Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS F-Con iS Tuning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007 | 04:15 PM
IslandZavage

Congrats on the Fcon-IS Mario.. Good to see your happy with it. I'm glad you posted this, as i never knew too much about the Fcon-IS..
Old 08-24-2007 | 05:26 PM
rcdash

I didn't see it mentioned, so let me point out the little issue of the UTEC having full control of timing and fuel under load, whereas the FCON iS I believe is always in piggyback mode. Unless you think you may trade up for the FCON VPRO in the future, I would think the UTEC would be the better choice (and as Kenk2 mentioned, doesn't leave you dependent on your certified tuner).

EDIT: Though for the time being, admittedly, the resolution of the FCON iS is higher - but for low hp applications, not sure that's a huge issue.

Last edited by rcdash; 08-24-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2007 | 05:32 PM
MethodRN
For Sale
Premier Member

Originally Posted by rcdash
I didn't see it mentioned, so let me point out the little issue of the UTEC having full control of timing and fuel under load, whereas the FCON iS I believe is always in piggyback mode. Unless you think you may trade up for the FCON VPRO in the future, I would think the UTEC would be the better choice (and as Kenk2 mentioned, doesn't leave you dependent on your certified tuner).

EDIT: Though for the time being, admittedly, the resolution of the FCON iS is higher - but for low hp applications, not sure that's a huge issue.
The nice thing about using the iS is later down the line if you should decide to go w/ more hp, and step up to V-Pro, you already have the harness. W/ the going the UTEC route, you'd have to buy another harness.
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:21 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

For the low boost applications the iS is great, you cannot beat the air fuel feedback feature, and as for timing you know what the stock timing is so piggyback mode is fine to take a few degrees out.

And as mentioned if wanting to upgrade to the Pro you need the Pro unit and temp sensor, you already have the pressure sensor and main harness. Which even if I had a Utec at lower boost I would want to upgrade anyway if investing the kind of money it takes to go built motor route.
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:35 PM
IslandZavage

II would think the UTEC would be the better choice (and as Kenk2 mentioned, doesn't leave you dependent on your certified tuner).
But for those of us who dont wanna mess with our tunes, i dont see why not being able to tune it yourself is a issue. Its more like a safety feature so you dont mess it up and just leave it to the pros.. I personally am one of those people that would rather a certified tuner do all the tuning and i just Enjoy the Ride.. I honeslty dont know too many people that tune there own cars compared to those who just let a pro do it..
Old 08-24-2007 | 07:45 PM
rcdash

Not saying I would mess with a professional tune either and cost isn't the main issue (for me) if you're getting you're money's worth (and you definitely do with the FCON Vpro), but I like the reassurance of knowing I can go to a local tuner in a pinch and/or learn what's wrong or run diagnostics and/or do some datalogging without requiring a "key".

As I said in my post above, if you think you may trade up to the Vpro then getting the iS is a no-brainer. And although it's harder (with no target A/F yet and what not), it's possible to get safe, reasonable tunes in the 500 whp range with the UTEC (and for slightly less $$$ than the iS).

The only way I justified putting this much money into the car was that I would learn something out of going through the process. Something like the UTEC put more data and control at my (the user's) disposal.
Old 08-24-2007 | 07:51 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by westpak
and as for timing you know what the stock timing is so piggyback mode is fine to take a few degrees out.
My understanding is that when the stock ECU switched from closed to open loop mode (wide open throttle), it's timing maps would/might change accordingly and potentially throw off a piggyback tune. Unless you're gonna reflash the stock ECU, I don't see how you would 100% get around this issue. Hence the main attraction to the UTEC - direct control of fuel and timing. Is such direct control not as beneficial as it was once purported to be?

EDIT: I am just calling it like I see it - happy to be educated. I love the clean video out display of the iS. Too bad you lose that going to the Vpro. It's a standout marketing feature if you ask me. I also like the target AF feature so you never "lose your tune" even if the stock ECU compensates for what it thinks is an overly rich condition.

Last edited by rcdash; 08-24-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2007 | 08:12 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

My understanding is that when the stock ECU switched from closed to open loop mode (wide open throttle), it's timing maps would/might change accordingly and potentially throw off a piggyback tune. Unless you're gonna reflash the stock ECU, I don't see how you would 100% get around this issue. Hence the main attraction to the UTEC - direct control of fuel and timing. Is such direct control not as beneficial as it was once purported to be?

