT

Quick Reply: Forged Performance: Engine inspection after 25K miles of abuse