Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Si TRIM VORTECH.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 PM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink Si TRIM VORTECH.

Hi i am new to my350z.com but not new to the 350z and vortech's. i have been on some of the "other" forums for years now but relized my 350z is the best forum for technical insight and enthusiest that work on there own z such as i do. I am very impressed with people on this sight with there knowlege and know how.i have had my car tuned at GTM by Sam ( great guy!) and have talked with sentry65 on some seperate occasions. i will give a basic low down on what set up i am running now on my 2005 35th z. the engine is original stock block and heads for now with 14000 miles. no internals or cam's. will be comencing built gtm stroker engine in the near future with s-7 rev up cams. this car is not my DD and i run it on 100 octane exclusivly.(considering water methenol injection after built engine installed)

1.vortech v-2 sq trim ( rev up )
2.87 serp pully
32 jack shaft cog( originnally 34 )
28 s/c cog ( originally 32 )
gates belt vs, gator back. the goodyear belt suck's IMO.
no belt slip issues at this time YET!!!!!!! rev up system belt set-up seem's to be working very well.
13psi at 7100 RPM,(OVERSPEEDING BLOWER) even though i usually only rev to 6600. 11 psi at 6600.
this setup brings me back into the non revup vortech spec's which allows me to make more boost earlier in the rev range, and more peak boost.

2.MREV-2 lower plenum with 5/16 spacer plus aramid gasket kit.

3.stillen headers.

4.aps 2.5" down pipes.

5.aps 2.5" dual exhaust.

6.cjm stage 1 return fuel system.

7.rc 550 injectors.

8.stillen oil cooler.

9.custom s/c oil cooler i fabricated myself for s/c lubricating oil to keep the s/c temps down as much as possible.

10.u-tech piggy back with map sensor, plus remote map switch.

11.custom CAI i designed myself with 6" velocity stack intrgrated.

12.innovate A/F gauge

13.defi boost and fuel pressure gauges.

14. technosquare "L" FLASH on nissan ecu.

15.all FI ducting thermo wrapped.

16.AAM throttle body spacer.

17.custom dual catch can setup ( vented to atmoshpere ).

I will not list my drive line,suspension and other mod's seeing this thread is not about that.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL QUESTION.
Has anyone considered or modded there V-2 sq to a Si trim? the reason i am asking is the Si trim has a little better impeller speed 55,000 versus 53,000. psig max is 26 versus 20, horse power potential is 775 versus 680 and the best thing is the isentropic efficiency is 78% versus 75%. i know some people are going with the t trim but are having belt slipping issues at that level.
basically i am trying to plan my s/c set up for when i have my engine built and running. plus i will be running a 100 shot of NOS in the mix for when i need it at the track. look forward to hearing back from you guy's! i will gladly appreciate any suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Si TRIM VORTECH.-z-pics-002.jpg  

Last edited by JET MECH; 12-04-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 PM
sentry65
the burninator

I'm not finding an Si-trim on their site. Do you have a link or were you talking with a vortech rep?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:30 PM
JET MECH

it is not on there web site. it is located in there 2007 hard catalouge i got at SEMA.i do not know why they don't list it on there web site? but this trim does exist.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:34 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah that would be a good blower upgrade to consider.

Even the T-trim's peak efficiency is 75% so it sounds like it might be a decent compromise between a T-trim and normal SC-trim

I'd like to see more info on it and an actual compressor graph
Old 12-04-2007, 12:38 PM
JET MECH

the E trim is the next step up from the Si trim. E trim specs are

IMPELLER SPEED( MAX) = 65000 RPM.
PSIG(MAX) 24.
FLOW CFM ( MAX)=1,150.
HORSE POWER( APPROX)=750
ISENTROPIC EFFICIENCY=76%.
The Si trim seem's to be more efficient. the E trim just allows you to spin the s/c faster but with a little less efficiency.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:42 PM
JET MECH

i could not find the compressor graph for the Si trim or E trim as well. i would like to see it to look at there performance values at different compressor rpm's.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:46 PM
JET MECH

i will be talking to vortech tommorow to see what the cost will be to upgrade my current SC trim to a Si trim. also considering having the s/c head unit polished by vortech while it is torn down. why not add a little "BLING" at this point.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah I've seen that E-trim sitting there on their site for awhile (http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...p=8&cat_key=17) but there's never been any specs on it. It sounds pretty promising

the big assumption I'm making here is it uses the same V2 housing so it should just fit like the SC does.

