Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Randy,
Despite you wasting tons and tons of my time answering your emails and phone calls and several scheduled dyno appointments which you cancelled. And me re arranging personal obligations to accomodate you. Then take your car somewhere else anyway, I will respond to the issue your having. No hard feelings of course.
Good news:
Your turbos are fine..Greddy turbos need no restirctors this is common knowledge from any experienced VQ tuner/builder that had done one Greddy TT install.

Bad News:
You either blew a headgasket/WHITE SMOKE. Or your rings are leaking/broken causing loss of compression and blow by of oil (Blueish white smoke)
Your motor= FAIL.....

Now was it a build issue, break in issue or tuning issue. That is the question.
PS, how is this an amazing breakthrough??This seems like a $hitty occurance to me..Wish you the best of luck man.

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 11-18-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:52 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by westpak
with the "white smoke" report plus the fact that he had 575 RWHP at 11 pounds, it should have more like 475 RWHP, my fear is that they screwed up his engine with too much timing and basically a bad attempt at a tune.
Yup....Thats my thoughts also.

Last edited by ZU L8R; 11-18-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:53 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know first hand how these DIY turbo builds usually end up . At first you're thinking "Wow, I'm saving so much money and learning all of this cool stuff as a bonus!" Then reality hits and you find out that you would have been better off letting a single shop handle it all.

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles man.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by failsafe306
I know first hand how these DIY turbo builds usually end up . At first you're thinking "Wow, I'm saving so much money and learning all of this cool stuff as a bonus!" Then reality hits and you find out that you would have been better off letting a single shop handle it all.

Sorry to hear about all of your troubles man.
This is also a classic case of A shop sold the goods, B person put it together and C shop does the tune. Saves money when successful, however when NOT successful, this is where it ends up.
I am curious to see what failed exactly.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:41 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was away for the day and got a lot of feedback. The first thing I agree with is to check the oil return lines. I know that the Driver side was angled just a bit on a downward curve before it meets up with the oil pan spacer. Could this small dip create enough resistance to back up the turbo?

I guess no one has ever broken a seal on Greddy Turbos. That seems to be the least likely outcome.

Also, I was off site when the car was tuned, but apparently the tuner told me the BLUISH smoke (NOT WHITE) was unbearable, filled up the shop and smoked everyone out. It was coming immediately from the driver side exclusively.

Also there is also a Whining noise coming from the driver turbo side.
He informed me that looking under the hood it was clearly the turbo as smoke was backing up out of the intake pipe (w/filter removed).

Yeah, I agree 575 seems way off, but then again the dyno strap holding one side of the car down broke, and I stated this probably skewed the results. However, the next run was held down and did prove to achieve 545 rwhp.

Prior to the tune I was able to drive 1200 miles trouble free, of course the UTEC was programmed to no boost.

Julian, I tried to get to you, but I initially had a technical problem...Oil leak. (My fault) Once I corrected the problem, you told me you needed 2 weeks off (personal) which was fine. However, I really wanted to get this done before the winter in case of something like this. I chose to go to someone who I had a great experience with previously. Nothing personal. I would gladly have brought the car to you, but he got me started with the break in tune, and I felt obligated to then follow thru with at least the initial tune.

Have I spent a lot of money so far, YES but only for parts!!!
Did I spend the $2-3000 some dealers charge for a TT install...Absolutely not. That is a low number considering what I would have needed. Keep in mind I started with a short block which needed to be built up to a long block, then add the turbos, then a replacement tranny.
What would you charge for that? $5k in labor? I spent maybe $500 in tools, fluids, misc nuts and bolts, rtv, etc...

My experience has (this is the weepy part) brought me closer with my car. If anything sounds the least bit off, I can usually diagnose the problem and fix it immediately. This has helped me aid a number of my friends with their cars and their problems.
But back to the problem at hand.

I need to know if anyone using the Rev-up oil pump has had problems with their turbos. Any reported Rev-up oil pump failures to date???

My tuner is also telling me that after running the car the idle oil pressure seems unusually low around 15 psi at idle. Is this normal?

Last edited by rrmedicx; 11-18-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:47 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
My tuner is also telling me that after running the car the idle oil pressure seems unusually low around 15 psi at idle. Is this normal?
IIRC, the oil pressure on my Z was around 30psi at idle. You may have lost a lot of oil, so make sure he checks the oil level before running the car any more.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:56 PM
rrmedicx

Car is at my house and parked until I can yank out the turbos. He wants me to pull them both and get them replaced under warranty or repaired under warranty.

CORRECTION IT WAS BLUISH SMOKE, NOT WHITE (MY BAD). Also he told me that there was a clear turbo whine, which is also indicative of a bad turbo.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:22 PM
TheCajunStyle

Even after replacing the strap, 545rwhp @ 11 psi seems ??????
Old 11-18-2007, 04:24 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

so umm.. was it XXTuning or what?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 PM
rrmedicx

With 1000 hp cars on this forum, I doubt I'm impressing anyone. Really. come on.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:25 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by doug
so umm.. was it XXTuning or what?
No.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:27 PM
doug

No.
good.. but thats interesting because i did extensive research on the tuners in CT that had Z experience... the only one that came close in my research was XXTuning.. and they had a 40% approval rate... hence why i drove 3 hours to MRC when XXTuning is 25 mins from my house.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:31 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by TheCajunStyle
Even after replacing the strap, 545rwhp @ 11 psi seems ??????
That is a bit high... most of the cars I see at that power level are at least 13-15psi.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:44 PM
rrmedicx

I went to follow a tuner friend of mine Junior, who happens to be working at "The Shop" in CT. The Tuning is not the problem, as it seems to be a bad turbo. I have yet to open up the car and take the turbo it out, but based on his description of the problem, it is not the engine, but rather a failing turbo. Why it failed, who knows, bad luck I guess. This sucks. Yes, the turbo was new.
Am I 100% for sure, no. Until I get a chance to work on the car, I won't know for sure. I'll have to check the oil pan for any metal.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:46 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by taurran
That is a bit high... most of the cars I see at that power level are at least 13-15psi.
I purchased 12psi WG springs, but he told me that they settled at an even 11psi across the board. No boost controller was ever used. My smoking problems came before I had a need for Upping boost.

Last edited by rrmedicx; 11-18-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:53 PM
doug

I went to follow a tuner friend of mine Junior, who happens to be working at "The Shop" in CT. .

ahh.. in norwalk
Old 11-18-2007, 06:30 PM
Weqster

Can someone cliff notes the breakthrough to me.. I only see broken...??
Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Randy,

#1) you didnt need the 12 psi springs in the greddy kit.20+ psi is achievable on the 5lb ones.
#2)15 psi at idle for a rev up oil pump once the oil is warm is fine,this puts the oil pressure guage inbetween the first 2 marks on the guage.
#3)at 11 psi on normal timing and boost you should have seen about 480whp aprox.

Good luck, and try a compression test. I hope you did only blow a turbo seal,however it is very rare.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im still confused on the title to this thread...
Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
im still confused on the title to this thread...
+1 Maybe the title was supposed to read "Amazing Breakdown..........." , not "breakthrough."

I would chalk up the high RWHP levels to a big correction factor on that dyno. You'd be the 1st guy to make that kind of power (545 or 575) at 11 psi on a greddy kit.

one other thing to check.....take off your oil filler cap while idling and take look to see how smoke is coming out of the filler neck? Small amounts are normal, but if it is chugging like a Choo-Choo, then you probably have rings or ringland issues.

Quick Reply: Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build