Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Si-Trim blown up already

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:27 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
I am not a Vortech fan...but they have been around for a long time, and with that they have sold many units , and when you sell that many you will have problems with some of them.

But you say you are going to Powerlab, but their Kit have NOT been sold to the public as yet. I have been around this game for a while and have seen hype after hype about new products from companies.....and have seen most of them go up like New Years fireworks.

I am not saying Powerlab does not have a good product....and I am not saying they do either......their kit has not been proven in daily use as yet.

Yes, I have seen the Dyno sheets and yes they make power....but can they stand up to the beating that most of you put Kits through?.....that has not been proven as yet.

All I am saying is, you have had bad luck with the turbo system you have now....so why jump into something thats this new...not even out yet? You should be considering at this point something that will make you a believer in FI again

Like I said before...I am not a fan of Vortech....and I will never buy one...but thats my opinion.
You make a very good point! Anytime a new product comes to market; there will always be questions and concerns.

Powerlab is already available to the market. There are (3) vehicles currently driving daily with a Powerlab single turbo kits. (1) with a built block, and (2) with stock blocks. Also, since Powerlab's release thread a few weeks ago, they have already sold a few kits.

The first Powerlab kit that was installed was actually put on Mike@IOS's 350Z back in May of '07. His car has been driven daily locally, and driven to cali and back a few times with the Powerlab kit on for 9 months so far, and he has had no issues.

I think once more people install the kit, and "put in thrugh it's paces". There will be more feedback on the forums. That will hopefully remove the if's, and's, or but', about it.

Good Luck with your Project Florida. Let us all know how it goes!!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
That does make sense. Basically like the Turbonetics ST and the hype about it when it first came out. Then some people started having overboost problems. Regardless if the problems were from a mod they put on the kit that it wasn't designed for or if it was a design issue it was something that very few were ready for and it cost them alot of money.

What does not make sense I am telling him to try something that has been trouble free and proven (ie: JWT, APS, GReddy) to date because of his past experiences instead of a product that is new to the market. He has already had 3 strikes with the kit he has now...so why not go with a proven product?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:02 AM
350z2go

powerlab ftw
Old 02-03-2008, 10:34 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
I am not a Vortech fan...but they have been around for a long time, and with that they have sold many units , and when you sell that many you will have problems with some of them.

But you say you are going to Powerlab, but their Kit have NOT been sold to the public as yet. I have been around this game for a while and have seen hype after hype about new products from companies.....and have seen most of them go up like New Years fireworks.

I am not saying Powerlab does not have a good product....and I am not saying they do either......their kit has not been proven in daily use as yet.

Yes, I have seen the Dyno sheets and yes they make power....but can they stand up to the beating that most of you put Kits through?.....that has not been proven as yet.

All I am saying is, you have had bad luck with the turbo system you have now....so why jump into something thats this new...not even out yet? You should be considering at this point something that will make you a believer in FI again

Like I said before...I am not a fan of Vortech....and I will never buy one...but thats my opinion.
+1
however Intense knows what they're doing. But you're right, time will tell what issues (if any) at all crop up over time. The advantage they have is the Z has been out for a long time now and they know the issues at hand with FI very well by now

but I agree, every time a new product comes out, it is hailed as the king of all things for the first few months
Old 02-03-2008, 11:02 AM
rocks

A turbo is a turbo. Learn more about them before bashing a new kits its really just some pipe connected to a turbo works like any other turbo...
Old 02-03-2008, 11:17 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by rocks
A turbo is a turbo. Learn more about them before bashing a new kits its really just some pipe connected to a turbo works like any other turbo...
it's not a matter of it being a turbo and some piping - all the kits have that.

it's a matter of how clean of a kit it is with how it lasts in the long run. Does it require you to remove the bumper brace, does it potentially mess up your AC, how does it handle the engine management, does it rub anything that it shouldn't, does it use anything that some people would consider cheesy or a band-aid part? etc etc
Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 AM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AND BACK ON TOPIC

Another possible cause of the seals going out and oil leaking from it , could be the BOV . The stock bov doesnt flow enough air to release the preasure fast enough . Of course its good to hold 18psi , but the flow isnt up there to take the preasure off the blower when the throttlebody closes . The SI trim may flow a little to much for it . I know the T-trim does and thats why [ along with the cog system ] I went to the biger BOV
Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Quamen

Originally Posted by XKR
What does not make sense I am telling him to try something that has been trouble free and proven (ie: JWT, APS, GReddy) to date because of his past experiences instead of a product that is new to the market. He has already had 3 strikes with the kit he has now...so why not go with a proven product?
I was agreeing that while the Powerlab looks good, it is not entirely proven i.e. the Turbonetics when it came out.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Hexxum001

Wow! I'm sorry to hear about all of the issues that you have gone through with your Vortech bro. 4 failed SC's is ridiculous. Good luck going turbo. In your case, I would probably do the same.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Thats ****ed up bro!! Hope u can switch to the ST with no prob..
Old 02-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Floridaboy1605

well i was only running 12 pounds for the first tune so i dont think that would have caused it.... and it got tuned wednesday sat thrusay and sat and then blew sat so it had like fewer than 500 miles on it..... and on the powerlab i like the feel of the single turbo our friend had a turbonetics kit last year and single is a little cheaper and ALOT easier to install!!!! unless someone wants to donate hahahaha jk!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
booger

What did you make with the second tune ?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:43 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by sentry65
it's not a matter of it being a turbo and some piping - all the kits have that.

it's a matter of how clean of a kit it is with how it lasts in the long run. Does it require you to remove the bumper brace, does it potentially mess up your AC, how does it handle the engine management, does it rub anything that it shouldn't, does it use anything that some people would consider cheesy or a band-aid part? etc etc
+1000000

Originally Posted by rocks
LMAO
Old 02-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Floridaboy1605

Originally Posted by booger
What did you make with the second tune ?
What i ment is the first tune on the si blower!!!!! i was going for a 16 psi tune in the spring but now its on to new horizons
Old 02-03-2008, 02:49 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

hopefully your money gets back to you. on a built motor, a sc is kinda silly anyhow. turbo is better is almost every way, and with the built motor, you can run way more power than a SC.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Floridaboy1605

Originally Posted by str8dum1
hopefully your money gets back to you. on a built motor, a sc is kinda silly anyhow. turbo is better is almost every way, and with the built motor, you can run way more power than a SC.
That is very true that is why im giving up on the charger and going ST
Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 PM
sentry65
the burninator

honestly I'd probably jump ship at the point you're at too.

I know in my case I'd probably end up going with a chevy V8 swap, but I don't have a built engine already
the powerlab kit does seem nice