EDIT: I am just calling it like I see it - happy to be educated. I love the clean video out display of the iS. Too bad you lose that going to the Vpro. It's a standout marketing feature if you ask me. I also like the target AF feature so you never "lose your tune" even if the stock ECU compensates for what it thinks is an overly rich condition.
The different maps that might be used by the ECU are not that drastic specially in the advance scenario, if the car is tuned while running properly there is no reason to think it is being tuned on a map that pulls timing, so the worse case scenario would be that the car runs on a map with less timing and the piggyback pulls more timing having less power, but if the ECU is running on a less timing map there is a reason so pulling even more wont hurt.

Also we are not talking about huge amounts of timing difference in the lower boost settings usually around 5-6 degrees so the piggyback can more than handle that, the emanage, unichip do it this way as well. Full control is definitely needed when going to high boost settings like 16 pounds as you really want to make sure what your timing is since a mistake at those levels will cause damage quickly.
Old 08-24-2007 | 09:29 PM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Hows the car doing Ken?

-George
GT Motorsports
Again Mario, I apologize for the off topic..

Its funny that you ask George.. Today as I was getting in my car after work, I started it and the dash was lit up like a Christmas Tree and the car wouldnt rev over 2k rpms or whatever.. So I shut it down, let it sit for a minute, restarted it and it fired up fine with a SEL.. I pulled it into my shop, left it and took a work truck home..

So, at the moment I pretty much hate that damn car.. I changed my oil like 2000 miles ago, and I am down BELOW the LOW on the dipstick.. I have a catch can for the oil, but I am burning it like crazy... As you know, I installed the TT myself and have boosted to 11 psi on 118 octane with no issues at all but I am honestly fed up.. I am tired of getting under my car and constantly worrying about it..

I seriously want to get into better EM and you guys will be the ONLY place I go to for that but I am on the fence as to what I reallywant to do with this car.. I am sure you are aware of how the UTEC just doesnt have the greatest driveability.. Its so damn jerky at half throttle and when you let off the gas its just plain horrible.. The oil issue just scares me so I dont know man, some advice from you guys would be great.. I am afraid to call right now as you guys are so buried that I wouldnt want to inconvenience you or Sam at all..

K
Old 08-25-2007 | 05:30 AM
rcdash

There may be other EMS options soon (if you want an unlocked EMS) - might want to PM HAL@IP.

EDIT: Just curious if you had oil consumption prior to twin turbo? And if you run cats or TP?

Last edited by rcdash; 08-25-2007 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-25-2007 | 05:36 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by westpak
The different maps that might be used by the ECU are not that drastic specially in the advance scenario, if the car is tuned while running properly there is no reason to think it is being tuned on a map that pulls timing, so the worse case scenario would be that the car runs on a map with less timing and the piggyback pulls more timing having less power, but if the ECU is running on a less timing map there is a reason so pulling even more wont hurt.

Also we are not talking about huge amounts of timing difference in the lower boost settings usually around 5-6 degrees so the piggyback can more than handle that, the emanage, unichip do it this way as well. Full control is definitely needed when going to high boost settings like 16 pounds as you really want to make sure what your timing is since a mistake at those levels will cause damage quickly.
Well that is reassuring then - thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-25-2007 | 07:11 AM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

There may be other EMS options soon (if you want an unlocked EMS) - might want to PM HAL@IP.

EDIT: Just curious if you had oil consumption prior to twin turbo? And if you run cats or TP?
I have talked to Hal, but I havent heard of any for sure pricing etc...

I found out about the oil issue like a week before I went FI.. I took the car into the dealer because I had a flashing SEL and they said my oil was REALLY low.. So they wanted me to bring it in like 500 miles later.. I had the car tore apart a week later and installed the Greddy so I figured they would more than likely laugh at me when I pull up all TT'ed out..

I just need to get over the fact that I am a control freak and let someone else take care of my car.. I am more than likely going to make the jump to the iS or V-Pro very soon, if I do in fact keep my car..
Old 08-25-2007 | 07:15 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Kenk2
I have talked to Hal, but I havent heard of any for sure pricing etc...

