Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS F-Con iS Tuning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007 | 05:33 PM
mario23

Default HKS F-Con iS Tuning Thread

There’s not a whole lot of information on the F-Con iS available so I thought I would post up some info on my experiences with it so far. Just a little background on my vehicle and setup as far mechanical mods done so far:

03 Base Z (stock block)
Greddy Twin Turbo w/Intercooler
Greddy Type RS Blowoff Valve
Greddy Profec E01 Boost Controller
Greddy Oil Catch Can
Walbro Fuel Pump
PLX Devices Wideband 02 Sensor
Defi Blue Racer Gauges (Oil/Coolant/Fuel Pres)
SVRT Wastegate Dumps
JWT Oil Pan Spacer
HKS/Japtrix Custom 3" Exhaust
Sun Hyper Grounding Kit
Unorthodox Racing Pulley Set
JWT Heavy Duty Clutch
JWT Lightweight Flywheel

When it came time to turn up the boost a little from its stock setting via Emanage, I decided to go with the HKS F-Con iS mostly because of the A/F feedback features. That and the V-Pro seemed like probably overkill for my setup. I’ve had all my work done at Japtrix down here in South Florida so when it came time for this move, there was no doubt I was going right back there. Gus (Westpak) and Roger have always taken great care of me and treated the car like it was their own. Once everyting was installed and it came time to tune, everything went very smoothly. It’s really neat to see how the iS responds to feedback and sort of learns its way around the setup. Once you send it in the right direction, the iS does a lot of work in the background. Also it should be known that injector settings ARE scaleable with the iS. The video link is plugged into my Kenwood DDX and displays whatever we want it to. Very cool bonus feature.
Name:  P1010059.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  127.4 KB
Anyways, here’s the dyno chart.
Name:  scan0017.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  91.6 KB
On the street, I can definitely tell the difference. The A/Fs are consistent low 11’s to low 12’s (386rwhp). We didn’t really want to go any higher than that yet without a fuel return and I’m not in that kind of hurry. I prefer staying on the conservative side of things here. I’m extremely happy with the results and am thoroughly enjoying my new found power. Thanks again to Roger and Gus and all the guys at Japtrix for hookin up…again.
Old 08-22-2007 | 05:39 PM
booger

Very nice .!!!!!!! in the pics , your A/F at idle is 16.4 . Does it jump around at idle ? Seems rather high to me for idle .
Old 08-22-2007 | 05:42 PM
mario23

That may have just been from cold start. Normally idle is closer to low/mid 15's.
The A/F is usually pretty consistent and doesn't jump around.
Old 08-22-2007 | 05:42 PM
failsafe306

I'm still confused. Is the IS a piggyback (emanage) or more of a parallel (UTEC) type of EMS?
Old 08-22-2007 | 05:46 PM
booger

Originally Posted by mario23
That may have just been from cold start. Normally idle is closer to low/mid 15's.
The A/F is usually pretty consistent and doesn't jump around.
Mine is 14.3 to 15.2 range at idle . And that would be cold start or warm . Thats why I asked .

Last edited by booger; 08-22-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2007 | 05:50 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by failsafe306
I'm still confused. Is the IS a piggyback (emanage) or more of a parallel (UTEC) type of EMS?
The iS is a piggyback with some nice features.

It can rescale injectors, use AF feedback to tune itself to a target air fuel and has the video output, you can adjust when to have the af feedback come in by throttle and water temp. It is also can adjust/cancel closed loop if you get an optional OBD2 cable, but I have to check if it works on the Z.

So basically it uses pluses and minuses like a piggyback but has a lot of features and settings that an emanage doesn't have.
Old 08-22-2007 | 05:52 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by booger
Mine is 14.3 to 15.2 range at idle . And that would be cold start or warm . Thats why I asked .
His idle was tuned using the OBD2 scanner to keep an eye on short term fuel trims and get them close to 0. So it should be good and while running and in boost all checked with the dyno wideband.

