Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Will there every be a 50 state legal turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Fordmandan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will there every be a 50 state legal turbo kit?

I know nothing about imports, so bare with me. On this board people have mentioned turbo's not being legal in my state of CA. So is there such thing as a C.A.R.B. approved 50 state legal turbo kit? If so, do they have one for a 350Z? If not, what are the chances of one coming out in the future?

Also are twin turbo's way better than a single, or can a single turbo me made to work really well. I'm assuming single turbo > vortech SC. is that right?

Enlighten me please!

-dan
Old 09-15-2007, 08:09 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not usually one to say this. But use the SEARCH FUNCTION FOR GODS SAKE!!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

please read the top 100 questions and make sure it hasn't been asked before before posting anymore of your own.

https://my350z.com/forum/2003-2009-nissan-350z/197329-the-top-100-common-questions.html
Old 09-15-2007, 10:14 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Unlikely.

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 09-16-2007, 04:31 AM
Q45tech

Pretty much impossible to not exceed oem measured emissions IF you change the light off time for any cat............if you change distance to cat or remove heat from exhaust stream [what turns the turbo].

What kills most carb mods applications is the crank to warm up emission at cold idle and cruise [under 2500 rpm].

Superchargers are so much easier to pass and get approved since they don't affect oem exhaust thru cat.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:21 AM
zprincess

I am unsure why people need to read the top 100 questions before posting their own. How often are the answers to the top 100 questions updated?
If an answer was posted in 2003 is it still valid today?

What about getting other opinions other than those expressed by the answers in the top 100 questions?

Just wondering.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:45 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Q45tech
Pretty much impossible to not exceed oem measured emissions IF you change the light off time for any cat............if you change distance to cat or remove heat from exhaust stream [what turns the turbo].

What kills most carb mods applications is the crank to warm up emission at cold idle and cruise [under 2500 rpm].

Superchargers are so much easier to pass and get approved since they don't affect oem exhaust thru cat.
Well somehow factory turbo cars do it... how do they pass emissions?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:09 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it is not a matter of passing emissions. It is a matter of not disturbing what the auto manufacturer spend millions of dollars doing to pass tests. a turbo kit maker isn't going to spend the money to get the kit certified just to get more sales in 1 state.

you can pass a sniffer test with a turbo on a car...but you are concerned with getting past CA's crazy laws regarding mods and how they may affect the already hazy skies of southern Ca.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Fordmandan

Thanks for the replys. That sheds some light on the topic.

BTW, for the first two posters:

I do use the search button. I'm an active member of several boards so I know how it works and what's expected. When I searched for the info, someone said (in March of 06) that a company had nearly received carb approval for their twin turbo kit.
That got me thinking that possibly the single turbo's were easier to legalize than a twin set up. I obviously was mistaken.

Again, the import world is new to me. The only turbos I've ever messed with was on a Buick GN and my brother's 5.9 Cummins diesel.

Thanks to those who took the time.

-dan
Old 09-16-2007, 02:04 PM
DanielW
Banned

sts turbo kit has a carb number
Old 09-16-2007, 02:48 PM
I1DER

Originally Posted by zprincess
If an answer was posted in 2003 is it still valid today?
........Just wondering.
?

The answer that the world is flat is just as valid in 2003 as it is today.

But you do make a point that some answers may need to be amended/expanded with the model changes. However, 'The Top 100 common questions' was only started last year. Except for the 2007 engine, very few real changes have been made to the car.

If California secedes from the Union, there may be a kit that would be acceptable for the entire country.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Starchecker

No, next question.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Starchecker

Yeah to others, some turbo questions are pathetic and have been answered numerours times, but as he said this one is theoretically subject to change. I remember JWT really trying and promising to get it done. So who knows.

I remember when I was searching for information on FI, I would learn so much from threads that asked a question only to be followed by a flurry of "Use the F---in Search Feature." The rest of the posts would be filled with updated, pertinant and valuable information to me and others. I am so glad some people actually just answered the frickin question, because not all of the info was repeat.

So bottom line if you thinks it's a stupid redundant question, don't click on the frickin link and certainly don't post the "search or die" quote. It really doesn't help.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:59 AM
TENGAI

Well, one can wish... But I've also heard if you **** in one hand and wish in the other that you'll probably end up with a hand full of ****. Just a thought.