Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 05:46 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Junior for helping me to make some sense of this. And I apologize for putting some bad info up there. I have to admit, a big part of me was so excited to here some big numbers, I couldn't wait to share that info even though the other side of me was pissed something new failed.

I PM'd you the VIN to get that screen you are looking for. I'll be in touch when I can get a garage ready to pull the motor.
Thanks for the props. Can't wait to get this car back up and on the road. Hopefully I won't be working in the snow Thursday/Friday.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Jason333
hi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe after the holiday.

Last edited by Jason333; 11-22-2007 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:25 PM
rrmedicx

Wow, I can't believe this back and forth. Let me take a second to set some things straight.

I started with a Procharger in 2004, i installed it over a weekend...Never knew 1/10 about the car as I do now. I had no leaks, no smoke. the car ran well, but had no idea about what power I was making until I brought it to MRC. the only reason I chose to go to MRC was because of a club Dyno Day. Otherwise, I knew nothing about the place. I am glad to have found it. I made a measley 330 hp without any tuning & stock injectors.
As Julian said, because it was never tuned it required some tweaking which he and his crew helped to fix. At that point Julian recommended upgrading the EMS to UTEC, a FRS and bigger injectors. Your prices unfortunately were out of my range, so I began to research my car, and began to shop for parts myself. I found what I needed for much less.
Then in 2006, I returned to MRC for a tune for my Turbonetics set up, which I followed your advice and got the UTEC, bigger injectors and a FPR. I got a lot of attitude for the DIY on that Turbo set up.
Netted a measley 350hp and 8psi. I didn't keep the dyno sheet only because I was truly expecting +400hp with all of the extra bells and whistles (UTEC, FPR and bigger injectors). Afterall, stock Turbonetics kits with the simple reflash makes more hp than my set-up...Kind of embarrassing. Yes, I blew off 2 couplings, and yes i had an oil return line leak. My Fault.
A few months later, I installed a set of cams and went to ICS in CT to meet Junior, who turned up the boost a bit to 9.5 and netted me just over 400hp. I was very happy, the tune was clean and very linear. And best of all, I was in the 400 club!
8 months later, my tranny went. I took advantage of this opportunity to go big and replace the stock block as well. I checked with Julian who recommended against it, I think because you were worried about overall cost and long term reliability.
I decided to go for it, did my research both with local mechanics, tuners, friends, forum members and the web. I succeeded in building the block, installing the turbo's putting it all in the car along with a replacement tranny and a laundry list of upgraded parts as well.
I broke the car in last month and finally had my first chance to get the car on a dyno and blew a turbo in the process of tuning. I will replace the turbo and try it again. I consider this a part of the process. Nothing is perfect the first time.
I have respect for you Julian, as you do good work, you helped me in my time of need and you are very knowledgeable.
I do however think you have a "thing" for DIY'ers like myself. I don't think you feel anyone can do the level of work that you do at your shop. But you are not the only shop out there.
Yes, building the block was a huge undertaking, but obviously it can be done. If I didn't have a turbo failure, I would be racing my car around Queens/Brooklyn/Long Island right now.
I have found another Tuner who doesn't mind the DIY'er and can appreciate the time and energy invested in learning about the car and putting in all of the necessary hours to figure things out. Junior has since moved from ICS to "the Shop" and is very knowledgeable about the art of tuning. He has a lot of experience with a variety of cars including VQ's, Subie's, Evo's, Vette's, Vipers, Skylines, etc...

I trust both tuners, but at this time I am committed to following thru with Junior. Nothing personal Julian, but as you stated, it is better to stick with just one cook.

Thank you all for your help thus far.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:28 AM
grdstorm

I can definitely see your point MRC. As a vendor it gets very fustrating when you invest a lot of time and effort into a client and have them later on just turn their back on you in order to get a better deal somewhere else. IMO it is however a bit cowardly and unprofessional to take cheap shots at the guy on a public forum infront of a lot of members and people who potential know Randy on a more personal level. If I were you i would have certainly PM'ed, emailed, called to vent privately.

It seems Randy has nothing but good things to say about your shop and your skills as a tuner. Lets just all hope Randy the best, he has come a long way.