Last edited by westpak; 08-22-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2007 | 06:03 PM
mario23

I just sat with the car idling for a bit to get you some more numbers. Its not that far off. The A/F's ranged between 14.7 and 15.8 while I sat there for about 5 minutes...
Old 08-22-2007 | 08:31 PM
Hexxum001

I have the IS too and it is great. I haven't used the video feature yet but plan to soon.
Old 08-23-2007 | 06:38 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Hexxum001
I have the IS too and it is great. I haven't used the video feature yet but plan to soon.
I would, it is such a nice feature, you can setup the min and max and where to have the bar change to yellow and when to change to red, you can also pick which parameters to show.
Old 08-23-2007 | 06:45 AM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by westpak
I would, it is such a nice feature, you can setup the min and max and where to have the bar change to yellow and when to change to red, you can also pick which parameters to show.

can it show manifold pressure(vaccum and boost).
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:15 AM
rrmedicx

How would you compare this to a UTEC per say? And how many sensors does it requires to work properly?
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:19 AM
TENGAI

Originally Posted by chris'smax
can it show manifold pressure(vaccum and boost).
Originally Posted by rrmedicx
How would you compare this to a UTEC per say? And how many sensors does it requires to work properly?
+1 to both questions... Any tuners out there care to share their opinions? We all know that the F-Con PRO is superior, but when looking at the iS vs. UTEC - what's the concensus? What would you (i.e. the tuner) run on your car if you could only pick between the two, and why?

Thanks in advance for any info provided...
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:42 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Nice set-up, I like the display on the HU...+2 on the UTEC comparisons.
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:44 AM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Alberto
+2 on the UTEC comparisons.
+3.. George or Sam care to comment on this please..
Old 08-23-2007 | 09:01 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Unfortunately although we can change the units of measurement for the maps I could not figure out how to do it for the video output, it doesn't seem to be possible, so the "OPT Pressure" in kPa is the boost. If you have the OBD2 cable you can also show fuel trims and if you have HKS DB gauges you can also show them on here. The main thing I like about it is that you can monitor to make sure your AF signal is still going to the iS.

The main thing the iS is not like the Utec is in the adjustments as they are still pluses and minuses as opposed to the complete control when running the Utec on SD mode, but as some have seen the control of that in the Utec is not always what is expected so if you know what the stock ECU is doing the timing corrections should not be a drawback with pluses and minuses adjustments.

The advantages is that it can adjust for larger injectors by doing an adjustment to the injectors across the board just like a rescaling factor.

Another big advantage is the air fuel feedback just like the V Pro.

To run the iS you can do it with just the pressure sensor to be able to do the maps based on boost.

Other features if you want added safety over what the ECU would do is set up maps based on intake temp, water temp, acceleration using ECU inputs for those.

You can also adjust when you want AF feedback to be active by throttle position or even cancel it for certain sections of the map. You can also do a map based on a trigger and you can have up to 3 additional fuel and ignition maps.
Old 08-23-2007 | 09:46 AM
theking

Except for the maps and video output doesn't the Emanage Ultimate do all these things? I still don't like offsetting timing because the stock computer's timing jumps all over the place. The AF feedback was a cool feature for the EU and the only hard part was setting it's response time and amount that it could adjust. Sounds like a little more creature comforts but still the same animal.
Originally Posted by westpak
Other features if you want added safety over what the ECU would do is set up maps based on intake temp, water temp, acceleration using ECU inputs for those.

You can also adjust when you want AF feedback to be active by throttle position or even cancel it for certain sections of the map. You can also do a map based on a trigger and you can have up to 3 additional fuel and ignition maps.
Old 08-23-2007 | 10:37 AM
rrmedicx

With that how is the ease of tuning with the IS vs. UTEC? Is it anything like the VPRO? Does it have any kind of self learning mode?
Old 08-23-2007 | 11:04 AM
BrianLG35C

So can the FCON V-Pro or FCON-IS be setup to display AF, Water Temp., etc. on a OEM Nav. screen?
Old 08-23-2007 | 11:19 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by theking
Except for the maps and video output doesn't the Emanage Ultimate do all these things? I still don't like offsetting timing because the stock computer's timing jumps all over the place. The AF feedback was a cool feature for the EU and the only hard part was setting it's response time and amount that it could adjust. Sounds like a little more creature comforts but still the same animal.
I have not liked the EU much, issues with rescaling and just bad units, haven't tried one in a while. The timing doesn't jump around "all over the place" do some runs at WOT and datalog them and they repeat very consistently and don't jump all over the place.

Quick Reply: HKS F-Con iS Tuning Thread