that 65k rpm limit sounds pretty nice though. the main thing is to see a compressor map graphed out and compare them to each other. Then it's just a matter of what you want. In theory, that E-trim can happily rev to 7500 rpms with a 2.87 pulley and a larger 34 tooth cog pulley (for non-revup engines) but of course how severe the belt slip issues with that are uncharted territory
Old 12-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Hexxum001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, nice setup bro. I am also a GTM built and tuned RevUp. I'm not quite at your power level though. You have a bit more on your Z than I do on my G. Aren't you concerned about overspinning your blower? With the 2.87 pulley, 32 tooth jackshaft and 28 tooth cog pulley, you reach max. impeller speed at 6400rpm.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Hexxum001

Originally Posted by sentry65
yeah I've seen that E-trim sitting there on their site for awhile (http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...p=8&cat_key=17) but there's never been any specs on it. It sounds pretty promising

the big assumption I'm making here is it uses the same V2 housing so it should just fit like the SC does.

that 65k rpm limit sounds pretty nice though. the main thing is to see a compressor map graphed out and compare them to each other. Then it's just a matter of what you want. In theory, that E-trim can happily rev to 7500 rpms with a 2.87 pulley and a larger 34 tooth cog pulley (for non-revup engines) but of course how severe the belt slip issues with that are uncharted territory
That definitely might be something to look into. I haven't gone with the 32T jackshaft and 28T cog pulleys because I already had my blower go bad once and didn't want to risk it going out again by overspinning it. A blower that can spin to 7500 rpm with the 2.87 pulley would definitely solve that issue. I wouldn't rev that high anyways.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:02 PM
JET MECH

Originally Posted by Hexxum001
Wow, nice setup bro. I am also a GTM built and tuned RevUp. I'm not quite at your power level though. You have a bit more on your Z than I do on my G. Aren't you concerned about overspinning your blower? With the 2.87 pulley, 32 tooth jackshaft and 28 tooth cog pulley, you reach max. impeller speed at 6400rpm.
yes! you can feel the engine stop pulling at around 6700 rpm, that is why i generaly shift at 6600 rpm's. but what is nice about the way i set it up is the boost comes in a lot sooner (5psi by 4000rpm's). i was willing to sacrifice power at 7100rpm for more low to mid range grunt where i normaly drive at. that is why i think with at Si trim upgrade i can get that 7000 rpm power back.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts

Originally Posted by JET MECH
32 jack shaft cog( originnally 34 )

11.custom CAI i designed myself with 6" velocity stack intrgrated.

did you go down in teeth to slow the blower down?

pics of number 11...........willing to make another and sale it?

SI trim..........maybe we can get a badge for the rear of the car...... Nice setup btw.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 PM
JET MECH

Originally Posted by sentry65

sentry65 do you think with the E trim it will just build boost later in the RPM band due to it's high impeller speed? does this blower exists for more high reving small displacement engines?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:08 PM
Hexxum001

yes! you can feel the engine stop pulling at around 6700 rpm, that is why i generaly shift at 6600 rpm's. but what is nice about the way i set it up is the boost comes in a lot sooner (5psi by 4000rpm's). i was willing to sacrifice power at 7100rpm for more low to mid range grunt where i normaly drive at. that is why i think with at Si trim upgrade i can get that 7000 rpm power back.
Definitely let us know what you find out about the Si trim upgrade. If that works for you, I will probably go with your exact pulley setup. Like I said, I haven't done it yet for fear of overspinning the blower and having more bearing issues. I had one of the defective blowers sold this summer, and I would hate to have my G down another 3 weeks or so with more bearing problems.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:14 PM
sentry65
the burninator

sentry65 do you think with the E trim it will just build boost later in the RPM band due to it's high impeller speed? does this blower exists for more high reving small displacement engines?
I'm really not sure. I don't know what they did to get it to do that. There's usually always a trade off of sorts. I'd really have to see a compressor chart to reach any initial conclusion

I don't know if they changed the step up gearing at all either

65k would likely run hotter than blowers that did 53-55k
Old 12-04-2007, 01:20 PM
JET MECH

Originally Posted by CUxtopher
did you go down in teeth to slow the blower down?

pics of number 11...........willing to make another and sale it?