BTW - Randy I might have a spot for you to work on your car. Call Kev if you don't have my #. Its Adam btw
Old 11-23-2007, 07:33 AM
zmedic16

Randy went a loong way from a procharger to a TN kit, to a fully built greddy TT. not many people cant say they did all the installs themselves. Who on the other hand would pay more attention to ur investment than yourself? and save THOUSANDS. i admire Randy's way of thinking... im pretty sure he had a severe headaque with the oil leaks, breaking in the car, the build itself, and now the turbo giving up on him. What people dont realize is that these are things that happen to professionals... Here in N.Y.C he is known for Mr DIY. Not To mention He has done things for members of local car clubs and including myself that shops would charge hundreds of dollars FOR NOTHING IN RETURN..... he wouldnt take the money if u tried to pay him lol, all he asks is for u to participate and learn. Guys like that are hard to find in this city. Julian is a cool dude and so is junior and im pretty sure they go the extra mile for their customers. you guys both helped to a bigger cause.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:18 PM
grdstorm

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
FYI I never took a cheap shot at Randy, Where did you come up with that from? Randy is a good guy,and as I said I have no personal ill feelings towards him. Randy has always been a bit set in his ways in trying to cut corners and get the best deals. There is nothing wrong with that IMHO. The only ill feelings I have is how Randy "fished" for all sorts of advice and reccomendations from myself as well as several others. In the end he did what he wanted to and followed some ill advice of some amature wrench swingers on the forums. I honestly feel really bad for him and what he has been through with his car,but he will work it through.
I do however have an issue with a person with 2 posts calling me a coward on the forums,its uncalled for.

Lets be honest here... you know exactly what type of emotion you were putting into your posts in this thread. Like I stated before, I sincerely understand where you are coming from... however when you drag that attitude on post after post it gets to be a bit annoying. Now you as well as I know that Randy is an extremely nice and respectful person. For you to call him out on his thread is low IMO. You stated at least twice that Randy was fishing for free information among other things which speak negative about his character.

Was that really necessary? Was your intent to vent about the issues you were having with Randy or to defame him in some manner? I certainly think you could have handled it a different way (PM, e-mail phone call). Whatever issues you had with Randy did not have to be shared with the rest of the community. Instead it looks like you are trying to make an example out of Randy. You say good luck and you support the DIY'er however you have mentioned a few times in this thread your feelings on A+B+C=disaster. Thats definitely a valid opinion and one that I share most of the time but lets not crowd someone else's thread.

My intentions on posting is not to argue or attack you in any way. To be honest with you I don't own a Z nor do I own a Nissan. I frequent the forums in part due to a certain friend always sending me links to parts he wants to buy(idiot ). I am a fellow shop owner so I do know where you are coming from to a certain degree.

I know Randy personally and he is a gentlemen. I just wanted to post what really needed to be said.

EDIT: BTW I didn't call you a coward, the way you are communicating your fustrations is a bit cowardly. There is a difference.

Last edited by grdstorm; 11-23-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:31 AM
rrmedicx

This was my dyno sheet with the Turbonetics after Junior tuned it.

I wanted 400hp and he got it with some real precision tuning. Look at that Power curve, very linear and clean. No hiccups.

I am hoping for the same precision, once I get this Turbo problem worked out.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:25 AM
Cube

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
very linear
Holy jeebus! Nicely done...
Old 11-25-2007, 11:15 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I wanted 400hp and he got it with some real precision tuning. Look at that Power curve, very linear and clean. No hiccups.

Do you have the before and after dynos on the tune with the boost mapped also? Keep in mind Randy, two different types of Dynos here.That is from a Dyno jet, an inertia based dyno that tends to carry power higer into redline than a load based Dyno Dynamics, due to the weight and inertia of the rollers giving the car momentum.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:01 PM
rrmedicx

Guys, for the record, I am not worried about my image. I know who I am, and those who know me know I am honest and straight forward. If I am not happy with something I will tell you. Yes, like most of you on this forum, this forum is a tool. It is used as a search venue and guess what, when you can't find something you generally ask questions. Those who don't know and obviously want to learn, ask questions to those who are in the know. I am interested in learning as much about my car as I possibly can. I have asked just about every vendor on this forum as well as other members for advice on something or another. I feel I have made some excellent decisions and some not so good decisions. Yes, for a first timer engine builder, it is an absolute learning process. But my car works. There was a problem with a turbo. This can happen to anyone at anytime.
I will get it fixed and get my car back on the road. It will make plenty of power and I will be happy again.
Not too many people on this forum can say they did the same. Well maybe a few LOL but the majority of folks out there are either too scared and afraid of breaking something. Did my install go without any problems, no. I had my share, but all in all, it runs.
I can't wait to get this thing together. I just need a garage to do the work.
I'll keep you posted.

Julian, if I can find any other dyno sheets, I'll of course post them up. It might be on my other computer. I'll check it out.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Randy, make sure to let us know the results of returning/getting the turbo checked out... and if the Turbo is indeed the problem (not disputing), etc, etc.

congrats on getting this far! small hiccup, and you will make it through no problem I am sure.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:31 AM
zmedic16

ooohh boy this thread is going South quick. guys no need to bash eachother nor ur abilities to tune.... i personaly feel comfortable taking my car to either of u guys for a utec tune. but in the other hand it would be nice to go to englishtown and see a nice shootout of 10 sec cars from a couple of the best tuners in the tri-state area. too bad its already closed. This thread is not going were randy ment it to go.... an informative thread to the DIY's guys and the enthusiast.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:38 AM
gchoi78

I remember this day. Someone was very very happy that day. hahahaha...
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

rrmedicx, you have done a service to the 350z community. Thank you. I hope it all works out for you. Update us when you get the turbo issue sorted
Old 11-26-2007, 01:14 PM
gNaRKiLL

Two words for MRC

SERENITY NOW!!!

