Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
I didn't realize it was possible to monitor A/F on both sides when tuning.
Why wouldnt it be?
Old 12-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I appreciate your input. Definitely something to think about. But as you said, you and I are both just speculating (internet diagnosing). Once I get the engine back to Texas, I will get some more definitive answers from Kyle and I can move forward from there.
Yes, but from my personal experience,Im almost willing to bet my diagnosis is dead on spot..Also, was the lower compression side of the motor, the side with the BAD TURBO? You failed to clarify this for us all on this break through..
Old 12-19-2007, 09:13 PM
weelman1

Default C U N JUNE 4 my tune

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Yes, but from my personal experience,Im almost willing to bet my diagnosis is dead on spot..Also, was the lower compression side of the motor, the side with the BAD TURBO? You failed to clarify this for us all on this break through..
Originally Posted by JuniorTT
The car had the DEATH WHINE... Its a notorious and unmistakable sound. Whine, and then smoke... All from the driver side. Not to mention oil in the inlet of the turbo..
Intresting read... I wish the op well
Old 12-20-2007, 04:10 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by JuniorTT
The car had the DEATH WHINE... Its a notorious and unmistakable sound. Whine, and then smoke... All from the driver side. Not to mention oil in the inlet of the turbo..
Ahh found my answer...This clarifies alot and confirms my personal theories about what happened. The lower compression Cylinders 2-4-6 are on the drivers side,same side the "Death Wine" occured and oil was found in the turbine inlet.
Diagnosis: Pices of ringlands and pistons came off and went in to the turbine following a major detonation event.
I am alomost 100% certain this is what happened.I would bet money on it.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like I said, it sounds very plausible, but I still can't say anything until my motor gets to Texas for Kyle to explore. It was picked up yesterday (Wednesday 12/19) and I hope that it won't be too long before I get some answers. (Although...It is the holiday season)

Meanwhile I looked at the turbo's yesterday for the first time and they didn't seem too bad to be honest. But of course that is without opening them up. I can't do that until Greddy decides what they want to do with them.
Here are a couple of pics.
Turbo #1

Turbo #2

The blades seem OK (I'm no expert), and they both spin seemingly without resistance, but that is not to say that there couldn't be any metal on the inside, in between the 2 blades/on the axle...But hopefully when the motor comes back, I will have my answers on the turbo.

Meanwhile, in case my deal with Greddy goes sour, does any one know where to get a turbo rebuilt? or at least thoroughly inspected?

I am not anticipating the worst from Greddy, as the turbo's are still under warranty, but Just in case...I'd rather send them out sooner than later, so when the motor comes back, I'm not stuck waiting for the turbos to re-assemble the car.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:26 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Just FYI for those now considering dual widebands for all future builds, you can read the stock WB sensors on all late model Zs/Gs using Cipher. Accuracy in rich conditions is poor, but if the AFR comes up over 12, I've found they're not too far off from my TXS tuner wideband (so at least you'd know if something bad is happening).
Old 12-20-2007, 04:27 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Meanwhile, in case my deal with Greddy goes sour, does any one know where to get a turbo rebuilt? or at least thoroughly inspected?

SGP, they offer a 20G upgrade option.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 AM
taurran

edit: I'm retarded.

Last edited by taurran; 12-20-2007 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:51 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by taurran
Is it just me or do the blades look like they're a bit chewed up on this turbo? Not trying to jump to conclusions, but it could support Julian's theory that it ingested something related to a motor issue.

Was turbo #1 on the problem cylinder bank?
That end of the turbo wont see engine parts, if it is the driver's side it usually get the most dirt specially if still using the Greddy mushroom intake filter.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:58 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by westpak
That end of the turbo wont see engine parts, if it is the driver's side it usually get the most dirt specially if still using the Greddy mushroom intake filter.
Oh geez.. it's early I have no idea what I'm thinking.

I'll consider myself owned.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:23 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Originally Posted by westpak
with the "white smoke" report plus the fact that he had 575 RWHP at 11 pounds, it should have more like 475 RWHP, my fear is that they screwed up his engine with too much timing and basically a bad attempt at a tune.
to get 575 whp on 11psi on a 3.54L engine (.020 over) you would need to be running like 25+ degrees of timing in areas that should be seeing 15 degrees... woops
Old 12-20-2007, 07:27 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
to get 575 whp on 11psi on a 3.54L engine (.020 over) you would need to be running like 25+ degrees of timing in areas that should be seeing 15 degrees... woops
Im glad Im not the only one who sees it for what it is..
Old 12-20-2007, 07:29 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad tune?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 AM
taurran

Im glad Im not the only one who sees it for what it is..
Sadly enough, I dont think you're the only one. Most here just don't want to say it.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:33 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by gothchick
Bad tune?
Well, Its 100% obvious that its not just a bad turbo as Junior originally suggested. The side of the motor the bad turbo was on has shown to have signifigantly lower compression. We will have to wait to see when the engine is torn down what the report is..And draw our own conclusions from that,however I had my judgment passed from post #1 of this thread.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

So whats the update Randy?
And where has Junior been? He replied alot to my posts then stopped all of a sudden. Did he realize he was responsible for your motor blowing??
Old 12-28-2007, 10:06 AM
USED

Damn those low knock threshold FI'd VQ's
Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 AM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
Please fellas, enough already, as I stated, maybe I got a little over excited with numbers, but that number (575) is flawed due to the fact that the car jumped off of the rollers since a strap broke. So lets just get that out of the way.
I am still waiting to hear from Kyle who is actively disecting the motor as we speak. Once we deal with that end of things, I'll put it back in and give it another go.
Perhaps I will even entertain an upgraded EMS.We will see.
Maybe something with a little better control than the UTEC.
There is a lot of good stuff out there, but I was considering either the Haltech or Pro EFI.
Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:21 AM
rrmedicx

So whats the update Randy?
And where has Junior been? He replied alot to my posts then stopped all of a sudden. Did he realize he was responsible for your motor blowing??
He doesn't really follow the forums much. The only reason he even got on board to begin with is because I explained to him that I did a Sh&t *** job of explaining the events that took place being that I wasn't there when he was working on the car. So he stepped up and got on board to put things in plain English.

It really doesn't help to discuss it any further until I hear from Kyle. So until then, I'll just sit tight.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:34 PM
rrmedicx

OK. On a preliminary tear down, it appears that there are 4 bearing that have fried. 2 rod bearings and 2 main bearings.

Rings are all intact. (I found this to be very surprising)

Now, I need a little help in understanding why smoke would come from the driver side only. Would bearing failure smoke up and create a trail of smoke on only 1 side of the engine? If not than I guess the turbo bearings may have failed also. That might explain the driver side smoking. Justifying the whine. (Perhaps caused form metal flakes getting pushed into the turbo oil feed line.)

I still need help finding a reputable shop to evaluate a set of greddy turbos.
I have the option of going to a shop in CT, but I was hoping to find something closer to home (NYC). If not, I'm heading up to CT Monday.

I'll share more details when I get more info.

Quick Reply: Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build