I found out about the oil issue like a week before I went FI.. I took the car into the dealer because I had a flashing SEL and they said my oil was REALLY low.. So they wanted me to bring it in like 500 miles later.. I had the car tore apart a week later and installed the Greddy so I figured they would more than likely laugh at me when I pull up all TT'ed out..

I just need to get over the fact that I am a control freak and let someone else take care of my car.. I am more than likely going to make the jump to the iS or V-Pro very soon, if I do in fact keep my car..

Do a haltech or a Vpro upgrade man....
IS is not an upgrade from the utec really...

i mean you do have a good ems, so if you are going to upgrade you might as well do it to standalone..its not like you are using the emanage blue

THe oil thing ...that sucks man hope you get it fixed..but sounds more liek a mechanical issue than ems
Old 08-25-2007 | 07:22 AM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
THe oil thing ...that sucks man hope you get it fixed..but sounds more liek a mechanical issue than ems

Yea I completely agree.. There is something going on but I am too busy today to worry about it..
Old 08-25-2007 | 10:55 AM
arizzee

Just some feedback on the Fcon iS with my built JWT TT kit and 440cc injectors. If I wasn't told it was there I wouldn't have known. What I mean is that there are no hesitations, flat spots, transitions, etc. in the power delivery. Drives like stock except it has an extra 175 whp.

My tuner gave me the option to go with the Utec so I could tune it myself but I stayed with the iS because of its superior resolution.
Old 08-25-2007 | 12:40 PM
athenG

I seriously want to get into better EM and you guys will be the ONLY place I go to for that but I am on the fence as to what I reallywant to do with this car.. I am sure you are aware of how the UTEC just doesnt have the greatest driveability.. Its so damn jerky at half throttle and when you let off the gas its just plain horrible.. The oil issue just scares me so I dont know man, some advice from you guys would be great.. I am afraid to call right now as you guys are so buried that I wouldnt want to inconvenience you or Sam at all..

K

I aggree at half throttle and daily driving UTEC can be a pain, I haven't had a chance to ride on an IS but I'm seriously thinking about it coz I like all the Video output but Utec has some good traits like full controll of the FUEL and Timing not to mention Knock control under load. I already have UTEC so I don't see my self taking the lost and pay for another install for just an IS if ever I'll go with Vpro or Haltech.
Old 08-25-2007 | 01:17 PM
mario23

Originally Posted by arizzee
Just some feedback on the Fcon iS with my built JWT TT kit and 440cc injectors. If I wasn't told it was there I wouldn't have known. What I mean is that there are no hesitations, flat spots, transitions, etc. in the power delivery. Drives like stock except it has an extra 175 whp.

My tuner gave me the option to go with the Utec so I could tune it myself but I stayed with the iS because of its superior resolution.
Yeah I was surprised at how smooth the power is. Daily driving is civil also...no jerkiness at all...
Old 08-25-2007 | 02:07 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Again Mario, I apologize for the off topic..

Its funny that you ask George.. Today as I was getting in my car after work, I started it and the dash was lit up like a Christmas Tree and the car wouldnt rev over 2k rpms or whatever.. So I shut it down, let it sit for a minute, restarted it and it fired up fine with a SEL.. I pulled it into my shop, left it and took a work truck home..

So, at the moment I pretty much hate that damn car.. I changed my oil like 2000 miles ago, and I am down BELOW the LOW on the dipstick.. I have a catch can for the oil, but I am burning it like crazy... As you know, I installed the TT myself and have boosted to 11 psi on 118 octane with no issues at all but I am honestly fed up.. I am tired of getting under my car and constantly worrying about it..

K
I am glad this came from a unbiased consumer These are the main reasons I and many other tuners prefer the FCon iS over the UTec.

Shoot me a PM ken and Ill send you my cell number, you can call me if you ever want to talk, no problem at all

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 08-25-2007 | 02:40 PM
mario23

That's why I wanted to get it out there I think its a great unit that just doesn't get enough coverage...
Old 08-25-2007 | 02:47 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mario23
That's why I wanted to get it out there I think its a great unit that just doesn't get enough coverage...
+11.4 billion (countrywide anyone?)

I completely agree, I think this was a good idea on your parent so the entire community can add another options to their EMS choices.

-George
GT Motorsports

Quick Reply: HKS F-Con iS Tuning Thread