Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech 3.12 vs 2.87 on revup motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:07 AM
james12345pt

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Vortech 3.12 vs 2.87 on revup motor

1) How much hp and torque does each of these pullies product on a revup motor with all the NA bolt ons except cams?
2) Does the 2.87 pulley max out the supercharger's rpms
3) What would traction be like with 3.9 gear FD?
4) How safe is the vortech with the 2.87 pulley?
I plan to be FI by March so I'm looking for alot of advise, thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:52 AM
MrJax
Fights On!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of your questions can be answered here:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/270770-vortech-faq-read-this-before-asking-vortech-questions.html

and you might want to consider this as an alternative to over-spinning your supercharger at redline:

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/319254-si-trim-vortech.html

sentry65 probably has the most horsepower on the stock-block (non-RevUp, I think) and certainly knows the most about the changes you are considering (but, before you PM him make sure you have done your 'homework', he is a 'very busy man').

Good luck and welcome to the never-ending merry-go-round that is FI
Old 01-17-2008, 06:00 AM
MrJax
Fights On!

Oh, and to answer your first question, check my sig for the modifications and then review these final dyno's on the 3.12 pulley.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:14 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by MrJax
Oh, and to answer your first question, check my sig for the modifications and then review these final dyno's on the 3.12 pulley.

thats weak for a dynapack
Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by james12345pt
1) How much hp and torque does each of these pullies product on a revup motor with all the NA bolt ons except cams?
2) Does the 2.87 pulley max out the supercharger's rpms
3) What would traction be like with 3.9 gear FD?
4) How safe is the vortech with the 2.87 pulley?
I plan to be FI by March so I'm looking for alot of advise, thanks in advance!!!
1. The REVUP kit already comes with the 3.12 pulley. But they changed the cog pulley diameters to bring the spinning back down. So going with the 2.87 would probably add around 30 tq from 4500 rpms to redline. That'd be roughly 40 whp on a REVUP engine

2. The 2.87 pretty much does max out the rpms for the REVUP engine with the REVUP's higher redline. You can go higher though if you switch the cog pulleys out to the ones the non-revup kit comes with and make more power, but that's at your own risk. You'll probably have to replace the bearings or even the impeller more often. Vortech won't take any pitty on you if way overspin the blower

3. I went into more depth about the 3.9 in your other thread here:
https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/331454-vortech-traction-issues.html
the 3.9 does reduce your traction and gives you more acceleration. I only recommend it if you are getting some wide sticky tires.

4. The 2.87 IMO is perfectly reliable if you set it up with the right parts - fuel system, injectors, good tune, maybe oil cooler, stay on top of maintenance, and don't push the car hard if it's not running right (like too lean for instance) etc
Preferably with water/meth injection and higher than 91 octane gas, but I wouldn't say those are required

Last edited by sentry65; 01-27-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:16 PM
MrJax
Fights On!

Originally Posted by 9kFever
thats weak for a dynapack
Well, that's a matter of perspective. It's more about the area under the curves and where the torque peaks out. Mark (at SGP) and I discussed the uses for this tune as a daily driver with an emphasis on the most useable power while maintaining reliability as near to stock as possible. There was a great deal of care given to the tune as evidenced by the near flat horsepower curve and minimal deviations in the torque 'bow'.

No, I don't have 'bragging rights' like some folks in the FI section (booger and sentry65 being the stand-outs in this crowd) but that's all right.

I'm happy to be FI for a whole lot less than the cost of a GT-R
Old 01-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Hexxum001

Well, that's a matter of perspective. It's more about the area under the curves and where the torque peaks out. Mark (at SGP) and I discussed the uses for this tune as a daily driver with an emphasis on the most useable power while maintaining reliability as near to stock as possible. There was a great deal of care given to the tune as evidenced by the near flat horsepower curve and minimal deviations in the torque 'bow'.

No, I don't have 'bragging rights' like some folks in the FI section (booger and sentry65 being the stand-outs in this crowd) but that's all right.

Great point. Sometimes people focus too much on peak numbers. Big peak numbers can be impressive but it's the area under the curve that matter the most. I just recently had my G on GTM's dyno. My peak numbers didn't increase but I gained almost 30 ft lbs of torque under the curve than my previous tune. I could definitely feel the difference on my butt dyno too. I am more than happy with my new numbers.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll never get close to what others can put out with the Vortech . The AT5 tranny takes care of that . And the dyno I run on doesnt put out dyno queen numbers either . But when Im done , I would love to run some of the top whp Vortech cars on this site to really compare !!!!!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:13 PM
MrJax
Fights On!

/\ /\ /\ /\ REAL world, not numbers........FTW