SI trim..........maybe we can get a badge for the rear of the car...... Nice setup btw.
with the 32 jackshaft, 28 s/c cog it stepped the rpm up! at slower engine speeds. the original rev up setup had the 34 jackshaft cog and 32 s/c cog with a 3.12 serp pulley(for reason of the stock 7000 rev up engine RPM). I know vortech did this so the engine would not go over the 9 psi boost level they wanted for a stock rev up engine. now if i put the 34 j/s cog back on with the 28 s/c cog and the 2.87 serp that is currently on it would definately over speed the blower At high RPM'S. I will post some pic's of the CAI when i have my front bumper skin back off. it is hidden with the bumper on, it mimic's the ati CAI set up in a way. i had to cut a 20" section out of my front bumper structure to get the clearance needed for the setup i have. the filter element and velocity stack sit right on top of the FMIC which is nice because the incomming cold air hits directly onto the intake filter.

Last edited by JET MECH; 12-04-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
JET MECH

Definitely let us know what you find out about the Si trim upgrade. If that works for you, I will probably go with your exact pulley setup. Like I said, I haven't done it yet for fear of overspinning the blower and having more bearing issues. I had one of the defective blowers sold this summer, and I would hate to have my G down another 3 weeks or so with more bearing problems.
i heard about that bearing problem they were having. i was one of the first people to recive the rev up vortech kits when they came out. no bearing problems here but i had other growing pains with the kit. i ended up working with vortech on the phone during and after the installation to work out some small kinks.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:50 PM
JET MECH

i do not know if anybody here is currently running the cog pulley combo i have on my rev up set up but if you want to this is what needs to be done. the cog belt needs to be a 5608mgt20 not the 6008mgt20 that the non rev up run's. secondly you have to run the belt over the idler pulley ( not under it as vortech instructs ) i know vortech dose not recommend this but i have been doing it for 3000 miles now and have not lost a belt yet! the ends of the belt do get a little frayed though. also on my 2.87 serp pulley i had to machine
.010" off of the back surface to clear the jackshaft bearing housing. lastly i media blasted the anodized coating from the belt suface of the 2.87 serp pulley with some aggresive media to give the pulley more "BITE". hope this helps if nobody has tried it. i like it and recommend it, but definately get retuned and run quality fuel.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Hexxum001

i do not know if anybody here is currently running the cog pulley combo i have on my rev up set up but if you want to this is what needs to be done. the cog belt needs to be a 5608mgt20 not the 6008mgt20 that the non rev up run's. secondly you have to run the belt over the idler pulley ( not under it as vortech instructs ) i know vortech dose not recommend this but i have been doing it for 3000 miles now and have not lost a belt yet! the ends of the belt do get a little frayed though. also on my 2.87 serp pulley i had to machine
.010" off of the back surface to clear the jackshaft bearing housing. lastly i media blasted the anodized coating from the belt suface of the 2.87 serp pulley with some aggresive media to give the pulley more "BITE". hope this helps if nobody has tried it. i like it and recommend it, but definately get retuned and run quality fuel.
Can you post pix of your engine bay?? I would like to see what your setup looks like. Thanks for that info too. I have spoken to Sam about a few of these possibilities, including going to the 2.62 pulley. So any and all info for the RevUp is much appreciated.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:21 PM
JET MECH

Can you post pix of your engine bay?? I would like to see what your setup looks like. Thanks for that info too. I have spoken to Sam about a few of these possibilities, including going to the 2.62 pulley. So any and all info for the RevUp is much appreciated.
i will as soon as my girl freind get's my camera back to me lol! on that 2.62 pulley mod watch out because with the belt having less surface area to bite to you may have belt slipping problems! you may want to consider a 34 j/s cog, 28 s/c cog and a 3.12 serp pulley. i would have to do the speed calculations on the vortech web site to see what the final s/c rpm would be. i think if you kept the stock rev up cog setup 34/32 and went to the 2.62 serp pulley it would be a bad idea. your better off recogging the back side to achive a higher s/c speed. just my two cents! and that dose not amount to much.

Quick Reply: Si TRIM VORTECH.