Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

what else do i have to change when gettin a turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 02:03 PM
steppinrazor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what else do i have to change when gettin a turbo kit

im currently saving up to purchase a turbo kit, im just wondering if any of the mods i already have are going to have to be changed out or what other things im going to have to do to make sure my engine is strong enough... i was told that im going to have to change out my exhaust(wich im hoping is not true, i just bought that) but i might be totally wrong and not have to do any of that..
Old 10-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can start with a basic kit, and a good tune/EMS, and add additional things later. You don't really HAVE to do anything, as long as you are OK with lower boost and power levels.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:09 PM
steppinrazor

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
You can start with a basic kit, and a good tune/EMS, and add additional things later. You don't really HAVE to do anything, as long as you are OK with lower boost and power levels.
so is a greddy turbo kit a basic kit? thats what i was looking at getting, and any experiance purchasing used... i would like a new one but it will take forever to save up for
Old 10-13-2007, 02:59 PM
failsafe306

Don't make me call in the search posse.....
Old 10-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Take a look at our Stage I Greddy package. That is a good safe start, and you can add more to your car later.
https://my350z.com/forum/engine/270261-greddy-tt-stage-packages-you-asked-here-it-is.html
Old 10-13-2007, 07:27 PM
BootieMAN

Originally Posted by ryano85
so is a greddy turbo kit a basic kit? thats what i was looking at getting, and any experiance purchasing used... i would like a new one but it will take forever to save up for
Personally, I would go with a new kit. That is unless you know who you're buying the kit from, and then it still could be a hassle with possible missing parts, no warrenty, etc.

Learn from others' mistakes with turbo kits. Do it right, and do it right the first time. Like Sharif mentioned, a good tune and EMS could be the difference between a smooth running FI beast or a huge headache.

The install and tune is just as important as the turbo kit. You should look into getting the kit and install / tune all at the same shop. Sharif is highly recommeded. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:29 PM
terps

I would upgrade the clutch now since I hear it a ***** after the fact and frankly you can get a good one for a grand and not need to worry about it unless you run mad boost and dawg the **** out of it... lol was just thinking about the amt of people who have lost there car on pinks over there clutches being done.. I would be heated
Old 10-14-2007, 09:19 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

test pipes or hfc
Old 10-14-2007, 10:35 AM
failsafe306

If you buy a kit used, make sure you get it from a forum member who has been here a while and has good iTrader feedback.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:42 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

im currently saving up to purchase a turbo kit, im just wondering if any of the mods i already have are going to have to be changed out or what other things im going to have to do to make sure my engine is strong enough... i was told that im going to have to change out my exhaust(wich im hoping is not true, i just bought that) but i might be totally wrong and not have to do any of that..

jwt pop charger, un pulley, kinetix v+ plenum, borla true duel exhaust

^ your listed mods -

Pop charger will be gone - all turbo kits come with their own intakes

UR pulley - the Risk is not worth the minute HP gain, especially when you are talking FI. My crank pulley is thought to have taken out my crank

Kinetix V+ - NO kinetix product should be on any Z car, let alone a boosted one. The plastic is ****. I have seen them warp and cause blown out gaskets (boost leaks), yes even the V+, and yes, even at <10 psi of boost

Borla - You could run this exhaust, though I would recommend at least jumping up to an APS 2.5" exhaust. Borla may be fine for 7-8 psi, but I have seen them be very restrictive on boosted cars.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 AM
steppinrazor

Originally Posted by Zivman
jwt pop charger, un pulley, kinetix v+ plenum, borla true duel exhaust

^ your listed mods -

Pop charger will be gone - all turbo kits come with their own intakes

UR pulley - the Risk is not worth the minute HP gain, especially when you are talking FI. My crank pulley is thought to have taken out my crank

Kinetix V+ - NO kinetix product should be on any Z car, let alone a boosted one. The plastic is ****. I have seen them warp and cause blown out gaskets (boost leaks), yes even the V+, and yes, even at <10 psi of boost

Borla - You could run this exhaust, though I would recommend at least jumping up to an APS 2.5" exhaust. Borla may be fine for 7-8 psi, but I have seen them be very restrictive on boosted cars.
would i still have to change all that if i got a supercharger?

as of right now im thinking more about the supercharger. im 22 and had to save up for a little over a year, putting any money i could posibly into my savings, just for a down payment plus i had 3 grand on my trade in.. meaning im pretty damn poor. I cant really afford to take a big risk with my car, although if there the same risk factor i will still go with one of them. I was told the supercharger is alot safer.. true?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:13 PM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Maybe a little safer. But they can all be "safe" tuned right. But then again nothing is safe not even the pop charger

I think you will be good with a S/c. Good luck with what you decide

Chris
Old 10-15-2007, 12:48 PM
blaukal

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Don't make me call in the search posse.....
Old 10-15-2007, 12:52 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just save and deal with it later when you are closer to actually doing it. In the meantime, go read the FI forum and learn.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Cannysage

APS TT is like 8k, I think.. greddy's easier on your wallet.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:11 PM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by Cannysage
APS TT is like 8k, I think.. greddy's easier on your wallet.
That's not exactly true, to bring the Greddy kit up to par with the out of box APS TT setup, will cost you close to the same.