To the op let us know when you figure out whats wrong. You might try and find one of those shops that allows people to work on their own stuff or something I know they're out there because ive seen them.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

While i was not the super mod who did the orignal unapproving i have cleared the rest of the OT stuff now.

Junior the post you have referenced has been unapproved as well i hope this time you are truely done.
Now you are 100 percent right Julian may not be very tactful in the way he says things nore do I blame you for being upset.
But private message are called private for a reason. So as I see it vendor or not you are both in the wrong.
If you have a problem with my decision please feel free to PM me.
As i said I side with you in some of the things you have said but I do not side with the continuation of more useless drama.
Vendor status or none vendor status.
I hope this post helps sort things out.

:edit:
And to randy I hope you get everything working with your car..you were the reason I went FI when I met you two HIN's ago at HIN NYC. When you still had your TN kit. So I wish you the best man and I am hopefully giving you your thread back

Last edited by r0mey; 11-26-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:17 AM
rrmedicx

I hope to have found a shop in Queens to work on my car. I should be able to get the motor out in a day or 2. I still have a couple of vacation days left for the year. Once out, I plan to remove both turbo's. Check the bearings for any metal. Replace that crank pulley with a fluidamper pulley sitting in my closet. Perhaps put on some turbo jackets to redirect some of that excess heat filling up my engine bay. Replace the oil AEM temp sensor I installed, I think it died, and thats about it.

I don't think I will have access to the garage until next week. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks everyone for the support. Hey if it wasn't for a little drama it wouldn't be my350z. You know how it is. LOL. Just enjoy your Z for what its worth. I can't wait to start enjoying mine.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Kenk2
Professional

IMHO, I think your turbos are fine... I honestly hope I am 100% wrong... Cutting corners in a build is not something you do with this or any car.. When we talked on the phone about your tuning, you mentioned about the issue you had with your CJM Return Fuel System.. Now I am not saying this has anything to do with that but if you cut a corner there, where else were you not 100%?
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 AM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by Kenk2
IMHO, I think your turbos are fine... I honestly hope I am 100% wrong... Cutting corners in a build is not something you do with this or any car.. When we talked on the phone about your tuning, you mentioned about the issue you had with your CJM Return Fuel System.. Now I am not saying this has anything to do with that but if you cut a corner there, where else were you not 100%?
Whoa, Whoa, I don't cut corners! Someone else said that, not me! Ken, can't you tell just by the parts I chose to use, that I did not cut any corners. CJM stage 2 upgrade was installed to repair a broken piece from the stage 1 where the original under car line meets the CJ SS feed line up to the rails. Simple upgrade/fix.
That's it.
I turned every wrench on this install to make sure things are done right. Torque specs are on point and every single gasket was replaced, down to the tiniest O-ring, with something stock or better. RTV placed on every joint for oil feed & return to prevent any potential for leaks.
I took my time. This build was certainly not done overnight.

I hope its not a turbo too, but I have to start somewhere.

Anyone have any thoughts on oil restrictor fittings that feed the turbo's?

I sent a feeler to ATP turbo products regarding oil restrictors and they are asking me about oil pressure #'s. I find that to be a terribly difficult question to answer since oil pressure changes with RPM. Any thoughts on how best to respond. They can provide me with the necessary restrictor if I can give them an oil pressure figure.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 AM
go-fast
Banned

Whoa, Whoa, I don't cut corners! Someone else said that, not me! Ken, can't you tell just by the parts I chose to use, that I did not cut any corners. CJM stage 2 upgrade was installed to repair a broken piece from the stage 1 where the original under car line meets the CJ SS feed line up to the rails. Simple upgrade/fix.
That's it.
I turned every wrench on this install to make sure things are done right. Torque specs are on point and every single gasket was replaced, down to the tiniest O-ring, with something stock or better. RTV placed on every joint for oil feed & return to prevent any potential for leaks.
I took my time. This build was certainly not done overnight.

I hope its not a turbo too, but I have to start somewhere.

Anyone have any thoughts on oil restrictor fittings that feed the turbo's?

I sent a feeler to ATP turbo products regarding oil restrictors and they are asking me about oil pressure #'s. I find that to be a terribly difficult question to answer since oil pressure changes with RPM. Any thoughts on how best to respond. They can provide me with the necessary restrictor if I can give them an oil pressure figure.
they want max pressure hot

Quick Reply: Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build