Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

need info on issues w/ turbo oil seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
chris'smax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info on issues w/ turbo oil seals

Now that my car is nearing completion of my turbo kit (barring anymore crazy a$$ problems which i will DEFINETLY get in to later) i have started thinking about and researching typical problems that could arise from my twin turbo setup.

The one potential problem i am worried about is the blowing of the oil seals in the turbo. This problem worries me not only because it is expensive, but also as a result of my research on turbonetics and the fact that my SFR kit is using Turbonetics turbos. Now this is not intended to be a bashing session, but it seems as though alot of other car forums have had their fair share of problems w/ oil seals on the turbonetics turbos. From what i have seen most of the failures seem to occur in the ball bearing turbo units. To my knowledge the ceramic ball bearing turbos operate at a higher temperature than the typical journal bearing turbos ( due to the fact that ceramic gets very hot very quickly). With mine being non ball bearing is there less of a chance of seal failure? What measures can be taken to ensure decent life span of the turbo?

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

worry about issues as they happen. it makes life a little easier...

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Now that my car is nearing completion of my turbo kit (barring anymore crazy a$$ problems which i will DEFINETLY get in to later) i have started thinking about and researching typical problems that could arise from my twin turbo setup.

The one potential problem i am worried about is the blowing of the oil seals in the turbo. This problem worries me not only because it is expensive, but also as a result of my research on turbonetics and the fact that my SFR kit is using Turbonetics turbos. Now this is not intended to be a bashing session, but it seems as though alot of other car forums have had their fair share of problems w/ oil seals on the turbonetics turbos. From what i have seen most of the failures seem to occur in the ball bearing turbo units. To my knowledge the ceramic ball bearing turbos operate at a higher temperature than the typical journal bearing turbos ( due to the fact that ceramic gets very hot very quickly). With mine being non ball bearing is there less of a chance of seal failure? What measures can be taken to ensure decent life span of the turbo?

Thanks
Chris
Old 10-18-2007, 01:22 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can say that again. I hate to think of any problems before they happen. Most likely it will be the opposite.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:26 PM
chris'smax

thanks guys, but my past experiences has left me a little on edge.

Hell ask Sharif about how my luck is.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:29 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Chris,

We are doing a couple things to my car right now and my ball-bearing turbos have 30K miles on them and no blowing oil and no shaft play.I was pretty stoked.I expected a little shaft play but these things are like brand new.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:43 PM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Chris,

We are doing a couple things to my car right now and my ball-bearing turbos have 30K miles on them and no blowing oil and no shaft play.I was pretty stoked.I expected a little shaft play but these things are like brand new.

so do you think by using the oil scavaging pump it is helping to prolong the life of the turbos. I guess this method is superior to that of the turbonetics single turbo setup's drain back setup?